The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:40 pm Drove a :manuel: G8 GXP today, and even the LS3 and TR6060 can’t save that car, IMO. Great drivetrain, still a :poop: wrapper. A pair of Recaro Sportster CSs would go a long way toward fixing things, but another $4,000 on top of a $32,500 price tag is a :nope: from me, dawg.

My Carvana offer has jumped up to a :mindblown: $17,020 for the GTI. This close to just selling it and going down to one car for awhile.
Take the money and RUN...wouldn't one car work just fine for now?

This isn't going to last, :dill: s should be back by the end of the year.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:17 pm Take the money and RUN...wouldn't one car work just fine for now?

We could definitely get by with one car right now. The main reason not to is Indiana is one of the states where we only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade value and the price of the new car, which on a $17,020 trade value is worth close to $1,200. But also, I just enjoy driving the thing. Taking out the GTI and romping on it is one of my few ways to escape at the moment.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:17 pm Take the money and RUN...wouldn't one car work just fine for now?

We could definitely get by with one car right now. The main reason not to is Indiana is one of the states where we only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade value and the price of the new car, which on a $17,020 trade value is worth close to $1,200. But also, I just enjoy driving the thing. Taking out the GTI and romping on it is one of my few ways to escape at the moment.
Well shit, there's your answer. Selling something you enjoy just for money if you don't NEED it is stupid IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:32 pm Well shit, there's your answer. Selling something you enjoy just for money if you don't NEED it is stupid IMO.
Good perspective. But damn that offer is tempting. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Sell GTI, buy Miata for $5K, stick $12K in the bank, /thread.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I'll sell you my STI for a good price
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:03 pm I'll sell you my STI for a good price
Seems like a very interesting proposition.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Buy a V10 M5.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Doesn’t solve my need for a car that can carry 3 across, unfortunately. Yes, I test fit our convertibles in one here just to make sure. :lol:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:40 pm
Doesn’t solve my need for a car that can carry 3 across, unfortunately. Yes, I test fit our convertibles in one here just to make sure. :lol:
Strap one to the wing
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Strap one to the wing
:notbad:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Strap one to the wing
Don’t be stupid.

Put one in the trunk. Less likely to get pulled over.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:32 pm

Strap one to the wing
Don’t be stupid.

:mahman:
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:55 pm Strap one to the wing
Don’t be stupid.

:mahtroy:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I drove an Outback XT today while at the VW/Subaru dealer getting the free 10k service done on the Atlas. The car seats actually fit 3 across, although I couldn't use the LATCH anchors and had to install all 3 using the seat belts. Still, it counts!

Cliff notes are the car drives great. The 2.4 FA turbo scoots and the CVT really isn't that bad. Rides beautifully like everything else I've been in on the new Subaru global chassis, and all of the inputs are really pretty decent.

I'd have a really hard time getting one, though. The start-stop function is crazy intrusive and to turn it off requires digging through the touch screen every time you start the car. The massive screen is seriously lacking in physical controls and beyond laggy. It's terrible. The safety tech isn't for me, I turned it all off before I left the dealer lot, but annoyingly it gives you dummy lights on the dash for each function in a dull orange that stand out and are obnoxious, no doubt to incent the driver to turn them back on. Harmon/Kardon is :notbad:. Give me this car with the interior from a 2005 legacy + carplay and I'd be sold, but the tech crap :triggered: me. I'm going to miss the hell out of my GTI, whatever I get.

:whocares:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:28 pm I drove an Outback XT today while at the VW/Subaru dealer getting the free 10k service done on the Atlas. The car seats actually fit 3 across, although I couldn't use the LATCH anchors and had to install all 3 using the seat belts. Still, it counts!

Cliff notes are the car drives great. The 2.4 FA turbo scoots and the CVT really isn't that bad. Rides beautifully like everything else I've been in on the new Subaru global chassis, and all of the inputs are really pretty decent.

I'd have a really hard time getting one, though. The start-stop function is crazy intrusive and to turn it off requires digging through the touch screen every time you start the car. The massive screen is seriously lacking in physical controls and beyond laggy. It's terrible. The safety tech isn't for me, I turned it all off before I left the dealer lot, but annoyingly it gives you dummy lights on the dash for each function in a dull orange that stand out and are obnoxious, no doubt to incent the driver to turn them back on. Harmon/Kardon is :notbad:. Give me this car with the interior from a 2005 legacy + carplay and I'd be sold, but the tech crap :triggered: me. I'm going to miss the hell out of my GTI, whatever I get.

:whocares:
Safety tech really concerns me because it's quickly becoming standard content, and depending on the OEM can be :notbad: to complete :disgust: Surprising to hear about the infotainment being laggy, and even more surprising that the start/stop is so invasive. I don't even notice it in my JT anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:28 pm Safety tech really concerns me because it's quickly becoming standard content, and depending on the OEM can be :notbad: to complete :disgust: Surprising to hear about the infotainment being laggy, and even more surprising that the start/stop is so invasive. I don't even notice it in my JT anymore.
I honestly have no idea how good or bad Subaru's safety tech is, I just know I don't want anything to do with it. The long-term test updates from C&D's Ascent made it sound like Subaru's version is on the more intrusive side of things. I'm not that old (34), but I've been driving for nearly 20 years without any of it and I have no use for it now, nor will I ever. In fact, on the trip we took to Florida last week, the safety nannies in the Atlas almost got us into two accidents on the way home. The first time it was the blindspot warning system. I was in the right lane and coming up on an interchange, and as I went under the overpass I noticed a car on the on-ramp, so I checked my mirrors and my blind spot, then started to merge into the left lane to allow the merging vehicle space in the right lane. Right at the bottom of that onramp there was a small bridge going over a creek or something, and the BSM system picked up the guardrail on that bridge as another car, so it started flashing at me and beeping at me, and in that moment I thought someone must have been coming up on my left side going 100mph considering I'd just checked around the car and not seen anyone coming, so I started to steer back to the right just as the merging car began to take the right lane. We didn't get that close, but it definitely made my heart race a bit.

The second time it was the pre-collision system giving me a false warning and a loud BEEEEEEEEP and a "BRAKE NOW!!" warning on the dash as we were cresting a hill even though no one was within a quarter mile of my front bumper. I was in the middle of passing someone and had an even faster car coming up behind me, probably going 85+. I didn't slam the brakes, but I did hover my foot over the pedal and press them slightly, which the person behind me of course was totally unprepared for. They got to within a car-length of me and I saw the nose of their SUV dip pretty hard. Immediately after that I turned off each and every safety nanny and still do it every time I drive the car, dummy lights on the dash be damned. Wifey like the BSM system, though.

The Savagegeese Outback review prepared me for how bad the head unit would be, but I'm shocked Subaru let the thing out the door as bad as it is. Makes me really appreciate how easy to use the VW infotainment system is and how smoothly it all works.

The start-stop in the Atlas is pretty smooth, but it was really rough with the flat 4. I think those engines just aren't very refined from a NVH perspective no matter what you do.

It's all too bad, because if all I had to consider is how the Outback actually drove, I'd probably take one home.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

The GTI isn’t so bad with the safety stuff but I think they program them to be more aggressive for family cars than the sportier cars.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:28 pm Safety tech really concerns me because it's quickly becoming standard content, and depending on the OEM can be :notbad: to complete :disgust: Surprising to hear about the infotainment being laggy, and even more surprising that the start/stop is so invasive. I don't even notice it in my JT anymore.
I honestly have no idea how good or bad Subaru's safety tech is, I just know I don't want anything to do with it. The long-term test updates from C&D's Ascent made it sound like Subaru's version is on the more intrusive side of things. I'm not that old (34), but I've been driving for nearly 20 years without any of it and I have no use for it now, nor will I ever. In fact, on the trip we took to Florida last week, the safety nannies in the Atlas almost got us into two accidents on the way home. The first time it was the blindspot warning system. I was in the right lane and coming up on an interchange, and as I went under the overpass I noticed a car on the on-ramp, so I checked my mirrors and my blind spot, then started to merge into the left lane to allow the merging vehicle space in the right lane. Right at the bottom of that onramp there was a small bridge going over a creek or something, and the BSM system picked up the guardrail on that bridge as another car, so it started flashing at me and beeping at me, and in that moment I thought someone must have been coming up on my left side going 100mph considering I'd just checked around the car and not seen anyone coming, so I started to steer back to the right just as the merging car began to take the right lane. We didn't get that close, but it definitely made my heart race a bit.

The second time it was the pre-collision system giving me a false warning and a loud BEEEEEEEEP and a "BRAKE NOW!!" warning on the dash as we were cresting a hill even though no one was within a quarter mile of my front bumper. I was in the middle of passing someone and had an even faster car coming up behind me, probably going 85+. I didn't slam the brakes, but I did hover my foot over the pedal and press them slightly, which the person behind me of course was totally unprepared for. They got to within a car-length of me and I saw the nose of their SUV dip pretty hard. Immediately after that I turned off each and every safety nanny and still do it every time I drive the car, dummy lights on the dash be damned. Wifey like the BSM system, though.

The Savagegeese Outback review prepared me for how bad the head unit would be, but I'm shocked Subaru let the thing out the door as bad as it is. Makes me really appreciate how easy to use the VW infotainment system is and how smoothly it all works.

The start-stop in the Atlas is pretty smooth, but it was really rough with the flat 4. I think those engines just aren't very refined from a NVH perspective no matter what you do.

It's all too bad, because if all I had to consider is how the Outback actually drove, I'd probably take one home.
Yep, there's still a lot of limitations with these systems, and every time I drive a vehicle with them, I end up turning them off too. I guess it's great if you spend more time texting than driving, but if you're an attentive (good) driver, these things are terrible.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:36 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Yep, there's still a lot of limitations with these systems, and every time I drive a vehicle with them, I end up turning them off too. I guess it's great if you spend more time texting than driving, but if you're an attentive (good) driver, these things are terrible.
:dat:
In the 5 months that I've owned my car, the forward collision alert alarm went off I think 3 times. Each time I was already braking when the thing started buzzing. :disappoint:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

I am happy to have defeatable traction and stability control (with a fun "track" mode that is a nice safety net in low grip conditions) and nothing else besides ABS on my car. Too bad you can't avoid most of the other :bs: on most cars now.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:04 pm I am happy to have defeatable traction and stability control (with a fun "track" mode that is a nice safety net in low grip conditions) and nothing else besides ABS on my car. Too bad you can't avoid most of the other :bs: on most cars now.
The R does this, mind you not so gracefully with a dash fully lit up with icons for everything that's been disabled, but it really is everything which is cool.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The GTI is coded for ESC Sport / full ESC Off as well. It’s great, the car is a total Goldilocks IMO. No driver aids of any kind, fully defeatable stability control, but does have AA and CarPlay. :muah:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:04 pm I am happy to have defeatable traction and stability control (with a fun "track" mode that is a nice safety net in low grip conditions) and nothing else besides ABS on my car. Too bad you can't avoid most of the other :bs: on most cars now.
:hai:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

My dad's best friend just bought an Outback. They drive places together all of the time and my dad has reported that the safety tech is ridiculously intrusive and :disgust: on the Subi, he hates the car. Funny thing is that dude loved my GTI and BMW when he saw them, :notsure: why he did a 180.