The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:35 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:32 pm if it's not on 134a that's about right.

also Farah said it eats power steering pumps about 1 per 50k
Ha yeah I remember him talking about that on the podcast. His is a first gen, I'm not sure if the second gen VVT engine is laid out the same way with the power steering pump sitting right over the alternator, but even if it is that's a pretty minor repair.
New house, 3 kids (two of which new born twins), both working, and you're going to find the time to change a steering pump on the hooptie you bought to cart the kids around?

:yeahok:

For $7k, you could do a lease takeover on something basic with a warranty for 24 months and just take a break from cars until you can get back in the GTI.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:49 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:35 pm

Ha yeah I remember him talking about that on the podcast. His is a first gen, I'm not sure if the second gen VVT engine is laid out the same way with the power steering pump sitting right over the alternator, but even if it is that's a pretty minor repair.
New house, 3 kids (two of which new born twins), both working, and you're going to find the time to change a steering pump on the hooptie you bought to cart the kids around?

For $7k, you could do a lease takeover on something basic with a warranty for 24 months and just take a break from cars until you can get back in the GTI.
:dat:

twins.... fuck. they will come early btw.

I barely had time for anything and still struggle for spare time with one. one!

just get something reliable man.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:49 pm

I don't even have kids and never have time for anything.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:57 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:53 pm

I don't even have kids and never have time for anything.
I don't even work 60 hours a week or have kids and never have time for anything. :eeyore:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:49 pm New house, 3 kids (two of which new born twins), both working, and you're going to find the time to change a steering pump on the hooptie you bought to cart the kids around?

An LS400 isn't exactly a hooptie, but okay.

I've considered the lease takeover option and it makes a ton of sense if it has the miles available. With the longer commute I'll probably do at least 12k a year, probably closer to 15k unless I keep the GTI around to just run around on my own when I need to.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Apparently you can even get a 14+ model for cheap, these cars really are worthless...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:49 pm New house, 3 kids (two of which new born twins), both working, and you're going to find the time to change a steering pump on the hooptie you bought to cart the kids around?

An LS400 isn't exactly a hooptie, but okay.

I've considered the lease takeover option and it makes a ton of sense if it has the miles available. With the longer commute I'll probably do at least 12k a year, probably closer to 15k unless I keep the GTI around to just run around on my own when I need to.
I thought the entire plan was to keep the GTI around?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Guys... HE DOESN'T WANT A FUCKING MINIVAN. We all get the suggestion, understand the practical merits, etc. HE DOESN'T WANT ONE THOUGH. It's funny that this is the same forum that bashed me years ago for talking about buying a one owner Odyssey from my parents for $600 to own alongside my :poorvette: for shit hauling. Dragged me through the mud endlessly!

I think the Mazderp 6 is a pretty good suggestion. A buddy of mine with two little dudes had a '14 and it was huge inside and drove pretty nice the one time I took it out.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:00 pm Guys... HE DOESN'T WANT A FUCKING MINIVAN. We all get the suggestion, understand the practical merits, etc. HE DOESN'T WANT ONE THOUGH. It's funny that this is the same forum that bashed me years ago for talking about buying a one owner Odyssey from my parents for $600 to own alongside my :poorvette: for shit hauling. Dragged me through the mud endlessly!

I think the Mazderp 6 is a pretty good suggestion. A buddy of mine with two little dudes had a '14 and it was huge inside and drove pretty nice the one time I took it out.
All :dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:00 pm Guys... HE DOESN'T WANT A FUCKING MINIVAN. We all get the suggestion, understand the practical merits, etc. HE DOESN'T WANT ONE THOUGH. It's funny that this is the same forum that bashed me years ago for talking about buying a one owner Odyssey from my parents for $600 to own alongside my :poorvette: for shit hauling. Dragged me through the mud endlessly!

2 very different scenarios. Dude needs something to haul 3 :baby: around in, minivans are DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS TASK. We'd be remiss to not beat that idea into the ground.

You just wanted to look like a creeper driving a minivan around for no reason other than ?

But fair point, the minivan isn't wanted. A Mazda 6 would be :jimp: IMO. They're great vehicles. I really think prioritizing modern over unique is critical here. Old cars gonna old...I really think something older than 10 years is a mistake here.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

for the record I was on board with you taking the basically free utility can.

also agree with dplac, trizzle, and yourself on the 6. they were massively unloved and therefore cheaper, good, newer cars. Old car here is a mistake.

Another few cars like that: ford flex, ford Taurus (new of course), ford 500, anything Mitsubishi, anything kia
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I too vote Mazda 6.

Can even be had with a :manuel: if you look.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:52 am

also agree with dplac, trizzle, and yourself on the 6. they were massively unloved and therefore cheaper, good, newer cars. Old car here is a mistake.

Another few cars like that: ford flex, ford Taurus (new of course), ford 500, anything Mitsubishi, anything kia
I was going to suggest an Ecoboost Flex. Fast, cool looking, giant inside. Would be 5/7.

BUT it's probably too much like a minivan.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:47 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:52 am

I was going to suggest an Ecoboost Flex. Fast, cool looking, giant inside. Would be 5/7.

I tried to get the :tits: to look at one when we were shopping. it was unfortunately a nonstarer conversation. :rolleyes:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:55 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:47 am

I tried to get the :tits: to look at one when we were shopping. it was unfortunately a nonstarer conversation. :rolleyes:
:|

It's the only Ford vehicle that I think is cool. Always have. They're super :neat:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:58 pm I thought the entire plan was to keep the GTI around?
It is, but it's not happening if I end up having to buy something newer and more expensive. With some of the proceeds from selling the :haus: we'll cut a check for the balance on the Atlas since you can't borrow access every bit of equity in a place to use as a down payment on the next. We're on track to have the GTI paid off by Feb or March, then I'm done with car payments forever. Unless we can cut a check for a cheap family hauler, the GTI is getting offed.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

coogles wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:03 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:58 pm I thought the entire plan was to keep the GTI around?
It is, but it's not happening if I end up having to buy something newer and more expensive. With some of the proceeds from selling the :haus: we'll cut a check for the balance on the Atlas since you can't borrow access every bit of equity in a place to use as a down payment on the next. We're on track to have the GTI paid off by Feb or March, then I'm done with car payments forever. Unless we can cut a check for a cheap family hauler, the GTI is getting offed.
I get the desire for a fun car, esp with the space you will have, I really do.

but. practically speaking, the smart move here is to off the GTI while it still has good value (it will only go down even if you limit milage) for something newer and more reliable to fit your needs.

fill the space for the need for a fun car with a classic Miata or something sporty. hell, mk4 R's can be had for 10k and those are probably at the bottom valve wise; you could potentially own that for free... and it can haul some kids in a pinch. I know you wanted to be able to haul the fam in a fun car, but it's just a difficult and unique problem....and why an amg or rs6 or /M wagons are 80k.

just trying to offer perspective on this. it's a similar situation to what I was in with the z4 and a baby on the way.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:57 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:55 am

:|

It's the only Ford vehicle that I think is cool. Always have. They're super :neat:
coworker has one. Alan and I were discussing its merits and where it failed. It certainly does a lot.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:12 am I get the desire for a fun car, esp with the space you will have, I really do.

but. practically speaking, the smart move here is to off the GTI while it still has good value (it will only go down even if you limit milage) for something newer and more reliable to fit your needs.

fill the space for the need for a fun car with a classic Miata or something sporty. hell, mk4 R's can be had for 10k and those are probably at the bottom valve wise; you could potentially own that for free... and it can haul some kids in a pinch. I know you wanted to be able to haul the fam in a fun car, but it's just a difficult and unique problem....and why an amg or rs6 or /M wagons are 80k.

just trying to offer perspective on this. it's a similar situation to what I was in with the z4 and a baby on the way.
I get that perspective, I really do, but the problem I have with offing the GTI is that I'll only need something bigger for a year at most. 3 of the narrower Clek convertible seats will fit 3 across in the GTI, at which point I could go back to driving that every day. Then I could do GTI + Miata, instead of Sienna + Miata, or whatever that fun car would end up being.

First option will be to try to teach :tits: to drive :manuel: again and just drive the Atlas for a year. If that doesn't work, I think a lease takeover would be my best bet. At that point I wouldn't give a shit what it is as long as it fits 3 car seats and doesn't get 8 mpg.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Buy the LS400. Strong like bull.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:01 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:12 am I get the desire for a fun car, esp with the space you will have, I really do.

I get that perspective, I really do, but the problem I have with offing the GTI is that I'll only need something bigger for a year at most. 3 of the narrower Clek convertible seats will fit 3 across in the GTI, at which point I could go back to driving that every day. Then I could do GTI + Miata, instead of Sienna + Miata, or whatever that fun car would end up being.

First option will be to try to teach :tits: to drive :manuel: again and just drive the Atlas for a year. If that doesn't work, I think a lease takeover would be my best bet. At that point I wouldn't give a shit what it is as long as it fits 3 car seats and doesn't get 8 mpg.
Excellent plan IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:08 am Buy the LS400. Strong like bull.
You're going to fly out and help the man change a power steering pump because he's got 3 tiny humans excreting all over him on maybe 2 hours of sleep?

Lets be real here. An older car adds way too much unnecessary risk of time suck. Dude will have plenty on his plate as it is.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:01 am

I think your thought process makes sense. If the GTI is going to be a workable daily for a long time, that's your best bet... it's fun, inexpensive (already lost the biggest chunk on it, cheaper to keep 'er), efficient, and pretty decent for space.

I think teaching :tits: :manuel: is a nonstarter. Adding stress with twins on the way would just cause resentment in most cases. It's very annoying how :tits: act like driving :manuel: is akin to an MIT PHD... but it is what it is, many of us our in a similar boat, I don't think it's worth :rage: to try to teach them. I'll only teach :manuel: to someone who actually WANTS to learn ever again. Hell, my :tits: can drie a :manuel: perfectly smoothly but just won't because it's "scary" :rolleyes: .

I'd just try to find the cheapest lease takeover possible that fits the bill for minimal headache - no maintenance needed, you won't have to :dealwithit: selling it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:20 am
You're going to fly out and help the man change a power steering pump because he's got 3 tiny humans excreting all over him on maybe 2 hours of sleep?

Lets be real here. An older car adds way too much unnecessary risk of time suck. Dude will have plenty on his plate as it is.

and :notbad: :gag: visual.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:20 am

Interesting. No I won't be flying out to help him change a power steering pump.

First, as usual, the automotive experts on DFD have ordained in their old uncle voice "you'll lose a power steering pump on that for sure!" Despite the fact that one of our members drove a literal time bomb of mechanical intricacy, a V8 Audi S4 Avant :manuel: for OVER A YEAR. And nothing happened. Unscathed. Clean as a virgin snowfall. Yet in this example, we have the most easily diagnosed failure on a vehicle short of a cracked windshield and.........somebody has to change it themselves in the winter? Because we couldn't just take it to a Lexus dealer, get it fixed, and drive the loaner they provide? Because, on DFD, there are only two alternatives.....brand new under warranty, or DIY. Paying someone else to repair something NOT UNDER WARRANTY IS A SEPPUKU EVENT.

Second, Coogles....

In one scenario you are in the left lane, at 85 mph, tach barely over 2K, soaking up every bump like it never happened in THE FLAGSHIP OF JAPANESE LATE 80'S ECONOMIC ASCENDANCY. There you are, casting down the automotive world order onto the rocks below. No longer is the world faced with purchasing a FWD Northstar Cadillac with 4000 electrical gremlins or the faltering quality of a Mercedes Benz with 4000 electrical gremlins, a company resting on the laurels of a reputation long since tarnished.....you are piloting a vehicle with a million mile wiring harness.

Or, switch it up, and throw on some leather flight gear on the way to the office.....

There you, are piloting your Mitsubishi A6M over the skies of Manchuria, looking below at a continent subjugated to the economic will of your military warlord bosses.....

EITHER WAY, YOU ARE A HERO OF THE RISING SUN, as opposed to what these other guys are offering you, which is basically knowing daytime television schedules in detail.

When did you guys all become members of the The View, wagging your fingers at people and saying "Hey Gurl, Hey, you need a car with a warrantEEEEEEEEEEE"
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.