Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:28 am 16.5 is quite a solid sum, I sold my 2002 in 2013 so now over 6 years ago for 17... it had 58k miles on it ...
That dyno sheet is going to appeal to somebody eventually. The cam and heads might decrease the value for 95% of all old men with bad knees, but if you can wait the 5% will roll in, particularly considering the rest of the car was outstanding.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:45 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:28 am 16.5 is quite a solid sum, I sold my 2002 in 2013 so now over 6 years ago for 17... it had 58k miles on it ...
That dyno sheet is going to appeal to somebody eventually. The cam and heads might decrease the value for 95% of all old men with bad knees, but if you can wait the 5% will roll in, particularly considering the rest of the car was outstanding.
I mean sure but it is nearly 20 years old...

I bought my 2002 in 2005 for 25.5k it had 19.5k miles on it... and it was essentially near new... it has been a long time since then, and depreciation hasn't truly happened.

Sports cars have held their values pretty darn well to be honest.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:56 am
Desertbreh wrote:

Is this sale tracked in another thread?
Maybe?

Dude out of the blue asked me to call him when he saw the CL post I've had up all summer. He's a rad older dude looking for a "modern" Vette. He came out to look at the car Monday night, and we struck a deal at the end. Completed the deal and he took the car last night.

I got $16.5k for it. I'm pleased with that overall, pretty sure that's all it was worth, and I certainly wouldn't get more for it later.

While I loved the car, and still do, it's just not what I want anymore. This world is increasingly not fit for sports cars, and I really don't enjoy having an awesome thing just sitting in the garage 99% of the time. Taking the Gladiator wheeling, camping, kayaking, etc is far more appealing to me right now. Obviously :wrong: but I like the simplicity of one vehicle right now.

I'll probably end up with something fun eventually, I'm super intrigued by 996 Targas, would love another 944 or 968, early Vipers are getting pretty attractive, but I think that'll be a way off, if ever.
We are 95% of the way towards a contract on an oceanfront condo between Rosarito Beach and Ensenada. Assuming that goes down, the Brahhoe will find a new home south of the border and the C6 may get swapped for a JL as you simply cannot drive that thing to Baja.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:24 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:12 pm Camdalf is gone?!?!

:( :pouroneout:
It happened quick... but also not quick...
Everyone moving to that :truk: and :jeep: life. :pout:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The guy that bought it said he didn't want the work done to it...wanted a stock car, but loved the color and condition of my car.

Then he drove it and was blown away. He even admitted that he was planning on de-modding it, but after driving it is going to keep it 100% as it is because it's so much fun. He even loved the steering wheel.

I chatted with him quite a bit explaining that I did everything on the car with a plan...it wasn't just a bunch of parts jammed together. He agreed that it was awesome, but he said he was really apprehensive to even look at it at first.

And that's when I realized the car is worthless and if I didn't take his $16,500 offer, I'd be in it for the long run, or I'd have to take some sort of low ball. Never mod a Corvette if you want to resell it. Just leave it stock and sell it for something else if you want more.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:28 pm

The guy that bought it said he didn't want the work done to it...wanted a stock car, but loved the color and condition of my car.

Then he drove it and was blown away. He even admitted that he was planning on de-modding it, but after driving it is going to keep it 100% as it is because it's so much fun. He even loved the steering wheel.

I chatted with him quite a bit explaining that I did everything on the car with a plan...it wasn't just a bunch of parts jammed together. He agreed that it was awesome, but he said he was really apprehensive to even look at it at first.

And that's when I realized the car is worthless and if I didn't take his $16,500 offer, I'd be in it for the long run, or I'd have to take some sort of low ball. Never mod a Corvette if you want to resell it. Just leave it stock and sell it for something else if you want more.
modding is always :wasteful: but we're young, dumb and full of c__ we think that we know better than people who do this for a living :gaydance:
ChrisoftheNorth

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:12 pm Camdalf is gone?!?!

:( :pouroneout:
Yea, it's been posted for sale since late June with zero interest. I just about decided to keep it and let it sit in the garage until this dude came along.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:28 pm

modding is always :wasteful: but we're young, dumb and full of c__ we think that we know better than people who do this for a living :gaydance:
I knew the mods were money lit on fire. I'm perfectly fine with that. What I didn't expect was how much simple mods like I did would limit the market. I think that's somewhat unique to Corvettes, but still. Wow. Do. Not. Mod. A. Corvette.

I actually really enjoyed working on that car and doing the work I did on it. So the fact that I got out of it for a minimal loss (just $500 from the base price for 14k miles), I view the mods cost as enjoyment like a vacation that's worth $0 at the end.

If I could go back in time and do it all over again, I would have started with a 4th gen Camaro I think. Lower price of entry, plus less market sensitivity to mods. Oh well. It's another car chapter closed, and I'll remember it very fondly, which is all I can ask for.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:34 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:29 pm

I knew the mods were money lit on fire. I'm perfectly fine with that. What I didn't expect was how much simple mods like I did would limit the market. I think that's somewhat unique to Corvettes, but still. Wow. Do. Not. Mod. A. Corvette.

I actually really enjoyed working on that car and doing the work I did on it. So the fact that I got out of it for a minimal loss (just $500 from the base price for 14k miles), I view the mods cost as enjoyment like a vacation that's worth $0 at the end.

If I could go back in time and do it all over again, I would have started with a 4th gen Camaro I think. Lower price of entry, plus less market sensitivity to mods. Oh well. It's another car chapter closed, and I'll remember it very fondly, which is all I can ask for.
Try modding a P car... :lol: :member: you guys told me that if it doesn't P car :dillerman: service records you can't even sell it.... :disgust: $599 oil changes that have $60 in parts...
ChrisoftheNorth

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:50 pm

Everyone moving to that :truk: and :jeep: life. :pout:
:aintcare:

It's not like I dumped the fun car for a Prius. I'm in a bright orange lifted convertible pickup with 33" tires, lockers, removable doors, and fold-down windshield. Plenty of fun and uniqueness.

Fun doesn't necessarily have to be a sports car.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:34 pm

Try modding a P car... :lol: :member: you guys told me that if it doesn't P car :dillerman: service records you can't even sell it.... :disgust: $599 oil changes that have $60 in parts...
Oh yea FUUUUU that.

This is probably why I won't even buy a Porsche either. Not because I can't mod it, but because of the ridiculousness of buyers. I HATED selling my 944. That was horrible, worse than the C5, which is a close second.

Don't even bother listing the car if you don't have full service records, PPI, and the factory correct windshield wipers.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:39 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:35 pm

Oh yea FUUUUU that.

This is probably why I won't even buy a Porsche either. Not because I can't mod it, but because of the ridiculousness of buyers. I HATED selling my 944. That was horrible, worse than the C5, which is a close second.

Don't even bother listing the car if you don't have full service records, PPI, and the factory correct windshield wipers.
Yea I can see it... I wonder what's going to happen to the mini when I am bored of it... in 2-3 years... hopefully it won't be too much of a nightmare... but you never know.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:17 am Gladiator update...

Drove it last night and used the headlights. Actually pretty :mindblown: how good they are. Might be the best halogens I've ever driven behind. Excellent illumination and light pattern, similar to the LED lights only yellow and not quite as bright. A set of brighter bulbs is probably all it needs.

Took it to a friend's house who has a 2.5 year old son. Pull up and he's standing in the front window, and see his eyes get big and mouth agape looking at the Gladiator. Open the door and he starts pointing and yelling ORANGE TRUCK ORANGE TRUCK. So I take him down and let him sit in the seat, he lost his mind. Beeped the horn, etc. Hopefully got him hooked.

But that made me realize why I like the thing so much. It reminds me of when I was a kid...it looks like something I would have built out of Legos, dreaming of actually driving it. Or a ridiculous Matchbox truck or model or something. Sounds cliche or :gaydance: or whatever, but it's true. I smile just looking at the thing, it's as outrageous as my 5 year old imagination was.

:wub:
I fucking love this! I needed an uplift and this delivered. :mahman:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:40 pm
Oh yea FUUUUU that.

Yea I can see it... I wonder what's going to happen to the mini when I am bored of it... in 2-3 years... hopefully it won't be too much of a nightmare... but you never know.
Judging by the way you take care of cars, it should be fine. I think you made a really smart decision by buying the factory accessory exhaust because those are usually "acceptable" mods.

Your biggest issue will just be awareness of the damned car. I didn't even know they existed and how cool they are. I doubt there are many that do.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:17 am Gladiator update...

Drove it last night and used the headlights. Actually pretty :mindblown: how good they are. Might be the best halogens I've ever driven behind. Excellent illumination and light pattern, similar to the LED lights only yellow and not quite as bright. A set of brighter bulbs is probably all it needs.

Took it to a friend's house who has a 2.5 year old son. Pull up and he's standing in the front window, and see his eyes get big and mouth agape looking at the Gladiator. Open the door and he starts pointing and yelling ORANGE TRUCK ORANGE TRUCK. So I take him down and let him sit in the seat, he lost his mind. Beeped the horn, etc. Hopefully got him hooked.

But that made me realize why I like the thing so much. It reminds me of when I was a kid...it looks like something I would have built out of Legos, dreaming of actually driving it. Or a ridiculous Matchbox truck or model or something. Sounds cliche or :gaydance: or whatever, but it's true. I smile just looking at the thing, it's as outrageous as my 5 year old imagination was.

:wub:
I fucking love this! I needed an uplift and this delivered. :mahman:
:bow: :fuckyeah:

Watching the little dude last night lose his mind over the truck was awesome. Made me realize that's how I feel inside with the thing.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

we demand moar beepbeep pics.

Also, re: JL halogens, my friend Jakob who was on this forum for a while has a 2018 Sport S 2 Door with the base lights and they are NOT as bad as they were made out to be (albeit I don't have a benchmark to compare it to). Cutoff is nice, only real downgrade is the "light" is yellow. They aren't terrible, but not GREAT.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Halogen projectors are usually fine with decent bulbs. I've now had them in my MR2, MKZ, :wankel: and the wife's mazderp. They're all fine. :wrong:
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:48 pm we demand moar beepbeep pics.

Also, re: JL halogens, my friend Jakob who was on this forum for a while has a 2018 Sport S 2 Door with the base lights and they are NOT as bad as they were made out to be (albeit I don't have a benchmark to compare it to). Cutoff is nice, only real downgrade is the "light" is yellow. They aren't terrible, but not GREAT.
:dat:

As Troy said, I think with better bulbs, they'd be pretty danged close to great.

The lights in my Colorado were horrible. Even with LEDs. The Colorado had halogen projectors while the JL/T is reflectors. Notsure if that makes a difference somehow.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Where the fuck did he go?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:dat: :waiting:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Oh yea FUUUUU that.

I imagine it will be a lot like this Fiat.

worthless.

max225

dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:44 pm
I imagine it will be a lot like this Fiat.

worthless.

Yep.... likely $4999 or less money set on fire :disgust:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Speaking of nine fo do here's one I made an all steel wide body and diffuser for at my uncle's shop.Image

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:32 pm Speaking of nine fo do here's one I made an all steel wide body and diffuser for at my uncle's shop.Image

Dat exhaust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Apex wrote:
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:32 pm Speaking of nine fo do here's one I made an all steel wide body and diffuser for at my uncle's shop.Image

Dat exhaust.
Was a turbo making over 400hp. My fist fit in the exhaust though.Image