The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:50 am

Dang man, well fingers crossed for one of these two new roles for you!

How much is the STI deposit? The $12K car is an Ody? Did they still have tranny issues in 2011? That is kind of old/high miles. It's crazy that we live in a world where $12K for a 10 year old :minivan: is a good :dill: , but it is what it is.

As someone who has flip-flopped between 1 & 2 cars a few times, just know that it is sometimes tough to find time to maintain/drive multiple vehicles. Given how busy you are, it may be something to keep in mind. If the STI was your only car, you would end up enjoying it at least once in a while. Say you got a Miata or something, it may end up just kind of sitting. That said, if it's sitting inside the garage and you don't GAF about keeping the van clean/nice, it's likely NBD.
It was $500 to reserve the STi. The $12k car is an Odyssey, yep - 2011s still have the 5 speed, but they were pretty sorted by then. We had that trans in my wife's 2012 RDX, it was totally fine.

Regardless, at some point soon we are going to need two cars than can haul all 3 kids. Some of my wife's peers are going into the office occasionally now and it would be beneficial for her to show her face and be able to do that when necessary. It's a pain for the same person to do drop-off and pickup of the kids, so if we're splitting kid hauling duties, we need two cars that can do it.

As long as said sports car has a somewhat usable back seat, it would functionally be as practical as the GTI, at least for what I currently use it for. It's either a random escape for just me, a date night car for the two of us when we have help with the kiddos, or it's just me and my son. He could fit in the back of a GR86, for example, on the passenger side if the front seat on that side is all the way up. Minivan won't fit in the garage regardless. We have a "3" car garage that won't fit two full size vehicles.
Yeah if you only need the ability to take a front facing kid, I would get a GR86 or Camaro/Mustang of the most performance you can. They will be more fun than any of the three kid capable 'fun' cars anyway.

I just hope you can ultimately get the thing... this was my concern with selling the Corvette honestly, my wife was all like 'you can get two cars again when you want' and stuff, but when the rubber meets the road she will be all :sass: now isn't a good time.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:10 pm Yeah if you only need the ability to take a front facing kid, I would get a GR86 or Camaro/Mustang of the most performance you can. They will be more fun than any of the three kid capable 'fun' cars anyway.

I just hope you can ultimately get the thing... this was my concern with selling the Corvette honestly, my wife was all like 'you can get two cars again when you want' and stuff, but when the rubber meets the road she will be all :sass: now isn't a good time.
She may end up being that way when it comes time to sign some paperwork, but she is being shockingly supportive. She knows how important having some kind of car escape is to me.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:10 pm Yeah if you only need the ability to take a front facing kid, I would get a GR86 or Camaro/Mustang of the most performance you can. They will be more fun than any of the three kid capable 'fun' cars anyway.

She may end up being that way when it comes time to sign some paperwork, but she is being shockingly supportive. She knows how important having some kind of car escape is to me.
Is she signing for the car?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:22 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:14 pm

No, she wouldn't need to. Why?
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:27 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:22 pm

You mentioned she may change her mind when signing papers ? :iono:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:36 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:27 pm

You mentioned she may change her mind when signing papers ? :iono:
I just meant signing papers is when you actually take ownership of a new car, until then it's just talk. "When the rubber meets the road" as Griff put it.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Yea, careful.

We're down to one car for both of us for the last 8 months. Everytime I even mention another one it's :ayfkm: :butwhy: :sass: from the wife. Easier to give up.

I had 4-5 cars at one time to myself in my hayday.

:ohwell:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:27 pm Yea, careful.

We're down to one car for both of us for the last 8 months. Everytime I even mention another one it's :ayfkm: :butwhy: :sass: from the wife. Easier to give up.

I had 4-5 cars at one time to myself in my hayday.

:ohwell:
:dat:

I don't know that mine is quite as :sass: as Infamous :lolol: but it's certainly easier to be supportive when it's a 'someday in the future' thing. It goes both ways though, her main issue with me having two cars is that when I had two cars, it stressed me out and I complained about it.

Fortunately the Beemah is fun enough for me at the moment. I do miss a real sports car :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:01 pm :dat:

I don't know that mine is quite as :sass: as Infamous :lolol: but it's certainly easier to be supportive when it's a 'someday in the future' thing. It goes both ways though, her main issue with me having two cars is that when I had two cars, it stressed me out and I complained about it.

Fortunately the Beemah is fun enough for me at the moment. I do miss a real sports car :doe:
Excusing the job situation, she's straight up told me to go buy the STi. I guess she could renege on that, but it sure seems like she's on board with a 3rd vehicle.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:01 pm :dat:

Excusing the job situation, she's straight up told me to go buy the STi. I guess she could renege on that, but it sure seems like she's on board with a 3rd vehicle.
:notbad:

:iono: I would have a hard time not taking the 'bird in hand' in this situation, but I also casually want an STI, so I'm probably a bit biased :lolol:
max225

I can’t post :( 6 errors in a row … testing :wtf: now it works.

Was going to say it’s super deflating to be all smiles take sti home and have her say :ayfkm:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:53 pm I can’t post :( 6 errors in a row … testing :wtf: now it works.

Was going to say it’s super deflating to be all smiles take sti home and have her say :ayfkm:
The server error seems to pop up when trying to quote randomly. It's been getting worse lately, and like Dan mentioned somewhere in the past, no clue why, and no clue how to fix it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So the Odyssey was NICE. Seriously the nicest one I've driven yet, and I've driven probably 5 or 6 of them now. I can firmly say now I prefer the 5 speed to the 6 speed in the 2014+. I don't know why, but all of those seem to shift like :poop: . The 5 speed could use an extra gear, but they drive much more smoothly. The shocks all looked newer, brakes had tons of life left, it drove straight at highway speeds, straight under braking and no shimmy in the wheel like most of them do, steering felt tight, no corrosion anywhere, just NICE. The only problem is, it hasn't had the timing belt done. The PO clearly put some money into maintenance but couldn't bother to do the timing belt service. I called the dealer where it was serviced to confirm it hadn't been done and just not noted on the CarFax, and they confirmed it hadn't been despite numerous recommendations. They also quoted me nearly $2,200 for the 100k and 105k services combined. Ouch. I called an indy shop for a second quote (they'll get back to me), but I'll definitely expect some flexibility on price if I'm going to do this thing.

Kind of excited, though. Get the :baby: :baby: :baby: hauler knocked out for $14k all-in, and maybe get a GR86 on order or something.
Last edited by coogles on Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:40 pm :notbad:

:iono: I would have a hard time not taking the 'bird in hand' in this situation, but I also casually want an STI, so I'm probably a bit biased :lolol:
Man I do too, even if I don't necessarily want silver. It would be a lot of fun to be burbling around in one again. Ugh. Can't believe I haven't heard back on the job yet, and I have to tell the Subie dealer what I'm doing basically...right now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:32 pm So the Odyssey was NICE. Seriously the nicest one I've driven yet, and I've driven probably 5 or 6 of them now. I can firmly say now I prefer the 5 speed to the 6 speed in the 2014+. I don't know why, but all of those seem to shift like :poop: . The 5 speed could use an extra gear, but they drive much more smoothly. The shocks all looked newer, brakes had tons of life left, it drove straight at highway speeds, straight under braking and no shimmy in the wheel like most of them do, steering felt tight, no corrosion anywhere, just NICE. The only problem is, it hasn't had the timing belt done. The PO clearly put some money into maintenance but couldn't bother to do the timing belt service. I called the dealer where it was serviced to confirm it hadn't been done and just not noted on the CarFax, and they confirmed it hadn't been despite numerous recommendations. They also quoted me nearly $2,200 for the 100k and 105k services combined. Ouch. I called an indy shop for a second quote (they'll get back to me), but I'll definitely expect some flexibility on price if I'm going to do this thing.

Kind of excited, though. Get the :baby: :baby: :baby: hauler knocked out for $14k all-in, and maybe get a GR86 on order or something.

Personally I want a GR86 even more than an STI. Both are :nice: but I think the 86 is better as a true fun car, STI better all arounder. Have you owned a RWD car?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:49 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:32 pm So the Odyssey was NICE. Seriously the nicest one I've driven yet, and I've driven probably 5 or 6 of them now. I can firmly say now I prefer the 5 speed to the 6 speed in the 2014+. I don't know why, but all of those seem to shift like :poop: . The 5 speed could use an extra gear, but they drive much more smoothly. The shocks all looked newer, brakes had tons of life left, it drove straight at highway speeds, straight under braking and no shimmy in the wheel like most of them do, steering felt tight, no corrosion anywhere, just NICE. The only problem is, it hasn't had the timing belt done. The PO clearly put some money into maintenance but couldn't bother to do the timing belt service. I called the dealer where it was serviced to confirm it hadn't been done and just not noted on the CarFax, and they confirmed it hadn't been despite numerous recommendations. They also quoted me nearly $2,200 for the 100k and 105k services combined. Ouch. I called an indy shop for a second quote (they'll get back to me), but I'll definitely expect some flexibility on price if I'm going to do this thing.

Personally I want a GR86 even more than an STI. Both are :nice: but I think the 86 is better as a true fun car, STI better all arounder. Have you owned a RWD car?
I have not, and that's the biggest thing leaning me in favor of the 86. The only downside is the power, still. I know it's much faster than the old one, it's probably a little faster than my GTI even, but a STi with just a downpipe and a tune will make 300whp. With the 86 I might be able to do a track day or two a year, but that extra power would be nice the rest of the time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:49 pm

I have not, and that's the biggest thing leaning me in favor of the 86. The only downside is the power, still. I know it's much faster than the old one, it's probably a little faster than my GTI even, but a STi with just a downpipe and a tune will make 300whp. With the 86 I might be able to do a track day or two a year, but that extra power would be nice the rest of the time.
Hmmm yeah it is sort of like the road bike thing in a way, 86 will be epic but if all of the driving is on a flat grid, :notsure: That thing really needs mountain roads, autox, track, or something like that, to extract the fun.

I imagine it would be a hoot in the snow :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:36 pmHmmm yeah it is sort of like the road bike thing in a way, 86 will be epic but if all of the driving is on a flat grid, :notsure: That thing really needs mountain roads, autox, track, or something like that, to extract the fun.

I'm in the burbs, so not much grid, and I have access to some country roads not too far away, but they're mostly straight. The best driving roads in the state are an hour-ish south of me and I rarely get down there. Something with some :balls: would probably be more fun, more of the time. I think?
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:36 pmHmmm yeah it is sort of like the road bike thing in a way, 86 will be epic but if all of the driving is on a flat grid, :notsure: That thing really needs mountain roads, autox, track, or something like that, to extract the fun.

I'm in the burbs, so not much grid, and I have access to some country roads not too far away, but they're mostly straight. The best driving roads in the state are an hour-ish south of me and I rarely get down there. Something with some :balls: would probably be more fun, more of the time. I think?
I've lived in similar geographic areas. You want powaaa. Slow cars going straight are boring.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:40 pm

I will say, for just driving around town, my POS NA Miata was the most fun car I've ever had. You can go WOT all the time, dorifto through intersections when traffic is light at night or early morning with little consequence due to the low speed, enjoy country/suburban twisties without having to go 100+ MPH like in the Corvette.

It's tough to know though.

I've never owned an AWD car, but I can certainly saw RWD is more fun than FWD 10% of the time. I think AWD would be fun because you can go really fast and it makes you a hero in a sense, but you can live dangerously with RWD. Even the new 86 will probably feel slower in a straight line than a MK7 GTI.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

It's tough to know unless you're someone like Matt Farrah and get to have a go in everything under the sun. To date the most fun I've ever had driving a car was the AP2 S2000. Short gears, great sensation of speed, unreal shifter with perfect pedal placement, just tons of fun from 40-70mph. Maybe I say screw the kiddo and get one of those. :lol: I have no idea.

The Subie dealer said they'll hold the car until Friday now, so I have a little while longer to decide. Works out well considering I'm waiting to hear what the timing belt service for the Odyssey will cost at the Indy shop.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:07 pm It's tough to know unless you're someone like Matt Farrah and get to have a go in everything under the sun. To date the most fun I've ever had driving a car was the AP2 S2000. Short gears, great sensation of speed, unreal shifter with perfect pedal placement, just tons of fun from 40-70mph. Maybe I say screw the kiddo and get one of those. :lol: I have no idea.

The Subie dealer said they'll hold the car until Friday now, so I have a little while longer to decide. Works out well considering I'm waiting to hear what the timing belt service for the Odyssey will cost at the Indy shop.
I mean... unless you love the convertible aspect, the new 86 is like a brand new with warranty S2000. Same power, same weight, pretty darn great shifting/short gearing. But you also get a tiny back seat, better seats, a new car that won't break... all for the same price.

I have always wanted an S2000 but they are a tough pill to swallow at $30k/15+ years old.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:07 pm It's tough to know unless you're someone like Matt Farrah and get to have a go in everything under the sun. To date the most fun I've ever had driving a car was the AP2 S2000. Short gears, great sensation of speed, unreal shifter with perfect pedal placement, just tons of fun from 40-70mph. Maybe I say screw the kiddo and get one of those. :lol: I have no idea.

Timing belt should run about $800-900 at an Indy btw.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:24 am I mean... unless you love the convertible aspect, the new 86 is like a brand new with warranty S2000. Same power, same weight, pretty darn great shifting/short gearing. But you also get a tiny back seat, better seats, a new car that won't break... all for the same price.

I have always wanted an S2000 but they are a tough pill to swallow at $30k/15+ years old.
I'm definitely into the convertible aspect, and so is the wife. I've driven an S2000 twice; the first time just around some suburban roads with the top up and it was only okay. Great inputs of course, but I didn't get to stretch its legs. The second time I dropped the top, got out into the country, wrung its neck and had the best time I've ever had in a car. My hands were shaking with adrenaline when I got back to the dealership. I don't have much experience with actual sports cars, but I have driven a cam & heads C5, a C6 Grand Sport, and a 10 second grand national, and none of them was as much fun as that S2000 was.

I somewhat disagree with you on the $30k+/15 years point. I don't think S2000 values are going anywhere but up long-term, and the new BRZs and 86s will probably depreciate just like the first gens did until they're 10+ years old, and then only the really clean, low-mileage ones. I still think they're a great value, but from a cash in, cash out perspective over what is likely to be my ownership period, I think the S2000 would be the better option.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:43 am

Timing belt should run about $800-900 at an Indy btw.
Just got off the phone with them, actually. They quoted 8 hours for labor for the 100k and 105k services combined, which @ $100/hr is $800 by itself. $740 for parts, $1,625 out the door with taxes and shop supplies and such. Still almost $800 less than the :dillerman: quoted.

Looking around at other 2011 Odyssey EX-Ls with the same mileage, $13k looks to be about the median value. So if they'll let it go for $11,500 from the $12,400 it's currently listed for that would put me right at $13k. We'll see if they'll go that low - I rather doubt it.