The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:30 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:20 am Thankfully I'm two child seats pointed forward, when I wasn't the rear facing seat was on the passenger side and we took my wife's suv more as a group.

I honestly love my 7R more then any other car I've owned and I think this isn't a good fit for the Coog-meister. Why own something that depreciates like a rock and don't love? I vote :plac:
Eh, I bought it used, it's already a decent way down the depreciation curve. Chances of me doing anything are slim to none, with the only reasonable option of getting out of the car being to swap it for the family hauler once we have a second kiddo. Might not be the worst idea to get away from "fun" cars for awhile, though. Enjoy the :derp: life in my crossover and not think about wasting money on modifications of any kind. Take a year or two and get back into something more interesting once the family hauler is paid for.
:nope:

Come on dude! We have to keep a few members here as car guys. Everyone is getting out hardcore, it's :sad:

I would vote GTI over :nuke: for a crossover, it really offers similar utility but at least has some fun in the mix as well. Plus even if you mod a bit, it's always cheaper to keep her.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Why not just make the wife's car the family hauler and drive that on all family excursions?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:41 am :nope:

Come on dude! We have to keep a few members here as car guys. Everyone is getting out hardcore, it's :sad:

I would vote GTI over :nuke: for a crossover, it really offers similar utility but at least has some fun in the mix as well. Plus even if you mod a bit, it's always cheaper to keep her.
The 7 passenger SUV is coming one way or another...CX-9, Ascent, and MDX are all on the shopping list. It's just a matter of whether the GTI or the 2012 RDX gets swapped out for the yuppie crossover. I would really hate to sell the RDX - it only has 55k miles, it's reasonably interesting for a crossover and has been dead reliable. Terrible MPG, but :aintcare:. We shall see. If our hypothetical second crotchfruit were due tomorrow, I think the GTI would get the axe,
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

You can't fit two car seats in an RDX?

:wat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am You can't fit two car seats in an RDX?

Of course you can. But two kids, two dogs, crap for 4 people, won't all fit in what is really a pretty small 5 passenger SUV. Wife is a total :nope: on minivan, so that leaves the 7 passenger options.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

coogles wrote:

Of course you can. But two kids, two dogs, crap for 4 people, won't all fit in what is really a pretty small 5 passenger SUV. Wife is a total :nope: on minivan, so that leaves the 7 passenger options.
It's OK, the MDX is a good track car anyway.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:50 am

What size :doge: s?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:51 am What size :doge: s?
Both schnauzers, but no way they both fit in the middle seat with two car seats in the back. I realize it'll be kind of stupid to buy a big 7 passenger SUV basically to accommodate the dogs, but family is all a couple hours away and we make the trek pretty often. I'm not hitting up a Hertz every time we need to go somewhere.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:51 am It's OK, the MDX is a good track car anyway.
Dat super-handling all wheel drive, doe.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

First post updated with the whole saga so far and some car history, just for shits. :whocares:

I'm afraid to ask a dealer what this car is worth on trade, but it's semi-officially for sale if anyone is crazy enough to buy it. $18,000, currently at 41,600 miles.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:34 pm First post updated with the whole saga so far and some car history, just for shits. :whocares:

I'm afraid to ask a dealer what this car is worth on trade, but it's semi-officially for sale if anyone is crazy enough to buy it. $18,000, currently at 41,600 miles.
:sad:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:19 pm Dat short block replacement, doe. :doomed:

https://www.tomwoodvolkswagennoblesvill ... ae1df4.htm
:lolgasm: :wrong: :fakenews: Subaru can build an engine !
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:32 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:19 pm Dat short block replacement, doe. :doomed:

https://www.tomwoodvolkswagennoblesvill ... ae1df4.htm
:lolgasm: :wrong: :fakenews: Subaru can build an engine !
Honestly this constant diatribe about Subaru's inability to build a motor is annoying at this point. Pick something else to rag on. Plenty of cars have a weak spot. It's well known that Subaru's weak spot is the head gaskets after about 150k ish so who gives a shit, and more recently a BMW ///M motor style bearing problem with who knows what failure rate.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Struggling. Want to :troywax: on some roof bars and a Thule Thruride, but not if I'm going to off the car.

I'm pretty firmly in the camp of wanting back into an STi, this time a 2019. My biggest complaints were the NVH and the head unit, and the 2019s pretty much fix both of those things. More sound deadening and thicker glass make a noticeable difference, and the 2019+ head unit is worlds better. Unfortunately ditching the GTI already would be an abhorrently bad financial decision.

The 19" :ramz: make me :triggered: and I'd have to ditch them pretty much immediately, but otherwise all it needs is a cat-back and I think I'd be content in one for a long time.
max225

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:16 am Struggling. Want to :troywax: on some roof bars and a Thule Thruride, but not if I'm going to off the car.

I'm pretty firmly in the camp of wanting back into an STi, this time a 2019. My biggest complaints were the NVH and the head unit, and the 2019s pretty much fix both of those things. More sound deadening and thicker glass make a noticeable difference, and the 2019+ head unit is worlds better. Unfortunately ditching the GTI already would be an abhorrently bad financial decision.

The 19" :ramz: make me :triggered: and I'd have to ditch them pretty much immediately, but otherwise all it needs is a cat-back and I think I'd be content in one for a long time.
This sounds like a terrible decision, may want to go through your older posts to see why you ditched it. 19+ sti is still an sti, rough ride, loud, bad mpg etc all the reasons you listed before
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:16 am Struggling. Want to :troywax: on some roof bars and a Thule Thruride, but not if I'm going to off the car.

Still Manuel only?
The new 2.4T outback looks nice.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I would STi :iono: they’re :neat:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:13 pm I would STi :iono: they’re :neat:
#metoo :sissyfight:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:22 am This sounds like a terrible decision, may want to go through your older posts to see why you ditched it. 19+ sti is still an sti, rough ride, loud, bad mpg etc all the reasons you listed before
I ditched it because the timing of the lease ending matched roughly with when we expect to have kid #2. I was afraid that buying it out at the end of the lease would be a no-go because we'd also need to upgrade the family hauler at the same time, and I'm :scrooge: enough that I refuse to have two car payments at the same time. I'd have either been stuck driving the RDX or whatever 7 passenger mom-mobile we end up with. We're chucking $2,500/mo at the GTI now, though, and will have it paid off in 6 months. Had we bought out the STi it would have taken another 4 months on top of that, but we could have done it before crotchfruit #2 arrived. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that shit.

The main reason I'm back to wanting an STi is because my wife hates everything else. Every 3rd car I suggest gets shot down unless it's an M3 (meh) or a 911 ( :nope: ). The GTI is a fine daily, but FWD anything as my only car kind of sucks.

Doesn't matter, though, it isn't happening.
max225

coogles wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:53 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:22 am This sounds like a terrible decision, may want to go through your older posts to see why you ditched it. 19+ sti is still an sti, rough ride, loud, bad mpg etc all the reasons you listed before
I ditched it because the timing of the lease ending matched roughly with when we expect to have kid #2. I was afraid that buying it out at the end of the lease would be a no-go because we'd also need to upgrade the family hauler at the same time, and I'm :scrooge: enough that I refuse to have two car payments at the same time. I'd have either been stuck driving the RDX or whatever 7 passenger mom-mobile we end up with. We're chucking $2,500/mo at the GTI now, though, and will have it paid off in 6 months. Had we bought out the STi it would have taken another 4 months on top of that, but we could have done it before crotchfruit #2 arrived. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that shit.

The main reason I'm back to wanting an STi is because my wife hates everything else. Every 3rd car I suggest gets shot down unless it's an M3 (meh) or a 911 ( :nope: ). The GTI is a fine daily, but FWD anything as my only car kind of sucks.

Aight... well it doesn't hurt to use this board as a sounding board, it helps us all stay sane.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So, where is the wife on all of this outside the third car thing? Is she fine with the :plac: to STi move?

I brought up my :plac: thoughts with the fiancee last night and she didn't really offer her opinion about anything, just kinda rolled her eyes like "you're going to do what you're going to do" and changed the subject because she doesn't like talking cars with me. Curious how this conversation goes for other people.

Want to buy a :manuel: 328i? It's RWD :waiting:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:26 pm

So, where is the wife on all of this outside the third car thing? Is she fine with the :plac: to STi move?

I brought up my :plac: thoughts with the fiancee last night and she didn't really offer her opinion about anything, just kinda rolled her eyes like "you're going to do what you're going to do" and changed the subject because she doesn't like talking cars with me. Curious how this conversation goes for other people.

I'ma one up you and offer my blue rally machine up for sail :hubba:

Srs tho, PM me if you want it
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:26 pm So, where is the wife on all of this outside the third car thing? Is she fine with the :plac: to STi move?

She's annoyed that I didn't just keep the one I had. She understands why I sold it, but she was okay with keeping it because it's what I really wanted. It was really my own :scrooge: tendencies that made me off the thing, but I regretted it pretty much instantly. The issues I dealt with after getting the GTI back due to :dillerman: fuckery made the experience exponentially worse.

She's not really on board with another STi, but only because of the cost. We owe a little over $15k, which is basically break-even on trade. I might be able to sell it for $17-18k privately, but not having the title in hand makes that a huge PITA unless I sell it to someone I know. $0 down on a $38k STi is a big :nope:, and they no longer lease well. I reached out to my salesbro and the residuals dropped from 67% on the base '17s to 59% on the base '19s. A $38k base would lease for about $525/mo. :disgust:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:46 pm I'ma one up you and offer my blue rally machine up for sail :hubba:

Srs tho, PM me if you want it
Don't do it!

For reals, though, I'm going to take the next 4-5 months to take a big chunk out of how much we owe on this thing and reevaluate at the end of the summer.