Waxer's Haus of Wax

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:30 am Hmmmm... The want is real. I can't wait to see this in person. 992 GT3

Yusssssss :drool:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:tits: :lickit:
Johnny_P

Any Jeep updates? How you like living with it now that y’all have some more seat time in it?
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:29 am Any Jeep updates? How you like living with it now that y’all have some more seat time in it?
:dat:

I'm curious about this as well, as I would like to pass a real world review onto my mom since she's looking to replace her Explorer Sport with one in the near future.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:30 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:29 am Any Jeep updates? How you like living with it now that y’all have some more seat time in it?

I'm curious about this as well, as I would like to pass a real world review onto my mom since she's looking to replace her Explorer Sport with one in the near future.
In short, we love it. I'll break down some points, but the formatting will probably be ugly.

Just a few things we like:
  • The JLU is everything that our JKU was and much, much more.
  • The JKU Rubicon on the street rode a lot like a bouncy truck where the JLU Rubicon rides more refined like an SUV. The JL handles better too with better cornering stiffness and less dramatic lean.
  • The LED lighting in the JL is a must have option. These things light up the road like a proper headlight. In the JKU we often had to verify if the lights were even on.
  • The MFD display in the cluster is good and has great options you can customize.
  • The interior fit and finish is much better than the JK variant, everything fits and so far nothing rattles. Everyone that gets in it immediately comments on how they love the matte red dash of the Rubicon, and how everything feels solid.
  • In the JK, the carpet was kind of a joke. It would bunch up at the center console and never fit quite right... but it was a Jeep, so who cares.. right? Well, with the JL it fits very tight and nice, so if you don't plan on pulling it out and putting it in 50 times, it looks great and actually fits the floorboards.
  • The uConnect 8.4 with Alpine system is outstanding. I'm now to the point that I can say it is FAR better than the Mylink Bose systems in my Z06 and the ZR2. The screen is vibrant and bright and the backup camera is full color. The response of the system to touch is instant. There is no lag that you can perceive.
  • Power in the V6 is great, and the A8 transmission with the 4:10 gears is a game changer vs the 5 speed/3.73's my JKU had.
  • Hill descent and sway bar disconnect work great, as do the front and rear lockers.
Things I would nit-pick:
  • Rocker rails are not really good for off-road. If you're going to need to use them I would spend the $500ish and get aftermarket rails that frame mount. With the OEM units if you end up on the rocker rails you're probably going to be bending the body panels.
  • The bolts on the steel bumper and cowl are the same as the JK, a black oxide finish that eventually will rust inside the torx grooves where the socket touched them and look ugly.
  • Due to the design of the vehicle there is very little storage that you don't see on first glance. If you're looking for obscured storage, it ain't gonna happen. There is a small compartment under the floor in the rear, where the subwoofer was in the JKU. I can fit a small (very small) bag in there that has a pair of gloves, tire plug kit, VAIR inflator, a couple D rings and I have a 35 foot snatch/recovery strap with it. That area is stuffed to the max. I added some Molle bags to the webbing on the back of the front seats and now have a bit more storage. There are unlimited options if you're willing to hang stuff from the roll bars.
  • Like the JK, the entry and exit of the rear seats is limited by the short doors and the rear fender flares. Anyone getting in and out WILL rub the fender flares, so I recommend doing as I did on both Jeeps.... get the black plastic fenders as painted ones will get trashed pretty quick.
  • The speedo disagrees with itself. At 90 MPH (GPS verified) the analog speedo will say 95ish when the digital option says 90. At 65 on the analog speedo you are really doing 63 as verified by the digital speedo and GPS.
  • Still don't like the loud fan when the A/C is cranked, but I can live with it.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:30 am

• In the JK, the carpet was kind of a joke. It would bunch up at the center console and never fit quite right... but it was a Jeep, so who cares.. right? Well, with the JL it fits very tight and nice, so if you don't plan on pulling it out and putting it in 50 times, it looks great and actually fits the floorboards.
This is one of my few complaints. The carpet that comes in from the trunk/hatch area around the wall/side of the rear driver's side seat will not stay put and is constantly coming untucked. Not a huge issue as I don't ever have anyone in my back seat, but I see it when I open those doors to put stuff in there and take it back out and I absoluetly have to spend a few minutes fiddling with it each time to tuck it inot place or it'll drive me crazy.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

In short, we love it. I'll break down some points, but the formatting will probably be ugly.

• The JKU Rubicon on the street rode a lot like a bouncy truck where the JLU Rubicon rides more refined like an SUV. The JL handles better too with better cornering stiffness and less dramatic lean.
  • The LED lighting in the JL is a must have option. These things light up the road like a proper headlight. In the JKU we often had to verify if the lights were even on.
  • The MFD display in the cluster is good and has great options you can customize.
  • The interior fit and finish is much better than the JK variant, everything fits and so far nothing rattles. Everyone that gets in it immediately comments on how they love the matte red dash of the Rubicon, and how everything feels solid.
  • The uConnect 8.4 with Alpine system is outstanding. I'm now to the point that I can say it is FAR better than the Mylink Bose systems in my Z06 and the ZR2. The screen is vibrant and bright and the backup camera is full color. The response of the system to touch is instant. There is no lag that you can perceive.
  • Power in the V6 is great, and the A8 transmission with the 4:10 gears is a game changer vs the 5 speed/3.73's my JKU had.
  • Hill descent and sway bar disconnect work great, as do the front and rear lockers.
Things I would nit-pick:
  • Rocker rails are not really good for off-road. If you're going to need to use them I would spend the $500ish and get aftermarket rails that frame mount. With the OEM units if you end up on the rocker rails you're probably going to be bending the body panels.
  • The bolts on the steel bumper and cowl are the same as the JK, a black oxide finish that eventually will rust inside the torx grooves where the socket touched them and look ugly.
  • Due to the design of the vehicle there is very little storage that you don't see on first glance. If you're looking for obscured storage, it ain't gonna happen. There is a small compartment under the floor in the rear, where the subwoofer was in the JKU. I can fit a small (very small) bag in there that has a pair of gloves, tire plug kit, VAIR inflator, a couple D rings and I have a 35 foot snatch/recovery strap with it. That area is stuffed to the max. I added some Molle bags to the webbing on the back of the front seats and now have a bit more storage. There are unlimited options if you're willing to hang stuff from the roll bars.
  • Like the JK, the entry and exit of the rear seats is limited by the short doors and the rear fender flares. Anyone getting in and out WILL rub the fender flares, so I recommend doing as I did on both Jeeps.... get the black plastic fenders as painted ones will get trashed pretty quick.
  • The speedo disagrees with itself. At 90 MPH (GPS verified) the analog speedo will say 95ish when the digital option says 90. At 65 on the analog speedo you are really doing 63 as verified by the digital speedo and GPS.
  • Still don't like the loud fan when the A/C is cranked, but I can live with it.
:bravo: :mindblown: :howdy:

Thank you sir, that is perfect! I'll def be passing this info onto her and see if that helps her make up her mind soon.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Things I would nit-pick:
Comprehensive. Thanks. 90% chance this is my next vehicle when the furor over these dies down.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Things I would nit-pick:
Comprehensive. Thanks. 90% chance this is my next vehicle when the furor over these dies down.
There is no Furor, they were sitting with 5k on the hood here before negotiating for labor day. Now at 3500. The days of "no discounts" on Wranglers are over. FCA is trying to MOVE these bitches...
SAWCE

Things I would nit-pick:
Can we go wheeling together after you get it?

In Oklahoma, of course.

:trollface:
max225

Things I would nit-pick:
Random Q but not where do you take this thing off roading around here? Any lightish non rock crawling trails you've been on lately? I don't think I'd ever enjoy full on crawling ala

Would put my driveshaft into that rear end tho
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:41 pm
Random Q but not where do you take this thing off roading around here? Any lightish non rock crawling trails you've been on lately? I don't think I'd ever enjoy full on crawling ala

Would put my driveshaft into that rear end tho
For mellow stuff in the parks there's

Carnegie

and

Hollister Hills

I have some friends that own some land up near Jackson that backs up to the national forest where we go shooting and there are some good trails up there too that are not "setup" like the parks.
max225

Interesting Carnegie is relatively close. Could be an interesting place. Does it get really crowded? You'd think with the recent push to "Off road all the things" these little parks would get quite swamped.

Good recommendations thank you :)
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:41 pm

Can we go wheeling together after you get it?

In Oklahoma, of course.

:trollface:
Oklahoma 2018 Events

Get Your Ad Here
Only $100/Year
Jan - Dec
Email Us Get Your Ad Here
Only $100/Year
Jan - Dec
Only $100/Year
Jan - Dec
Only $100/Year
Jan - Dec
Email Us
Date Title - Sample Video Address City/Town Link / Contact Media Type

Pages are usually in transition from December - April as locations set their dates for events

Apr 07, 2018 Lenna Mud Bog 114286 Lenna Rd. Eufaula, Ok Facebook Comp Bog
Apr 07-08, 2018 Paden Mud Bog 361130E 995 Rd Paden, OK Website Comp Bog
May 05, 2018 Lenna Mud Bog 114286 Lenna Rd. Eufaula, Ok Facebook Comp Bog
June 02, 2018 Paden Mud Bog 361130E 995 Rd Paden, OK Website Comp Bog
June 02, 2018 Lenna Mud Bog 114286 Lenna Rd. Eufaula, Ok Facebook Comp Bog
July 07, 2018 Lenna Mud Bog 114286 Lenna Rd. Eufaula, Ok Facebook Comp Bog
Aug 04, 2018 Lenna Mud Bog 114286 Lenna Rd. Eufaula, Ok Facebook Comp Bog
Sept 01, 2018 Paden Mud Bog 361130E 995 Rd Paden, OK Website Comp Bog
Sept 01, 2018 Lenna Mud Bog 114286 Lenna Rd. Eufaula, Ok Facebook Comp Bog
Oct 05-07, 2018 Mudslingers Fesival OK 4160 N2760 Rd Rush Springs, Ok Facebook Multi Event
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Mud Bogs? :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:39 pm

There is no Furor, they were sitting with 5k on the hood here before negotiating for labor day. Now at 3500. The days of "no discounts" on Wranglers are over. FCA is trying to MOVE these bitches...
Still going to wait to see what happens in 2020.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:40 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Eventually, shit will crash and burn just like it does every 8-12 years. We're on the long tooth of our epic gravy train, especially here in the bay area where the Chinese have sustained our non-sustainable lifestyle because they own us and everything around us.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:44 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Eventually, shit will crash and burn just like it does every 8-12 years. We're on the long tooth of our epic gravy train, especially here in the bay area where the Chinese have sustained our non-sustainable lifestyle because they own us and everything around us.
I share that opinion. Shares of APPL were $150 in Oct of 2017. Now they are $230? Kbrah. Still have the memory of my balls getting kicked in by 2008 and to a lesser degree, 2001, and will have that forever, which is a good thing. Everybody has the attitude that the good times will never end. Our asshat city officials are acting like Palm Springs is Santa Barbara or Monaco in terms of regulation, just like 2005. I've got plenty of exposure to the market but this time I've got plenty of cash and zero debt. I'm also just happy to wake up in the morning so I'll be just fine next time the world burns and every upside down asshat wonders where have all the good times gone.

As for the Jeep, I'd just as soon seen what "special editions" emerge and let the aftermarket build a bit.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:55 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:44 pm

I share that opinion. Shares of APPL were $150 in Oct of 2017. Now they are $230? Kbrah. Still have the memory of my balls getting kicked in by 2008 and to a lesser degree, 2001, and will have that forever, which is a good thing. Everybody has the attitude that the good times will never end. Our asshat city officials are acting like Palm Springs is Santa Barbara or Monaco in terms of regulation, just like 2005. I've got plenty of exposure to the market but this time I've got plenty of cash and zero debt. I'm also just happy to wake up in the morning so I'll be just fine next time the world burns and every upside down asshat wonders where have all the good times gone.

As for the Jeep, I'd just as soon seen what "special editions" emerge and let the aftermarket build a bit.
Wranglers must have one of the if not the biggest aftermarket support in the automotive landscape period. What exactly do you need them to push out for you that you can't get already?

You can start with a sport for 35k OTD and bolt on some HIDs+wheels from the rubi and call it a day, or if you feel like showing up your local milfs in the desert you can opt for a rubi for 50k OTD and never fuck with it, because :butwhy:
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:39 pm Mud Bogs? :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

Well that was a hell of an update, thanks Waxer. This truck sounds incredibru. I really gotta check one out.

Really odd about the speedometer discrepancy. Does the digi speed show all the time?
SAWCE

I actually checked my digital speedo versus my analog speedo today because of this, and they matched. Didn't check against a GPS also.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:18 pm I actually checked my digital speedo versus my analog speedo today because of this, and they matched. Didn't check against a GPS also.
My old JKU was good, this is only on the JL's, but they did a complete overhaul on the electronics and control modules.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I want a JL.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:25 pmI want a JL.
For sure.