The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:35 pm My dad's best friend just bought an Outback. They drive places together all of the time and my dad has reported that the safety tech is ridiculously intrusive and :disgust: on the Subi, he hates the car. Funny thing is that dude loved my GTI and BMW when he saw them, :notsure: why he did a 180.
At least the shit can all be turned off, presumably save for radar cruise. I won't be getting one either way, though. 99% sure I'm just going to get a 14-17 Odyssey and be done with it. Only thing I'll have to figure out how to get rid of is that stupid LaneWatch bullshit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:35 pm My dad's best friend just bought an Outback. They drive places together all of the time and my dad has reported that the safety tech is ridiculously intrusive and :disgust: on the Subi, he hates the car. Funny thing is that dude loved my GTI and BMW when he saw them, :notsure: why he did a 180.
At least the shit can all be turned off, presumably save for radar cruise. I won't be getting one either way, though. 99% sure I'm just going to get a 14-17 Odyssey and be done with it. Only thing I'll have to figure out how to get rid of is that stupid LaneWatch bullshit.
You can turn it off. When I test drove an Si, I asked about that... they were :mindblown: and said I was the first person ever to not like it at the :dillerman: , but then they showed me how to turn it off and we carried on.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:31 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:49 pm

You can turn it off. When I test drove an Si, I asked about that... they were :mindblown: and said I was the first person ever to not like it at the :dillerman: , but then they showed me how to turn it off and we carried on.
Most people like it because they can keep texting without being bothered to drive. Hell, in a different thread Max and JP were extolling the virtues of advanced safety features. A lot of it is personal preference, but I think it entirely comes down to how attentive you are when driving.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Most people like it because they can keep texting without being bothered to drive. Hell, in a different thread Max and JP were extolling the virtues of advanced safety features. A lot of it is personal preference, but I think it entirely comes down to how attentive you are when driving.
Right. When you're busy reacting to what's around you and all of a sudden the car is flashing lights and sounding alarms, THAT is the distraction that takes my eyes off the road.

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My mom loves that shit on her impreza because it helps her derp from place to place and tells her to take a break after driving for a certain amount of time etc. MrH complains about it in his outback though too.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:07 am
My mom loves that shit on her impreza because it helps her derp from place to place and tells her to take a break after driving for a certain amount of time etc. MrH complains about it in his outback though too.
:wtf:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:50 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:07 am

Benz has been doing this since like 2010.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:50 pm

:fullretard:
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:58 pm

:fullretard:
Whatever. It’s easy to ignore. It just puts an icon of a coffee cup on your dash screen.
Johnny_P

Drove yesterday. Helped a friends dad move. Surprising number of manual V8 challengers in south jersey. Perfect car for down there. All the roads are straight and generally trashed, so comfy and fast are a good combo.
Johnny_P

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:01 am Drove yesterday. Helped a friends dad move. Surprising number of manual V8 challengers in south jersey. Perfect car for down there. All the roads are straight and generally trashed, so comfy and fast are a good combo.
Yep these things are everywhere and an absolute menace.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:46 am https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007- ... c-cts-v-6/

Do it coogles
ha would be fun, but 99% sure it’d be too small. 54” of hip room won’t allow the proper spacing for all 3 car seats.

The kids went back to school/daycare a few weeks ago and we’ve been doing fine with only one car capable of hauling all 3. Until my wife’s office opens back up - summer of 2021 at the earliest - we don’t need a second vehicle capable of taking all 3 and the GTI is likely to stick around.

I’m at 52k miles and it’s covered under the certified VW warranty until 60k, the thing is paid for, and the only thing as far as maintenance it should need before next summer is an oil change. Doesn’t make much sense to off the thing unless we’re just going down to one car.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I like it.
wap

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:40 am

I like it.
:butwhy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:46 am https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007- ... c-cts-v-6/

Do it coogles
:neat: but will probably go for $45k because it’s on BaT :disgust:

No deals to be had.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:43 am

Do it coogles
:neat: but will probably go for $45k because it’s on BaT :disgust:

No deals to be had.
This would be something to pick up at a Mecum auction where it is a trash car relative to everything else.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:23 am

Do it coogles
ha would be fun, but 99% sure it’d be too small. 54” of hip room won’t allow the proper spacing for all 3 car seats.

The kids went back to school/daycare a few weeks ago and we’ve been doing fine with only one car capable of hauling all 3. Until my wife’s office opens back up - summer of 2021 at the earliest - we don’t need a second vehicle capable of taking all 3 and the GTI is likely to stick around.

I’m at 52k miles and it’s covered under the certified VW warranty until 60k, the thing is paid for, and the only thing as far as maintenance it should need before next summer is an oil change. Doesn’t make much sense to off the thing unless we’re just going down to one car.
Overall, this seems rather :notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:23 am Overall, this seems rather :notbad:
100% fine with me, I love this car. Only negative is I had mod plans before I even signed the paperwork, and by next summer I'll be at 3 years of ownership (August) and will have done nothing but the bleeder block and clutch line. Good for my wallet, bad for my mod bug rash.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Took a long lunch break and just did some :stig: driving in the GTI on what is the nicest day we'll probably have for quite awhile. 80* and absolutely perfect outside in late October, crazy shit. Hadn't driven the thing in nearly a week just because I have absolutely no reason to, but man it was nice. Felt so strange to be back in a little car with a :manuel: after driving nothing but the Atlas for a week. What great little cars these things are.
wap

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:51 pm Took a long lunch break and just did some :stig: driving in the GTI on what is the nicest day we'll probably have for quite awhile. 80* and absolutely perfect outside in late October, crazy shit. Hadn't driven the thing in nearly a week just because I have absolutely no reason to, but man it was nice. Felt so strange to be back in a little car with a :manuel: after driving nothing but the Atlas for a week. What great little cars these things are.
:megusta:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Nothing major to report here, the GTI is still chilling in the garage. The Atlas has been handling :baby: :baby: :baby: duty admirably and we haven't had a need for a second car to manage hauling duties. There have definitely been times where it's been useful to have two cars, though, so although it was tempting to take advantage of those crazy high Carvana offers back in August/September it's been nice to have the MK7 around. Plus I still just really enjoy driving the thing - it's a great change of pace from being in the Atlas every day. Instantly familiar, but sharper and more engaging without beating me up. Just the perfect daily IMO if you don't need something bigger.

My employer has basically given up on bringing people back to the office full time, and my wife's company has said they don't expect to bring the first wave of workers back to the office until September, so I don't see a need for a :minivan: in the foreseeable future. The trip up to Fort Wayne for Christmas was tough with all 3 kids, our two dogs, all of the :baby: shit, plus presents a week's worth of clothes and such, but although the Atlas was stuffed to the gills, we made it work. We'll definitely need something bigger for road trips as a family eventually, but I think we're probably okay for the time being. That has me thinking of dropping small amounts of money on the GTI for some minor tweaks to make it a bit more fun. Factory airbox mods to bring on some turbo noises and hopefully get the turbo to spool a bit quicker, a short shifter, maybe a Clubsport muffler for the braaaaps. No tune so I don't have to worry about frying the clutch, but just some relatively cheap basics to bring up the enjoyment level a little bit. I swore up and down after waiting nearly 4 years to tune my MK6 that I wouldn't drive this car stock for very long, but now I've had it for 2.5 years and haven't done a damn thing. :disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:44 am Nothing major to report here, the GTI is still chilling in the garage. The Atlas has been handling :baby: :baby: :baby: duty admirably and we haven't had a need for a second car to manage hauling duties. There have definitely been times where it's been useful to have two cars, though, so although it was tempting to take advantage of those crazy high Carvana offers back in August/September it's been nice to have the MK7 around. Plus I still just really enjoy driving the thing - it's a great change of pace from being in the Atlas every day. Instantly familiar, but sharper and more engaging without beating me up. Just the perfect daily IMO if you don't need something bigger.

My employer has basically given up on bringing people back to the office full time, and my wife's company has said they don't expect to bring the first wave of workers back to the office until September, so I don't see a need for a :minivan: in the foreseeable future. The trip up to Fort Wayne for Christmas was tough with all 3 kids, our two dogs, all of the :baby: shit, plus presents a week's worth of clothes and such, but although the Atlas was stuffed to the gills, we made it work. We'll definitely need something bigger for road trips as a family eventually, but I think we're probably okay for the time being. That has me thinking of dropping small amounts of money on the GTI for some minor tweaks to make it a bit more fun. Factory airbox mods to bring on some turbo noises and hopefully get the turbo to spool a bit quicker, a short shifter, maybe a Clubsport muffler for the braaaaps. No tune so I don't have to worry about frying the clutch, but just some relatively cheap basics to bring up the enjoyment level a little bit. I swore up and down after waiting nearly 4 years to tune my MK6 that I wouldn't drive this car stock for very long, but now I've had it for 2.5 years and haven't done a damn thing. :disappoint:
The sound mods are worth it, man. I loved my Borlas on the BMW (which is basically a GTI with a trunk). Exhaust and seat have been my favorite mods on the :poorvette: as well (seat isn't needed in a GTI obviously). I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the car. They really are one of the best dailies. MK7 has dece powah stock, I think you're right on the money with improving sound and shifting.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:36 pm The sound mods are worth it, man. I loved my Borlas on the BMW (which is basically a GTI with a trunk). Exhaust and seat have been my favorite mods on the :poorvette: as well (seat isn't needed in a GTI obviously). I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the car. They really are one of the best dailies. MK7 has dece powah stock, I think you're right on the money with improving sound and shifting.
Thanks, I think so too. All of those mods are easy to install and remove too, so if I do end up selling the car at some point I'd be able to get at least a portion of what I'd spend back. If I do a tune and :nuke: the clutch, that's $1,500 lit on fire.
ChrisoftheNorth

Can you actually improve turbro sound on a GTI? That was my biggest complaint with mine, and I thought I recall there being something about the DV valve design or something that specifically eliminated turbro sounds and made it difficult to get them back?