Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:19 pm
Yep, I suspect this is the solution.
Well, no. You have to be able to take the car on road trips.
Nah, we drive the Volt or :truk: NBD

I'm not going to drive myself crazy trying to solve it. Nobody will buy the car in it's current state without a significant discount, so it's just not worth the hassle since I still love it.

My last ditch effort will be to swap the aftermarket poly diff mount with the loose factory rubber stock one. I've read of some people having similar issues as me due to poly diff mounts. Basically, the clutch is just barely out of balance enough to create a crazy harmonic with hard mounts, but not enough to really vibrate. The rubber mount can dampen the harmonic. It'll take me 20 minutes to swap. If it works then :fuckyeah: if not, then :aintcare:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Well, no. You have to be able to take the car on road trips.
Yeah but it’s something he can solve over time instead of going :fullretard: and :nuke: the car.
Also this. But I just want to enjoy it for a while and not wrench all the time.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:13 pm
Get this sorted and you'll pretty much have touched it all. :ohmy:
I already have touched every single part of the car. I'm retouching at this point, which I shouldn't have to do. Makes me :rage:

Hopefully the mount fixes it and I can be done. Won't be great for the track, but let's face it, I'm not going to the track anyway.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:30 pm
I already have touched every single part of the car. I'm retouching at this point, which I shouldn't have to do. Makes me :rage:

Hopefully the mount fixes it and I can be done. Won't be great for the track, but let's face it, I'm not going to the track anyway.
I still think you'll need to rebalance the clutch.

Didn't we discuss the need for that before? Is this something you :scrooge: 'd on, or did the guy balance it?
I didn't :scrooge: on any aspect of the build. I had it balanced. The debate was how necessary it was because of how hard it was to find a shop to do it.

The problem was/is, nowhere does it. I had to go to this old dude in the middle of nowhere with a barn for a shop that builds race engines. I told him what needed to be done and he seemed to understand, but he said it was a weird request (make the new clutch identical in out of balance to the old), so I'm not 100% sure it was done right.

The thing is, if it's out of balance, it's just barely. Again, I can't feel any vibration. It's all a harmonic booming that I can kind of feel in the seat. I've found a number of threads in the gold chainz forum complaining about the exact same thing when installing a poly diff mount. It's just not complaint enough to dampen anything that isn't perfect since the torque tube somewhat amplifies unbalance. When a clutch is out of balance, people complain about bad vibration, which I don't have.

There's also reports of people balancing the clutch with washers under the pressure place bolts. If the mount fixes it, I'll probably make that a winter project to fix it entirely. Shouldn't take much to fix the balance, just time that I don't have right meow.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:42 pm
I didn't :scrooge: on any aspect of the build. I had it balanced. The debate was how necessary it was because of how hard it was to find a shop to do it.

The problem was/is, nowhere does it. I had to go to this old dude in the middle of nowhere with a barn for a shop that builds race engines. I told him what needed to be done and he seemed to understand, but he said it was a weird request (make the new clutch identical in out of balance to the old), so I'm not 100% sure it was done right.

The thing is, if it's out of balance, it's just barely. Again, I can't feel any vibration. It's all a harmonic booming that I can kind of feel in the seat. I've found a number of threads in the gold chainz forum complaining about the exact same thing when installing a poly diff mount. It's just not complaint enough to dampen anything that isn't perfect since the torque tube somewhat amplifies unbalance. When a clutch is out of balance, people complain about bad vibration, which I don't have.

There's also reports of people balancing the clutch with washers under the pressure place bolts. If the mount fixes it, I'll probably make that a winter project to fix it entirely. Shouldn't take much to fix the balance, just time that I don't have right meow.
Ah, right.

Well, hopefully the poly mount elimination reduces or eliminates the issue.

Just surprised that you had Smokey Yunick's Mitten-brained cousin balance the clutch and an issue still cropped up.

I mean, if you're taking long trips in the car, I'd just take the poly mount out anyway and :burnout: and :aintcare:
:lol:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Ah, right.

Well, hopefully the poly mount elimination reduces or eliminates the issue.

Just surprised that you had Smokey Yunick's Mitten-brained cousin balance the clutch and an issue still cropped up.

I mean, if you're taking long trips in the car, I'd just take the poly mount out anyway and :burnout: and :aintcare:
Well, that's the thing...maybe we just won't take it on long trips anymore, which is even more :aintcare:

The poly mount is great for mitigating wheel hop and making power delivery more immediate. For bruising the streets, it works fine.

Still going to swap it out just to see what happens. It's a simple job on the lift.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 am Image

:jimp:
I like those wheels. Car looks good.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Imagine if it were orange. :jimp:
ChrisoftheNorth

Honestly, C5Z06 wheels (these) are some of my favorite production wheels ever. I CQuartzed them before putting them on this season, and the shine is legit :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Too bad changing the color on a car is :fullretard: cost.
ChrisoftheNorth

Diff mount did it. The harmonic/rumble is 95% gone. There's still a tiny bit at 2k, but it's gone everywhere else. That means my clutch is just so ever slightly out of balance, something I can handle with washers as a winter project. Holy hell is the car more pleasurable to drive now. Incredible that something so simple could make such a difference.

:mindblown: :fuckyeah: :poorvette:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Noice!
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:like: :fuckyeah: :like:

Totally agreed on the pleasure portion.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:59 pm :like: :fuckyeah: :like:

He fixed a rattle, he didn't visit a rub and tug.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Too bad changing the color on a car is :fullretard: cost.
I hear you might want a paint jerb?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Yeah but it’s something he can solve over time instead of going :fullretard: and :nuke: the car.
until your airbags pop.

:nuke:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:42 pm Diff mount did it. The harmonic/rumble is 95% gone. There's still a tiny bit at 2k, but it's gone everywhere else. That means my clutch is just so ever slightly out of balance, something I can handle with washers as a winter project. Holy hell is the car more pleasurable to drive now. Incredible that something so simple could make such a difference.

Nice.

My diff still whines, and my car leaks oil. :sad:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

or purple.

:poorvette:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:59 pm :like: :fuckyeah: :like:

He fixed a rattle, he didn't visit a rub and tug.
I'm sure he'd rather spend the money on car parts.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:16 pm

or purple.

:poorvette:
That problem can be solved with just a race track and a wall, doe
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:42 pm Diff mount did it. The harmonic/rumble is 95% gone. There's still a tiny bit at 2k, but it's gone everywhere else. That means my clutch is just so ever slightly out of balance, something I can handle with washers as a winter project. Holy hell is the car more pleasurable to drive now. Incredible that something so simple could make such a difference.

Sweeeeet
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:15 pm
until your airbags pop.

:nuke:
:wat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Nice.

My diff still whines, and my car leaks oil. :sad:
My diff whines between 75 and 85 at part throttle.

No leaks anywhere, doe.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:45 pm

:fuckyeah:

:plac: :nuke: averted.
Oh, big time. I cruised around for a bit just to see if it's solved, and my god is it better. Incredible what a difference something so seeming small can make.