Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:13 pm
Yea, ARMs make sense for a lot of people, myself included. Our broker claims that ARMs aren't really popular here because mortgages just aren't that big to make a huge difference in monthly so banks aren't too aggressive with them. 30 year fixed is still king especially with rates below 3%. Our mortgage is so cheap, I don't really care if I could save a few dollhairs one way or another.

But when I saw the "appraisal waiver" in the paperwork, I asked the broker and he said that banks around here are starting to do that for people buying below their means in high demand areas. Um, ok? I guess seeing that we could pay cash for the place gives them more confidence? Still seems weird but I don't have to pay for an appraisal, so that's nice.
Our mortgage broker kinda sucked... but we were never even offered this as an option. It might have been a compelling option as I don't really imagine we will be here in seven years.
Nah, it's somewhat regional. When you're not dealing with Jumbo loans (which is most of CA), ARMs and 15 years are similar in rates. And 30 years aren't really a whole ton more than 15 years, so most just go for 30 because it has a lower mortgage payment, and that's what the majority of people are looking for.

I personally like 30 year mortgages because you can pay it like a 15 year and pay it off in nearly the same time, though you pay a bit more interest. But there's a benefit to that...if disaster strikes and you need to lower your monthly, just dial back the extra you're paying.

My goal at the new house is to get monthly obligation as low as possible so I could work at Costco and pay living expenses if I had to. But I'm also a :pussy: and worry that if I did an ARM for the slightly lower rate, I'd end up loving the house and staying in it for longer than 7 years and screwing myself. My aversion to risk makes the 30 most comfortable for me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:38 pm

Our mortgage broker kinda sucked... but we were never even offered this as an option. It might have been a compelling option as I don't really imagine we will be here in seven years.
Nah, it's somewhat regional. When you're not dealing with Jumbo loans (which is most of CA), ARMs and 15 years are similar in rates. And 30 years aren't really a whole ton more than 15 years, so most just go for 30 because it has a lower mortgage payment, and that's what the majority of people are looking for.

I personally like 30 year mortgages because you can pay it like a 15 year and pay it off in nearly the same time, though you pay a bit more interest. But there's a benefit to that...if disaster strikes and you need to lower your monthly, just dial back the extra you're paying.

My goal at the new house is to get monthly obligation as low as possible so I could work at Costco and pay living expenses if I had to. But I'm also a :pussy: and worry that if I did an ARM for the slightly lower rate, I'd end up loving the house and staying in it for longer than 7 years and screwing myself. My aversion to risk makes the 30 most comfortable for me.
:dat: was our mentality/current setup, have a 30 year but just pay extra on it each month, it's nice that it could be lower than what we're used to if it ever had to be.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:38 pm

:dat: was our mentality/current setup, have a 30 year but just pay extra on it each month, it's nice that it could be lower than what we're used to if it ever had to be.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:02 pm

Man that sucks some balls. Has it already been that much time ? :yikes:

I mean that was my plan for not getting the taco until buying the house and which is why I bought the mini in cash. However I ended up being way too cautious per usual, we got approval for 2x the final house purchase amount.
I guess I have to run some math, but our broker recommended no big moves in credit or cash positions or they'll need to restart the underwriting process. I qualify for a mortgage FAR beyond what we're asking for, but I think where it's tough is we can buy our new house without selling the old one, but we're using that as a last resort. If I buy the truck cash, the bank will go :triggered: at the loss in cash and we'll likely have to start all over again.. This is my 5th mortgage, and by far the hardest I've ever had to work for. Banks are REALLY cracking down hard now, which makes me even more nervous.
This gave me so much trouble as a self-employed person. It was document upon document, and then a second wave of more shit, and then a final series of requests right near the end. I too am like 50% of my allowable if I consider BOTH properties and loan qualification.

I'm kind of thankful :doe: , I want everyone buying to actually deserve it with proper qualifications. Nobody got time for people walking away from their mortgages en-mass like in 2009. That was a shit show.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:17 pm
I guess I have to run some math, but our broker recommended no big moves in credit or cash positions or they'll need to restart the underwriting process. I qualify for a mortgage FAR beyond what we're asking for, but I think where it's tough is we can buy our new house without selling the old one, but we're using that as a last resort. If I buy the truck cash, the bank will go :triggered: at the loss in cash and we'll likely have to start all over again.. This is my 5th mortgage, and by far the hardest I've ever had to work for. Banks are REALLY cracking down hard now, which makes me even more nervous.
This gave me so much trouble as a self-employed person. It was document upon document, and then a second wave of more shit, and then a final series of requests right near the end. I too am like 50% of my allowable if I consider BOTH properties and loan qualification.

I'm kind of thankful :doe: , I want everyone buying to actually deserve it with proper qualifications. Nobody got time for people walking away from their mortgages en-mass like in 2009. That was a shit show.
For sure, I'm all about being thorough, but it does screw me over when I want to buy a truck and can't. Oh well.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Well, a decision has been made and an order placed...not what people will expect, but whatever.

Drove down state with :tits: yesterday, and realized that the JT just doesn't make sense for this type of driving. It's great for cruising around town, but when it comes to long highway slogs, there's better choices. Since there will be many highway slogs in the future and we have an increasing need for a truck at the new place hauling tons of crap, the decision was made to corporate lease the cheapest Ram possible. Small cab, big bed for hauling, will be used as a workhorse. Any decent used truck will be $10k these days and still require work because old car shit, so the decision to do another corporate lease to get through the uncertainty of the next year will be nice. It's just a year, so whatever.

What does that mean?

A Quad Cab 4x4 V6 Tradesman with Cloth seat option and Off-Road Group. $440/mo all-in (literally everything included and unlimited miles). Off-road group is :neat: on the Tradesman as it adds a rear LOCKER, skid plates, tow hooks, fancy shocks, and off-road tires. I almost skipped the off-road group ($10/mo), but have no idea what crap I could get into up north and figured it could come in handy if I do backwoods stuff (likely). Plus, it's should be pretty badass.

Behold...full poverty spec black bumpers, door handles, steel wheels and all. Had to be blooo. A tool for a job to haul crap, pile miles on, and give zero fucks about.

:triggered: :wrong: :truckyeah:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

At the end of all dickswinging discussions about porta poddy roofs, locking axles, suspension articulation, winches, ORANJ mall truck shite lies logic: the RAM 1/2 ton.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

LIKE IT.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:16 pm At the end of all dickswinging discussions about porta poddy roofs, locking axles, suspension articulation, winches, ORANJ mall truck shite lies logic: the RAM 1/2 ton.
This was a decision that came down to heart vs head. I'm really sad to give back my whorange Jeep Truck, it's truly been my favorite vehicle ever. But given this exact stage in my life and the uncertainty over the next year, I need to think more logically. A dick swinging Jeep Truck on 35's isn't what you want to spend 20k miles/year in. But a basic no frills work truck to haul crap and beat on makes all the sense right now. Wife agreed that we'll reassess next year...I'll probably buy another Jeep truck at the end when things are more settled in general.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:30 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:16 pm At the end of all dickswinging discussions about porta poddy roofs, locking axles, suspension articulation, winches, ORANJ mall truck shite lies logic: the RAM 1/2 ton.
This was a decision that came down to heart vs head. I'm really sad to give back my whorange Jeep Truck, it's truly been my favorite vehicle ever. But given this exact stage in my life and the uncertainty over the next year, I need to think more logically. A dick swinging Jeep Truck on 35's isn't what you want to spend 20k miles/year in. But a basic no frills work truck to haul crap and beat on makes all the sense right now. Wife agreed that we'll reassess next year...I'll probably buy another Jeep truck at the end when things are more settled in general.
Trd off road is 36k all day long and comes with an ass locker, led lights, a fun manual and several fun colors. Post discount they can be as low as 34/35
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:09 pm Well, a decision has been made and an order placed...not what people will expect, but whatever.

Drove down state with :tits: yesterday, and realized that the JT just doesn't make sense for this type of driving. It's great for cruising around town, but when it comes to long highway slogs, there's better choices. Since there will be many highway slogs in the future and we have an increasing need for a truck at the new place hauling tons of crap, the decision was made to corporate lease the cheapest Ram possible. Small cab, big bed for hauling, will be used as a workhorse. Any decent used truck will be $10k these days and still require work because old car shit, so the decision to do another corporate lease to get through the uncertainty of the next year will be nice. It's just a year, so whatever.

What does that mean?

A Quad Cab 4x4 V6 Tradesman with Cloth seat option and Off-Road Group. $440/mo all-in (literally everything included and unlimited miles). Off-road group is :neat: on the Tradesman as it adds a rear LOCKER, skid plates, tow hooks, fancy shocks, and off-road tires. I almost skipped the off-road group ($10/mo), but have no idea what crap I could get into up north and figured it could come in handy if I do backwoods stuff (likely). Plus, it's should be pretty badass.

Behold...full poverty spec black bumpers, door handles, steel wheels and all. Had to be blooo. A tool for a job to haul crap, pile miles on, and give zero fucks about.

Dang ... I am not sure I like this answer but it makes sense from a utility perspective.

No Corp leases on JT?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:30 pm
Trd off road is 36k all day long and comes with an ass locker, led lights, a fun manual and several fun colors. Post discount they can be as low as 34/35
:neat:
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:16 pmLIKE IT.
You like a V6 full sizer but you hate on a v6 Jeep? :wtf:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:09 pm Well, a decision has been made and an order placed...not what people will expect, but whatever.

What does that mean?

Dang ... I am not sure I like this answer but it makes sense from a utility perspective.

No Corp leases on JT?
A JT with automatic, power windows, and porta potty top is more expensive by $50/mo. Could have gotten a :manuel: for a bit less, but it's also louder on the highway and smaller so meh. For utility purposes, the Ram makes far more sense.

It's just a year anyway. I'll likely end up in a Mojave this time next year.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:35 pm
Engine in the Ram is fine. IDGAF about speed, and won't tow more than 5k lbs tops.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:39 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:34 pm

No Corp leases on JT?
A JT with automatic, power windows, and porta potty top is more expensive by $50/mo. Could have gotten a :manuel: for a bit less, but it's also louder on the highway and smaller so meh. For utility purposes, the Ram makes far more sense.

It's just a year anyway. I'll likely end up in a Mojave this time next year.
Mojave is my perfect trim as well. Best shocks for
Comfort and no need for 4:1 low range that’s too low, and front locker to be used once every 5 years.

They are not discounted here and frequently over 60k :(
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:40 pm

Engine in the Ram is fine. IDGAF about speed, and won't tow more than 5k lbs tops.
I’m just sad about the Whorange Jeep :(
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:40 pm
I’m just sad about the Whorange Jeep :(
I am big time, but it is what it is.

As you mentioned, Mojave is the better choice anyway.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

In some weird fucked up way this is how I imagine trucks to be, and all the fancy shit is just a money grab IMO. Admittedly, I am a city slicker and don't really hang with dudes who dick swing their trucks so I haven't really been programmed to want more out of one. In fact when it comes to actually hauling stuff, I'd probably be pissed if my 50k truck got scratched. This base model "Tradesman" spec does what trucks do and saves a few bucks on monthly costs and is probably somewhat fuel miserly not to mention that it tracks better on highways then the JT. Even the black trim pieces look good, :iono:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

One is a one year proposition that will get completely trashed with commuting, lumber hauling, and maybe get washed once. The other is a 10 year rig for me. Can't do a long term Pentastar. CAN DO a one year Pentastar.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Another life chapter. Good decision.
ChrisoftheNorth

This will also be the first time in my life where I don't have a fun/interesting vehicle. Kind of hoping this is the end of wasting money on that crap, BUT if not, it could open the door to me getting a MINI or a fun car again showing sacrifice to the :tits:

Or a 2-door Wrangler.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:48 pm In some weird fucked up way this is how I imagine trucks to be, and all the fancy shit is just a money grab IMO. Admittedly, I am a city slicker and don't really hang with dudes who dick swing their trucks so I haven't really been programmed to want more out of one. In fact when it comes to actually hauling stuff, I'd probably be pissed if my 50k truck got scratched. This base model "Tradesman" spec does what trucks do and saves a few bucks on monthly costs and is probably somewhat fuel miserly not to mention that it tracks better on highways then the JT. Even the black trim pieces look good, :iono:
This is my train of thought. I've always seen appeal in bare bones "honest" work trucks, but never had one. The thing has all the basics, but nothing more. IDGAF about advanced safety, power seats, giant screens, etc in a tool that's intended to be used. I might miss heated seats and remote start, but again I really don't NEED these things. Will be an interesting test.

I honestly prefer the black parts to Chrome. I can't stand chrome. Especially with the bright ass blue color, it's a neat contrast.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:50 pm

One is a one year proposition that will get completely trashed with commuting, lumber hauling, and maybe get washed once. The other is a 10 year rig for me. Can't do a long term Pentastar. CAN DO a one year Pentastar.
This guy gets it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:56 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:50 pm

This guy gets it.
Pentastar gets a bad rap? I thought these are in everything? In4impressions