Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:49 pm

100% agreed on this. I actually bought a GoPro a while back to make track day video and stuff but then went all :butwhy: :aintcare: on it... I should probably sell. I just want to enjoy my time in the woods, on track, whatever. Fuck doing stuff for the 'gram. When I was gramming regularly, all it did was :triggered: family issues with :tits: stepmom :disgust: .

Sparkin' up the doobie on the cliff side for the win :doe:
Did you just find our band name? Cliff Side Doobies. We can make weird surf rock.
I'd actually love a surf rock/folk/blues mashup band. I've never heard something like it before and think it would be super :neat: Imagine down-tempo surf rock with banjos, stand-up bass and tuba, with some blues wailing Les Paul sprinkled in strategically. Was actually what was in my head at that time.

Cliff Side Doobies. Perfect.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:20 pm
I had the freedom panels off, I didn't take the windshield down because it required tools (which I have in the handy kit from the factory) and there was decent mud slinging. The freedom panels off was epic tho. I really enjoyed it.

I have a fundamental difference in expectations for this stuff. I hate people and social media, so I go to wheel these things to get away from that, not participate in it. I don't want to waste time filming, or taking snaps of the truck posed on a rock or some shit. I'm there for the experience and to get away from the shit I hate. I let my buddy do his thing filming, but whenever he asked me to do something to film, I declined because that's not what I'm there for.
100% agreed on this. I actually bought a GoPro a while back to make track day video and stuff but then went all :butwhy: :aintcare: on it... I should probably sell. I just want to enjoy my time in the woods, on track, whatever. Fuck doing stuff for the 'gram. When I was gramming regularly, all it did was :triggered: family issues with :tits: stepmom :disgust: .

Yea...I don't get it. A bunch of kids we wheeled with were posing trucks, taking constant photos, my buddy was filming it all for his YT channel...they all seemed to enjoy that activity and I guess good for them, but I think I'd miss a lot of the experience if I was viewing most of it through the phone screen. Life is WAY better than digital lives, which is just based on making others jealous/envious. I think it's sick, narcissistic, and depressing and I want nothing to do with it. I want to live myself, not through others.

That said, I actually think a GoPro for track stuff used for the purpose of improving driving skill could be worthwhile. Like, if I had a few good laps and a few crappy laps, it would be great to go back to review what I did right/wrong.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:39 am
Apex wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:42 pm

:excited:

Also, would a near stock Z71 be useless on the island?

:notsure: about that Forrester that was in the video for a second.
A near stock Z71 would make it...just a lot of scraping. The Z71's we've wheeled with have been lifted to ~ZR2 height and they do OK. I didn't use lockers at all on this last trip, but had to with my ZR2. The terrain was different with snow, so I'm not sure if it was the trail condition or the capability of the truck.

The Forrester was legit. The dude sourced a mechanical low-range from an Aussie Subaru, and lifted the thing with a ton of underbody protection. It went everywhere everyone else went, which was quite :impressive: IMO.
:like:

Also thats :neat: on the Forrester!
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:48 am That said, I actually think a GoPro for track stuff used for the purpose of improving driving skill could be worthwhile. Like, if I had a few good laps and a few crappy laps, it would be great to go back to review what I did right/wrong.
GoPro plus Harry’s laptimer on your phone makes for :notbad: track driving basic data. Can get a good idea of why you were faster/slower in a certain segment.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:52 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:48 am That said, I actually think a GoPro for track stuff used for the purpose of improving driving skill could be worthwhile. Like, if I had a few good laps and a few crappy laps, it would be great to go back to review what I did right/wrong.
GoPro plus Harry’s laptimer on your phone makes for :notbad: track driving basic data. Can get a good idea of why you were faster/slower in a certain segment.
Exactly. There's value there...but taking a video just to post to YT is :butwhy: :whocares:

I skimmed the Drummond Island video my buddy took...most of it is :whocares: since it barely compares to the actual experience.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I still don't even have instagram. It's like I'm not even alive.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:34 pm I still don't even have instagram. It's like I'm not even alive.
Instagram is my best life
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:34 pm I still don't even have instagram. It's like I'm not even alive.
I don't either. :aintcare:

My facebook account exists, but I haven't used it since 2016.

Never had a snap :aintcare:
Never had a twitter :aintcare:
Never had a instagram :aintcare:

I might have actually created accounts for a number of these, used them for 5 minutes, didn't get it, and haven't been back. :aintcare:

I feel like an old man. :aintcare:
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:38 pm
Instagram is my best life
It's everyone's, and that's why I can't stand it.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:48 am

Yea...I don't get it. A bunch of kids we wheeled with were posing trucks, taking constant photos, my buddy was filming it all for his YT channel...they all seemed to enjoy that activity and I guess good for them, but I think I'd miss a lot of the experience if I was viewing most of it through the phone screen. Life is WAY better than digital lives, which is just based on making others jealous/envious. I think it's sick, narcissistic, and depressing and I want nothing to do with it. I want to live myself, not through others.

That said, I actually think a GoPro for track stuff used for the purpose of improving driving skill could be worthwhile. Like, if I had a few good laps and a few crappy laps, it would be great to go back to review what I did right/wrong.
Yeah, it blows my mind how many people will try to record an entire concert on their phone and miss the experience of being at the show.

It was funny, the last time I went and saw Green Day Billie Joe was bitching at people to put down their phones and experience the act of "being there". At that moment, 10,000 more people took out their phones to record.

:wtf:

I snap a pic if I'm up close, but I came to enjoy the show and pay attention.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:41 pm

I might have actually created accounts for a number of these, used them for 5 minutes, didn't get it, and haven't been back. :aintcare:

I can stalk your life since your :tits: will tag you in stuff. And then post oktoberfest pics here. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:47 pm

Yeah, it blows my mind how many people will try to record an entire concert on their phone and miss the experience of being at the show.

It was funny, the last time I went and saw Green Day Billie Joe was bitching at people to put down their phones and experience the act of "being there". At that moment, 10,000 more people took out their phones to record.

Went to see Joe Bonamassa a few weeks back. I was the youngest person in the audience, I thought people wouldn't be recording on their phones.

:wrong:

What's worse than people recording the entire concert? OLDS FUMBLING WITH THEIR PHONES TRYING TO RECORD THE ENTIRE CONCERT

Holy hell, nothing is more distracting than a bunch of people in front of you flashing their phone screens on and off since they hit the wrong button or something. It makes me not want to go to concerts anymore.

Live life in the fucking moment. Get off your fucking phones.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:41 pm

I can stalk your life since your :tits: will tag you in stuff. And then post oktoberfest pics here. :lol:
Yea, people know I'm not dead because of that.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

#metoo. I must be dead as well. :whocares:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:02 pm
Not dead...you don't exist.

:mindblown:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:02 pm
I also do not even insta bro
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Went to see Joe Bonamassa a few weeks back. I was the youngest person in the audience, I thought people wouldn't be recording on their phones.

What's worse than people recording the entire concert? OLDS FUMBLING WITH THEIR PHONES TRYING TO RECORD THE ENTIRE CONCERT

Holy hell, nothing is more distracting than a bunch of people in front of you flashing their phone screens on and off since they hit the wrong button or something. It makes me not want to go to concerts anymore.

This is the trick: Buy seats up front.

Was going to go see McCartney a few months ago but decided that paying the $3k a seat for the front 2 rows was crazy. He's well past his prime anyway, but I'm trying to see everyone I really like before they die.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Concerts are the most :rage: inducing for me with this...
1. :wtf: is the point of having tiny, portrait style, shitty video.
2. :wtf: is the point of paying $200+ for tix when you are doing exactly what you'd be doing at home free... staring at your phone
3. Fuck those people.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:44 pm Went to see Joe Bonamassa a few weeks back. I was the youngest person in the audience, I thought people wouldn't be recording on their phones.

Was going to go see McCartney a few months ago but decided that paying the $3k a seat for the front 2 rows was crazy. He's well past his prime anyway, but I'm trying to see everyone I really like before they die.
Spending more money does solve most problems. :waxer:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:28 pm

Concerts are the most :rage: inducing for me with this...
1. :wtf: is the point of having tiny, portrait style, shitty video.
2. :wtf: is the point of paying $200+ for tix when you are doing exactly what you'd be doing at home free... staring at your phone
3. Fuck those people.
:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:

Like WTF did these olds think they were going to use the shitty videos/photos for.

These tickets were pricey, which I didn't mind because I really like blues, but I didn't pay that much to have phones flash in my face all night. Really ruined the experience...I'm going to think twice about attending another concert like that.

$30 for the local venue? IDGAF. $200? Be more considerate of the people around you.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:28 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:

Spending more money does solve most problems. :waxer:
I don't really like sitting in the front row. Hard to take in the entire experience. Rows 5-10 are perfect IMO, but there's still plenty of room for :derp: to flash their phone in my face the entire time.

I'm ready for my cabin.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

:fuckyeah:

loves me some Joe, long time.......
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:53 pm

:fuckyeah:

loves me some Joe, long time.......
He's a legend and was epic.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:02 pm

Yeah... I would like to see Macca and Sir Elton before they (or I) fade into obliv......
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Aviici died at 28 so much for seeing people before they fade or get old. :mindblown: