The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:28 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Depends. Man I took a new way home today and legit was catching air going 5 MPH on this one “road” that has been patched over roughly 40 times. The want for a long travel vehicle that can just plow over shit is getting real. Driving around here is fucking disgusting.
Live somewhere less shitty? :iono:

I can honestly commute just fine 30 miles a day in my Corvette. The only place it sucks is the actual apartment building itself.
Working on it. I hate living here anymore.

But just saying that sometimes a more hardcore car can be an absolute shit show, esp with how our infrastructure is crumbling around us.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:33 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Live somewhere less shitty? :iono:

I can honestly commute just fine 30 miles a day in my Corvette. The only place it sucks is the actual apartment building itself.
Working on it. I hate living here anymore.

But just saying that sometimes a more hardcore car can be an absolute shit show, esp with how our infrastructure is crumbling around us.
:word: It is a good point. We have pretty OK roads here, just terrible transitions into parking lots which can be annoying in :poorvette: . I kinda find the pot hole dodging to be a fun autox like event during my commute :doe:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:06 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:09 pm

yes you are.

The answer is pay off your car, and use that money to do some basic suspension and a set of summer tires and have a good car that is 95% as fun as a dedicated 'weekend' car.
I'm sorry, but a GTI (or a 3 series) is nothing even close to as fun as a "weekend car". I've owned all of the above. That said, GTIs are still pretty enjoyable, I'd just ride it out for a while. I'd rather daily a GTI than daily an RDX and have an S2000 at home I never use.

I do think that an STi, Hype R, or Fuckus RS is as close as you're getting to a true fun car that can do it all.
I can confirm here, none of the 3 series line up is as fun as STI/HYper R until you hit the M line. I honestly think a gti is more fun than a 335i, but a 335i/340i is a nicer vehicle. But obviously :wrong: as always.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm sorry, but a GTI (or a 3 series) is nothing even close to as fun as a "weekend car". I've owned all of the above. That said, GTIs are still pretty enjoyable, I'd just ride it out for a while. I'd rather daily a GTI than daily an RDX and have an S2000 at home I never use.

I do think that an STi, Hype R, or Fuckus RS is as close as you're getting to a true fun car that can do it all.
I can confirm here, none of the 3 series line up is as fun as STI/HYper R until you hit the M line. I honestly think a gti is more fun than a 335i, but a 335i/340i is a nicer vehicle. But obviously :wrong: as always.
bUt YOu hAvE nO ExPeRiEnCe!

max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:36 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:07 pm

bUt YOu hAvE nO ExPeRiEnCe!

:lolgasm:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:09 pm

yes you are.

The answer is pay off your car, and use that money to do some basic suspension and a set of summer tires and have a good car that is 95% as fun as a dedicated 'weekend' car.

I mean, :notwrong: having been in the same place myself.

BUT, if hes adding crotchfruit AND cant realistically have 2 cars for whatever reason, money being a consideration, the smart money move is to pump the brakes on a 'fun' car and ride that no payment life. Put a few bucks into making the daily more fun. Go karting more. Wait for the little shits to be out of diapers and re-evaluate.
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:06 am I mean, :notwrong: having been in the same place myself.

BUT, if hes adding crotchfruit AND cant realistically have 2 cars for whatever reason, money being a consideration, the smart money move is to pump the brakes on a 'fun' car and ride that no payment life. Put a few bucks into making the daily more fun. Go karting more. Wait for the little shits to be out of diapers and re-evaluate.
Money isn't the main thing, we're down to $0 in debt outside of the haus payment (<15% of our net pay) and the GTI. We could go buy a $40k toy if we wanted to, it's just not that high on our priority list, not above saving in 529 plans and Roth IRAs, traveling, and possibly moving to a bigger house within the next few years. Plus the GTI would have to live in the driveway. The main considerations are time and equity. With a CF or two, I can't just regularly take the S2000 (or whatever) out for a drive by myself on Saturday and leave the kiddo(s) at home with my wife while I go fuck around. My wife and I wouldn't be able to enjoy it together unless we get a babysitter just so we can go for a drive. How pointless is that? I'd want the fun car to be something we can all go out in, or at the very least I could shuttle the kid(s) to and from daycare in and then go out for a drive in the morning before I settle in for work. I want something that makes me smirk when it fires up in the morning like the STi used to.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:35 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:06 am I mean, :notwrong: having been in the same place myself.

Money isn't the main thing, we're down to $0 in debt outside of the haus payment (<15% of our net pay) and the GTI. We could go buy a $40k toy if we wanted to, it's just not that high on our priority list, not above saving in 529 plans and Roth IRAs, traveling, and possibly moving to a bigger house within the next few years. Plus the GTI would have to live in the driveway. The main considerations are time and equity. With a CF or two, I can't just regularly take the S2000 (or whatever) out for a drive by myself on Saturday and leave the kiddo(s) at home with my wife while I go fuck around. My wife and I wouldn't be able to enjoy it together unless we get a babysitter just so we can go for a drive. How pointless is that? I'd want the fun car to be something we can all go out in, or at the very least I could shuttle the kid(s) to and from daycare in and then go out for a drive in the morning before I settle in for work. I want something that makes me smirk when it fires up in the morning like the STi used to.
I mean, you want a big powerful 4 door saloon it sounds like. And therefore you know the answers to these questions.

Kia stingah, bmw 5 series, audi a5 & up, etc....
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Chumprolet SS
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 pmChumprolet SS
I prefer smaller cars, but I'd check one out for sure if it has a :manuel: . They're about impossibru to find, though.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 pmChumprolet SS
I prefer smaller cars, but I'd check one out for sure if it has a :manuel: . They're about impossibru to find, though.
still $40k for a not ragged one. :nope:
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:26 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:06 pm

That is ridiculous.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Gen 2 CTS-V is still the answer.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:36 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:26 pm

That is ridiculous.
That's on the low end. Closest :manuel: SS to me is 400 miles away. :rolleyes:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:Gen 2 CTS-V is still the answer.
556 hp. :burnout:

I'd rather ATS-V but I'm small.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:08 pm
Detroit wrote:Gen 2 CTS-V is still the answer.
556 hp. :burnout:

Early gen 2 Sedans are mid-$20k cars now...surprisingly cheaper.

The ATS for some reason has the most headroom of any car it's size I've ever been in. I was perfectly comfortable in the ATS...way more so than the Volt or even my dad's CTS-V.

ATS-V would be epic.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

If I had 30-40k to spend on a fun thing it would be a Cayman. The newer the better.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

An older Boxster for 20k works too
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:08 pm 556 hp. :burnout:

Early gen 2 Sedans are mid-$20k cars now...surprisingly cheaper.

The ATS for some reason has the most headroom of any car it's size I've ever been in. I was perfectly comfortable in the ATS...way more so than the Volt or even my dad's CTS-V.

ATS-V would be epic.
20s con :manuel: and recarbros? That would be epic.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:53 pm Gen 2 CTS-V is still the answer.
:bravo:

good answer.
brain go brrrrrr
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

These really intrigue me....please extol their virtues .....
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:52 pm
Bullet-proof supercharged 6.2L v8 with 556 hp. An intake adds ridiculous supercharger whine that's :jizz: inducing instantly

Bullet-proof 6-speed :manuel:

Bullet-proof cast iron differential

all add up to :plaid: and :burnout: for DAYS

Decent interior and appointments. Good space inside...not as small as a 3 series equivalent, not as big as a 5 series equivalent.

All can be had for mid-$20k.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:55 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Bullet-proof supercharged 6.2L v8 with 556 hp. An intake adds ridiculous supercharger whine that's :jizz: inducing instantly

Decent interior and appointments. Good space inside...not as small as a 3 series equivalent, not as big as a 5 series equivalent.

Wow..... I have to drive one of these.....
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:55 pm

They're pretty nuts. Sedans were made in the most volume and thus most affordable. Wagons are rare, especially with :manuel: and are very pricey. Coupes are right in the middle value.

They're all :neat: :doe:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:15 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:12 pm
They're pretty nuts. Sedans were made in the most volume and thus most affordable. Wagons are rare, especially with :manuel: and are very pricey. Coupes are right in the middle value.

They're all :neat: :doe:
Where did this "mid 20s" number come from ? Sub 50k mile manual ones are close to or 40k

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 96384.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 54779.html
automatic coupe with 100k miles 25k
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 23737.html
Automatic sedan 30k with 65k miles...

They are essentially M3 prices with equal miles.