Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:29 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:55 pm Also reason why I am asking this is because I deal with contracts on the regular here for work, and I tend to review my buddies contracts on occasion as well (The contractor). Depending on how you decide to go forward your options change...

If he is a licensed contractor in your state, and he is refusing to do the work, you can file a claim with the state against him and that normally causes them to pucker up real quick, as then you will be able to take the "bid amount" and take it to someone/anyone else to complete the work and if they do cost over-runs it will be charged back to your buddy. No sane contractor will let it get to that point and usually complete the work, as it turns into a huge fiasco for them.
All good to know.

He's not refusing to do work, he just keeps making excuses for delays and whatnot. He's still communicating, just nothing is really being accomplished.
Yea I think if you like the guy unfortunately I’d cut him some slack, it’s the easiest way out. Unless shit gets really out of hand... the stress of switching may exceed the stress of the time overrun
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:29 pm
All good to know.

He's not refusing to do work, he just keeps making excuses for delays and whatnot. He's still communicating, just nothing is really being accomplished.
Yea I think if you like the guy unfortunately I’d cut him some slack, it’s the easiest way out. Unless shit gets really out of hand... the stress of switching may exceed the stress of the time overrun
I don't disagree. Just frustrating because it'll be 5 months minimum now before it can be completed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:34 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:32 pm

I don't disagree. Just frustrating because it'll be 5 months minimum now before it can be completed.
Is that because the “winter window” was missed ?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:58 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:49 pm Whoa... can you actually not pay him for being late... this may go to small claims...
We have a signed agreement that 1/3 is up front, another 1/3 when windows are installed ( supposed to be the mid point, but there's still four big holes where windows are supposed to go) and the final when the job is complete.

How can he sue us?
He can't. That sounds like a perfectly normal contract to me. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:00 pm
wap wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Shit man, that sucks. I'd be :rage: ing, too. Good that you still owe him a fuck ton of dough. Hope it gets done by T-Giving at least. :|
Unlikely. Now with the weather doing what it's doing, no way the stucco will be completed...and the garage doesn't even have electricity yet. No way that'll happen either until spring.
:( So frustrating. Sorry dude.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:14 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Well for the work that has to be completed... I dunno how balls deep he is or how mad you two are at one another.

But are you :nuke: 'ing him or just pissed that he is late?
Oh, I've been very clear. I'll pay him as soon as my final 4 windows are installed, and I've always paid him very on time, this isn't the first time I've worked with him.

:rage: and :nuke: won't help this situation (or any like it), so I'm keeping the line of communication wide open, but firm that I'm sticking to my originally agreed upon payment schedule. If I pay him, he won't have incentive to hurry the fuck up and get things done.
Has he tried to change the schedule to get some money early?
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:37 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:27 pm

:mahman: Plus the jurisdictional limit is too high for small claims.
Yea, this is WAY beyond small claims by nearly 10x.

Im not trying to stoff him, I'll gladly pay what I've received in full, but I need to keep the pressure on him to get shit done, and I'm doing it by sticking to the original agreement.
As you should.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:34 pm
Is that because the “winter window” was missed ?
Right. Electricity needs to be run through the ground...now that the top of the ground is frozen, it can't be trenched to run the wire.

Stucco won't set properly below freezing...and each coat needs at least 2 days (48 hours) above freezing to cure properly. There's 3 coats to complete the stucco, only one is done. The likelihood of having 48 hours all above freezing over the course of a week minimum is highly unlikely.

We we first talked to him, we made it clear we wanted it done before winter so this wouldn't happen. He said no problem AND gave us a schedule that had the garage completed by the middle of September (construction started at the end of July). He blew every milestone on the schedule by a week at least, and now here we are.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:14 pm
Oh, I've been very clear. I'll pay him as soon as my final 4 windows are installed, and I've always paid him very on time, this isn't the first time I've worked with him.

:rage: and :nuke: won't help this situation (or any like it), so I'm keeping the line of communication wide open, but firm that I'm sticking to my originally agreed upon payment schedule. If I pay him, he won't have incentive to hurry the fuck up and get things done.
He asked for the second installment...I asked him where the missing windows were and he said "they'll be installed tomorrow" and that was 2 weeks ago...still no windows.

He hasn't asked since, but minimal work has been accomplished over the last two weeks. Basically just the first coat of stucco was done exactly a week ago today.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 am
wap wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 pm
He asked for the second installment...I asked him where the missing windows were and he said "they'll be installed tomorrow" and that was 2 weeks ago...still no windows.

He hasn't asked since, but minimal work has been accomplished over the last two weeks. Basically just the first coat of stucco was done exactly a week ago today.
Fuck that next installment then. :fshitup:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

wap wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 am

The old me would have been raging out so hard by now and making promises to end his family line. The new calmer me after the medical issues is only completely disgusted and aggravated by this.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:11 pm

The old me would have been raging out so hard by now and making promises to end his family line. The new calmer me after the medical issues is only completely disgusted and aggravated by this.
You can't be vengeful when you're stroking out in the back of an ambulance.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:50 pm

So true.
max225

Did you break in the golf yet?
wap

True progress! :like:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:13 pm Did you break in the golf yet?
No, it's been with my friend for a week now. Will start dding it after tomorrow.
wap

:dat:

BTW, I shoveled snow yesterday for the first time since my surgery. Took an hour. I survived. :whocares:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 pm

BTW, I shoveled snow yesterday for the first time since my surgery. Took an hour. I survived. :whocares:
Small victories are great, aren't they?
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:56 pm
wap wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 pm

Small victories are great, aren't they?
:yesth: Absolutely!
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:13 pm Did you break in the golf yet?
No, it's been with my friend for a week now. Will start dding it after tomorrow.
So it'll be broken in by friday.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea...I'm just not that kind of person. Frustrated? Absolutely...but I just like to keep my stress levels down by acknowledging the things I can and can't control, and letting go of the things I can't.

Example:

Instead of getting :triggered: , yesterday I shot our contractor an e-mail to the effect of "I'm going to call the window company tomorrow to order the missing windows and install them myself. I will deduct the amount from the outstanding balance I owe. I also contacted an electrical company to complete electrical service, I'll handle that and deduct the amount allotted for electrical from the outstanding balance."

Within 20 minutes he responded with "The windows were delivered to my shop Monday, they'll be installed Wednesday or Thursday."

To which I responded "If they're not in by Thursday, I'll be ordering the windows myself and deducting the amount from the outstanding balance I owe. I assume I'm now handling the electrical. I will deduct $X,XXX from the outstanding balance as agreed upon in the initial bid"

Crickets.

This will be the third time in a month and a half that the "windows will be installed tomorrow". We'll see.

I've found it more effective (in life in general) to just handle things myself than to get :triggered: at people. It usually throws people off when instead of yelling, ranting, raving, etc...I'm perfectly calm and inform that I'll be taking matters into my own hands.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:55 am

Yea...I'm just not that kind of person. Frustrated? Absolutely...but I just like to keep my stress levels down by acknowledging the things I can and can't control, and letting go of the things I can't.

Example:

Instead of getting :triggered: , yesterday I shot our contractor an e-mail to the effect of "I'm going to call the window company tomorrow to order the missing windows and install them myself. I will deduct the amount from the outstanding balance I owe. I also contacted an electrical company to complete electrical service, I'll handle that and deduct the amount allotted for electrical from the outstanding balance."

Within 20 minutes he responded with "The windows were delivered to my shop Monday, they'll be installed Wednesday or Thursday."

To which I responded "If they're not in by Thursday, I'll be ordering the windows myself and deducting the amount from the outstanding balance I owe. I assume I'm now handling the electrical. I will deduct $X,XXX from the outstanding balance as agreed upon in the initial bid"

Crickets.

This will be the third time in a month and a half that the "windows will be installed tomorrow". We'll see.

I've found it more effective (in life in general) to just handle things myself than to get :triggered: at people. It usually throws people off when instead of yelling, ranting, raving, etc...I'm perfectly calm and inform that I'll be taking matters into my own hands.
:bravo: to all, especially the bolded. Much healthier way to go through life, imo.
wap

Also, :popcorn: to see if he actually gets those windows installed by tomorrow.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:55 am

Example:

Crickets.

Make sure you keep detailed logs of purchases and time spent doing the work in case he turns into a real shitbag and tries to claim he did the electrical like he was supposed to and you owe him money for it... windows too, but I’m hoping for you that he actually gets them installed this week as promised.
max225

:popcorn: on cuntractor