Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:10 pm Wellll the day of reckoning is fast approaching for me. I'm being directed to order a replacement for my Gladiator "soon".

I asked for a buy-out, and at 15k miles they want $45k for it. Um...I can buy the same truck brand new for that price with my employee discount. There's no negotiating, they claim they can send it off to auction and get that price. :notsure: when Carvana offered $41k for it, but I think buying my truck is out of the question unfortunately.

So what do I do?

I really get a ton of use out of a truck bed...especially with the impending :pinshit: of the new place. I'd actually like a larger bed, but have zero interest in a massive truck like a Ram...just don't want it. So for me personally, I'm between nutting up for a Gladiator of some sort, just ordering another lease (I'll get to that in a moment), OR an extended Cab ZR2 to get the larger bed like...

https://www.serrachevroletakron.com/Veh ... 7833#close

The next twist is Carvana offered $38k for our JL. We paid $40k for it a year ago. We could do a corporate lease on an identical JL replacement for $100 less than a Gladiator Rubicon, and "only lose" $3k on the JL ($2k depreciation plus $1k sales tax). Then the ZR2 above would be under $38k (I can still get homie hookups from GM peeps). The ZR2 would be my wheeling and utility rig, while we'd pile miles on the JL lease since they're unlimited. :tits: was surprisingly open to the idea because she can order the JL exactly how she wants.

A twisted web that I don't really want to be involved in. I was really hoping the buyout on my truck would be about the Carvana quote so I could just buy it and be done. But damn...that extra ~$5k for nothing is a tough one.
I know this is like asking someone "why don't you like beets?" when they fucking hate beets, but man Traverse City seems like an ideal place to have a full size CCSB.
Last weekend a buddy that works for GM came up to check out the place and hang out. He drove up in his brand new Silverado CCSB. Curious to get my take on it, he suggested I drive it as we went around the peninsula checking stuff out.

The thing is just beyond massive. I had difficulty just navigating tight winery and brewery parking lots because the hood is so massive it's hard to gauge where anything is. The back seat was like a limo, completely wasted for me. He said he likes being able to carry his bike in the back seat, which I kind of get but...wow so much unnecessary space. It's nice and quiet and drives well, but I just really did not enjoy piloting that thing around. I know that's a Silverado and not a Ram, and maybe I should just do a year in a Ram to experience it, but then I lose my ability to off-road (which there's tons of that up here but trails are tight), and I'm just overall meh on it.

The Gladiator is my favorite vehicle ever, but the :scrooge: in me is too strong.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:26 pm

I know this is like asking someone "why don't you like beets?" when they fucking hate beets, but man Traverse City seems like an ideal place to have a full size CCSB.
Last weekend a buddy that works for GM came up to check out the place and hang out. He drove up in his brand new Silverado CCSB. Curious to get my take on it, he suggested I drive it as we went around the peninsula checking stuff out.

The thing is just beyond massive. I had difficulty just navigating tight winery and brewery parking lots because the hood is so massive it's hard to gauge where anything is. The back seat was like a limo, completely wasted for me. He said he likes being able to carry his bike in the back seat, which I kind of get but...wow so much unnecessary space. It's nice and quiet and drives well, but I just really did not enjoy piloting that thing around. I know that's a Silverado and not a Ram, and maybe I should just do a year in a Ram to experience it, but then I lose my ability to off-road (which there's tons of that up here but trails are tight), and I'm just overall meh on it.

The Gladiator is my favorite vehicle ever, but the :scrooge: in me is too strong.
The T1 is growing on me looks wise. Particularly the Sierra Denali.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Colorado’s are clearly giant flaming piles of bovine feces.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Man, you've been :fap: ping about your Gladiator for like forever and if you don't figure out some way to either keep yours or get another you'll be nothing but :| :( :rage: with anything else you get in its place. You're already saving massively with your lifestyle reboot up in TC. Get/keep the :jeep: :truk: that you already know will make/keep you happy.

Can't remove roof and doors and go wheeling in a ZR2. Just sayin'
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:43 pm Man, you've been :fap: ping about your Gladiator for like forever and if you don't figure out some way to either keep yours or get another you'll be nothing but :| :( :rage: with anything else you get in its place. You're already saving massively with your lifestyle reboot up in TC. Get/keep the :jeep: :truk: that you already know will make/keep you happy.

:like: :dat:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:I can buy the same truck brand new for that price with my employee discount.
...so do that.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

If this is the big jump in terms of life moves you might as well get the car/truck you want and drive off into the sunset.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:01 pm
Detroit wrote:I can buy the same truck brand new for that price with my employee discount.
...so do that.
I'm having difficulty spending more than $40k on a vehicle...any vehicle.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:35 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:01 pm

...so do that.
There is nothing used that’s worth a damn. Especially in interesting 4x4 trim.

You can get someone’s else’s 200k mile worn down to a nub pile for $10k doe. 1” layer of filth on every surface and a I know what I have” mentality to boot.

Mental monetary thresholds need to be viewed with a grain a salt and inflation in mind.

$29995 doesn’t have the same purchasing power today as in 2010 let alone 1990
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:50 pm
There is nothing used that’s worth a damn. Especially in interesting 4x4 trim.

You can get someone’s else’s 200k mile worn down to a nub pile for $10k doe. 1” layer of filth on every surface and a I know what I have” mentality to boot.

Mental monetary thresholds need to be viewed with a grain a salt and inflation in mind.

$29995 doesn’t have the same purchasing power today as in 2010 let alone 1990
:notwrong:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Could you lease another JT and see if the used car market goes back to normal by the time it ends next year, then potentially buy that one out?

Edit: The colors suck damn
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:20 pm
I still have a mental block over $30k.

I understand buying power has decreased but it's still a budget line I don't want to move.

That being said, the used market is super dumb, and a $45k buyout on your current one is :fullretard:

I'd buy a new one with an employee discount and :aintcare: into the sunset Dplac. Start the clock over on miles and depreciation.

ZR2s are cool, but like our resident wet ass patriarch said, you can't remove the doors and roof. I still want one, :doe:
:hai:
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:09 pm Could you lease another JT and see if the used car market goes back to normal by the time it ends next year, then potentially buy that one out?

Edit: The colors suck damn
I'm oddly hung up on color. I absolutely love the orange on my current truck.
ChrisoftheNorth

I understand buying power has decreased but it's still a budget line I don't want to move.

That being said, the used market is super dumb, and a $45k buyout on your current one is :fullretard:

I'd buy a new one with an employee discount and :aintcare: into the sunset Dplac. Start the clock over on miles and depreciation.

ZR2s are cool, but like our resident wet ass patriarch said, you can't remove the doors and roof. I still want one, :doe:
I'm intrigued by the ZR2 because I could get a larger bed and I really enjoy how well they drive. Yea, the doors and roof don't come off, and that makes me :| but we'll always have a JL or something open air around that might fix that. need.

The market makes zero sense. From my research, $45k makes my truck the cheapest Rubicon that I can find new or used within 250 miles of Detroit. I can't find low spec Rubicons like mine anymore, they all seem to start in the mid-$50k range which makes my price ~$50k. I'm trying to reduce costs, not increase them.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:37 am

I'm intrigued by the ZR2 because I could get a larger bed and I really enjoy how well they drive. Yea, the doors and roof don't come off, and that makes me :| but we'll always have a JL or something open air around that might fix that. need.

The market makes zero sense. From my research, $45k makes my truck the cheapest Rubicon that I can find new or used within 250 miles of Detroit. I can't find low spec Rubicons like mine anymore, they all seem to start in the mid-$50k range which makes my price ~$50k. I'm trying to reduce costs, not increase them.
FCA lets order :doe: why is that not an option ?
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:37 am

FCA lets order :doe: why is that not an option ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:43 pm Man, you've been :fap: ping about your Gladiator for like forever and if you don't figure out some way to either keep yours or get another you'll be nothing but :| :( :rage: with anything else you get in its place. You're already saving massively with your lifestyle reboot up in TC. Get/keep the :jeep: :truk: that you already know will make/keep you happy.

:dat:

It seems like anything else is just taking an intentional dive into the :plac: cycle. I also don't really see the point in offing the JL and leasing the same thing... I have a hard time believing that is a money saver in the long run, but I could be :wrong: I have to say I was rather shocked Carvana is willing to give us less than $1K less for our JLU than new after over 5k miles.

The color thing really throws a wrench in the works. I think I would just buy your current truck and not worry about the price.That is still cheaper than :plac:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Firecracker Red and Hydro Bloo are :nice: on the new new.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, I honestly was hoping to just buy my Orange truck and be done with this. I have so little interest in dealing with car shit right now.

But there is a Hydro Blue truck spec'd just like mine at a dealer downstate, maybe I should try to get a price on it. In reality, I'm just going to keep my truck until they force me to trade it for something else.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:15 pm Yea, I honestly was hoping to just buy my Orange truck and be done with this. I have so little interest in dealing with car shit right now.

But there is a Hydro Blue truck spec'd just like mine at a dealer downstate, maybe I should try to get a price on it. In reality, I'm just going to keep my truck until they force me to trade it for something else.
You could get a :manuel: soft top :popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:15 pm Yea, I honestly was hoping to just buy my Orange truck and be done with this. I have so little interest in dealing with car shit right now.

Man, I so wish I could. :manuel: just sucks in the truck, and wife HATES the soft top on the :truk: But it would be cheap...

If I didn't get so much use out of the :truk: I'd go buy or lease a base 2-door JL :manuel: to tool around in. Would be a hoot.

But we've got some epic :pinshit: coming up, so I really can't do without a :truk: and I don't want to juggle 3 cars again right now.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:54 pm

Man, I so wish I could. :manuel: just sucks in the truck, and wife HATES the soft top on the :truk: But it would be cheap...

If I didn't get so much use out of the :truk: I'd go buy or lease a base 2-door JL :manuel: to tool around in. Would be a hoot.

But we've got some epic :pinshit: coming up, so I really can't do without a :truk: and I don't want to juggle 3 cars again right now.
Could always get a TRD Pro for 45k :yikes: or TRD off road for 35
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:16 pm

I'd get a ZR2 for $38k instead, or a Z71 Colorado for low $30k's. I really like the Colorado.

But yea, the market is :fullretard: right now.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Drum Brakes.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:39 pm
Drum Brakes.
Keep pounding that... drum