Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:50 pm The vinyl looks brand new, glad you and the missis can finally enjoy your boat! IMO it is 5/7 worth the effort having that lake to your disposal.
The vinyl looks brand new because it basically is. Aunt had the entire boat reupholstered 5 years ago, and used it maybe 2-3x per year while it was covered and under a carport the rest of the time.

I need to find a good vinyl cleaner. I left it uncovered while we waited for the hoist to be ready and trees dropped crap on the boat (long story). I cleaned it thoroughly, but there's still some stubborn spots. The vinyl is stark white, which is good for cleaning (can't ruin the color), but it shows a few light brown spots from :notsure: that I'm having a bear of a time getting out after trying a few vinyl cleaners I already have. The boat will stay clean now, the awning is supposed to go on the hoist today. :excited:

Easy access to lake michigan like this is somewhat surreal. It was wild dropping the boat in and being on the vast water within minutes.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I need a boat now. :jelly:

So stoked to hear you enjoying it, Big D!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:26 pm I need a boat now. :jelly:

So stoked to hear you enjoying it, Big D!
So far, so good!

I'll say though, I'd have zero interest if I didn't have the hoist on the water 5 minutes from my house. To me, the convenience is what makes the experience so great. Constantly dealing with storing, hauling, launching, etc would ruin it for me and I wouldn't bother.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:22 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:50 pm The vinyl looks brand new, glad you and the missis can finally enjoy your boat! IMO it is 5/7 worth the effort having that lake to your disposal.
The vinyl looks brand new because it basically is. Aunt had the entire boat reupholstered 5 years ago, and used it maybe 2-3x per year while it was covered and under a carport the rest of the time.

I need to find a good vinyl cleaner. I left it uncovered while we waited for the hoist to be ready and trees dropped crap on the boat (long story). I cleaned it thoroughly, but there's still some stubborn spots. The vinyl is stark white, which is good for cleaning (can't ruin the color), but it shows a few light brown spots from :notsure: that I'm having a bear of a time getting out after trying a few vinyl cleaners I already have. The boat will stay clean now, the awning is supposed to go on the hoist today. :excited:

Easy access to lake michigan like this is somewhat surreal. It was wild dropping the boat in and being on the vast water within minutes.
The good thing about having white vinyl, is that it'll be easy to match in the future. The feeling of remorse that you express when a nice thing starts to wear is why I don't want to have nice new things anymore, my phone screen is scratched, my computer is scratched and has a Chinese battery that never says 100% when it's charged, my car has dents/scratches on all but two panels, my cottage gets raped by guests, house has cracked stamped concrete front and back, even the tree I planted got fucked by an edger that my kid thought would be funny to whack when he was "helping" me mow the lawn. Nothing that I own is mint and I've made peace with it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

All of this is outstanding.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

It really is. Nice to see members enjoying life vs selling everything and driving pos vehicles while cucking with awful sig others
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:22 pm

The good thing about having white vinyl, is that it'll be easy to match in the future. The feeling of remorse that you express when a nice thing starts to wear is why I don't want to have nice new things anymore, my phone screen is scratched, my computer is scratched and has a Chinese battery that never says 100% when it's charged, my car has dents/scratches on all but two panels, my cottage gets raped by guests, house has cracked stamped concrete front and back, even the tree I planted got fucked by an edger that my kid thought would be funny to whack when he was "helping" me mow the lawn. Nothing that I own is mint and I've made peace with it.
I agree, I actually like when things aren't perfect because it takes that level of remorse out when inevitable "damage" occurs. The boat has scratches, there's some cracking in the gelcoat along the gunwale on the port side, it's still nice, but well loved and ready for more love. Boat vinyl can get trashed fast, so it's nice to be starting with mostly new there, but even then it has a few scuffs and imperfections here and there that make the brown spots a bit more :aintcare: I'll try another cleaner and if that doesn't work, I'll just :aintcare: and enjoy the boat.

I blew way too much money on a new sound system in it, all new stuff that was probably dumb on the surface, but holy hell it sounds fantastic. Music is a big part of our lives, so having a banging system in the boat is an excellent enhancement.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:12 pm It really is. Nice to see members enjoying life vs selling everything and driving pos vehicles while cucking with awful sig others
It's about balance. I sold/got rid of any semi interesting road vehicles I've had, down to one vehicle that both the wife and I hate, but it gets the job done. I did this as an experiment to see if I like other toys more. The boat is cheaper than any fun car I can think of, even in long term ownership. Insurance is dirt cheap, registration is dirt cheap, and the engine is a small block chevy that's incredibly easy/simple/cheap to work on. And really, blasting around on open water is way more fun to me than blasting on shitty roads, constantly watching out for cops, animals, people, etc. It's why I like off-roading too. But with the cost of off-road vehicles now, I still think I'd rather have a CT tool truck and a side by side eventually.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Maaaaaan I need a day on the lake soon. Glad to see you using it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:20 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:07 pm

I agree, I actually like when things aren't perfect because it takes that level of remorse out when inevitable "damage" occurs. The boat has scratches, there's some cracking in the gelcoat along the gunwale on the port side, it's still nice, but well loved and ready for more love. Boat vinyl can get trashed fast, so it's nice to be starting with mostly new there, but even then it has a few scuffs and imperfections here and there that make the brown spots a bit more :aintcare: I'll try another cleaner and if that doesn't work, I'll just :aintcare: and enjoy the boat.

I blew way too much money on a new sound system in it, all new stuff that was probably dumb on the surface, but holy hell it sounds fantastic. Music is a big part of our lives, so having a banging system in the boat is an excellent enhancement.
:iono: we went out on our friend's pontoon a few weeks ago, it was a lot of fun but the stereo doesn't work, so we used a BT speaker. It was pretty damn lame, tunes are key on a boat. I'd say it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Glad to see you enjoying and :impressive: on the "boat :dock: " (pun intended? :hue: ).
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:58 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:20 am

:iono: we went out on our friend's pontoon a few weeks ago, it was a lot of fun but the stereo doesn't work, so we used a BT speaker. It was pretty damn lame, tunes are key on a boat. I'd say it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Glad to see you enjoying and :impressive: on the "boat :dock: " (pun intended? :hue: ).
Our boat had the original JVC Marine stereo from 2001. CD player with 2 whimpy 6.5" speakers up front. That was it. I don't have CDs anymore and the local radio stations kind of blow, so I wanted an upgrade to the headunit. The speakers actually sounded decent, but "while I was in there".

The highest powered marine headunit Sony makes combined with Infinity Kappa 6.5" up front and 8's in the rear under the back seat make for :impressive: sound. Bluetooth connectivity is :megusta: too. I think it was worth it over using a lame little bluetooth speaker. Still lighting money on fire :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, and the speakers have RGB LED illumination. I have a controller to hook all that up for full pimp mode.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I found your next ride, Goose.

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:amaze: :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:48 am I found your next ride, Goose.

Wow … can’t wait to see these with trump airbrushed on the side with an ar15
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:26 pm

It looks fun as hell, but yea...

I don't understand why there's such a strong correlation between water sports and trump loving.

Last weekend we took the boat to a sand bar on a nature preserve with some friends. We anchored in 73 degree waist deep water on sand and hung out. Anyone would enjoy the scene, politics had nothing to do with basic pleasant relaxation. Then, we watched a dude with his family drive out in a similar boat, anchor a bit over from us, then spend 20 minutes hanging his FUCK BIDEN flag from his bimini just right. He spent more time getting the flag perfect than he took anchoring the boat correctly, and every 15 minutes he'd have to move the boat as it dragged the anchor toward the shore. Great priorities. Watching kids jump off the back of the boat under the perfectly hung "FUCK BIDEN" flag was equal parts :wat: :impressive: :disgust: That much passion for hatred in what should just be a chill relaxing scene is incredible.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:05 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:26 pm

I don't understand why there's such a strong correlation between water sports and trump loving.

Last weekend we took the boat to a sand bar on a nature preserve with some friends. We anchored in 73 degree waist deep water on sand and hung out. Anyone would enjoy the scene, politics had nothing to do with basic pleasant relaxation. Then, we watched a dude with his family drive out in a similar boat, anchor a bit over from us, then spend 20 minutes hanging his FUCK BIDEN flag from his bimini just right. He spent more time getting the flag perfect than he took anchoring the boat correctly, and every 15 minutes he'd have to move the boat as it dragged the anchor toward the shore. Great priorities. Watching kids jump off the back of the boat under the perfectly hung "FUCK BIDEN" flag was equal parts :wat: :impressive: :disgust: That much passion for hatred in what should just be a chill relaxing scene is incredible.
No different than flying rainbow and blm flags all over the place. I wish people kept their :fullretard: opinions to themselves in public.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:11 pm

No different than flying rainbow and blm flags all over the place. I wish people kept their :fullretard: opinions to themselves in public.
The only difference is I've never seen a rainbow or BLM flag flying from a boat...ever. Though to be fair, for some reason on our bay there's very few boats flying flags at all, that FUCK BIDEN guy was an outlier. I just want to relax and splash in the water, IDGAF about politics or social issues there.

I really wish people would keep their personal opinions to themselves. I hate the way ALL political signs look, and now flags have become permanent political sign statements. I don't care if I agree or not, it's ugly and I don't want to see it.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:20 pm

The only difference is I've never seen a rainbow or BLM flag flying from a boat...ever. Though to be fair, for some reason on our bay there's very few boats flying flags at all, that FUCK BIDEN guy was an outlier. I just want to relax and splash in the water, IDGAF about politics or social issues there.

I really wish people would keep their personal opinions to themselves. I hate the way ALL political signs look, and now flags have become permanent political sign statements. I don't care if I agree or not, it's ugly and I don't want to see it.
:dat:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

These look fun as hell....... but at the risk of sounding like an :wap: (an Old, not you Fappy) ..... I would only run one of these on very open water. In a crowded environment, they look like death traps.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:35 pm

These look fun as hell....... but at the risk of sounding like an :wap: (an Old, not you Fappy) ..... I would only run one of these on very open water. In a crowded environment, they look like death traps.
I've been called a :pussy: by a few friends because I refuse to be under the influence of anything when I'm captain. AT MOST I'll have one light beer, and only when we first arrive at a destination that I know we'll be at for hours. I've seen more scary scenes in my first few months as a boater than I care to admit to, and as such I absolutely must keep all my senses sharp. I have what I consider to be a healthy fear (maybe respect is a better word) of the water that I just can't shake. I have plenty of fun, but take it seriously. Some say too seriously. :iono:

Because of what I've seen, I'm not even interested in PWC, let alone one of these. Looks like fun in the video, but pretty scary IRL.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Except for hanging the F Bomb in front of your CF. Stay classy bruh.
My HOA has a LOT of Rainbow flags. :foreveralone:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:39 pm

Except for hanging the F Bomb in front of your CF. Stay classy bruh.
My HOA has a LOT of Rainbow flags. :foreveralone:
:pouroneout:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:59 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:35 pm

I've been called a :pussy: by a few friends because I refuse to be under the influence of anything when I'm captain. AT MOST I'll have one light beer, and only when we first arrive at a destination that I know we'll be at for hours. I've seen more scary scenes in my first few months as a boater than I care to admit to, and as such I absolutely must keep all my senses sharp. I have what I consider to be a healthy fear (maybe respect is a better word) of the water that I just can't shake. I have plenty of fun, but take it seriously. Some say too seriously. :iono:

Because of what I've seen, I'm not even interested in PWC, let alone one of these. Looks like fun in the video, but pretty scary IRL.
As do I, healthy fear of what can happen on the water, especially with a multitude of:derp: but I still go like a a bat out of hell if the opportunity presents itself....

I am the same way with cars....

This PWC is way too :waxer: anyhow...

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2019-se ... l-7871070/
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:59 pm

As do I, healthy fear of what can happen on the water, especially with a multitude of:derp: but I still go like a a bat out of hell if the opportunity presents itself....

I am the same way with cars....

This PWC is way too :waxer: anyhow...

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2019-se ... l-7871070/
The Seabreacher looks like a way to flex on your wealthy lakefront neighbors, which will then end in a products liablity wrongful death lawsuit when little Jimmy ends up at the bottom of the lake because he couldn't pop the hatch.