Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:37 am https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982- ... eo-gtv6-4/

Do it now
Old Eclipse head-unit, owner has good taste. :megusta:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Whoa. That is super cool. Modded to actually drive too. :impressive:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:43 am
Whoa. That is super cool. Modded to actually drive too. :impressive:
Yes. And recently fully rebuilt. This will get the balls tingling after a drive for sure.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

OMG that Alfa. :megusta:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Apex wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:41 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:37 am https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982- ... eo-gtv6-4/

Do it now
those were the serious shiz... I always wanted one.
Apex

dubshow wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:16 am
Apex wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:41 am

those were the serious shiz... I always wanted one.
I ran an 8443 in my F150 to actively control my little 2.1 setup. So awesome to be able to play around with everything with it. The modern DSPs are pretty intense, but I want to build a new system again.

My little SoundSplinter Orphan's are sitting in the corner begging me to put them back in something.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Do it now
:jimp:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Do it now
This IS pretty sweet.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Whelp, the kiddo has outgrown his infant seat, so my wife and I went shopping for convertible seats over the weekend. Even the "slim fit" Graco with the shallower base had to be fully upright to fit behind my seat, but because the seat cushion in the back of the MK7 is so sloped that'd leave the kiddo sitting at 90*. Even declined just one notch back I had to move my seat really far forward. :wtf:

It's fine right now, I just put the seat we bought behind the passenger seat. My wife is 5'6" and I rarely take anyone else with me, but even her knees are pretty much in the glove box. If/when we have a second kiddo, though, seems like I'm going to need something different unless I'm okay with setting it up forward-facing. Dude is supposed to stay rear-facing up to 40 pounds, but I guess if I'm just crossing town it's not that big of an issue?

Fuck.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My kid is 35 lbs and facing forward. I take them on slow roads around town without much concern, school is 5min away which is typically our first and only stop most days. I dunno, maybe I'm negligent but the kiddo seems more then ready to face forward. The older forward facing kid sits behind the passenger side now since he is seven and has big feet. That chair slides a bit forward when he is back there and backwards when i have a passenger. Rarely do i have both passenger and kiddo because we have a second larger car for shit like that. If i do have a full house the seven year old turns his toes out and doesn't complain "or else it gets the hose again". -fellow MK7R owner.

It's kind of comedic how much space a car like the Camry has in the back seat vs a Herman car. I like the new Camry, and always liked the Charger.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:39 pm My kid is 35 lbs and facing forward. I take them on slow roads around town without much concern, school is 5min away which is typically our first and only stop most days. I dunno, maybe I'm negligent but the kiddo seems more then ready to face forward. The older forward facing kid sits behind the passenger side now since he is seven and has big feet. That chair slides a bit forward when he is back there and backwards when i have a passenger. Rarely do i have both passenger and kiddo because we have a second larger car for shit like that. If i do have a full house the seven year old turns his toes out and doesn't complain "or else it gets the hose again". -fellow MK7R owner.

It's kind of comedic how much space a car like the Camry has in the back seat vs a Herman car. I like the new Camry, and always liked the Charger.
‘tis a bummer. My son is only 10 months & 20lbs, but he’s long of torso it seems and the top of his head is above the side impact protection on the infant seat already. This is all moot if we end up not having a second kid any time soon, but we’re not exactly being intentional about avoiding #2 right now :hubba: and if that second kid shows up within the next year I don’t think I’m going to be comfortable putting my son forward-facing. Rarely will I need to take both kids and have someone in the passenger seat, that’s what the SUV is for, but there’s no way I’m fitting a rear-facing convertible behind my own seat.

Once he’s forward-facing I’d be fine with the GTI, but there’s probably going to be a period where we have two kids who both need to be rear-facing. GTI just is not going to work for that.

The new Accords look nice. :facepalm:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

GLI :bruh:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

coogles wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:50 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:39 pm My kid is 35 lbs and facing forward. I take them on slow roads around town without much concern, school is 5min away which is typically our first and only stop most days. I dunno, maybe I'm negligent but the kiddo seems more then ready to face forward. The older forward facing kid sits behind the passenger side now since he is seven and has big feet. That chair slides a bit forward when he is back there and backwards when i have a passenger. Rarely do i have both passenger and kiddo because we have a second larger car for shit like that. If i do have a full house the seven year old turns his toes out and doesn't complain "or else it gets the hose again". -fellow MK7R owner.

‘tis a bummer. My son is only 10 months & 20lbs, but he’s long of torso it seems and the top of his head is above the side impact protection on the infant seat already. This is all moot if we end up not having a second kid any time soon, but we’re not exactly being intentional about avoiding #2 right now :hubba: and if that second kid shows up within the next year I don’t think I’m going to be comfortable putting my son forward-facing. Rarely will I need to take both kids and have someone in the passenger seat, that’s what the SUV is for, but there’s no way I’m fitting a rear-facing convertible behind my own seat.

Once he’s forward-facing I’d be fine with the GTI, but there’s probably going to be a period where we have two kids who both need to be rear-facing. GTI just is not going to work for that.

The new Accords look nice. :facepalm:
Try the new GLI, but I'm not quite a fan on the front end, mostly on the grille part.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The old saying, don't count your chickens before they hatch seems extra funny to me right now! :lol: :like:
Apex

Tarspin wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:33 am The old saying, don't count your chickens before they hatch seems extra funny to me right now! :lol: :like:
:dat:

No need to be all :eeyore: about rear facing seats right now. Most people have plenty of time to prepare for that if necessary. :lol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:23 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:33 am The old saying, don't count your chickens before they hatch seems extra funny to me right now! :lol: :like:

No need to be all :eeyore: about rear facing seats right now. Most people have plenty of time to prepare for that if necessary. :lol:
I wouldn't say I'm :eeyore: about it all, but I am trying to plan. 10 months isn't exactly a long time in terms of a person's/family's financial life.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm still over here figuring out exactly :wtf: I want to do. The whole reason I bought this car was to get something I'd for the most part enjoy driving daily, get it paid off quickly, then buy the weekend toy. Between the wife now being :notsure: about a 3rd car purchase, not having the garage space, the financial commitment required for that kind of thing and coming to the realization I should have long ago that I'll barely be able to use a weekend car if I can't fit a kid or two in the back, I'm pretty much back at square one of wanting a single car that can do everything.

The GTI should be that car, but while it's good, it isn't great - for me. The clutch feel still isn't very linear even after the bleeder block, stainless clutch line, and swirl valve removal. The shifter is ropey and steering is only okay. The engine flops around like a fish, the rev hang is still there even though it's better than the MK6 and it wheel hops in anything other than ideal conditions. It's a great 8/10ths car but hates to be hustled. Despite all of the power these cars can make with a simple tune and even more with some bolt-ons, I can't actually see that making the car better, it'll just expose a chassis that already is more or less at its limits for what kind of power it can put down south of highway speeds.

The thing should be paid for, or damn close, by the end of the year. Best bet is probably to sit on my hands until then and see what kind of market there is for the car private-party in the spring. Or I could throw it up for sale now and see if I get any bites, but selling a car without the title in hand is a PITA. The most recent :dillerman: offer was only $15k, which I just would not take right now. I paid about $21.5k out the door going on a year ago and that'd be one hell of a hit to take on top of all of the maintenance I've done. A PP sale of $18-18.5k I could swallow, though. I'm clearly giving this too much bandwidth, but that's what's rolling around in my brain at the moment.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

From my experience, no single car can rule them all. There's compromises to be made in that case, and I always ended up swapping shit in the endless :plac: cycle. That's the root of the problem.

Seems to me that now would be a good time to focus on other aspects of lyfe. Kids, paying off debt, etc. Not fun, but the GTI is as close as you can get to a do-all vehicle, so might as well just ride it out for a while. I'm not sure there's anything better to replace it with at that price point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:00 pm I'm clearly giving this too much bandwidth,
yes you are.

The answer is pay off your car, and use that money to do some basic suspension and a set of summer tires and have a good car that is 95% as fun as a dedicated 'weekend' car.
brain go brrrrrr
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
coogles wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:00 pm I'm clearly giving this too much bandwidth,
yes you are.

The answer is pay off your car, and use that money to do some basic suspension and a set of summer tires and have a good car that is 95% as fun as a dedicated 'weekend' car.

Sway bars and a nice set of summer ramz and tarz do wonders.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

I mean its all just priorities. If you want something that is more intense to drive, just be sure to ask yourself if it will annoy you in the long run, or be a problem with the kids and such.

E46 or E90 328i could be fun. Would probably require some mods or deferred maintenance like shocks and whatnot. But they're rather reliable and I think the E9x cars have a decent back seat for the kiddos.

Like this.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
Sport package non-idrive AWD :manuel: for $9k. High miles but that's pretty cheap so :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:09 pm
yes you are.

I'm sorry, but a GTI (or a 3 series) is nothing even close to as fun as a "weekend car". I've owned all of the above. That said, GTIs are still pretty enjoyable, I'd just ride it out for a while. I'd rather daily a GTI than daily an RDX and have an S2000 at home I never use.

I do think that an STi, Hype R, or Fuckus RS is as close as you're getting to a true fun car that can do it all.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:06 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:09 pm

yes you are.

I'm sorry, but a GTI (or a 3 series) is nothing even close to as fun as a "weekend car". I've owned all of the above. That said, GTIs are still pretty enjoyable, I'd just ride it out for a while. I'd rather daily a GTI than daily an RDX and have an S2000 at home I never use.

I do think that an STi, Hype R, or Fuckus RS is as close as you're getting to a true fun car that can do it all.
Depends. Man I took a new way home today and legit was catching air going 5 MPH on this one “road” that has been patched over roughly 40 times. The want for a long travel vehicle that can just plow over shit is getting real. Driving around here is fucking disgusting.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Depends. Man I took a new way home today and legit was catching air going 5 MPH on this one “road” that has been patched over roughly 40 times. The want for a long travel vehicle that can just plow over shit is getting real. Driving around here is fucking disgusting.
Live somewhere less shitty? :iono:

I can honestly commute just fine 30 miles a day in my Corvette. The only place it sucks is the actual apartment building itself.