[user not found] needs a Image
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:21 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:04 am

SO MUCH PERFORMANCE LEFT ON THE TABLE. :tuna:
I'm using voice to text here so forgive me if it's not perfect.

OEMs have a lot more parties that need satisfaction on tunes for engine units, the biggest one of which is probably emissions requirements, and then second reliability. this is especially important with turbo engines, because the closer you operate a turbo to its best efficiency range, the shorter it's life will be., so by definition all turbos on most OEM applications are a little bit quote oversized.

The emmisions component here is huge. if you're making more power you're making more higher cylinder pressures and you're making more nox, and that's just not acceptable to the government. again so by definition OEMs are leaving a little bit of power on the table to satisfy regulatory bodies. keep in mind technically speaking, when you install one of these tunes, you're probably in violation of federal law in some way or another. now I have a tuned car I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. The simple fact of the matter is is that you still derp around well below the engines peak operating efficiency range, probably using what is most of the original OEM range of the tune. so you're not really doing much more harm unless you're stomping on it.

so that's my opinion when you do a tune you have to be fully aware that you're picking up some of that power that the OEMs did leave on the table for at least the two reasons I mentioned, and probably many more that I don't even have a clue about. and you have to know that you're shortening the operational life of some of your components, and decreasing overall reliability. now is this probably enough to worry about, no but go into it with eye open.

:fax:
:meatspin:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

dubshow wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:41 am

OEMs have a lot more parties that need satisfaction on tunes for engine units, the biggest one of which is probably emissions requirements, and then second reliability. this is especially important with turbo engines, because the closer you operate a turbo to its best efficiency range, the shorter it's life will be., so by definition all turbos on most OEM applications are a little bit quote oversized.

The emmisions component here is huge. if you're making more power you're making more higher cylinder pressures and you're making more nox, and that's just not acceptable to the government. again so by definition OEMs are leaving a little bit of power on the table to satisfy regulatory bodies. keep in mind technically speaking, when you install one of these tunes, you're probably in violation of federal law in some way or another. now I have a tuned car I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. The simple fact of the matter is is that you still derp around well below the engines peak operating efficiency range, probably using what is most of the original OEM range of the tune. so you're not really doing much more harm unless you're stomping on it.

so that's my opinion when you do a tune you have to be fully aware that you're picking up some of that power that the OEMs did leave on the table for at least the two reasons I mentioned, and probably many more that I don't even have a clue about. and you have to know that you're shortening the operational life of some of your components, and decreasing overall reliability. now is this probably enough to worry about, no but go into it with eye open.

:meatspin:
Hey, that TD1 is the next guy's problem. I'm in and out of cars so fast it won't matter to me.

:kidding: :mostlyKidding:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:12 am I don’t tune for a reason... yes the power gainzzz are awesome but taking that gamble is annoying... it can be just fine but if you actually have an issue you’re sol.
Who gives a shit if you're a multi-millionaire? Yes, if you're in the 5% that has an issue, it's an inconvenience, but why not just go for it in this case?

I would absolutely tune my Bimmer if I cared about having more power.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I dig the :boxodicks: , mine would be covered with two tool boxes and numerous other :bs: 99.5% of the time.

:like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Apex wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:06 am

:dolphin:
The ARR has upgraded/beefed up heads from the factory! :fuckyeah:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:07 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:12 am I don’t tune for a reason... yes the power gainzzz are awesome but taking that gamble is annoying... it can be just fine but if you actually have an issue you’re sol.
Who gives a shit if you're a multi-millionaire? Yes, if you're in the 5% that has an issue, it's an inconvenience, but why not just go for it in this case?

Why is it about money ? Shit not working sucks. No matter whether it is a $15,000 corolla or a 15,000,000 zonda
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:07 pm

Why is it about money ? Shit not working sucks. No matter whether it is a $15,000 corolla or a 15,000,000 zonda
Because people with money have multiple cars, can rent cars NFG, can pay to have a shop :dealwithit: . I'd say given all that it's worth it if he'll enjoy the 911 more.

:iono: personally I'm just not that big into power past a certain point, I see no point in a car with more than stock C5ish power. I think even my F30 is plenty quick, the let down performance wise in that car is really in the sound, handling, throttle response, and steering.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:27 am

:notsure:

You missed the joke.
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:21 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:06 pm
Because people with money have multiple cars, can rent cars NFG, can pay to have a shop :dealwithit: . I'd say given all that it's worth it if he'll enjoy the 911 more.

:iono: personally I'm just not that big into power past a certain point, I see no point in a car with more than stock C5ish power. I think even my F30 is plenty quick, the let down performance wise in that car is really in the sound, handling, throttle response, and steering.
If money was no issue one would get the quicker Porsche. Plenty to chose from
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:33 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:21 pm

The quicker cars are AWD. That's not what I wanted in that car. All reviewers agree that the Turbo/Turbo S are the most boring 911 you can buy, and the AWD pretty much sucks the soul out of the car.

The GTS was the best choice for a street car.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:33 pm If money was no issue one would get the quicker Porsche. Plenty to chose from
The quicker cars are AWD. That's not what I wanted in that car. All reviewers agree that the Turbo/Turbo S are the most boring 911 you can buy, and the AWD pretty much sucks the soul out of the car.

I've never driven any Porsche and I approve this message.

:wrong:
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:44 pm

GT3? I dunno it is a slippery slope as they have 40 different 911 models so picking one is tricky as there are always trade offs
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

What Troy said... never driven a 911 but agree that yours is cooler :like:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

You type better by voice to text than actual type to text.

:impressive:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:22 am

You type better by voice to text than actual type to text.

:impressive:
:dat: :lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:17 am

GT3? I dunno it is a slippery slope as they have 40 different 911 models so picking one is tricky as there are always trade offs
If you live on the track a GT variant is where you want to be, but they are far from great street cars. So glad I listened to Fled and some others on this before I paid a premium and bought a GT3.

Even the GT3 touring has a no nonsense less comfortable suspension.

My car with SPASM and PDCC can be very firm or reasonably soft. Fine on the track and very good on the street.

Lots of dudes on Rennlist have posted about selling their new GT3 car and getting a GTS for these reasons.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
max225 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:17 am GT3? I dunno it is a slippery slope as they have 40 different 911 models so picking one is tricky as there are always trade offs
If you live on the track a GT variant is where you want to be, but they are far from great street cars. So glad I listened to Fled and some others on this before I paid a premium and bought a GT3.

My car with SPASM and PDCC can be very firm or reasonably soft. Fine on the track and very good on the street.

Lots of dudes on Rennlist have posted about selling their new GT3 car and getting a GTS for these reasons.

Could you have even bought a GT3 without buying 5 other models?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:45 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:

Yes, but I would have paid a premium over MSRP.

When I bought my car I had the option of 2 different GT3's that were "like new" with < 1,000 miles which is a game they play to be able to mark them up w/o Porsche getting on their case. They wanted $15-20k over MSRP. I could have done the same with two GT3RS' and one GT2RS, but they were $50k and $150k marked up, respectively.

The only thing you really gained by being a loyal repeat customer here was getting one at MSRP and getting an allocation to build to order specifically as you want.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:31 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Yes, but I would have paid a premium over MSRP.

When I bought my car I had the option of 2 different GT3's that were "like new" with < 1,000 miles which is a game they play to be able to mark them up w/o Porsche getting on their case. They wanted $15-20k over MSRP. I could have done the same with two GT3RS' and one GT2RS, but they were $50k and $150k marked up, respectively.

The only thing you really gained by being a loyal repeat customer here was getting one at MSRP and getting an allocation to build to order specifically as you want.
Lame. You made the right choice with the GTS :doe:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Got an update from Cobb on the instructions. They realized my car is not like the turbo, it has 1 harness for the spoiler instead a group of three, and it has a plate/subframe like the targa cars.

Only problem right now is the driver side tail light is being a PITA. Passenger side is out. Can't quite lift the spoiler out until I get that light out and it's definitely hanging up on something. The passenger side just pulled out easily..

Will try to make more progress tomorrow when I put the shifter, bleeder block, bushings and clutch stop on the R.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:popcorn:

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

This
Mother
Fucker
Will
Not
Come
Out

It feels like it is still locked in at the top right, where the bolts secure it to the car, and I can hear a "clunk" like it is hitting something when I try to remove it.

All the bolts are out, and I tried re-installing the bolts for the bracket thinking it might be a clearance thing. Also tried using a plastic trim tool to see it it was a clearance thing to the black subframe piece.... no dice. Really starting to feel like it needs a hammer and real pry bar at this point.

The passenger side came out easy peasy.

:rage:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:53 pm This
Mother
Fucker
Will
Not
Come
Out

It feels like it is still locked in at the top right, where the bolts secure it to the car, and I can hear a "clunk" like it is hitting something when I try to remove it.

All the bolts are out, and I tried re-installing the bolts for the bracket thinking it might be a clearance thing. Also tried using a plastic trim tool to see it it was a clearance thing to the black subframe piece.... no dice. Really starting to feel like it needs a hammer and real pry bar at this point.

The passenger side came out easy peasy.

:rage:
I feel like this is my DIY life sometimes. Easiest fucking things turn into Stalingrad.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Forum Bros to the rescue?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.