The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:24 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 pm

That’s stupid money for a relatively old car. Right on !
:dat:

It's $4.4K more than I paid for it nearly 3.5 years and 20k miles ago. It's barely less than what these were selling for brand new in 2017. MSRP was $29k and change.
It's insane. Once in a lifetime.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:03 pm
coogles wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:54 pm Well, I refreshed the offer on the second Carvana account I made and it dropped by $2k, which makes sense given there are hundreds of MK8s on the shores now. I accepted the offer on my other account for $24.4K and scheduled pickup for 11/30, so I guess I have until then to figure out WTF I'm doing, if anything.
Interesting, so the tides are changing. I bet my Cucktrek deal for 35k that expires today will be the peak.

Was 11/30 the latest they'd let you schedule pickup? 9 days, :notbad:
I could have done longer, I just didn't want to deal with rushing the car out the door before Thanksgiving and didn't think taking longer than 9 days would really accomplish anything as far as making a good decision. Either I'm going to move on or I won't, that's plenty of time to decide.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

That escalated quickly
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:52 pm That escalated quickly
:bruh: I've been dragging this out since I found out we were having twins. They're 20 months old now.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

All we need is MSRPs to pop up 3 to 5K and used car valuations will stay put. I wonder if there's a business case for such a scenario?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:55 pm All we need is MSRPs to pop up 3 to 5K and used car valuations will stay put. I wonder if there's a business case for such a scenario?
It's already happening. An Autobahn MK8 is up to $40k now, it's crazy.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

coogles wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:58 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:55 pm All we need is MSRPs to pop up 3 to 5K and used car valuations will stay put. I wonder if there's a business case for such a scenario?
That's 2017 Golf R pricing.... :impressive:

I was thinking about Tesla pricing increases, inflation time!
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

coogles wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:16 pm
razr390 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:52 pm That escalated quickly
:bruh: I've been dragging this out since I found out we were having twins. They're 20 months old now.
Oh that’s not what I mean. I meant the post of you debating whether to keep it for long term with the whole clutch thing and then the next post was “well I refreshed and took the higher offer”
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:20 pm Oh that’s not what I mean. I meant the post of you debating whether to keep it for long term with the whole clutch thing and then the next post was “well I refreshed and took the higher offer”
Ah. Speaking of, I recorded a cold start yesterday and the flywheel sounded totally silent. So :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:48 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:29 pm That's a pretty big deal. Sucks for the next guy that may get the car if you flip it to carvana or whatnot.

I personally wouldn't spend 3-4k on clutch labor and flywheel crap, when you're this close to offing the thing already.
:notwrong: on the first point, but if Carvana is dumb enough to not inspect a car before buying it first, that's on them. Same shit with Zillow buying a bunch of homes via algorithm that all ended up needing a lot of work.

I'm with you on the second point too, though, if I'm going to put the money into it, I'm doing an aftermarket clutch, tuning the thing, and finally doing the things I've wanted to do with it since I bought it. Wife just wants the status quo, she absolutely hates change, but this is going to force me to do something one way or the other.
:iono: man... I do get the wife thing so I understand keeping it... But if you do clutch/flywheel/tune/whatever... that is going to be $4-5K likely, add in wheels/tires to put down the new powah... and that to the insane Carvana offer and you're getting closer and closer to a brand new STI which is a WAY better car, period.

You can mod a GTI all you want and it's still a FWD Golf. They are good cars as a jack of all trades new at $25-30K or used at $15-25K, more than that (in mods or purchase price) I think there are just far better options than a Golf.

All of that said I thought long and hard about my $22K offer from the 'vana on the Beemah and I just can't :doit: . Sure, it is "profit" but it is a shit market. I want a GR86 but there's not a chance I'd get one in the next 90+ days and going carless isn't really something I want. I think that down the line I wouldn't mind having a cheap practical car like a Corolla hatch or Mazda 3 hatch alongside an 86, but a Mazda 3 with like 2X the mileage of my BMW is still over $20K, a used Corolla hatch is close to $30K. I'm not dumping a nice RWD :manuel: car that is pretty good to get an econohatch for more money.

All of that said, in your case, if you can sell the wife on it, I would dump the GTI IF you can get an STI at MSRP new with relative ease. Hell, even $500-$1K :dillerman: :bs: markup is probably fine, but nothing :fullretard:

Good luck man, decisions, decisions.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:03 pm
coogles wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:58 pm

Model Y launched with starting price of $39,XXX and is now over $60K to start I think.

:mindblown:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:54 pm Well, I refreshed the offer on the second Carvana account I made and it dropped by $2k, which makes sense given there are hundreds of MK8s on the shores now. I accepted the offer on my other account for $24.4K and scheduled pickup for 11/30, so I guess I have until then to figure out WTF I'm doing, if anything.
Oh, I missed this. Good call, :doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:03 pm
Interesting, so the tides are changing. I bet my Cucktrek deal for 35k that expires today will be the peak.

Was 11/30 the latest they'd let you schedule pickup? 9 days, :notbad:
I could have done longer, I just didn't want to deal with rushing the car out the door before Thanksgiving and didn't think taking longer than 9 days would really accomplish anything as far as making a good decision. Either I'm going to move on or I won't, that's plenty of time to decide.
Interesting. I wonder what the max is? Trying to time the Cucktrek.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:27 am
Tarspin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:03 pm

Model Y launched with starting price of $39,XXX and is now over $60K to start I think.

:mindblown:
:disgust:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:25 am :iono: man... I do get the wife thing so I understand keeping it... But if you do clutch/flywheel/tune/whatever... that is going to be $4-5K likely, add in wheels/tires to put down the new powah... and that to the insane Carvana offer and you're getting closer and closer to a brand new STI which is a WAY better car, period.

You can mod a GTI all you want and it's still a FWD Golf. They are good cars as a jack of all trades new at $25-30K or used at $15-25K, more than that (in mods or purchase price) I think there are just far better options than a Golf.

All of that said I thought long and hard about my $22K offer from the 'vana on the Beemah and I just can't :doit: . Sure, it is "profit" but it is a shit market. I want a GR86 but there's not a chance I'd get one in the next 90+ days and going carless isn't really something I want. I think that down the line I wouldn't mind having a cheap practical car like a Corolla hatch or Mazda 3 hatch alongside an 86, but a Mazda 3 with like 2X the mileage of my BMW is still over $20K, a used Corolla hatch is close to $30K. I'm not dumping a nice RWD :manuel: car that is pretty good to get an econohatch for more money.

All of that said, in your case, if you can sell the wife on it, I would dump the GTI IF you can get an STI at MSRP new with relative ease. Hell, even $500-$1K :dillerman: :bs: markup is probably fine, but nothing :fullretard:

Good luck man, decisions, decisions.
:notsure:

Some things about it are better for sure, but it's not like it's better in every single category. As a purely fun thing to enjoy when I'm not schlepping kids to and from school it definitely wins out but it's not like it's a slam dunk IMO. I just drove (a used) one a few days ago and yeah, I thought it was a little bit more fun, but it's not that much faster comparing each car stock and it doesn't really do anything the GTI doesn't do. It's not some tail-happy, completely different experience like a GR86 would be. To get something really different with 4 doors and the power I'd want I'd have to go a bit nutty and get either an E90 or F80 M3, both of which either in terms of maintenance or purchase price are more than I'm looking to spend at the moment.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Well when I scheduled the GTI pickup for tomorrow I'd thought my interviews were going to happen Monday or Tuesday of last week. They happened today, so since I'd like to know if I'm going to land this gig or not before I make any big car decisions I pushed back pickup until Monday. I should hear back by then.

I did manage to put a deposit down on a STi in Akron, OH, that's slated to arrive in 2-3 weeks. It's a silver ( :flaccid: ) base model, so no Fauxcarbros. I'd plan on replacing the driver's seat with a Sportster CS or Sportster GT anyway, and the base has manual tracks, so that's easier. I really do not want silver, though. Lapis blue is choice #1, crystal while pearl #2, world rally blue #3, then all of the other colors are WAY down the list for me. They said it was at MSRP, then the deal sheet they sent me had $1,150 in fake bullshit dealer-installed protectants and sealants and whatever. I said they can keep all of that and offered $500 over, which to my surprise they accepted. I was still so pumped to have even found one at something other than $5k over I put down the deposit, but that's faded and now I'm just :disappoint: that it's silver. Ice silver is boring and it sucks...will probably ask for my deposit back and buy a minivan. Get that paid for, then buy a GR86 or a used STi in a color that doesn't suck once prices come back to earth.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:32 pm Well when I scheduled the GTI pickup for tomorrow I'd thought my interviews were going to happen Monday or Tuesday of last week. They happened today, so since I'd like to know if I'm going to land this gig or not before I make any big car decisions I pushed back pickup until Monday. I should hear back by then.

I did manage to put a deposit down on a STi in Akron, OH, that's slated to arrive in 2-3 weeks. It's a silver ( :flaccid: ) base model, so no Fauxcarbros. I'd plan on replacing the driver's seat with a Sportster CS or Sportster GT anyway, and the base has manual tracks, so that's easier. I really do not want silver, though. Lapis blue is choice #1, crystal while pearl #2, world rally blue #3, then all of the other colors are WAY down the list for me. They said it was at MSRP, then the deal sheet they sent me had $1,150 in fake bullshit dealer-installed protectants and sealants and whatever. I said they can keep all of that and offered $500 over, which to my surprise they accepted. I was still so pumped to have even found one at something other than $5k over I put down the deposit, but that's faded and now I'm just :disappoint: that it's silver. Ice silver is boring and it sucks...will probably ask for my deposit back and buy a minivan. Get that paid for, then buy a GR86 or a used STi in a color that doesn't suck once prices come back to earth.
I mean is there a bumrush to get this thing? Just wait it out you should be able to get the right color especially since you're ok with like 3 choices.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:09 pm I mean is there a bumrush to get this thing? Just wait it out you should be able to get the right color especially since you're ok with like 3 choices.
The pipeline for new STis is all but gone. It's either grab one of these last 50ish available countrywide or be okay with going used.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

You are :plac:
I didn’t realize you were getting an STI again. Why not just keep the GTI? You seem to like it better.

FWIW I like ice silver a lot. I think it’s one of the best silvers of any automaker.

Did you try out a Civic R? Just curious really.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:54 am You are :plac:
I didn’t realize you were getting an STI again. Why not just keep the GTI? You seem to like it better.

FWIW I like ice silver a lot. I think it’s one of the best silvers of any automaker.

Did you try out a Civic R? Just curious really.
STi is almost definitely not happening, but GTI is going to plummet in value with MK8s rolling in, and I think the STi is a better long-term value play considering the new one will be gross and the outgoing STi will always have that old school charm. Also as a dedicated weekend car that can still haul a kiddo or two on occasion I think it makes way more sense than a FWD thing. I do like some things about the GTI better for sure, though.

I've driven a CTR and I liked it, but didn't get out of it feeling any fizz of any kind. It's another FWD 2.0 hot hatch that basically seemed identical to a GTI with some coilovers, a short shifter and a tune.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:55 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:23 pm

The pipeline for new STis is all but gone. It's either grab one of these last 50ish available countrywide or be okay with going used.
Last of the Mohicans, mang.

The STi is delightfully analog.
Exactly :dat:

Too bad I'll probably be driving an Odyssey soon.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I miss mine but probably wouldn’t opt to get another one of the same vintage. I have different priorities and opinions now. It was a ton of fun though, that’s for sure.

I’m confused tho. You put in an order but won’t end up taking it?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:45 pm I miss mine but probably wouldn’t opt to get another one of the same vintage. I have different priorities and opinions now. It was a ton of fun though, that’s for sure.

I’m confused tho. You put in an order but won’t end up taking it?
Didn't order it, just put a deposit down on one that was already coming in. But in general, that's correct. Priorities.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:pouroneout: :pouroneout: :pouroneout: :pouroneout:
:pouroneout: :mk6: :pouroneout:

:notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure:
:notsure: :minivan: :notsure:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:12 pm :pouroneout: :pouroneout: :pouroneout: :pouroneout:
:pouroneout: :mk6: :pouroneout:

:notsure: :minivan: :notsure:
:baby: :baby: :baby: :doe:

It's too late for me, save yourselves.