Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Ask Z
:dat:

Chinese mufflers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thing is. I'm pretty sure they're all doing something like that.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

An EJ *not* trying to :nuke: itself?

:mindblown:

A TBN of 2.8 at 3k doesn't make me want to take this out to 6k miles, doe.

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:09 pm An EJ *not* trying to :nuke: itself?

Why not tho...
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:48 pm Why not tho...
A TBN of 2.8 is pretty low to go another 3k miles. It started at 6.0, and while I know TBN depletion isn't linear, I'm not willing to jump to 6k miles from 3k given a drop like that in such a short amount of time.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:33 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:48 pm Why not tho...
A TBN of 2.8 is pretty low to go another 3k miles. It started at 6.0, and while I know TBN depletion isn't linear, I'm not willing to jump to 6k miles from 3k given a drop like that in such a short amount of time.
Maybe go 4500 then 6000?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:34 pm Maybe go 4500 then 6000?
Certainly could, but I prefer to stay on the factory maintenance schedule for everything, which is 6k miles. Halving the interval lets me do that, but I'm throwing away money. This interval is my last jug of Motul, I think I'm going to switch to another brand with an A3 / B4 certification and a more robust additive package to see if I can get something else to go the full 6k.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:11 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:34 pm Maybe go 4500 then 6000?
Certainly could, but I prefer to stay on the factory maintenance schedule for everything, which is 6k miles. Halving the interval lets me do that, but I'm throwing away money. This interval is my last jug of Motul, I think I'm going to switch to another brand with an A3 / B4 certification and a more robust additive package to see if I can get something else to go the full 6k.
Outside of the TBN everything else including the person reviewing the file told you 6k is fine :doe: so why not?

I'd watch that copper :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:14 pm Outside of the TBN everything else including the person reviewing the file told you 6k is fine :doe: so why not?

I'd watch that copper :doe:
Oil cooler, probably.

Should come down, but we'll see.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:09 pm An EJ *not* trying to :nuke: itself?

The internet told me your ring lands will be ded by next year doe.

Fake news. Like I said these engines are rather sorted at this point. Other than throttle tuning.

Also. TIL your name is Adam :hai:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:39 am The internet told me your ring lands will be ded by next year doe.

Fake news. Like I said these engines are rather sorted at this point. Other than throttle tuning.

:howdy:

I do think I'm going to switch to this oil at 12k - http://rotella.shell.com/products/full- ... -duty.html

Similar profile as the Motul I'm running as far as being a thicker 5w30, but much higher starting TBN. Should be plenty capable of doing 6k in these cars.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:44 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:39 am The internet told me your ring lands will be ded by next year doe.

:howdy:

I do think I'm going to switch to this oil at 12k - http://rotella.shell.com/products/full- ... -duty.html

Similar profile as the Motul I'm running as far as being a thicker 5w30, but much higher starting TBN. Should be plenty capable of doing 6k in these cars.
ytho
I aint care, I'll keep using sub par Subaru oil that I can get at their fast lane :dillerman: shop in an hour and $50.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:15 am ytho
I aint care, I'll keep using sub par Subaru oil that I can get at their fast lane :dillerman: shop in an hour and $50.
ymmv, but I buy into some of the idea the the Subaru 5w30 (and other SN/GF-5 resource conserving oils) aren't robust enough for this motor. In all of the UOAs I've seen it shears down to a 20 weight pretty much instantly, and with the history in these cars of bearing failure, I'll take the extra insurance of using a thicker oil.

I'm also not going back to the dealership barring warranty work. Last time in they took my car for a "test drive" after my oil change for no got damn reason, without asking me first. Service advisor looked super confused when I asked him why my car was taken out, then when I got my survey I raged about it and got a follow-up e-mail from the department manager. She spewed some crap about how it's totally normal when the car hasn't been seen in awhile and that there must have been an error on the intake paperwork because they wouldn't have put 4 miles on the car.

One, my car was in at 6k for an oil change, 7k for the rear deck lid TSB, 8k to have my TPMS sensors synced, then again at 9k for this last oil change. The first reason is bullshit. And they did in fact put 4 miles on the car, I always note my mileage when I drop it off somewhere and the intake paperwork matches what I took down.

So yeah, fuck them. Great buying experience, but I'll never go back for service work and told them as much.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:31 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:15 am ytho
ymmv, but I buy into some of the idea the the Subaru 5w30 (and other SN/GF-5 resource conserving oils) aren't robust enough for this motor. In all of the UOAs I've seen it shears down to a 20 weight pretty much instantly, and with the history in these cars of bearing failure, I'll take the extra insurance of using a thicker oil.

I'm also not going back to the dealership barring warranty work. Last time in they took my car for a "test drive" after my oil change for no got damn reason, without asking me first. Service advisor looked super confused when I asked him why my car was taken out, then when I got my survey I raged about it and got a follow-up e-mail from the department manager. She spewed some crap about how it's totally normal when the car hasn't been seen in awhile and that there must have been an error on the intake paperwork because they wouldn't have put 4 miles on the car.

One, my car was in at 6k for an oil change, 7k for the rear deck lid TSB, 8k to have my TPMS sensors synced, then again at 9k for this last oil change. The first reason is bullshit. And they did in fact put 4 miles on the car, I always note my mileage when I drop it off somewhere and the intake paperwork matches what I took down.

So yeah, fuck them. Great buying experience, but I'll never go back for service work and told them as much.
I still gotta get the deck lid done. Yeah oil change should only have 1 mile or so, just enough to move it around their lot and into the shop.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost ... count=1361
Sunroof rails creaking.

I can't freaking take it any more - it's going back to the stealership to have them try and fix it again. It was in last year and they pulled the headliner out, tweaked something, and made it 50% better. But now the sound is back in full force. God, I wish this car didn't have a sunroof.

And it's NOT the sunroof, or any of the seals that are making this sound. The sound is coming from the rails/mechanism that's under the headliner in the rear of the car, over the rear seats & hatch.
:triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
:triggered: :hellno: :triggered:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:09 pm https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost ... count=1361
Sunroof rails creaking.

I can't freaking take it any more - it's going back to the stealership to have them try and fix it again. It was in last year and they pulled the headliner out, tweaked something, and made it 50% better. But now the sound is back in full force. God, I wish this car didn't have a sunroof.

And it's NOT the sunroof, or any of the seals that are making this sound. The sound is coming from the rails/mechanism that's under the headliner in the rear of the car, over the rear seats & hatch.
:triggered: :hellno: :triggered:
Hah. Gay.
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 2017 Subaru STi / Vapemachine

I love my Greddy exhaust. A few DFD'ers have ridden and/or driven my car as well. No drone.
I like rumbles, vape juice and mudflaps :gay:

Need Modz? Hit me up!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KiaGiver wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:30 pm I love my Greddy exhaust. A few DFD'ers have ridden and/or driven my car as well. No drone.
Sounds pretty quiet, especially considering it doesn't have a resonator. Are you still running the stock downpipe?
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:31 pm
KiaGiver wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:30 pm I love my Greddy exhaust. A few DFD'ers have ridden and/or driven my car as well. No drone.
Sounds pretty quiet, especially considering it doesn't have a resonator. Are you still running the stock downpipe?
Nah I’m running a Cobb catted downpipe now along with a Cobb intake and a bigger Processwest top mount inter cooler.

I love the sounds. Just a tiny bit of drone at 82mph

Need Modz? Hit me up!
Johnny_P

KiaGiver wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:19 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:31 pm

Nah I’m running a Cobb catted downpipe now along with a Cobb intake and a bigger Processwest top mount inter cooler.

How much power you making now? Ever get it dyno’d?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:51 am

:dat:

Also, in4soundclip.
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Yeah, I got a Protune from Dynocomp in Scottsdale. I'm making 295 AWHP and 315tq @ 18lbs of boost on a Dyno Dynamics dynamometer. I had the tuner dial it in reallllll conservative to keep my block safe at the 18lbs of boost. 20lbs of boost is easy for this stock turbo, but I'm never going to need it.

Need Modz? Hit me up!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KiaGiver wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm Yeah, I got a Protune from Dynocomp in Scottsdale. I'm making 295 AWHP and 315tq @ 18lbs of boost on a Dyno Dynamics dynamometer. I had the tuner dial it in reallllll conservative to keep my block safe at the 18lbs of boost. 20lbs of boost is easy for this stock turbo, but I'm never going to need it.
:jelly:

Would love to get my STi to that point. Any other supporting mods? EBCS? Stumble fix? Pump or injectors?
Johnny_P

KiaGiver wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm
Yeah, I got a Protune from Dynocomp in Scottsdale. I'm making 295 AWHP and 315tq @ 18lbs of boost on a Dyno Dynamics dynamometer. I had the tuner dial it in reallllll conservative to keep my block safe at the 18lbs of boost. 20lbs of boost is easy for this stock turbo, but I'm never going to need it.
300 WHP is where I'd love to take my car. Downpipe, exhaust, intake, and flatbrim-spec Bro tune should get it there.

I guess it's safe to say it feels stronger than stock?
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:05 pm
KiaGiver wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm Yeah, I got a Protune from Dynocomp in Scottsdale. I'm making 295 AWHP and 315tq @ 18lbs of boost on a Dyno Dynamics dynamometer. I had the tuner dial it in reallllll conservative to keep my block safe at the 18lbs of boost. 20lbs of boost is easy for this stock turbo, but I'm never going to need it.
:jelly:

Would love to get my STi to that point. Any other supporting mods? EBCS? Stumble fix? Pump or injectors?
Nah. Because of the conservative tune and boost cut off, I won't need any of that. I've been monitoring my knock sensors with the accessport and I've never got over -2.8 on either for more than a split second according to my logs so I'm still well within range (I hear consistent -5's are the devil lol).

Need Modz? Hit me up!
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:36 pm
KiaGiver wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm

300 WHP is where I'd love to take my car. Downpipe, exhaust, intake, and flatbrim-spec Bro tune should get it there.

I guess it's safe to say it feels stronger than stock?
Very much so. It pulls much much harder than when I had the car stock.

Need Modz? Hit me up!