Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:09 pm

:dat:

I seldom drive the C5 these days, I don't drive much period and when I do, it's usually with the wife and the :jeep: is in the back of the driveway, but man, when I do, it is just such a treat to be in a car with a :manuel: and just good responsiveness. I think a MINI would still be a great choice here, fuel efficient, inexpensive, not a thing like a 944 or old Corvette where it's a little meh to be in, but actually nice, while still being fun.
The big draw of a mini is that they are so much fun DAILY. And the interiors are nice, as is the refinement. Can't say that about a C5. This makes a mini enjoyable and :tits: usually really like em up. A fun car that you both can enjoy.
This is a huge thing. Griff, despite your "she knew this about me" line in the sand, women have a way of wearing you down with general distaste for things, as you know I mean, if you're going to be married, its always funner to do shit you both enjoy.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:09 pm

:dat:

I seldom drive the C5 these days, I don't drive much period and when I do, it's usually with the wife and the :jeep: is in the back of the driveway, but man, when I do, it is just such a treat to be in a car with a :manuel: and just good responsiveness. I think a MINI would still be a great choice here, fuel efficient, inexpensive, not a thing like a 944 or old Corvette where it's a little meh to be in, but actually nice, while still being fun.
There is nothing meh about a 944 with a well preserved interior.
The problem is 944s were cheap 20 years ago and got ragged to shit. nice ones now are probably close to 30k. :yikes:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989- ... 944-s2-12/

yea yea "i can get one for 5k" but it'll be fucked.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:26 pm

The big draw of a mini is that they are so much fun DAILY. And the interiors are nice, as is the refinement. Can't say that about a C5. This makes a mini enjoyable and :tits: usually really like em up. A fun car that you both can enjoy.
This is a huge thing. Griff, despite your "she knew this about me" line in the sand, women have a way of wearing you down with general distaste for things, as you know I mean, if you're going to be married, its always funner to do shit you both enjoy.
Yep shit gets old...

"Oh can we take the other car, it has a bit more space"
"Oh, i am a bit cold today, lets take the other car it has heated seats"
"oh, It's too loud, can we take the other car I have a headache"
"oh, that car rides harsh, I just want to be comfy :wub: "
"I don't really like the sporty thing, I just wanna relax"
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Yep shit gets old...

Exactly why the C5 is gone, and :tits: has to sign off on whatever other thing I buy.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:27 pm

The problem is 944s were cheap 20 years ago and got ragged to shit. nice ones now are probably close to 30k. :yikes:

Agreed on price. That's a hot car though.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:27 pm

Yep, 944's have gone :fullretard:

I LOVED my 944 Turbo, I paid $5.5k for it, and it was a great car for that. Under $10k, 944's make a ton of sense. But now? :hellno: I'd rather get a 996 and change the IMS or find one already fixed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:iono: I made it pretty clear in the first three years we were dating by being on the road all week every week that I like to do my own thing sometimes. You're not attached at the hip to the spouse. Everyone is different in their relationships, but I can't do the hanging with women thing but so much.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I've never driven a 944 but I have a hard time imagining they are any better than a C5 in terms of refinement/comfort/things :tits: enjoy.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Yep shit gets old...

Just the tip of the iceberg. Women have a thousand arrows in their quiver, each designed to mold you just a bit further until 20 years later, there is nothing but compliance.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:15 pm

:dat: A C5 definitely wouldn't be the right move here, plus he's had one. But any car that drives decent whether it's on the Mini/GTI side of the spectrum or the Corvette/Miata side, is so damn rewarding after SUVs and shit. Anyone who says that :jeep: don't drive like dog turds is a liar.
:jeep: s are a completely different driving experience. More :aintcare: motoring, which I honestly find "fun".

Driving my dad's Vagon was crazy after driving only :jeep: for a year now. But at the same time, it comes back to :tits: :sass:

"You're going too fast, I'm going to throw up"
"There's no need to floor it"
"Why can't you just drive normal"
"These seats suck, I can't get comfortable"
"It's too rough in this dirt parking lot"

Maybe a base MINI S would be pretty good, but I haven't even asked her if she likes those. I'm rather certain she's going to :nope: on it being "too girly" or something like that. She'll certainly hate the size. I'm going to wait a while before even bringing it up.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:15 pm

:dat: A C5 definitely wouldn't be the right move here, plus he's had one. But any car that drives decent whether it's on the Mini/GTI side of the spectrum or the Corvette/Miata side, is so damn rewarding after SUVs and shit. Anyone who says that :jeep: don't drive like dog turds is a liar.
:jeep: s are a completely different driving experience. More :aintcare: motoring, which I honestly find "fun".

Driving my dad's Vagon was crazy after driving only :jeep: for a year now. But at the same time, it comes back to :tits: :sass:

Maybe a base MINI S would be pretty good, but I haven't even asked her if she likes those. I'm rather certain she's going to :nope: on it being "too girly" or something like that. She'll certainly hate the size. I'm going to wait a while before even bringing it up.
Size is an issue from a shopping perspective in the "trunk", but for 2 solo people... seats fold and the space is cavernous enough for a Costco 80 roll toiler paper + 10 gallons of milk runs.

But other vehicles are intimidating, even though it rides WAY higher than a C5, other cars tend to BULLY you on the road. It is probably the most annoying aspect of mini ownershit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

This is why I was willing to :troywax: so much on a :jeep: , it was really the only car she liked that I was even remotely interested in co-owning and while she's totally down to take the C5 on local trips (like 90 minutes each way or less), her DD is the primary trip/doing stuff together/with the :doge: car, so I was willing to spring for the :jeep: to make it somewhat interesting to me, I really didn't like the Fusion much or other things she was interested in. I was able to talk her into Bikini which was :fuckyeah: to me as well and she actually loves getting complimented on the color (a daily occurrence).

So yes, I agree, the Wrangler is a lot of fun/a different kind of fun, but they do still drive poorly and it is amazing to get into a fun car with any sort of responsiveness after piloting the Wrangler for a few trips.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:36 pm I've never driven a 944 but I have a hard time imagining they are any better than a C5 in terms of refinement/comfort/things :tits: enjoy.
I think the interior is a bit nicer in a 944, but only because of design and german-ness. I also think the 944 is a tad easier to live with because it's a bit higher off the ground making it easier to get in and out of and prevent scraping. Everything else is similar, but C5 is faster.

My wife HATED my 944. She tells everyone it was "poop brown" (it was burgundy), and the lack of AC made it terrible to her. It was also too loud and too rough...I'll give her the noise complaint, it was straight pipe after the cat. Sounded insanely awesome, but not quiet by any means.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Size is an issue from a shopping perspective in the "trunk", but for 2 solo people... seats fold and the space is cavernous enough for a Costco 80 roll toiler paper + 10 gallons of milk runs.

But other vehicles are intimidating, even though it rides WAY higher than a C5, other cars tend to BULLY you on the road. It is probably the most annoying aspect of mini ownershit.
Yea, she's going to :nope: on being bullied. And I get that, I've experienced it before.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:43 pm This is why I was willing to :troywax: so much on a :jeep: , it was really the only car she liked that I was even remotely interested in co-owning and while she's totally down to take the C5 on local trips (like 90 minutes each way or less), her DD is the primary trip/doing stuff together/with the :doge: car, so I was willing to spring for the :jeep: to make it somewhat interesting to me, I really didn't like the Fusion much or other things she was interested in. I was able to talk her into Bikini which was :fuckyeah: to me as well and she actually loves getting complimented on the color (a daily occurrence).

So yes, I agree, the Wrangler is a lot of fun/a different kind of fun, but they do still drive poorly and it is amazing to get into a fun car with any sort of responsiveness after piloting the Wrangler for a few trips.
I wish I could have talked mine into a more interesting color, but she was really against it. So we have maybe the most common JL in existence, which is meh to me. Still fun in the Jeep way to drive, so I like it, but it's just not what I'd pick.

I think I'll like the Ram for uniqueness, I've never seen a bright bloo Tradesman with all the black parts and off-road bits. It'll certainly drive better and be more comfortable than :jeep: on long trips.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:36 pm I've never driven a 944 but I have a hard time imagining they are any better than a C5 in terms of refinement/comfort/things :tits: enjoy.
My uncle had a poverty spec 924 when I was a teenager but I got booted around in it a few times. It was more like a C4 in dimensions and really German when it came to stiffness and drivability. The interior was very retro cool, his was like 80s in guessing and had a red, cloth buckets and hatch. Really cool in a bubble around the block with when the weather is great. I'm sure the 944 is where it grows :balls: too.
Last edited by Tar on Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Page 185 of this thread should be eliminated for gayness.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:51 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:43 pm This is why I was willing to :troywax: so much on a :jeep: , it was really the only car she liked that I was even remotely interested in co-owning and while she's totally down to take the C5 on local trips (like 90 minutes each way or less), her DD is the primary trip/doing stuff together/with the :doge: car, so I was willing to spring for the :jeep: to make it somewhat interesting to me, I really didn't like the Fusion much or other things she was interested in. I was able to talk her into Bikini which was :fuckyeah: to me as well and she actually loves getting complimented on the color (a daily occurrence).

I wish I could have talked mine into a more interesting color, but she was really against it. So we have maybe the most common JL in existence, which is meh to me. Still fun in the Jeep way to drive, so I like it, but it's just not what I'd pick.

I think I'll like the Ram for uniqueness, I've never seen a bright bloo Tradesman with all the black parts and off-road bits. It'll certainly drive better and be more comfortable than :jeep: on long trips.
Did I miss this Ram?
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:51 pm

Did I miss this Ram?
I guess?

I ordered a replacement for my JT...a Ram Tradesman 4x4 Quad Cab 6'4" Box with cloth bench and off-road group. An honest no frills truck to pile miles on, haul stuff, and beat on for a year.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Oh cool. I honestly forgot all about the tradesman trim as I only ever see big horns and up. When does it arrive?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

His was actually this gen, 1977ish, even had the Martini racing decals on a white paint job, lol he was at the tail end of trying to be a car enthusiast and then falling into a Plymouth Reliant! :jesus:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:58 pm Page 185 of this thread should be eliminated for gayness.
Just dudes with dead spirits, it's a tough year :neek:
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:03 pm Oh cool. I honestly forgot all about the tradesman trim as I only ever see big horns and up. When does it arrive?
Yea, dealers only ever order Big Horns, I can't even find any pictures of what I ordered online. Big Horns lease better in retail, but my lease rate is based off MSRP, so the Tradesman has a significant advantage over the Big Horn.

Should have it within the month unless production gets screwed up.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:03 pm Oh cool. I honestly forgot all about the tradesman trim as I only ever see big horns and up. When does it arrive?
Fun fact you can order the Power Wagon equipment group on a Tradesman 3/4 ton and get all the baller off road stuff without the luxo shit.....costs a fair piece less.