The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I drove that ML350 over the weekend, and maaan, it is :nice:.

Quite lazy, but such a solid, refined, smooth drive. Great service history, prior owner must have been a :fatty: because the selling dealer replaced the seat cushions in the driver's seat so they're brand new, and overall the thing is in fantastic cosmetic shape. I know I could be dealing with :fullretard: repair bills, but it's hard to imagine finding a better choice for less money up front.

The saleschick did say they found an aftermarket warranty company they're happy with, so I'm curious to find out how much that might cost and what kind of coverage they provide. We shall see.
Last edited by coogles on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:02 am I drove that ML350 over the weekend, and maaan, it is :nice:.

Quite lazy, but such a solid, refined, smooth drive. Great service history, prior owner must have been a :fattie: because the selling dealer replaced the seat cushions in the driver's seat so they're brand new, and overall the thing is in fantastic cosmetic shape. I know I could be dealing with :fullretard: repair bills, but it's hard to imagine finding a better choice for less money up front.

The saleschick did say they found an aftermarket warranty company they're happy with, so I'm curious to find out how much that might cost and what kind of coverage they provide. We shall see.
:doit:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:28 am :doit:
The CEL was on when I first got in the car. We checked the gas cap and it was loose, but the salesperson was going to check to make sure that's all it was. Car drove fine, tho. I also mentioned having a PPI done and she said she'd never had a customer ask for one and wasn't sure they'd let the car stay offsite, but she'd check. I understand why a dealer wouldn't want their car off at another shop, but I am surprised she'd never had a customer request one before.

I'm going to contact a couple indy shops to see when I might be able to schedule a PPI and see if they have any general comments about that generation of ML, but I might actually end up going this way.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:24 pm
The CEL was on when I first got in the car. We checked the gas cap and it was loose, but the salesperson was going to check to make sure that's all it was. Car drove fine, tho. I also mentioned having a PPI done and she said she'd never had a customer ask for one and wasn't sure they'd let the car stay offsite, but she'd check. I understand why a dealer wouldn't want their car off at another shop, but I am surprised she'd never had a customer request one before.

I'm going to contact a couple indy shops to see when I might be able to schedule a PPI and see if they have any general comments about that generation of ML, but I might actually end up going this way.
PPI is worth it I think, especially on something this complex and potentially wallet-raping.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:31 pm PPI is worth it I think, especially on something this complex and potentially wallet-raping.
100% agree. If they went ahead and replaced the seat cushions without being prompted by a prospective buyer, though, I do think that says quite a bit about how they treat their vehicles. That's not a normal maintenance item for just some random used car lot.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:24 pm

It's the option presented so far that I would choose. SUV Crotchfruit usefulness without being a seppuku accelerant.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:neat: developments here. I’ve only been in an old ML but they seem to be solid products. :like:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:31 pm PPI is worth it I think, especially on something this complex and potentially wallet-raping.
100% agree. If they went ahead and replaced the seat cushions without being prompted by a prospective buyer, though, I do think that says quite a bit about how they treat their vehicles. That's not a normal maintenance item for just some random used car lot.
You can't have a beater front seat in an otherwise nice vehicle.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Maybe PO pooped in the seat
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:07 pm :neat: developments here. I’ve only been in an old ML but they seem to be solid products. :like:
The new ones are like that too. Better than newer BMW's as well.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:07 pm

You can't have a beater front seat in an otherwise nice vehicle.
Every current F150 with over 5k miles
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Response from :diller :tits: : about the CEL -
The ML was checked out yesterday and all is good - it was a misfire... which is why it still drove perfect. They did a complete and open recall on it though. :)
:wtf: is a complete and open recall? Sounds like they just cleared the code and are hoping it goes away. Probably best to walk away from this one. :disappoint:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

coogles wrote:Response from :diller :tits: : about the CEL -
The ML was checked out yesterday and all is good - it was a misfire... which is why it still drove perfect. They did a complete and open recall on it though. :)
:wtf: is a complete and open recall? Sounds like they just cleared the code and are hoping it goes away. Probably best to walk away from this one. :disappoint:
Try looking up the VIN on MB's site for open recalls.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Checked the website, no open recalls, but I just got a response and she said the recall was for steering rack bolts, which they completed.

Misfire was unrelated to any recall, so yeah, sounds like they just cleared the codes and didn't do any kind of diagnosis. :nope:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:16 am Response from :diller :tits: : about the CEL -
Lolwut
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Those aren't bad cars. I worked on both the interior and suspension on them for awhile. No airsprings, right?
Johnny_P

Google Fu suggests it needs coil packs, spark plugs, and new wires.

Pass. That’s a lot of cash to maybe or maybe not fix it.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote:Checked the website, no open recalls, but I just got a response and she said the recall was for steering rack bolts, which they completed.

Misfire was unrelated to any recall, so yeah, sounds like they just cleared the codes and didn't do any kind of diagnosis. :nope:
:disappoint:

I'd still check doe. Is there a service history on it? When were the spark plugs last changed?

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:57 pm Those aren't bad cars. I worked on both the interior and suspension on them for awhile. No airsprings, right?
Nope, standard suspension. It's a pretty basic model, just the Premium 1 Package and the Lighting Package. Premium 2 Package would be nice for the Harmon Kardon and keyless entry. Have to put the key in the dash and turn it? Much poverty.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2012-merc ... 663159120/
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:00 pm
coogles wrote:Checked the website, no open recalls, but I just got a response and she said the recall was for steering rack bolts, which they completed.

I'd still check doe. Is there a service history on it? When were the spark plugs last changed?

They were done at 65k, so 20k miles ago. Could be anything. Coils, injectors, fuel pump(s), carbon buildup, who knows?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:59 pm Google Fu suggests it needs coil packs, spark plugs, and new wires.

:dat: I already told diller :tits: I'm not interested.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:34 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:00 pm :disappoint:

They were done at 65k, so 20k miles ago. Could be anything. Coils, injectors, fuel pump(s), carbon buildup, who knows?
Yeah. Big :nope: then.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:16 am Response from :diller :tits: : about the CEL -
:lolol: "It had a misfire which is why it drove perfect! All is good!"

:lolwut:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:16 pm

:lolol: "It had a misfire which is why it drove perfect! All is good!"

:lolwut:
Apparently benzos shut down the cylinder that's misfiring. So actually it would drive rather normal. :mindblown:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:59 pm Google Fu suggests it needs coil packs, spark plugs, and new wires.

:dat: I already told diller :tits: I'm not interested.
Clearly you need a $10k Range Rover Sport