Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Welp, 7:45 AM, one of contractor's dudes was in our driveway with his van and 4 windows. He said he'd be done before noon.

:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:44 am Welp, 7:45 AM, one of contractor's dudes was in our driveway with his van and 4 windows. He said he'd be done before noon.

Why welp? He followed through. It’s a good thing
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:04 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:44 am Welp, 7:45 AM, one of contractor's dudes was in our driveway with his van and 4 windows. He said he'd be done before noon.

I was fully expecting to be ordering windows today, I was surprised to see the dude. Very glad that I don't have to, because I really didn't feel like installing them in 30 degree weather.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:44 am
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:04 am

I was fully expecting to be ordering windows today, I was surprised to see the dude. Very glad that I don't have to, because I really didn't feel like installing them in 30 degree weather.
Hope he accelerates his schedule.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:44 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:44 am
Well, now that the windows are in (hopefully), all that's left is the stucco and electrical. I have an electrician coming out to quote the job on Monday, and I'm just going to book the guy to come out and get it done if he can within the next few weeks. I've heard ZERO from the general about electrical, and I suspect he'll be happy with me taking that on so he doesn't have to. I'd actually rather work with the electrician myself so I can accurately layout what I want.

I'll just be very clear that I'm not paying for electrical per the original estimate because he hasn't had a single bit of electrical done.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:mindblown:
Good news!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:46 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:44 am

Well, now that the windows are in (hopefully), all that's left is the stucco and electrical. I have an electrician coming out to quote the job on Monday, and I'm just going to book the guy to come out and get it done if he can within the next few weeks. I've heard ZERO from the general about electrical, and I suspect he'll be happy with me taking that on so he doesn't have to. I'd actually rather work with the electrician myself so I can accurately layout what I want.

I'll just be very clear that I'm not paying for electrical per the original estimate because he hasn't had a single bit of electrical done.
If you can, try to amend your original contract noting the above and get him (and you) to initial it, on both your and his copies, if possible. Just a suggestion
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Went up to my happy place this weekend...Drummond Island. It's a 5.5 hour drive from my house, so I spent some major time in the Gladiator.

Long distances on the road:

Wind noise is certainly noticable, but still not that bad. I had no problem chatting with people via bluetooth and listening to SXM. In doing so, I spent some time tweaking the sound settings, and the base audio sounds incredibly :notbad: now. I'm really quite pleased with the audio and just am not that bothered by the wind noise.

The truck is really susceptible to wind gusts, but nowhere near as bad as other Jeeps I've driven. I think it's the wheelbase, but I didn't get tired at all during the drive...it was like driving almost like a normal truck tracking straight requiring minimal steering input...but the ZR2 was still better in this regard.

I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people want a dead pedal in these things for long distances. I spent 5 hours straight yesterday (didn't stop once) in the seat, and found it remarkably comfortable. With cruise on, both feet flat on the floor like I was sitting in a chair at home. What am I missing?

Gas mileage is :lolol: I kept cruise set at 75 and got an indicated 16mpg on the way up and 18 on the way back (happens with all my vehicles on this drive, not sure if it's elevation change, wind, :iono: )...17 ish on average. I didn't bother calcing it :butwhy: I paid $2.25 for gas at costco on the way up and again at home...it was $2.69 on an island that's only reachable by ferry.

Offroad...

It'll come as no surprise that the thing is invincible. In stock form on 33's, it did everything we tried with minimal effort in 4L or 4H. I didn't touch lockers, but did disconnect the swaybar for comfort more than anything. I was with a group of ZR2 owners, and most made it through everything with some difficulty, but I was most familiar with the trails and lead the way for most of it, and spent a lot of time spotting and helping people get through stuff.

The long wheelbase proved to be a non issue. We went through some really tight sections that made everyone nervous, and I was perfectly fine. The only thing it could benefit from is more ground clearance. I scraped just a bit underneath on various things...just a few inches would make the difference. This truck on 35's would be perfection...and 35's can bolt on with zero modifications.

The only part where it didn't shine was where I expected...high speed. We were doing 50-60 on some dirt roads and smoother trails, and the ZR2s just dominated. Can really feel the weight of the solid front axle on the front of the JT, and it's just not great driving fast off road. I think that's the one thing I miss about the ZR2 over the JT.

I now have 3,500 miles on the thing and still absolutely love it. I took the freedom panels off (in 35 degree temps) and with the windows down, and heated things and heater on, it was a really awesome experience. I love the uniqueness. Many people I encountered on the island didn't even know it existed.

:csb:
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:43 pm Went up to my happy place this weekend...Drummond Island. It's a 5.5 hour drive from my house, so I spent some major time in the Gladiator.

Wind noise is certainly noticable, but still not that bad. I had no problem chatting with people via bluetooth and listening to SXM. In doing so, I spent some time tweaking the sound settings, and the base audio sounds incredibly :notbad: now. I'm really quite pleased with the audio and just am not that bothered by the wind noise.

The truck is really susceptible to wind gusts, but nowhere near as bad as other Jeeps I've driven. I think it's the wheelbase, but I didn't get tired at all during the drive...it was like driving almost like a normal truck tracking straight requiring minimal steering input...but the ZR2 was still better in this regard.

I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people want a dead pedal in these things for long distances. I spent 5 hours straight yesterday (didn't stop once) in the seat, and found it remarkably comfortable. With cruise on, both feet flat on the floor like I was sitting in a chair at home. What am I missing?

Gas mileage is :lolol: I kept cruise set at 75 and got an indicated 16mpg on the way up and 18 on the way back (happens with all my vehicles on this drive, not sure if it's elevation change, wind, :iono: )...17 ish on average. I didn't bother calcing it :butwhy: I paid $2.25 for gas at costco on the way up and again at home...it was $2.69 on an island that's only reachable by ferry.

Offroad...

It'll come as no surprise that the thing is invincible. In stock form on 33's, it did everything we tried with minimal effort in 4L or 4H. I didn't touch lockers, but did disconnect the swaybar for comfort more than anything. I was with a group of ZR2 owners, and most made it through everything with some difficulty, but I was most familiar with the trails and lead the way for most of it, and spent a lot of time spotting and helping people get through stuff.

The long wheelbase proved to be a non issue. We went through some really tight sections that made everyone nervous, and I was perfectly fine. The only thing it could benefit from is more ground clearance. I scraped just a bit underneath on various things...just a few inches would make the difference. This truck on 35's would be perfection...and 35's can bolt on with zero modifications.

The only part where it didn't shine was where I expected...high speed. We were doing 50-60 on some dirt roads and smoother trails, and the ZR2s just dominated. Can really feel the weight of the solid front axle on the front of the JT, and it's just not great driving fast off road. I think that's the one thing I miss about the ZR2 over the JT.

I now have 3,500 miles on the thing and still absolutely love it. I took the freedom panels off (in 35 degree temps) and with the windows down, and heated things and heater on, it was a really awesome experience. I love the uniqueness. Many people I encountered on the island didn't even know it existed.

Sounds like a great time ! Pics. ?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:43 pm Went up to my happy place this weekend...Drummond Island. It's a 5.5 hour drive from my house, so I spent some major time in the Gladiator.

Offroad...

I've got a bunch, but it takes significant effort to post them at work, so...we'll see if I find some time at home.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:16 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 pm
I've got a bunch, but it takes significant effort to post them at work, so...we'll see if I find some time at home.
:rage: ok . I wanna see that island again. It looked pretty epic last time
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

MOAR PICS OF ACTUAL GAYRAGE
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:16 pm
It was all covered in snow, so a bit of a different take from last time. The water crossings we went through were covered in ~2" thick ice...not enough to hold a vehicle, so you'd drive out a bit, hear cracking, and crash down. Pretty sketchy and awesome at the same time. I had chunks of ice riding on my bumper all the way home yesterday.

Water levels are really high too. A number of places we used to walk on are under water now. Which is actually kind of neat looking because the water is crystal clear. Record rain and snowfall lately.
max225

dubshow wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:20 pm MOAR PICS OF ACTUAL GAYRAGE
Hey MANG, one thing at a time.
ChrisoftheNorth

I need to work on that too.

Windows are all in...electrician is scheduled. They're going to trench Friday morning because they're worried about freezing...then they'll finish the inside in 2 weeks.

100amp sub panel to garage to future proof for electric car charging and expandability. Out last house only had 100 amp service. We're fortunate that the previous owner of our house upgraded to 200 amp service when they redid the electrical.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:23 pm

It was all covered in snow, so a bit of a different take from last time. The water crossings we went through were covered in ~2" thick ice...not enough to hold a vehicle, so you'd drive out a bit, hear cracking, and crash down. Pretty sketchy and awesome at the same time. I had chunks of ice riding on my bumper all the way home yesterday.

Water levels are really high too. A number of places we used to walk on are under water now. Which is actually kind of neat looking because the water is crystal clear. Record rain and snowfall lately.
I wanna wheel too, so at least I’m going do to vicariously do it. Don’t take that away from me ! :rage: :waiting:
Last edited by max225 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

The electrician gave us the ultimate compliment for our garage this morning...he walked inside and said "holy shit, I thought this was an old garage you were bringing up to code! It's like a new barn in here".

:zing: :mahman:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:25 pm
I need to work on that too.

Windows are all in...electrician is scheduled. They're going to trench Friday morning because they're worried about freezing...then they'll finish the inside in 2 weeks.

100amp sub panel to garage to future proof for electric car charging and expandability. Out last house only had 100 amp service. We're fortunate that the previous owner of our house upgraded to 200 amp service when they redid the electrical.
:fuckyeah: thats the stuff that gets me :excited:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:26 pm

I wanna wheel too, so at least I’m going do to vicariously do it. Don’t take that away from me ! :rage: :waiting:
:lolol: I should be able to find some time tonight or tomorrow morning. Fucking work won't even let me have wifi for my personal cell phone, and I don't have cell reception. With google images not working all the time, and the site plug-in blocked, I'm out of options.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Did you have a black Bison in your group? Saw a guy post a YouTube vid in a facetubes group. I’ll watch later for Buck Buck.

Edit: You did!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zcfV03M ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Apex on Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Trip sounds freaking awesome :fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Did you have a black Bison in your group? Saw a guy post a YouTube vid in a facetubes group. I’ll watch later for Buck Buck.

Edit: You did!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zcfV03M ... e=youtu.be
Yep, that's my buddy who lives in Traverse City. He just got the Bison a few weeks back. He really enjoys the YouTube stuff, but I left him in the dust a few times while he was filming because I'm impatient :whocares:
ChrisoftheNorth

Looks like he caught me in a few shots. That video captures the island perfectly...better than any of my photos could do.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:22 am Looks like he caught me in a few shots. That video captures the island perfectly...better than any of my photos could do.
We’re you in the tan colored hoodie/jacket?

Also, looks like an epic trip. 5/7 want to check it out sometime!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:45 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:22 am Looks like he caught me in a few shots. That video captures the island perfectly...better than any of my photos could do.
We’re you in the tan colored hoodie/jacket?

Also, looks like an epic trip. 5/7 want to check it out sometime!
Nope, I was wearing a green hoodie with a bunch of thermal layers underneath...I don't really do coats unless 100% necessary.

I don't think he got me on camera outside of the truck. I will probably show up on his channel more as we have more wheeling trips planned. High likelihood of something next week over thanksgiving weekend.