Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:26 pm On this subject, curious what y'all think when it comes to this real estate question:

Better to stretch and buy the best place you can to generate more revenue (5% annually on $300K < 5% annually on $400k) or purchase a lesser piece of property to save more cash in the future?
Generate more revenue? You renting out this place? :confused:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

:well:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:38 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:26 pm On this subject, curious what y'all think when it comes to this real estate question:

Better to stretch and buy the best place you can to generate more revenue (5% annually on $300K < 5% annually on $400k) or purchase a lesser piece of property to save more cash in the future?
Generate more revenue? You renting out this place? :confused:
I think this may just mean average real estate appreciation.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:38 am I think this may just mean average real estate appreciation.
Ah I see, the assumption is 5% of appreciation every year. Man, given the current environment, that's one hell of a stretch. The current economic expansion is in its 10th year, which is already THE longest on record in this country. If anything, I'd be thankful if a house I bought now was worth equal money in five years.

Oh, and home equity has 0% ROI. I get wanting to be debt free, but from a net worth perspective it doesn't make much sense unless the interest rate on your mortgage is higher than you can get investing elsewhere.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

houses

do

not

appreciate

on

long

timescales
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:53 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:44 pm

Been fighting to get a promotion I have been promised 7 months ago... until this very day... HR/CFO etc all involved in some stupid shit that was "forgotten" and now everyone is "giving me favors" :Disgust: :wtf: i'd :nope: out at the first chance i could get.
Fuckery is real. Having a house paid off reducing the dependence on significantly gainful employment is really appealing.
:dat:

we are going to prioritize this in the next 3 years. Working to pay off :haus: will have ~$190k left on loan in 3 years time. I think wife's car note money will transition to :haus: note money.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:26 am Image

fuuuuuuu dats hot. :megusta:

#thisiswhyiampoor
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:23 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Wow that IS unfortunate. As noted, no call for seppuku doe.
Had to Google that one :themoreyouknow:
:lolol: such honor :doe:

i wouldnt sweat that stuff mang. Poor timing is what it is. I need to consolidate as well but fear your EXACT situation. I expected a larger market dip but havent moved anything just yet. I would have been hit the exact way you were in timing had I moved when I was going to.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:28 pm Man if I don't get my truck fixed your Volt might be a good replacement....
It's a great car. I don't really want to get rid of it, but I also don't want to drive it every day.

I'd sell it to a DFD member for trade-in value, probably $11-13k.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 am

#thisiswhyiampoor
This and the mojito green *bites lip* :datass:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:46 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:38 am I think this may just mean average real estate appreciation.
Ah I see, the assumption is 5% of appreciation every year. Man, given the current environment, that's one hell of a stretch. The current economic expansion is in its 10th year, which is already THE longest on record in this country. If anything, I'd be thankful if a house I bought now was worth equal money in five years.

Oh, and home equity has 0% ROI. I get wanting to be debt free, but from a net worth perspective it doesn't make much sense unless the interest rate on your mortgage is higher than you can get investing elsewhere.
I'm at 4.75% interest...somewhat high. I'd rather pay it off...my cash is "only" making me 2.2% ATM.

The bigger thing isn't so much about ROI as it is freedom. I don't want to worry about losing my house or whatever when I lose my job OR if I just want to fuck off and work at Ace Hardware part time for a while and travel. We're never having kids, I don't need to work a fancy job forever to make a bunch of money to pay for their shit. I just need to enjoy my life with my wife, and owning the house outright would be huge for that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

:jimp:

I'd probably realistically get a 4-door so I can tow the glamper occasionally and have extra room for people/stuff.

https://www.orchardchryslerdodgejeep.co ... G4JW234298

This thing is perfect. I'm going to watch :dill: s closely. End of month/quarter/half is coming up along with 4th of July. If I could pick this up for low $30k, it's happening.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:28 pm Man if I don't get my truck fixed your Volt might be a good replacement....
It's a great car. I don't really want to get rid of it, but I also don't want to drive it every day.

I'd sell it to a DFD member for trade-in value, probably $11-13k.
:nice:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 am

houses

do

not

appreciate

on

long

timescales
This is absolutely correct. Viewing a house as an "investment" isn't really the right strategy long-term. It's about financial freedom...and paying off early reduces lighting money on fire in interest.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:22 am

I'd probably realistically get a 4-door so I can tow the glamper occasionally and have extra room for people/stuff.

This thing is perfect. I'm going to watch :dill: s closely. End of month/quarter/half is coming up along with 4th of July. If I could pick this up for low $30k, it's happening.
That's a nice spec!
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:18 am

#thisiswhyiampoor
https://www.orchardchryslerdodgejeep.co ... g9jw284918

Lack of cold weather pack is making this one sit. It's pretty perfect if I want a Rubicon...and I may if the :dill: is right.

Lack of cold weather pack would also guarantee the wife never wanting to drive it. Would be ALL MINE

This dealer has 2 extremely tempting vehicles. Might need to head up there and use my "presence as leverage" to see what :dill: s are possible.
max225

Oh wow that’s the perfect sport s spec ! Exactly the one I was talking about in the other thread... I’d be curious where the saleathon will take these... I still think 41k is about 10k too high for one of these. And a 2 model year old one should be at most that.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:26 am

Oh wow that’s the perfect sport s spec ! Exactly the one I was talking about in the other thread... I’d be curious where the saleathon will take these... I still think 41k is about 10k too high for one of these. And a 2 model year old one should be at most that.
It is EXACTLY how I'd order a Sport S if I was doing so...except the tow pack, which I can easily add myself for a few hundo (did it on my JK).

I'm keeping a close eye on :dill: s
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:30 am

It is EXACTLY how I'd order a Sport S if I was doing so...except the tow pack, which I can easily add myself for a few hundo (did it on my JK).

You’re saying to pack adds nothing ? I was curious if it adds more cooling and a tow haul mode or something
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:26 am

Lack of cold weather pack is making this one sit. It's pretty perfect if I want a Rubicon...and I may if the :dill: is right.

Lack of cold weather pack would also guarantee the wife never wanting to drive it. Would be ALL MINE

This dealer has 2 extremely tempting vehicles. Might need to head up there and use my "presence as leverage" to see what :dill: s are possible.
Any dealer can install heated seats for you for a few hundo. Lisa had heated seats installed for free on her tiguan by the dealership.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:31 am

You’re saying to pack adds nothing ? I was curious if it adds more cooling and a tow haul mode or something
Not that I can tell. It's just wiring and the hitch and the aux switches inside (which I'd use, but whatever). JL's can "only" tow 3k lbs with the tow pack, so it doesn't do much. Glamper is 2k lbs and I don't have to worry about mountains here, so it's NBD.
Johnny_P

So head down to your local CDJR dealer for a hot dog, plate of bbq chips, a soda, and a nice discussion on what monthly payment it would take to get you in that vehicle today! No reasonable offer refused.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:32 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:26 am

Any dealer can install heated seats for you for a few hundo. Lisa had heated seats installed for free on her tiguan by the dealership.
:bruh:

It's not the heated seats that got me into this mess, it's the fucking heated god damned mother fucking steering wheel. Those are nearly impossible to add after the fact.

I DGAF about that shit...so the good news is it would keep the wife from driving it. But I also don't know what other torpedos could come as a result. It's realistic that that truck could be had for will into the $30k range, a good deal for a Rubicon...but then if I decide to sell it, the lack of cold weather pack in MI might be seriously detrimental.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

#thisiswhyiampoor
:evilplan: :fap: :evilplan:
max225

But can you get a heated wheel on the JL?