Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:19 pm
One of the hardest parts for me and especially the wife is owning a car that can only be driven for half the year. Seems like such a waste...and for me tends to contribute to :plac: because I let the waste guilt me.

Something that could be driven year round is really appealing, and with the amount of snow we get up here, an AWD rally thing would be an absolute blast to take out in the snow. Agreed that I'd rather have a 2-door or something more exotic, but to add a vehicle when I really don't need one, I want maximum enjoyment.
Some people are the "own a special occasional weekend thing" kind of guys, others are not. I prefer to just have something I can beat on and enjoy as much as possible. This STI would really fit the bill for that for you. I think a MINI would too.
MINI wouldn't be anywhere near as fun in the snow, but it would certainly do just fine. Biggest thing about the MINI is I could pick one up for far cheaper and closer to my comfort zone spending for a fun car.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:19 pm
One of the hardest parts for me and especially the wife is owning a car that can only be driven for half the year. Seems like such a waste...and for me tends to contribute to :plac: because I let the waste guilt me.

Something that could be driven year round is really appealing, and with the amount of snow we get up here, an AWD rally thing would be an absolute blast to take out in the snow. Agreed that I'd rather have a 2-door or something more exotic, but to add a vehicle when I really don't need one, I want maximum enjoyment.
996 C4S maybe? More money, but not that crazy.
Ohhhhhhh I want one bad...but prices on them have gone :fullretard: ($30k+ from what I can find) AND I'm worried that driving the thing in the winter (like it was intended) would absolutely tank its value far more than an STI.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Easy to spend someone else's money, but I say :doit:

I really like JP's specific example because the value/price is a bit low due to city life cosmetic :bs: but it has been maintained/well loved/kept stock/low miles but someone we know and trust. It is the perfect thing to just buy and enjoy. Most other ones will be priced too high or have sketchy modifications. I don't really care about the small cosmetic things and I feel like you have similar "values" here. Something pre-scratched that you don't have to worry a ton about is best.
Oh, absolutely. Agreed 100% on all points.

But the fact remains that I haven't driven anywhere in 3 days...the last time I did drive was with my dad visiting on Sunday and we went to dinner and took the JL because it's quieter than the truck and easier to get in and out of. The truck hasn't moved in well over a week, the STI would do the same for similar reasons. We have a "date night" planned tonight for dinner at our favorite restaurant, would probably end up taking the JL no matter what because :tits: likes it more (comfortable ride, quiet, easy to get in and out of). After tonight, I won't drive for probably another week if not longer unless taking the truck to do truck things.

On the pro side...that would certainly keep mileage down, and it would be living in the garage so it would stay nice. Probably wouldn't lose a dime on it if I had it for a few year's of fun.
I definitely hear you on this though... while I was a little :sad: to see my old BMW at the TOTD, I'm happy to see it used and I just wouldn't be driving it OR the C5 enough if I had both I was toggling between (and I only have one covered spot where the C5 lives). I am making it a point to take the Corvette places for "date nights" or whatever when we aren't going on a weekend trip or taking the :doge: . We drove it to the wife's family's farm last night, was 5/7 cruising with the targa off at dusk through bumfuck nowhere. Couldn't hit the twisties too hard with her in the car, but it was still fun going through the gears and doing a bit of cornering.

In my case, :tits: would definitely prefer the :jeep: but seems tolerant of the sports car thing for my enjoyment.

With the garage and everything I don't think owning the STI would be unreasonable for you, but it's definitely a tough call. Cars take up a lot of space/money/energy and if you are only using it one hour a week, it is kind of a meh proposition. I ould probably dump the RAM and just do an STI + HF trailer in your situ. but understand the reasons against that too.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:33 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:30 pm

996 C4S maybe? More money, but not that crazy.
Ohhhhhhh I want one bad...but prices on them have gone :fullretard: ($30k+ from what I can find) AND I'm worried that driving the thing in the winter (like it was intended) would absolutely tank its value far more than an STI.
Probably :notwrong:

STi is a fun choice, but IMO it needs a few things to really be enjoyable, and you need to know its limitations if you don't want to drop some major coin. It's an expensive platform to make go fast.
Last edited by coogles on Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:25 pm
Oh, absolutely. Agreed 100% on all points.

But the fact remains that I haven't driven anywhere in 3 days...the last time I did drive was with my dad visiting on Sunday and we went to dinner and took the JL because it's quieter than the truck and easier to get in and out of. The truck hasn't moved in well over a week, the STI would do the same for similar reasons. We have a "date night" planned tonight for dinner at our favorite restaurant, would probably end up taking the JL no matter what because :tits: likes it more (comfortable ride, quiet, easy to get in and out of). After tonight, I won't drive for probably another week if not longer unless taking the truck to do truck things.

On the pro side...that would certainly keep mileage down, and it would be living in the garage so it would stay nice. Probably wouldn't lose a dime on it if I had it for a few year's of fun.
I definitely hear you on this though... while I was a little :sad: to see my old BMW at the TOTD, I'm happy to see it used and I just wouldn't be driving it OR the C5 enough if I had both I was toggling between (and I only have one covered spot where the C5 lives). I am making it a point to take the Corvette places for "date nights" or whatever when we aren't going on a weekend trip or taking the :doge: . We drove it to the wife's family's farm last night, was 5/7 cruising with the targa off at dusk through bumfuck nowhere. Couldn't hit the twisties too hard with her in the car, but it was still fun going through the gears and doing a bit of cornering.

In my case, :tits: would definitely prefer the :jeep: but seems tolerant of the sports car thing for my enjoyment.

With the garage and everything I don't think owning the STI would be unreasonable for you, but it's definitely a tough call. Cars take up a lot of space/money/energy and if you are only using it one hour a week, it is kind of a meh proposition. I ould probably dump the RAM and just do an STI + HF trailer in your situ. but understand the reasons against that too.
Wife would always :sass: about taking the C5 anywhere because it was rough and hard to get in and out of. I didn't want to deal with it, so we always drove something else. She really doesn't like being "low to the ground" and claims getting car sick easy. I'd be fooling myself to think I could drive a fun car on date night...which means it's relegated to times when only I drive, and...I can't remember the last time that happened.

I'd love to ditch the Ram and just JL with a trailer plus the STI. But the idea of a trailer made :tits: more :triggered: than a fun car because trailers are hard to store. She's not :wrong: but, I think it could be done, it's a non-starter regardless. Plus, if magic strikes and I keep my job downstate longer term, commuting down once a week, miles will add up FAST. That's 2k miles/mo that I'd much rather pile on something I don't even remotely care about. The Ram is kind of insurance in the event of that happening.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Wife would always :sass: about taking the C5 anywhere because it was rough and hard to get in and out of. I didn't want to deal with it, so we always drove something else. She really doesn't like being "low to the ground" and claims getting car sick easy. I'd be fooling myself to think I could drive a fun car on date night...which means it's relegated to times when only I drive, and...I can't remember the last time that happened.

I'd love to ditch the Ram and just JL with a trailer plus the STI. But the idea of a trailer made :tits: more :triggered: than a fun car because trailers are hard to store. She's not :wrong: but, I think it could be done, it's a non-starter regardless. Plus, if magic strikes and I keep my job downstate longer term, commuting down once a week, miles will add up FAST. That's 2k miles/mo that I'd much rather pile on something I don't even remotely care about. The Ram is kind of insurance in the event of that happening.
:disappoint: :disappoint: :disappoint:
:disappoint: :tits: :disappoint:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:53 pm

None are perfect. If mine is perfect in every way other than letting me light way too much money on fire on cars I don't need, :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:53 pm

None are perfect. If mine is perfect in every way other than letting me light way too much money on fire on cars I don't need, :ohwell:
:notwrong: But you should buy that 996 :mahman:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:05 pm
:notwrong: But you should buy that 996 :mahman:
A 996 probably has the best chance of anything. She "loves Porsches" (only 911's) for some reason, and every time I point one out she says "maybe some day". A sub-$20k 996 would tick a ton of boxes, and would be somewhat comfortable to drive and live with.

A 9964S like Coogs mentioned would be perfection, but the prices have gone :fullretard:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Are the AWD cars as good to drive? I've never driven any 911... but I assume normally AWD makes everything that started life as RWD worse.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:34 pm Are the AWD cars as good to drive? I've never driven any 911... but I assume normally AWD makes everything that started life as RWD worse.
Never driven an AWD 911, but I imagine they're good. I LOVE driving 911's.

The 996 C4S is special though, because it's got the Turbro body which looks :jimp: Turbros are AWD as well, so they're basically Turbros without the engine. I also :lolol: at the thought of hooning the thing through a snowstorm, which I don't think I'd want to do in a RWD.

But if not a C4S, I'd prioritize a RWD for sure. Just for weight and complexity. I'd also buy a car without the IMS done to get it as cheap as possible, then just replace the IMS myself in my dad's garage if I was really worried about it (I think the issue is overblown, personally).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:34 pm Are the AWD cars as good to drive? I've never driven any 911... but I assume normally AWD makes everything that started life as RWD worse.

The 996 C4S is special though, because it's got the Turbro body which looks :jimp: Turbros are AWD as well, so they're basically Turbros without the engine. I also :lolol: at the thought of hooning the thing through a snowstorm, which I don't think I'd want to do in a RWD.

But if not a C4S, I'd prioritize a RWD for sure. Just for weight and complexity. I'd also buy a car without the IMS done to get it as cheap as possible, then just replace the IMS myself in my dad's garage if I was really worried about it (I think the issue is overblown, personally).
Yeah I think I agree, when I was shopping Caymans I wasn't overly worried. Most of the forumbreh panic stuff is really overblown.

I live by the "if it ain't broke" mantra (within reason, I do fluid changes, keep brakes/suspension tip-top, etc) and have minimal issues.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

And the turbo body does look :jimp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:42 pm

Yeah I think I agree, when I was shopping Caymans I wasn't overly worried. Most of the forumbreh panic stuff is really overblown.

I live by the "if it ain't broke" mantra (within reason, I do fluid changes, keep brakes/suspension tip-top, etc) and have minimal issues.
It's an issue that's been so overblown that it's ingrained in the minds of every single 996 shopper. That means a car that hasn't had it done should be pretty cheap, relatively. I won't be tracking the car, and if the maintenance has been kept up on, there's little to worry about. Worst case if the engine pops, I'd through an :ellis: back there as I've always been intrigued by that swap. Would be a very fun project for me.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:46 pm:doit:
I'm curious to see what happens to prices over the next few years. Right now EVERYTHING is expensive. Will 996's come down eventually? I'd like to think so. We'll see.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Can't you quickly, easily, cheaply, and reversibly convert an AWD 996 to RWD?
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:25 pm Can't you quickly, easily, cheaply, and reversibly convert an AWD 996 to RWD?
:iono:

Might be as easy as removing the driveshaft? Still a lot of unnecessary hardware to carry around unless you change out all the front driveline/suspension?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

RWD 911s are supposedly quite good in the snow on proper tires, FWIW. All that weight over the rear wheels makes for plenty of traction, and you can basically steer with the throttle. Sounds like fun to me!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:51 pm RWD 911s are supposedly quite good in the snow on proper tires, FWIW. All that weight over the rear wheels makes for plenty of traction, and you can basically steer with the throttle. Sounds like fun to me!
I know the difference is massive, but my Beetle was EPIC in the snow for the same reason. It plowed throw depths much greater than the ground clearance. Like the nose would plow a path and the belly would scrape along snow. It was a champ.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:03 pm I know the difference is massive, but my Beetle was EPIC in the snow for the same reason. It plowed throw depths much greater than the ground clearance. Like the nose would plow a path and the belly would scrape along snow. It was a champ.
:impressive:

There’s a reason all of the cool kids are doing Safari 911s. They’re supposed to have great dynamics on loose surfaces.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:20 am
wap wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:03 pm I know the difference is massive, but my Beetle was EPIC in the snow for the same reason. It plowed throw depths much greater than the ground clearance. Like the nose would plow a path and the belly would scrape along snow. It was a champ.
:impressive:

There’s a reason all of the cool kids are doing Safari 911s. They’re supposed to have great dynamics on loose surfaces.
The physics are there for good traction, absolutely. I guess I was worried about those same physics and the propensity for snap oversteer to make for a potentially really bad time having fun in the snow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:44 pm

It's an issue that's been so overblown that it's ingrained in the minds of every single 996 shopper. That means a car that hasn't had it done should be pretty cheap, relatively. I won't be tracking the car, and if the maintenance has been kept up on, there's little to worry about. Worst case if the engine pops, I'd through an :ellis: back there as I've always been intrigued by that swap. Would be a very fun project for me.
:fuckyeah: It seems like tracking the cars or letting them sit are what can occasionally kill them, from what I've researched "drivers" don't tend to have any issues. Track cars don't seem to either with proper prevention.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:16 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:06 pm
:fuckyeah: It seems like tracking the cars or letting them sit are what can occasionally kill them, from what I've researched "drivers" don't tend to have any issues. Track cars don't seem to either with proper prevention.
No car likes to sit. Rubber bits dry out and fail, mechanical components go real dry and bearings fail (like the IMS), it's just not great.

Tracking can be fine, but maintenance is super critical if doing so because you want the oil as clean as possible if you're seeing high sustained revs like at a track.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

There no such thing as a cheap porsche. Also porsche engines are NOT reliable. That's a flipping myth. They are fine until 100k miles after that it is an epic shit show. Replacement parts and labor are ASStronomical compared to most other vehicles. That's a terrifying roll of the dice if you ask me.