Waxer's Haus of Wax

Strut your greasy stuff!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm Real question: Does the payment on $2.5M of :haus: actually make that much of a dent in your cashflow? When you're making 7 figures, that should still leave an assload of cash to burn on booze every month.
Futures are never guaranteed. A good chunk of my more recent income is tied to my company's stock price. If that goes away I'm going to take a decent haircut when it comes to disposable cash.

5 year chart:

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:19 pm

It's almost a decade? That's a long time.

Seems like these are the factors to consider in no particular order.

1. How much happiness is the new place going to bring YOU.
2. How much happiness is the new place going to bring WIFE.
3. How much :sad: will two epic payments cause you vs. aforesaid happiness.
4. Will it significantly hurt your ability to develop your Nevada property the way you want it?
5. Which is better, new house or full on asshat spending whenever you want for the next 9 years? Let's face it, 7 digits/yr, zero crotchfruit, no drug habits and a paid off everything else leave quite a bit of discretionary spending. Is this really making you happy?

9 years is in fact a good chunk of life and it's GOOD LIFE....you and your wife have your health and boatloads of cash, that's an epic confluence. Question is whether
new house is better or unfettered freedom is better. I'd also heavily weigh how much the Nevada project will be impacted. Pretty good problems to have doe.
You hit just about all the nails right on the head.

I've been going over these points since Saturday and everything tells me that we both will be happier in a new setting here while we wait for her to retire. We discussed getting a cheaper house here for the time being, but with anything in the $600-800K range there is a very good chance we will be near rental homes again, which I do not want to deal with. Moving up past $1M almost guarantees that the people in them will be owners as nobody around here is going to rent a house when they can buy, and anyone that can't buy won't be able to deal with a rent around $8k/month.

My wife keeps saying that 8-9 years isn't a long time and we should probably just hold out, because our last 16 years here have flown by... but we are getting older. The only point I agree with her on about this is that if the property values drop, the more expensive homes almost always take the bigger percentage hits as people are afraid to buy big. In that case we could be stuck losing money on it, or having to hold it longer than we want.
All true. If I was standing in those shoes, and they seem pretty comfy, I would have to weigh how much enjoyment I would have purchasing/developing, and using the Nevada property. If you could get over there a lot and take your time making it how you want it, that would offset walking out my front door and seeing a lot of Plastidip. We're not moving out of our humble abode but 1) I'm not buying another house in California and 2) our neighbors don't bum me out if fact they are quite awesome.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Oh wow those floor plans, those houses seem pretty incredible. Super :jelly:

Do what will make you happiest, man. 8-9 years is a hell of a long time IMO.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:36 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:26 pm

You hit just about all the nails right on the head.

I've been going over these points since Saturday and everything tells me that we both will be happier in a new setting here while we wait for her to retire. We discussed getting a cheaper house here for the time being, but with anything in the $600-800K range there is a very good chance we will be near rental homes again, which I do not want to deal with. Moving up past $1M almost guarantees that the people in them will be owners as nobody around here is going to rent a house when they can buy, and anyone that can't buy won't be able to deal with a rent around $8k/month.

My wife keeps saying that 8-9 years isn't a long time and we should probably just hold out, because our last 16 years here have flown by... but we are getting older. The only point I agree with her on about this is that if the property values drop, the more expensive homes almost always take the bigger percentage hits as people are afraid to buy big. In that case we could be stuck losing money on it, or having to hold it longer than we want.
All true. If I was standing in those shoes, and they seem pretty comfy, I would have to weigh how much enjoyment I would have purchasing/developing, and using the Nevada property. If you could get over there a lot and take your time making it how you want it, that would offset walking out my front door and seeing a lot of Plastidip. We're not moving out of our humble abode but 1) I'm not buying another house in California and 2) our neighbors don't bum me out if fact they are quite awesome.
Hmm..
  • I could technically be in Nevada every weekend. The area we want is 4 hours from here.
  • Most of my frustration with my renter neighbors tends to be on the weekends.
  • Not buying into California again and paying the taxes is something I have been saying for awhile.
  • It's awesome you have great neighbors. You're lucky man.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Hmm..
  • I could technically be in Nevada every weekend. The area we want is 4 hours from here.
  • Not buying into California again and paying the taxes is something I have been saying for awhile.
There are a lot of people who are weekend warriors, be that a cabin, boat, camping, hunting, fishing, whatever. Maybe its time to be those guys. You have hour flexibility/ when its time to bust ass its time to bust ass, when its not its not and your wife has summers off. That's a lot time for her to be bossing around contractors on your epic log cabin or whatever you're doing.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:41 pm Oh wow those floor plans, those houses seem pretty incredible. Super :jelly:

Yeah these places are pretty incredible. One of the options in the plan 1 for the "Wine Alcove" is a completely enclosed setup with bottle racks from floor to ceiling (12 foot) on each of the three walls with a glass door/wall and it has its own temperature controller for that room.

Made me want to super impulse buy on the spot, but the lots where we can get a plan 1 kinda sucked, all the houses around them are 2 stories with the master bedroom balconies looking down into our back yard. I don't need an audience when we get a pool. :lol:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Hmm..
There are a lot of people who are weekend warriors, be that a cabin, boat, camping, hunting, fishing, whatever. Maybe its time to be those guys. You have hour flexibility/ when its time to bust ass its time to bust ass, when its not its not and your wife has summers off. That's a lot time for her to be bossing around contractors on your epic log cabin or whatever you're doing.
True. One thing we already planned for Nevada is that if I can get decent internet it would be pretty easy for me to go up there for a week or so at a time in the summer when the wife is off.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:49 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:41 pm Oh wow those floor plans, those houses seem pretty incredible. Super :jelly:

Yeah these places are pretty incredible. One of the options in the plan 1 for the "Wine Alcove" is a completely enclosed setup with bottle racks from floor to ceiling (12 foot) on each of the three walls with a glass door/wall and it has its own temperature controller for that room.

Made me want to super impulse buy on the spot, but the lots where we can get a plan 1 kinda sucked, all the houses around them are 2 stories with the master bedroom balconies looking down into our back yard. I don't need an audience when we get a pool. :lol:
Holy shit

Yeah plan 1 looks rather :jimp: with the gated courtyard thing going on and workshop with a separate entrance. Helloooooo bike cave.

Agree the lot you noted is one of the better ones, especially if it's looking out to a park that will never get developed into anything.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:54 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm

True. One thing we already planned for Nevada is that if I can get decent internet it would be pretty easy for me to go up there for a week or so at a time in the summer when the wife is off.
I missed the Nevada thing... deets? Where is the plot?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:55 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:49 pm

Holy shit

Yeah plan 1 looks rather :jimp: with the gated courtyard thing going on and workshop with a separate entrance. Helloooooo bike cave.

Agree the lot you noted is one of the better ones, especially if it's looking out to a park that will never get developed into anything.
Yeah, the "workshop" is a third garage that is just a bit too short to be called a garage, but perfect for bikes, compressor, tools and benches. 12'x16' I believe and can have it's own 100A breaker panel from the option sheet we saw.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm Real question: Does the payment on $2.5M of :haus: actually make that much of a dent in your cashflow? When you're making 7 figures, that should still leave an assload of cash to burn on booze every month.
calm down :mahtroy: thats still like ~$7k/per house per month BEFORE insurance and taxes. So youd be about ~$160k/yr in payments before the other variable. That would be a consideration in ANYONE'S budget.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Hmm..

Seems like you have a solid plan. Vacate every weekend and give them the finger. I wouldn't waste cash buying another place that could be a volatile housing market (at over inflating pricing) when you are looking to eject in the foreseeable future.

Fuck CA taxes.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Hmm..

Seems like you have a solid plan. Vacate every weekend and give them the finger. I wouldn't waste cash buying another place that could be a volatile housing market (at over inflating pricing) when you are looking to eject in the foreseeable future.

Fuck CA taxes.
Yeah, there's so much I hate here, but also so much I love here.... I know when I can do the full time move though I will get over it... but for now there are nice things about this place, they just get outweighed when you look at the financial part of it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also,

plan 1 is pretty sweet from someone who has looked at a lot of plans. I like that outdoor courtyard (is it outdoor?) between garage and "shop"
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

dubshow wrote:
calm down :mahtroy: thats still like ~$7k/per house per month BEFORE insurance and taxes. So youd be about ~$160k/yr in payments before the other variable. That would be a consideration in ANYONE'S budget.
:notsure:

That's only like 10% of their gross income, :bruh:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:09 pm Also,

plan 1 is pretty sweet from someone who has looked at a lot of plans. I like that outdoor courtyard (is it outdoor?) between garage and "shop"
it is outdoor and has the option of a fireplace and wall mount TV, just like the covered Patio. Every room, including the courtyard and patio are wired for RG6 and Cat-6 by default with option for Fiber as well. Each house also has an "AV closet" that is air conditioned and has lots of power inside where the patch panel terminates for all the coax, network and speakers throughout the house. Pretty nice to be able to put all your receivers and amps in a climate controlled closet and use an RF remote for everything.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:14 pm

it is outdoor and has the option of a fireplace and wall mount TV, just like the covered Patio. Every room, including the courtyard and patio are wired for RG6 and Cat-6 by default with option for Fiber as well. Each house also has an "AV closet" that is air conditioned and has lots of power inside where the patch panel terminates for all the coax, network and speakers throughout the house. Pretty nice to be able to put all your receivers and amps in a climate controlled closet and use an RF remote for everything.
Nice touch. Pretty sure heat blew up my last cable modem.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:11 pm
dubshow wrote:
:notsure:

I mean, I don't know the details of income levels, but you do realize even showing a hypothetical $1M income on paper is very different than what you are left to pay bills with... Take 50% away real quick and say you now have $500k/yr. $160k before taxes and ins, which is prolly closer to $200k all in if floating 2 house notes per year. Thats now 40% of your actual budget...
troyguitar

dubshow wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:11 pm :notsure:

I mean, I don't know the details of income levels, but you do realize even showing a hypothetical $1M income on paper is very different than what you are left to pay bills with... Take 50% away real quick and say you now have $500k/yr. $160k before taxes and ins, which is prolly closer to $200k all in if floating 2 house notes per year. Thats now 40% of your actual budget...
I know. Living on only $300k a year after taxes and expenses would be really tough! How would you do it?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:14 pm

Sounds well thought out and designed. I browse houses often. Found this "comparable" thing here in airboat land. Gawked at the $770k tag. Its about 30mins outside city, with terrible commuter traffic. For the land, and CA premium $1.3M sounds right on money for all the premium features in the house. Better than most things we can get around here with out hiring a full on custom team.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8279 ... lpage=true
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 pm
dubshow wrote:
I know. Living on only $300k a year after taxes and expenses would be really tough! How would you do it?
It ain't as easy as it sounds.

Just ask anyone that won the lottery how they went broke 20 months later. :hue:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 pm
dubshow wrote:
oh :mahtroy:

stop fixating on numbers. Sure, that left over is triple my household gross. :aintcare:

I had a similar :mindblown: moment when I was asked to design a 1 "family room" addition with kitchen update to a hunting camp... At an old cotton plantation ( circa 1840s?).

Was talking budget. Owner said around $300-500. I said sounded high per sqft. He said, no Total. My jaw about dropped. Lesson: don't count others money.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:24 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 pm I know. Living on only $300k a year after taxes and expenses would be really tough! How would you do it?
It ain't as easy as it sounds.

Just ask anyone that won the lottery how they went broke 20 months later. :hue:
But its like you win the lottery every year!

:mindblown: :mindblown: :mindblown: :mindblown: :mindblown:
:mindblown: :troywax: :troywax: :troywax: :mindblown:
:mindblown: :troywax: :trollface: :troywax: :mindblown:
:mindblown: :troywax: :troywax: :troywax: :mindblown:
:mindblown: :mindblown: :mindblown: :mindblown: :mindblown:
troyguitar

dubshow wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 pm I know. Living on only $300k a year after taxes and expenses would be really tough! How would you do it?

stop fixating on numbers. Sure, that left over is triple my household gross. :aintcare:

I had a similar :mindblown: moment when I was asked to design a 1 "family room" addition with kitchen update to a hunting camp... At an old cotton plantation ( circa 1840s?).

Was talking budget. Owner said around $300-500. I said sounded high per sqft. He said, no Total. My jaw about dropped. Lesson: don't count others money.
The point was that 10% of gross on housing payments is not a lot of money. Most people spend at least that much.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:30 pm
dubshow wrote:

The point was that 10% of gross on housing payments is not a lot of money. Most people spend at least that much.
I spend 30%.

#poorgettingpoorer