coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Installed the new MAF tube over lunch, super easy install. Was harder getting the new firewall grommet in place than anything else.

At idle and low throttle situations it sounds exactly the same. Once you get to roughly atmospheric pressure or are just beginning to build boost is where I noticed the biggest difference. No more dying Darth Vader noises at partial throttle, just the mechanical whirling goodness of a tubo boxer engine. At WOT the cabin is definitely quieter, and what you do hear are all the spinning bits from the drivetrain and rotating assembly. It's sort of a more old school sound, and I really like it. Gets a 5/7 from me, now the car just needs a bit more burble without the drone of the factory setup, but that'd be :waxer:.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Starting to have some problems creep up. I'm getting a clunk in the suspension from the driver's side front. It's hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from, sometimes it even sounds like it's in the dash, but from the feedback I'm getting through the steering wheel it seems to be something more than that. Over bigger undulations the thing feels solid, but at slow speeds over jittery impacts, I get a rattle/clunk from what sounds like the shock tower area. I notice it mostly in my parking garage at work over the expansion joints between floors.

Passenger front wheel bearing might be starting to go. I don't notice it often, but with the windows down on streets with cars parked on the curb I can hear the screeching/scraping noise bounce back at me. Fun.

Sunroof rattle at this point is unbearable. If it's vented that thing chirps like a lady bird who wants to make some babies. Fully closed and shade drawn is the only way to make it shut up. Fun! :triggered:

Only issue I had to deal with in the GTI over the first 12 months was the wastegate rattle, which was fixed with a $.50 clip. This bodes well. :rolleyes:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:35 pm Starting to have some problems creep up. I'm getting a clunk in the suspension from the driver's side front. It's hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from, sometimes it even sounds like it's in the dash, but from the feedback I'm getting through the steering wheel it seems to be something more than that. Over bigger undulations the thing feels solid, but at slow speeds over jittery impacts, I get a rattle/clunk from what sounds like the shock tower area. I notice it mostly in my parking garage at work over the expansion joints between floors.

Passenger front wheel bearing might be starting to go. I don't notice it often, but with the windows down on streets with cars parked on the curb I can hear the screeching/scraping noise bounce back at me. Fun.

Sunroof rattle at this point is unbearable. If it's vented that thing chirps like a lady bird who wants to make some babies. Fully closed and shade drawn is the only way to make it shut up. Fun! :triggered:

Only issue I had to deal with in the GTI over the first 12 months was the wastegate rattle, which was fixed with a $.50 clip. This bodes well. :rolleyes:
My GTI sunroof did exactly what you're describing and I :fshitup: every time I got in that fucking car. Truly hated the car because of that. Sorry dude. I really understand the frustration there.

The clunk may just be an anomaly of the AWD system. Mine clunks around tight corners or undulating surfaces. I was a little concerned at first, then hopped on some forums and found a bunch of old heads that basically said "welcome to owning an STI" and now I :aintcare: But you could get it checked out for sure. Another thing.... this car is sensitive to tire pressure. Check your pressures, it might go away. Mine clunks more often if the tire pressures are off.

You sure the screeching/scraping isn't just something like rusty rotors? That's a bit odd. I'd look into that one a bit more. My GTI was making horrible scraping noises once, and it turned out to be a rock wedged between the disc and the dust shield in the back :lol: Just jiggled the shield around and it dropped out.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:35 pm Starting to have some problems creep up. I'm getting a clunk in the suspension from the driver's side front. It's hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from, sometimes it even sounds like it's in the dash, but from the feedback I'm getting through the steering wheel it seems to be something more than that. Over bigger undulations the thing feels solid, but at slow speeds over jittery impacts, I get a rattle/clunk from what sounds like the shock tower area. I notice it mostly in my parking garage at work over the expansion joints between floors.

Unfortunately all cars have issues over time. Don't let it spoil the fun. See if the :dillerman: can assist but if not... :aintcare:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:43 pm My GTI sunroof did exactly what you're describing and I :fshitup: every time I got in that fucking car. Truly hated the car because of that. Sorry dude. I really understand the frustration there.

The clunk may just be an anomaly of the AWD system. Mine clunks around tight corners or undulating surfaces. I was a little concerned at first, then hopped on some forums and found a bunch of old heads that basically said "welcome to owning an STI" and now I :aintcare: But you could get it checked out for sure. Another thing.... this car is sensitive to tire pressure. Check your pressures, it might go away. Mine clunks more often if the tire pressures are off.

You sure the screeching/scraping isn't just something like rusty rotors? That's a bit odd. I'd look into that one a bit more. My GTI was making horrible scraping noises once, and it turned out to be a rock wedged between the disc and the dust shield in the back :lol: Just jiggled the shield around and it dropped out.
The sunroof thing just sucks. Wish I could have bought a base w/Harmon Kardon instead of the limited. The plastic pieces that run along the tracks are flimsy and I can sort of replicate the sound by tapping those down against the roof. Not totally positive that's where the noises are coming from, but I might try to put some felt or rubber tape underneath them first.

As far as the AWD system, I definitely get some herky-jerky motions at slow speeds if I don't clutch-in, but I'm getting the clunks only from one side even with the clutch disengaged or in neutral. And it's gotten worse over the last week or two. I'll have the :dillerman: check it out when I have them sync the TPMS sensors in the summer setup.

Re: the wheel bearing, the rotors aren't rusty, and it doesn't only happen right after I start driving the car. Could just be a pebble stuck in the dust shield or something, though, I suppose.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:43 pm My GTI sunroof did exactly what you're describing and I :fshitup: every time I got in that fucking car. Truly hated the car because of that. Sorry dude. I really understand the frustration there.

The sunroof thing just sucks. Wish I could have bought a base w/Harmon Kardon instead of the limited. The plastic pieces that run along the tracks are flimsy and I can sort of replicate the sound by tapping those down against the roof. Not totally positive that's where the noises are coming from, but I might try to put some felt or rubber tape underneath them first.

As far as the AWD system, I definitely get some herky-jerky motions at slow speeds if I don't clutch-in, but I'm getting the clunks only from one side even with the clutch disengaged or in neutral. And it's gotten worse over the last week or two. I'll have the :dillerman: check it out when I have them sync the TPMS sensors in the summer setup.

Re: the wheel bearing, the rotors aren't rusty, and it doesn't only happen right after I start driving the car. Could just be a pebble stuck in the dust shield or something, though, I suppose.
Hm. Yeah I'd check tire pressures. You might have one that's like 2 psi off. If not I guess it could be a strut bearing or something.
Herky jerky motions at low speed are driveline lash and light weight flywheel shit.

I never want a sunroof again. Sad because I loved it when it was working. Also sad because the stock STI stereo is rather :disgust: which in itself is :disgust: if you're paying more than $30k for a car it should have an acceptable stereo.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:12 pm Hm. Yeah I'd check tire pressures. You might have one that's like 2 psi off. If not I guess it could be a strut bearing or something.
Herky jerky motions at low speed are driveline lash and light weight flywheel shit.

I never want a sunroof again. Sad because I loved it when it was working. Also sad because the stock STI stereo is rather :disgust: which in itself is :disgust: if you're paying more than $30k for a car it should have an acceptable stereo.
Hm, yeah I'll check the tire pressures. They look fine, but :iono:, I'm not usually super anal about that.

The sunroof I never actually had any issues with in my MK6, and I loved it. Something about that goofy rotary control was a pleasure to use, plus the car just looked good with it vented. This one, though, makes me :rage:.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:12 pm Hm. Yeah I'd check tire pressures. You might have one that's like 2 psi off. If not I guess it could be a strut bearing or something.

Hm, yeah I'll check the tire pressures. They look fine, but :iono:, I'm not usually super anal about that.

The sunroof I never actually had any issues with in my MK6, and I loved it. Something about that goofy rotary control was a pleasure to use, plus the car just looked good with it vented. This one, though, makes me :rage:.
:wrong:
:ludacris: Everyone knows that VW cannot make a normal functioning sunroof. Every single last one of them ever made over the past several decades all rattle, leak, break, and give you cancer.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Ready for spring, bitches. :fuckyeah:Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

max225

wap wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:48 pm

:ludacris: Everyone knows that VW cannot make a normal functioning sunroof. Every single last one of them ever made over the past several decades all rattle, leak, break, and give you cancer.
My stepmoms 2011 panomaric roof works flawlessly never a peep or a sound and it is epic big. Great car feature.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
coogles wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:55 pm Ready for spring, bitches. :fuckyeah:Image

Peppered for Cheezits and Cheerios?

Not in the slightest. I have no idea how I'm going to handle the spitups and blowouts in the car without flipping the fuck out.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote:
wap wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:48 pm :wrong:
My stepmoms 2011 panomaric roof works flawlessly never a peep or a sound and it is epic big. Great car feature.
:wap: , is that you?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

[user not found] wrote:
coogles wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:55 pm Ready for spring, bitches. :fuckyeah:Image

My kid used to look me right in the eyes before he would dump solids or liquids on the floor of my house/car/etc. Highlights included formula from a bottle between the seats of the car, a bowl of spaghetti, tomato sauce and meatballs on the dining room floor and thr list goes on.
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:45 pm
Unpossible.
Shut your lying mouth.
wap

What kind of car?
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:28 pm

:amaze:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:44 pm
max225 wrote: My stepmoms 2011 panomaric roof works flawlessly never a peep or a sound and it is epic big. Great car feature.
:wap: , is that you?
Yes.

I am :225: 's stepmom.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:47 pm
[user not found] wrote:

My kid used to look me right in the eyes before he would dump solids or liquids on the floor of my house/car/etc. Highlights included formula from a bottle between the seats of the car, a bowl of spaghetti, tomato sauce and meatballs on the dining room floor and thr list goes on.
:disgust:
max225

wap wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:15 pm
What kind of car?
Q5 Milfmobile
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:15 pm

What kind of car?
Q5 Milfmobile
PicsOfMilf
max225

wap wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:49 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Q5 Milfmobile
PicsOfMilf
Notsouthernnocare
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:53 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:49 pm

PicsOfMilf
Notsouthernnocare
:lol: :wat:
Johnny_P

:dat:

But only on oktoberfest cars.
Johnny_P

:megusta:

I was just thinking I need to switch to summer rams.