The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:49 pm First wash since the winter setup went on. :yikes:Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That looks damn good dude. Very nice for a winter setup, and something I'd consider rocking all year actually.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: That looks damn good dude. Very nice for a winter setup, and something I'd consider rocking all year actually.
Thanks Johnny.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

First snowfall of the year. Time to go play in an empty parking lot. :fuckyeah:

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Drove dis today -

More deets - http://www.audiindianapolis.com/used/Au ... 3c4ad9.htm

Wish I would have waited until we had my wife's car paid off so I wouldn't have been constrained to looking only at leases and could have considered one of these from the start. Cliff notes are just that it might be the perfect daily. Quick enough to get around traffic with ease, handles beautifully at test drive speeds, and has a quiet, solid chassis and rattle free interior even at sub-30* temps. Part of me really wants to pull the trigger, part of me thinks that would be insane. Might just depend on what they'd give me on a trade, and if we're too far off on numbers it's not even worth considering.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 pm Drove dis today -

Wish I would have waited until we had my wife's car paid off so I wouldn't have been constrained to looking only at leases and could have considered one of these from the start. Cliff notes are just that it might be the perfect daily. Quick enough to get around traffic with ease, handles beautifully at test drive speeds, and has a quiet, solid chassis and rattle free interior even at sub-30* temps. Part of me really wants to pull the trigger, part of me thinks that would be insane. Might just depend on what they'd give me on a trade, and if we're too far off on numbers it's not even worth considering.
Sweet!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:Go B8.5 bro.

Don't do an early one.

That being said, the 3.0T is impressively reliable save for the typical german waterpump woes.
Is something really wrong with the 2012s or is it more about the updates being worth paying the extra for? I remember reading way back about major steering issues with the '13s, I even came across one with a lemoned Carfax due to repeated steering problems. Was thinking I should avoid those, but unfortunately the '14+ cars are still expensive enough that I'd just ride out the lease and wait for them to come down.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

:plac:

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 am :plac:

:dat:
Johnny_P

Yeah I like these a lot. Prices are really attractive too. See what the :dillerman: will give you for the rice rocket.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Yeah I like these a lot. Prices are really attractive too. See what the :dillerman: will give you for the rice rocket.
For :science:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Trade fun new STI with two sets of :ramz: for a used automatic gray Audi? :butwhy:

They're quick and quiet but not fun.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:21 pm Yeah I like these a lot. Prices are really attractive too. See what the :dillerman: will give you for the rice rocket.
I liked it a ton. Still waiting to hear back from the :dillerman:. Dude was kind of a prick, so I don't have high hopes on that front.

More impressions -

- Exterior -
This car in particular is all but perfect - I didn't find a single rock chip on the front end at all and the paint looked to be in excellent shape. It was sort of dusty, but if there were any swirl marks in the paint I couldn't see them in that lighting. Overall the thing has a beautiful long, low, sleek look that's missing from the STi. The seemingly lower roof and belt lines, the way the fenders flare out low on the wheel arches instead of high up on the panel, the 19s on what is really not very big car, it all gives a very different impression from the STi, which is sort of chunky in its styling with the tall fender bulges and deep rocker sills.

- Interior -
All but perfect here too. The leather on the driver's bolster is a little worn, but it looks worse in pictures than in person. First impression, once I lowered the seat all the way - is how much lower you sit in the S4 than the STi. One of my biggest complaints about the Subie coming from the GTI is how high the seating position is and how the chair doesn't tilt back enough to provide the same kind of thigh support as the seats in the GTI. The S4 seats felt similar to the GTIs, but a bit tighter. Honestly, perfect. I actually really liked the silver/white Alcantara centers, I thought I wouldn't. They look really bright in pictures, but in person the color is more muted and really looks nice. I'd still fear it getting dirty very easily, though - I'm sure it'd pick up dye from jeans and dirt from just about everything. Having a steam cleaner would probably be a must. Otherwise, though, I found the interior sort of meh. All of the switchgear had a sort of chintzy feel, with short button presses and more of a "snap" than a "click" when you press anything. I'd prefer the flat bottom wheel in the B8.5, and definitely the shift lever, but otherwise they look pretty much identical in pictures. Not sure if the other updates included with the B8.5 would really have much of an impact inside.

- Driving -
The car had been sitting for awhile so the tires had some slight flat spotting, plus it was freezing :tits: yesterday, but once the car had some heat in it, it felt amaze:balls:. I drove around in comfort for a few minutes to let the car warm up, then switched to dynamic and hit some roundabouts in Carmel. The thing is just so solid. If there's one takeaway I had, it's that even in sub-freezing temps the car feels like it's made of granite. Otherwise, that drivetrain is really the highlight. The lag and surge of the EJ is fun, but so is having a V6 with a roots blower on top that makes boat loads of torque from 2k rpm. The DSG feels snappier than the 6 speeds I've driven in GTIs. In dynamic it was actually really good, and seemed to adjust its shift speed based on how much throttle I used. Manual mode felt pretty damn good too. Upshifts and downshifts both clicked off quickly with no real delay. Same as in dynamic mode, the shift speed itself seemed to pick up with more throttle use. I wasn't hitting its limits or anything, but really the car felt totally competent handling Carmel's most impressive array of roundabouts. I took one of the figure 8 interchanges all the way around and body roll seemed pretty minimal, then shooting out of said roundabout onto one of the major streets was very nice. The S4 definitely doesn't feel like the nearly 4,000 pound car that it is. As for steering, I think I'd have to play around more with it. In comfort it was too light, in dynamic it was bordering on too heavy. Dynamic also felt like it had a quicker ratio? Might just have been in my head. :notsure: I'd guess dynamic mode for the trans & sports diff, standard for steering is the way to go, but I didn't bother to do a custom setting.

This is probably the B8 to get if I'd do it. One owner, a woman in her 60s now, bought the car brand new from this dealership and had it serviced there religiously. Brand new Pilot Sport AS3+ tires, 5k miles on the brakes at all 4 corners, 55k service already done, near perfect cosmetic condition, and every option you'd need, including the sport diff and B&O sound. :iono:
Last edited by coogles on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:54 pm For :science:
It won't be pretty. My guess is they'll offer $30k even.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:18 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:54 pm For :science:
What's your "pay off" ?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:18 pm

What's your "pay off" ?
Residual is $27k. Buyout as of today is $28.9k. I'm paying almost nothing but interest for the rest of the lease.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:27 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 pm

What's your "pay off" ?
Residual is $27k. Buyout as of today is $28.9k. I'm paying almost nothing but interest for the rest of the lease.
So you'd get around 1k in plac profit for trading out early. However that would make it a really expensive ownershit for the first 9 months?! 10K?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:
coogles wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:27 pm Residual is $27k. Buyout as of today is $28.9k. I'm paying almost nothing but interest for the rest of the lease.
So you'd get around 1k in plac profit for trading out early. However that would make it a really expensive ownershit for the first 9 months?! 10K?
Exactly. If it's 30k there's no way I'd consider this. I worked up the math and the breakeven for the rest of the lease term is about $33k on trade. Doubt they'd go that high, but we'll see.

Johnny_P

:jelly: sounds like an awesome car! It's something like this or something like a JL for me next. These are a great value play though, especially at $25k.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:41 pm :jelly: sounds like an awesome car! It's something like this or something like a JL for me next. These are a great value play though, especially at $25k.
Yea... they are not bad... but S4's depreciate like crazy... that was a 65k-68k car after tax only a short 4 years ago... it lost an Entire STI of value in that time.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:41 pm :jelly: sounds like an awesome car! It's something like this or something like a JL for me next. These are a great value play though, especially at $25k.
Yea... they are not bad... but S4's depreciate like crazy... that was a 65k-68k car after tax only a short 4 years ago... it lost an Entire STI of value in that time.
Not much more left to go starting at $25k though, if you keep it nice it will always be worth $10k. E90 M3's are in the same range now, I kind of want one but am still far too cheap to spend that kind of money.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

I forget what year they stopped so maybe they are too old now, but when I was considering cars in the mid-20ks a few years ago, it seemed like a good deal was the Acura TL with SH-AWD. I’ve never driven one, but it had decent power and that awd system sounding neat on paper.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:
This one had a sticker of $56.3k, probably gave her ~$22k on trade I'd guess. That'd be $34k and change plus tax in 5.5 years.

troyguitar

Calvinball wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:04 pm I forget what year they stopped so maybe they are too old now, but when I was considering cars in the mid-20ks a few years ago, it seemed like a good deal was the Acura TL with SH-AWD. I’ve never driven one, but it had decent power and that awd system sounding neat on paper.

2010-14 but the auto sucks and the :manuel: is rare as hell. Good car if you want a 4000 lb AWD sedan :doe:
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:20 pm
max225 wrote:
This one had a sticker of $56.3k, probably gave her ~$22k on trade I'd guess. That'd be $34k and change plus tax in 5.5 years.

Looks like S4s had some price creep as well. Most 15 models I was looking at were 60-62k MSRP.

56.3k- discunt +tax ~58k even.... 22k trade.... ~ 36k ~ $545 a month... which isn't bad, to be honest.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

troyguitar wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:04 pm I forget what year they stopped so maybe they are too old now, but when I was considering cars in the mid-20ks a few years ago, it seemed like a good deal was the Acura TL with SH-AWD. I’ve never driven one, but it had decent power and that awd system sounding neat on paper.

2010-14 but the auto sucks and the :manuel: is rare as hell. Good car if you want a 4000 lb AWD sedan :doe:
Porker for sure, but looking for a used awd large sedan, seems like a good option.

:therapist: