CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

In4 desertbrah buying this one then so he can leave the Tachoe Z71 in Mexico
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:20 am In4 desertbrah buying this one then so he can leave the Tachoe Z71 in Mexico
My woman has definitely taken to driving around in YUGE SUV's so we will probably get a more recent example. The Denali has the 10 speed and the Corvette motor (ish) starting in 2018.
I won't pay 70-80K for a GMC but I might pay fiddy.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:33 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:20 am In4 desertbrah buying this one then so he can leave the Tachoe Z71 in Mexico
My woman has definitely taken to driving around in YUGE SUV's so we will probably get a more recent example. The Denali has the 10 speed and the Corvette motor (ish) starting in 2018.
Instead of the Hemi Yeep? The current Tahoe/Yukons look amazing with a 4" drop. :boner:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:50 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:33 am

Instead of the Hemi Yeep? The current Tahoe/Yukons look amazing with a 4" drop. :boner:
There will be no drop. MX requires ground clearance.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Ok who bought that Denali?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Made a mistake and drove a Chevy SS this morning. FUCK that is nice. Honestly, waaayyyy nicer than a G8. The G8 feels like an extension of 90s GM in comparison, whereas the SS feels like a totally modern and solid sports sedan. That's stupid, because it's the same damn car, but I'd pay for a 2014 SS over an auto GXP every day of the week.

The slippery slope of car purchasing is silly, though. First it's, "okay let's stay under $20k and get the G8 GT." Then I think "well, the GXP is worth the difference and $23k isn't that much more." Then it's, "well now I can get a 2014 SS with similar or lower mileage for only $3-4k more." Then I'm looking at low mileage SSs for $30-$33k. Then it's "I can get a :manuel: SS for only $3-4k more than that" and we're looking at $37k cars. :fullretard:

The only problem with both the G8 and the SS, though, is that our infant seats don't seem to install properly in them. First is the angle of the LATCH anchors themselves - they're more "back" than "down", so they aren't putting much downward pressure on the rear of the base at all. The straps from the bases, even with the foot adjusted all the way out so it positions the base as high as possible, end up being far less vertical than in my GTI or the Atlas. Then there's the rear seat cushions themselves - in both the G8 and the SS they're incredibly soft. The broad bar on the back of the base that sits against the backrest, as well as the bottom against the cushion, just spin through the seat cushions rather than seemingly coming up against any resistance.

Installed in either of our VWs, I can put a significant amount of upward force into the base and the front won't lift more than an inch or two. I also haven't had any problems installing them in any other vehicle, the problems I'm having are unique to the SS and G8.

I asked the question over on the SS forum, but unless I can get that figured out, neither is a real option. :disappoint:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Might as well just buy a 911 turbo S.

It's got AWD, so it's safer for the family.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

coogles wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:20 pm Made a mistake and drove a Chevy SS this morning. FUCK that is nice. Honestly, waaayyyy nicer than a G8. The G8 feels like an extension of 90s GM in comparison, whereas the SS feels like a totally modern and solid sports sedan. That's stupid, because it's the same damn car, but I'd pay for a 2014 SS over an auto GXP every day of the week.

The slippery slope of car purchasing is silly, though. First it's, "okay let's stay under $20k and get the G8 GT." Then I think "well, the GXP is worth the difference and $23k isn't that much more." Then it's, "well now I can get a 2014 SS with similar or lower mileage for only $3-4k more." Then I'm looking at low mileage SSs for $30-$33k. Then it's "I can get a :manuel: SS for only $3-4k more than that" and we're looking at $37k cars. :fullretard:

The only problem with both the G8 and the SS, though, is that our infant seats don't seem to install properly in them. First is the angle of the LATCH anchors themselves - they're more "back" than "down", so they aren't putting much downward pressure on the rear of the base at all. The straps from the bases, even with the foot adjusted all the way out so it positions the base as high as possible, end up being far less vertical than in my GTI or the Atlas. Then there's the rear seat cushions themselves - in both the G8 and the SS they're incredibly soft. The broad bar on the back of the base that sits against the backrest, as well as the bottom against the cushion, just spin through the seat cushions rather than seemingly coming up against any resistance.

Installed in either of our VWs, I can put a significant amount of upward force into the base and the front won't lift more than an inch or two. I also haven't had any problems installing them in any other vehicle, the problems I'm having are unique to the SS and G8.

I asked the question over on the SS forum, but unless I can get that figured out, neither is a real option. :disappoint:
[user not found] may be able to answer the question of child/infant seats in the SS..
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 pm Might as well just buy a 911 turbo S.

It's got AWD, so it's safer for the family.
If one would fit all three car seats I'd be all about it.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

coogles wrote:Made a mistake and drove a Chevy SS this morning. FUCK that is nice. Honestly, waaayyyy nicer than a G8. The G8 feels like an extension of 90s GM in comparison, whereas the SS feels like a totally modern and solid sports sedan. That's stupid, because it's the same damn car, but I'd pay for a 2014 SS over an auto GXP every day of the week.

I just watched a VINWiki video about the SS. The guy described it as the car that G8 owners graduate to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

My favorite Indy shop opened back up and I got the car in this afternoon for its 50k service. The Superpro front and Moog rear end links honestly made a huge difference. The car rides like absolute BUTTAH now. I’m sure it’s all placebo but I’d swear the Molygen has given the car a quieter idle on cold start too.

Assuming I do sell this car in July/August or earlier, I think I’ll be pretty :eeyore: about it. This is a damn nice car for the $15k or whatever shit amount I’ll end up getting for it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:28 pm
coogles wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:20 pm Made a mistake and drove a Chevy SS this morning. FUCK that is nice. Honestly, waaayyyy nicer than a G8. The G8 feels like an extension of 90s GM in comparison, whereas the SS feels like a totally modern and solid sports sedan. That's stupid, because it's the same damn car, but I'd pay for a 2014 SS over an auto GXP every day of the week.

[user not found] may be able to answer the question of child/infant seats in the SS..
:dat:

:[user not found]: could directly compare the SS and MK7 with regards to crotchfruit seating.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

This doesn’t help my casual curiosity about a SS...
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:58 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:28 pm

:dat:

:[user not found]: could directly compare the SS and MK7 with regards to crotchfruit seating.
I think it’s just a unique combo of the SS/G8 and our bases. Several people have said they haven’t had problems installing infant seats in the SS, I think I’d just have to pony up for some different seats if I go that route.
troyguitar

Not that I've done any research at all, but how has nobody ever made a baby seat that isn't monstrous? That must be a super competitive industry, almost everyone has kids and is required to buy the seats.

A baby plus seat shouldn't have to take up more space than an adult.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 am Not that I've done any research at all, but how has nobody ever made a baby seat that isn't monstrous? That must be a super competitive industry, almost everyone has kids and is required to buy the seats.

I don't believe so. Recaro makes a cool one, but it's still pretty bulky and :wasteful:

I'd honestly guess it's because of safety requirements that they've gotten to about the size they have to be.

Also, most people the overlap of car enthusiast/crotchfruit producer isn't as big a market as you'd think, especially one that would have :waxer: money to blow on a car seat that is super thin to fit in their enthusiast car.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

Saw SS mentioned, started to miss mine :(

I do believe that same mental price argument is why i wound up buying it brand new during their 20% off, I got to chose the car I wanted and it was mandatory to be a manual; I wanted nothing to do with the '14s after they got announced as auto only in the States so clearly I needed to wait a little and then the '15s didn't have any big sales (and I wasn't making the right income)
Last edited by 3rdgenfan on Sat May 23, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

3rdgenfan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:25 am Image

I need to own one of these someday, preferably in orange.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

Wocka Wocka wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 am
3rdgenfan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:25 am

Orange was the original color I was waiting for but then saw a pic of that red in the sunlight and sold me.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 am Not that I've done any research at all, but how has nobody ever made a baby seat that isn't monstrous? That must be a super competitive industry, almost everyone has kids and is required to buy the seats.

It’s not really possible with infant seats. Kids that young have to lay pretty flat because they don’t have head control and can suffocate if they’re too upright, they also need a significant amount of additional side impact protection. There are several manufacturers that make convertible seats narrow enough to go three across in most cars, like Diono and Clek.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

3rdgenfan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 am
Wocka Wocka wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 am

Orange was the original color I was waiting for but then saw a pic of that red in the sunlight and sold me.
I just can't do red cars. :tits: Crosstour excluded. I find red a :disgust: color.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Wocka Wocka wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:40 am
3rdgenfan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 am

I just can't do red cars. :tits: Crosstour excluded. I find red a :disgust: color.
So THAT’S why you don’t want to become a firefighter :lolol:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

razr390 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:42 am
Wocka Wocka wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:40 am

So THAT’S why you don’t want to become a firefighter :lolol:
I'd honestly rather be a :neek: , but I've done the hose humping and ambulance driving gig a lot already, so I'm less than keen on doing either. I've got a friend in one of the swanky VA counties who is gonna put in a word for me next time they hire, so we'll see.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:

It’s not really possible with infant seats. Kids that young have to lay pretty flat because they don’t have head control and can suffocate if they’re too upright, they also need a significant amount of additional side impact protection. There are several manufacturers that make convertible seats narrow enough to go three across in most cars, like Diono and Clek.
So why not get those seats so you can buy "most cars" instead of being limited to an old Pontiac or a church van? I guess I missed something. This seems like it shouldn't be so hard.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:45 am
coogles wrote:
So why not get those seats so you can buy "most cars" instead of being limited to an old Pontiac or a church van? I guess I missed something. This seems like it shouldn't be so hard.
I will. But there are no options for infant seats that will fit in my GTI in addition to a convertible seat for my son, for the reasons I mentioned. Assuming schools are open in August, the twins will still be in infant seats for several more months and I’d have no way to get them to school.