Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:46 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:40 am Oh the halogens are not that bad?
:yeahok:

Lay off the :koolaid:
How may halogen headlight JL/T's have you driven?

:gtfo:
Admittedly zero. I struggle to see how any halogen lamp can be worth a shit compared to anything other than candlelight
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:40 am Oh the halogens are not that bad?
:yeahok:

Lay off the :koolaid:

:lolol:

:roasted:

admittedly, the :fax: will never ever ever understand the :jeep: thing.

The JK halogens where just plain terrible. The fact they sold $40k cars with those is :amaze:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:02 pm C5 is officially gone. Staring at the JT, I'm oddly barely sad about it. The feeling of simplicity is nice.

:wrong:
:sad:

:poorvette: is gone. :meata: is gone. What is becoming of DFD?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:12 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:02 pm C5 is officially gone. Staring at the JT, I'm oddly barely sad about it. The feeling of simplicity is nice.

:wrong:
:sad:

:poorvette: is gone. :meata: is gone. What is becoming of DFD?
:jeep: and :gorf:

There is no other answer.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:19 am :jeep: and :gorf:

:notbad: but we need more :burnout:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:52 am

The JK halogens where just plain terrible. The fact they sold $40k cars with those is :amaze:
The JK halogens WERE terrible. Agreed. Maybe they were just so terrible that I was expecting that on my JT, and when they weren't I was :mindblown:

The things are seriously fine. I'm shocked.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:52 am

The JK halogens WERE terrible. Agreed. Maybe they were just so terrible that I was expecting that on my JT, and when they weren't I was :mindblown:

good to hear. but the china LEDs are still widely available and easy to install.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:26 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:19 am :jeep: and :gorf:

The world is just less and less accepting of it. I don't even know where I could actually do a :burnout: without getting arrested for reckless driving.

Roads are horrible, so even if I want to do a fun 0-60 or whatever blast, it's dodging potholes and/or painful. Then when you are having fun, you're breaking the law everywhere and run a real risk of expensive tickets or worse.

Maybe I'm just getting old and boring. It's just not that fun anymore. :wap:

If I were rich and lived somewhere else with fast access to twisty roads or tracks, it might be a different story.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:55 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 am

good to hear. but the china LEDs are still widely available and easy to install.
Yea, if really needed.

Honestly, if I wanted more light, it would only be for off-roading. Then I'd just do some ditch mounted LEDs that would provide more light than the sun.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

moar pics are needed. More reviews. More garage updates. More BeeBeep action. Parking ones wheels on the others.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Do you even need the garage anymore? Leave it demolished and park your :truk: :jeep: on the rubble.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:17 am Gladiator update...

Drove it last night and used the headlights. Actually pretty :mindblown: how good they are. Might be the best halogens I've ever driven behind. Excellent illumination and light pattern, similar to the LED lights only yellow and not quite as bright. A set of brighter bulbs is probably all it needs.

Took it to a friend's house who has a 2.5 year old son. Pull up and he's standing in the front window, and see his eyes get big and mouth agape looking at the Gladiator. Open the door and he starts pointing and yelling ORANGE TRUCK ORANGE TRUCK. So I take him down and let him sit in the seat, he lost his mind. Beeped the horn, etc. Hopefully got him hooked.

But that made me realize why I like the thing so much. It reminds me of when I was a kid...it looks like something I would have built out of Legos, dreaming of actually driving it. Or a ridiculous Matchbox truck or model or something. Sounds cliche or :gaydance: or whatever, but it's true. I smile just looking at the thing, it's as outrageous as my 5 year old imagination was.

:wub:
Glad you're liking it! Does the JT have trinkets like the tool kit or perhaps something else, that is specific to the JT, that would be interesting to see.

Also would love to see more pics of the thing, inside etc.

I want to hear more of your thoughts on the ride. You mentioned it is better, but specifically off roads, I found the JT to be quite a bit more forgiving, in my very very limited experience so it would be nice to hear your take.

Granted the whole breakover thing is crap, but I think for 99% of off roading that is sane it will be actually better than the JL. Other than turning radius issues. That was a real thing for me on some tighter trails even in the JLU.

I also wonder about a few other things... which we will likely have to wait until NEXT SUMMER :disgust: for...
1. Does the 2.slow have the same afterburner fan noise?
2. What about the JT does it also go :fullretard: when it gets over 80F?
3. MPG comparison between the JT and JL on the same trip and also per tank if you get even get to beep beep
4. Is the JL drinking regular or is she "spoiling it" with premium ?

So what was the total number of days it took from order to delivery ? Come on man hit me with some :math: i love that kind of shit for no reason.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:56 am
coogles wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:26 am

The world is just less and less accepting of it. I don't even know where I could actually do a :burnout: without getting arrested for reckless driving.

Roads are horrible, so even if I want to do a fun 0-60 or whatever blast, it's dodging potholes and/or painful. Then when you are having fun, you're breaking the law everywhere and run a real risk of expensive tickets or worse.

If I were rich and lived somewhere else with fast access to twisty roads or tracks, it might be a different story.
I dunno mang, I personally think you will sing a different tune at some point. It does seem like Detroit is a pretty :disgust: place for something low slung but there are other ways of having fun. I just see NO way that you would have less fun in a Challenger Redeye wide body. That shit is perfect ... and the :dill: 's are epic.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:22 am Do you even need the garage anymore? Leave it demolished and park your :truk: :jeep: on the rubble.
I like parking what I drive in the garage. Keeps them nice, clean from snow, etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:22 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:17 am Gladiator update...

Drove it last night and used the headlights. Actually pretty :mindblown: how good they are. Might be the best halogens I've ever driven behind. Excellent illumination and light pattern, similar to the LED lights only yellow and not quite as bright. A set of brighter bulbs is probably all it needs.

Took it to a friend's house who has a 2.5 year old son. Pull up and he's standing in the front window, and see his eyes get big and mouth agape looking at the Gladiator. Open the door and he starts pointing and yelling ORANGE TRUCK ORANGE TRUCK. So I take him down and let him sit in the seat, he lost his mind. Beeped the horn, etc. Hopefully got him hooked.

But that made me realize why I like the thing so much. It reminds me of when I was a kid...it looks like something I would have built out of Legos, dreaming of actually driving it. Or a ridiculous Matchbox truck or model or something. Sounds cliche or :gaydance: or whatever, but it's true. I smile just looking at the thing, it's as outrageous as my 5 year old imagination was.

:wub:
Glad you're liking it! Does the JT have trinkets like the tool kit or perhaps something else, that is specific to the JT, that would be interesting to see. Mine didn't come with a tool kit...but I think it was supposed to. Not sure I care, but might ask someone. There's a few unique JT things, I'll take some photos

Also would love to see more pics of the thing, inside etc. noted

I want to hear more of your thoughts on the ride. You mentioned it is better, but specifically off roads, I found the JT to be quite a bit more forgiving, in my very very limited experience so it would be nice to hear your take. will hopefully find out soon. I certainly prefer the ride on road to the JL.

Granted the whole breakover thing is crap, but I think for 99% of off roading that is sane it will be actually better than the JL. Other than turning radius issues. That was a real thing for me on some tighter trails even in the JLU. For what I do, it'll do fine. The wheelbase could be an issue on tight trails, but I'll find out. The turning radius on it is better than my ZR2 was, by a noticeable margin

I also wonder about a few other things... which we will likely have to wait until NEXT SUMMER :disgust: for...
1. Does the 2.slow have the same afterburner fan noise? I'll pay attention if it gets hot
2. What about the JT does it also go :fullretard: when it gets over 80F? we'll see
3. MPG comparison between the JT and JL on the same trip and also per tank if you get even get to beep beepThis is planned for sure
4. Is the JL drinking regular or is she "spoiling it" with premium ?She just dumps regular in it. She'll never notice a difference. I might try premium at some point to see if I notice a difference, but since my Gladiator is an unlimited mileage lease, it's probably going to go on the vast majority of trips

So what was the total number of days it took from order to delivery ? Come on man hit me with some :math: i love that kind of shit for no reason.Ordered on 7/31, delivered on 9/25...so 56 days, just under 2 months. Not bad really.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:30 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:56 am

I dunno mang, I personally think you will sing a different tune at some point. It does seem like Detroit is a pretty :disgust: place for something low slung but there are other ways of having fun. I just see NO way that you would have less fun in a Challenger Redeye wide body. That shit is perfect ... and the :dill: 's are epic.
Even if it wasn't low slung, there's nowhere to enjoy something with high HP. NOWHERE. It's not worth tickets, increased insurance premiums, etc, etc.

A Widebody Redeye is ~$70k...insurance would be :fullretard: because :mahtroy: s steal them by the dozens, so it would be an immensely pricey endeavor for...what I consider to be a marginal return. I'm perfectly happy bumbling along at the speed limit with the top off in the JT. That's why I like it so much. It's fun without breaking the law or the car due to horrible roads.

If I lived in the middle of nowhere or something, it would be a different story. SE MI just BLOWS for fast cars. "Motor city" is such :yeahok: :bs:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:38 am
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:22 am

Glad you're liking it! Does the JT have trinkets like the tool kit or perhaps something else, that is specific to the JT, that would be interesting to see. Mine didn't come with a tool kit...but I think it was supposed to. Not sure I care, but might ask someone. There's a few unique JT things, I'll take some photos

Also would love to see more pics of the thing, inside etc. noted

I want to hear more of your thoughts on the ride. You mentioned it is better, but specifically off roads, I found the JT to be quite a bit more forgiving, in my very very limited experience so it would be nice to hear your take. will hopefully find out soon. I certainly prefer the ride on road to the JL.

Granted the whole breakover thing is crap, but I think for 99% of off roading that is sane it will be actually better than the JL. Other than turning radius issues. That was a real thing for me on some tighter trails even in the JLU. For what I do, it'll do fine. The wheelbase could be an issue on tight trails, but I'll find out. The turning radius on it is better than my ZR2 was, by a noticeable margin

1. Does the 2.slow have the same afterburner fan noise? I'll pay attention if it gets hot
2. What about the JT does it also go :fullretard: when it gets over 80F? we'll see
3. MPG comparison between the JT and JL on the same trip and also per tank if you get even get to beep beepThis is planned for sure
4. Is the JL drinking regular or is she "spoiling it" with premium ?She just dumps regular in it. She'll never notice a difference. I might try premium at some point to see if I notice a difference, but since my Gladiator is an unlimited mileage lease, it's probably going to go on the vast majority of trips

So what was the total number of days it took from order to delivery ? Come on man hit me with some :math: i love that kind of shit for no reason.Ordered on 7/31, delivered on 9/25...so 56 days, just under 2 months. Not bad really.
:dat:
:neat: will wait for further updates
troyguitar

I've been in MI all week and the roads and drivers keep getting worse, but I still see tons of vettes and pony cars. Also saw several Maserati, Lotus, and even a couple of Ferraris including a black F430 being DD'ed. The Maserati GT seems like the right choice here, looks and sounds great without being huge or painful.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The maser gt is huge though
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:00 pm I've been in MI all week and the roads and drivers keep getting worse, but I still see tons of vettes and pony cars. Also saw several Maserati, Lotus, and even a couple of Ferraris including a black F430 being DD'ed. The Maserati GT seems like the right choice here, looks and sounds great without being huge or painful.
Yea, tons of people have these fun cars, and good for them. It's just not for me right now. Also, NOBODY who owns a Ferrari DDs it. They only drive it to work when they feel like it.

Something "GT" would be the way to go. I'd probably look more seriously at a Hellcat if it wasn't going to cost a fortune in every way. I won't spend over $20k on a fun summer vehicle. I just don't see the point.

I'd consider a 928, but :manuel: s are rare and expensive.

I'm still really intrigued by a 996 Targa. Modern enough, right price point, comfortable, would be fun to cruise in. That would be my front runner if looking seriously for something...

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/ ... 21241.html

:notbad:

I might drive that more than the :poorvette: if it's indeed more comfortable. But still, I'm just not interested in doing the 3 car thing at this moment
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:22 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:00 pm I've been in MI all week and the roads and drivers keep getting worse, but I still see tons of vettes and pony cars. Also saw several Maserati, Lotus, and even a couple of Ferraris including a black F430 being DD'ed. The Maserati GT seems like the right choice here, looks and sounds great without being huge or painful.
Yea, tons of people have these fun cars, and good for them. It's just not for me right now. Also, NOBODY who owns a Ferrari DDs it. They only drive it to work when they feel like it.

Something "GT" would be the way to go. I'd probably look more seriously at a Hellcat if it wasn't going to cost a fortune in every way. I won't spend over $20k on a fun summer vehicle. I just don't see the point.

I'd consider a 928, but :manuel: s are rare and expensive.

I'm still really intrigued by a 996 Targa. Modern enough, right price point, comfortable, would be fun to cruise in. That would be my front runner if looking seriously for something...

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/ ... 21241.html

:notbad:

I might drive that more than the :poorvette: if it's indeed more comfortable. But still, I'm just not interested in doing the 3 car thing at this moment
There is no such thing as DD'ing performance cars in the rustbelt, unless it is for instafame.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Camdalf is gone?!?!

:( :pouroneout:
troyguitar

I mean obviously the F430 wasn't the guy's only car, but it was dirty and being driven in traffic at 6PM on a weekday on a boring 45 mph grid with no trophy wife in the passenger seat.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

These things are why I still want an S2000. Short AF gears, high redline, convertible, and all the fizz. It isn't fast, but you can still have a shit-ton of fun south of 70mph. A 2004-07 STi or 03-06 Evo might be the way I go when the time comes, though, for :baby: carrying purposes, but otherwise basically for the same reasons.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:12 pm Camdalf is gone?!?!

:( :pouroneout:
It happened quick... but also not quick...