Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Welp, got the boat in lake MI, just not in our bay at our lift. I did some measurements, and our hoist was placed too far forward so the boat would hit the dock when on it. I can't move it myself, dock company has apparently ghosted our hood, but since hoist install is the HOA responsibility, they're finding someone else. No idea how long it'll be.

So, our buddy who's a seasoned boater convinced us to take this time to explore different water with it. We launched yesterday in the west leg of grand traverse bay, without realizing a storm was rolling in. Got into open water and met with 3' waves, wife was loving the "adventure" I was scared shitless and turned around. Went back in the bay where it was calm and chilled. Getting really comfortable launching and loading the boat on the trailer, tomorrow we're going to one of the most popular inland lakes in the area, torch lake. 33 miles long, shallow, many call it "the Caribbean of the Midwest". I didn't take pics yesterday, but will tomorrow.

Boat is running awesome, it really likes the new thermostat allowing it to run at operating temp. The outdrive used to clunk going in and out of "gear", that's gone after I changed the oil and now that the entire assembly is getting hotter with the engine. Bitch is POWERFUL, buddy suggested WOT to get on plane then back off to cruising speed... that sure is :lolol: with the 5.0 V8 roaring back there.

The other thing is the handling. Yes, handling. The thing really turns quickly if you want, and it's amazing the Gs it can pull of you really get into it. Its getting more fun the more comfortable I get with it. Can't wait to explore more lakes before the hoist home is ready.

I dare say, this is more fun than any fun car I've had. Plus the freedom to do whatever you want and deem safe, no looking out for cops when speeding or whatever. I like it.

I only wish I had a different truck. Towing the boat one time one way, the CT is OK. Towing it all over the region regularly it's going to get old fast. That thing sucks so hard.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:22 am Welp, got the boat in lake MI, just not in our bay at our lift. I did some measurements, and our hoist was placed too far forward so the boat would hit the dock when on it. I can't move it myself, dock company has apparently ghosted our hood, but since hoist install is the HOA responsibility, they're finding someone else. No idea how long it'll be.

So, our buddy who's a seasoned boater convinced us to take this time to explore different water with it. We launched yesterday in the west leg of grand traverse bay, without realizing a storm was rolling in. Got into open water and met with 3' waves, wife was loving the "adventure" I was scared shitless and turned around. Went back in the bay where it was calm and chilled. Getting really comfortable launching and loading the boat on the trailer, tomorrow we're going to one of the most popular inland lakes in the area, torch lake. 33 miles long, shallow, many call it "the Caribbean of the Midwest". I didn't take pics yesterday, but will tomorrow.

Boat is running awesome, it really likes the new thermostat allowing it to run at operating temp. The outdrive used to clunk going in and out of "gear", that's gone after I changed the oil and now that the entire assembly is getting hotter with the engine. Bitch is POWERFUL, buddy suggested WOT to get on plane then back off to cruising speed... that sure is :lolol: with the 5.0 V8 roaring back there.

The other thing is the handling. Yes, handling. The thing really turns quickly if you want, and it's amazing the Gs it can pull of you really get into it. Its getting more fun the more comfortable I get with it. Can't wait to explore more lakes before the hoist home is ready.

I dare say, this is more fun than any fun car I've had. Plus the freedom to do whatever you want and deem safe, no looking out for cops when speeding or whatever. I like it.

I only wish I had a different truck. Towing the boat one time one way, the CT is OK. Towing it all over the region regularly it's going to get old fast. That thing sucks so hard.
So much :fuckyeah: for the boat! Can’t wait to hear of more stories and adventures with it!

The CT can go kick rocks. Replacement can’t come soon enough it seems. How would you feel towing the boat with your prior JT?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:22 am Welp, got the boat in lake MI, just not in our bay at our lift. I did some measurements, and our hoist was placed too far forward so the boat would hit the dock when on it. I can't move it myself, dock company has apparently ghosted our hood, but since hoist install is the HOA responsibility, they're finding someone else. No idea how long it'll be.

Good thinking. The answer to "what can happen?" to a 20 foot boat on the Great Lakes is not a happy ending. Glad you are enjoying it. Also :amazing: on the second bolded.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:10 am

Good thinking. The answer to "what can happen?" to a 20 foot boat on the Great Lakes is not a happy ending. Glad you are enjoying it. Also :amazing: on the second bolded.
My buddy with us said we were in the worst we should attempt to be in with our 21 foot boat. Wife claims she was in worse on the Pacific in our boat back when the aunt first bought it, we were :notsure: on that claim.

It's good that I know what the water looks like and what to do.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:18 am https://www.touristsecrets.com/destinat ... orch-lake/

Most interesting.
Yep, going there tomorrow. Public boat launch is 45 min from our house. :excited:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:24 am

So much :fuckyeah: for the boat! Can’t wait to hear of more stories and adventures with it!

The CT can go kick rocks. Replacement can’t come soon enough it seems. How would you feel towing the boat with your prior JT?
I think the JT would do better, but not ideal. We'll see how it goes, but I suspect I'll like the boat more than any truck or Jeep, so just ending up with something that tows well is the likely path. Wife still wants a SxS too.

Pretty sure I'll just get another fullsizer, but with 3.92 gears and a Hemi. That wouldn't even notice the boat.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:00 pm

I think the JT would do better, but not ideal. We'll see how it goes, but I suspect I'll like the boat more than any truck or Jeep, so just ending up with something that tows well is the likely path. Wife still wants a SxS too.

Pretty sure I'll just get another fullsizer, but with 3.92 gears and a Hemi. That wouldn't even notice the boat.
:nice: glad to see some positivity on the boat!

Hemi running 3.92s is the way.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat: +1 on the :fuckyeah:

CuckTruck will be gone soon enough, at least it's temporary, and when towing around locally, you'll spend far more time on the water than in the :truk:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat:
Really glad you're enjoying it so far.
:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:23 pm

:dat: +1 on the :fuckyeah:

CuckTruck will be gone soon enough, at least it's temporary, and when towing around locally, you'll spend far more time on the water than in the :truk:
It's actually worse around town than cruising. It's complete lack of low end is really shitty around town. But yea, temporary and it's worth the effort, whatever.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I can appreciate the "Oh Shit" moment when the waves began to pick up. That happened with my 17 footer when I decided to venture into towards Lake Ontario from the St Lawrence Seaway...

Frankly, I had no business on that sized river in that sized boat and next to no experience.

But Providence stepped in and sent a storm that chased me back to the docks before we ever set propeller in the Mighty Lake.

PS: Your buddy is 100% right about WOT to get on a plane....and then backing off...... puts a lot less wear and tear on things by having almost all of the boat on top of the water rather than wallowing in it....
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:52 pm

I can appreciate the "Oh Shit" moment when the waves began to pick up. That happened with my 17 footer when I decided to venture into towards Lake Ontario from the St Lawrence Seaway...

Frankly, I had no business on that sized river in that sized boat and next to no experience.

But Providence stepped in and sent a storm that chased me back to the docks before we ever set propeller in the Mighty Lake.

PS: Your buddy is 100% right about WOT to get on a plane....and then backing off...... puts a lot less wear and tear on things by having almost all of the boat on top of the water rather than wallowing in it....
It's amazing how quickly the water can change and get unfriendly. I have immense respect (and decent fear) for it.

We didn't get the boat in the water last weekend. We had a wicked south wind, which is really rare, that whipped up the waters even on inland lakes making boating really not fun. It was in the 90's and dry, perfect boating weather but the water conditions kept people away. Boat launches were empty, nobody wanted to risk being out on the unpredictable water.

Our boat still isn't in the water. I mentioned somewhere that our hoist is too close to the dock to be usable. I got in the water to try to move it myself, but that was a :lolol: :yeahok: A neighbor has offered to help, but finding a time that works for both of us when the water is calm is proving to be nearly impossible. The company that installed the docks and hoists has ghosted us, but we found out it's because our HOA PAID THEM and are now demanding payment from us. Um, I don't pay for a job that's not done on my house, I'm not paying for a job that's not done on the water. Wife got so mad that she joined the water committee on the HOA and is working to never use this dock company again and somehow force them out to fix their errors. All the people currently on the water committee have their boats in the water so they don't care to keep pushing. They're old people who have "been doing it this way forever" and "we just need to be more patient". Easy for you fuckers to say. There's at least 5 others in our exact position, so wife is fighting for a fix for everyone. She's going to attempt to take control of the water front using other screwed over neighbors for support, which is mounting quickly. It's going to be :popcorn: These old people are going to get mowed over, they have no idea how tenacious Michele can be.

Still debating selling the boat while I could make a solid profit on it. By the time we get it in and everything settled, we'll just have to pull it back out and put it in storage. We're almost half way through June with no resolution in sight...I'm really having difficulty seeing the point of something that's barely used. It's just sitting in the street getting dirtier/more sunbeaten by the day.
Irish

How frequent is bad enough weather that a hoist is essential? Or is your dock too exposed to waves that it is always essential?
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:09 am How frequent is bad enough weather that a hoist is essential? Or is your dock too exposed to waves that it is always essential?
Yes, while our bay is calm, it's still lake Michigan and rough/strong water potential is high and happens frequently. This weekend when we wanted to try to move my hoist, we were getting 2 foot waves at the dock and the current was so strong it was difficult to stand in. Nobody has a boat on the water without a hoist, there aren't even cleats on our docks to tie a boat to, the docks are barely stable enough to walk on.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:22 am

It's amazing how quickly the water can change and get unfriendly. I have immense respect (and decent fear) for it.

We didn't get the boat in the water last weekend. We had a wicked south wind, which is really rare, that whipped up the waters even on inland lakes making boating really not fun. It was in the 90's and dry, perfect boating weather but the water conditions kept people away. Boat launches were empty, nobody wanted to risk being out on the unpredictable water.

Our boat still isn't in the water. I mentioned somewhere that our hoist is too close to the dock to be usable. I got in the water to try to move it myself, but that was a :lolol: :yeahok: A neighbor has offered to help, but finding a time that works for both of us when the water is calm is proving to be nearly impossible. The company that installed the docks and hoists has ghosted us, but we found out it's because our HOA PAID THEM and are now demanding payment from us. Um, I don't pay for a job that's not done on my house, I'm not paying for a job that's not done on the water. Wife got so mad that she joined the water committee on the HOA and is working to never use this dock company again and somehow force them out to fix their errors. All the people currently on the water committee have their boats in the water so they don't care to keep pushing. They're old people who have "been doing it this way forever" and "we just need to be more patient". Easy for you fuckers to say. There's at least 5 others in our exact position, so wife is fighting for a fix for everyone. She's going to attempt to take control of the water front using other screwed over neighbors for support, which is mounting quickly. It's going to be :popcorn: These old people are going to get mowed over, they have no idea how tenacious Michele can be.

Still debating selling the boat while I could make a solid profit on it. By the time we get it in and everything settled, we'll just have to pull it back out and put it in storage. We're almost half way through June with no resolution in sight...I'm really having difficulty seeing the point of something that's barely used. It's just sitting in the street getting dirtier/more sunbeaten by the day.
Michele is going to earn her "Infamous" sobriquet in a whole new area of Meatchicken! :lol:

Go her!

Also, patience on selling the boat. With all due :wub: and respect, calm your :pout: . This great :alpo: :dill: fell into your lap. It would be foolish, IMO, to just dump it because of these short term hassles. :tits: is in the game now and will likely get satisfaction soon enough, based on her track record. Even if you "only" get a couple months on the water this season, you'll likely love it enough to want to keep it for at least another year. And once the hoist is fixed you'll get that much of a head start next year.

My worthless $.02...

Edit, can you just throw a tarp over it to keep the sun and dirt off of it?
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:01 pm

Michele is going to earn her "Infamous" sobriquet in a whole new area of Meatchicken! :lol:

Go her!

Also, patience on selling the boat. With all due :wub: and respect, calm your :pout: . This great :alpo: :dill: fell into your lap. It would be foolish, IMO, to just dump it because of these short term hassles. :tits: is in the game now and will likely get satisfaction soon enough, based on her track record. Even if you "only" get a couple months on the water this season, you'll likely love it enough to want to keep it for at least another year. And once the hoist is fixed you'll get that much of a head start next year.

My worthless $.02...

No, you're right. I've just worked hard at getting rid of anything in my life that isn't used all the time, and the boat goes directly against that.

The boat came with a cover, but I found out the hard way that it's not waterproof. I ordered a waterproof cover that should be here any day. What sucks is I don't really need it once it's on the hoist because the hoist has an awning that will keep the boat dry/clean. In an ideal world, it would go straight from the hoist to storage and vice versa, but that's not working out.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:26 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:01 pm

Go her!

My worthless $.02...

No, you're right. I've just worked hard at getting rid of anything in my life that isn't used all the time, and the boat goes directly against that.

The boat came with a cover, but I found out the hard way that it's not waterproof. I ordered a waterproof cover that should be here any day. What sucks is I don't really need it once it's on the hoist because the hoist has an awning that will keep the boat dry/clean. In an ideal world, it would go straight from the hoist to storage and vice versa, but that's not working out...
...YET.

:word: :doe: It's frustrating AF, but it'll soon be behind you and forgotten the first time you're :drunk: on the lake. :megusta:

Anything as truly :fuckyeah: as an (almost) free (relatively speaking) boat is worth a little hassle at the outset.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:26 pm

The boat came with a cover, but I found out the hard way that it's not waterproof. I ordered a waterproof cover that should be here any day. What sucks is I don't really need it once it's on the hoist because the hoist has an awning that will keep the boat dry/clean. In an ideal world, it would go straight from the hoist to storage and vice versa, but that's not working out...
...YET.

:word: :doe: It's frustrating AF, but it'll soon be behind you and forgotten the first time you're :drunk: on the lake. :megusta:

Anything as truly :fuckyeah: as an (almost) free (relatively speaking) boat is worth a little hassle at the outset.
It cost enough to make me care about it, and get :rage: when it just sits there doing nothing. I wish I could fit it in my garage, but the garage is just too low. My cover is supposed to be delivered today, so at least the boat will be covered from here on out.

But yes, hopefully the :rage: will be behind us soon. Michele is going to blow the HOA up, she's talking about taking over as president (the current pres was just elected to pres of her kid's school board and wants out). She's gaining support by the hour because many others are pissed about the water situation and the HOA is just :aintcare: because they're all personally not impacted. She'll fix the waterfront, become president, then disband a lot of the HOA :bs: nobody cares about in favor of things people do...making the water front nice and usable for everyone, not just the HOA board members.

:popcorn: This sleepy little northern MI neighborhood has no idea what's coming at it.
Irish

Her-ricane Michele is a-coming....

Queen Infamous of the Lower Peninsula, First of Her Name, Breaker of HOA's, Slayer of Olds

Long may she reign.....

PS Keep the boat....

shocker I know, but I agree with everything :wap: said...

Its going to add a facet to your life that you never had.... only time will tell if its enough to warrant the hassle...... But there is only one way to find out.....

For me, I Loved it so much I hauled the 17 footer 7.5 hours to a rented house with a slip and we were on the river multiple times, every day ...... tubing, docking at restaurants, docking in Alexandria Bay ( cool town on the river with a municipal marina).

Then I bought a bigger boat and hauled it 4 hours to Ocean City Maryland to another rented house (with a slip).

The rest of the times were all day trips to the Susquehanna River and Lake Raystown.

Point being that hauling, launching and trailering are the biggest downsides/hassles to boat ownership and once you get your hoist squared away, those go by the bayside... ;-)

Crazy for a youngish, mechanically inclined, adventurous dude that lives on a lake not to have a boat (or at least to give one a good, fair tryout)......

Just my $0.02
Last edited by Irish on Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apex

Irish wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:59 pm Her-ricane Michele is a-coming....

Queen Infamous of the Lower Peninsula, First of Her Name, Breaker of HOA's, Slayer of Olds

Long may she reign.....
wap

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:17 pm
Irish wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:59 pm Her-ricane Michele is a-coming....

Long may she reign.....
:amaze:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Don't you have it covered?
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:05 pm

The cover that came with it isn't water proof...rain water just soaks right through it and floods the boat. I'd rather leave that off so the boat can air out after rain. My waterproof cover is supposed to be delivered today, so that will go on as soon as it's on.

BUT

Michele has been lighting up the world, and supposedly the hoist company is going to meet us at our hoist at 9am tomorrow to get it setup with the boat and everything. We're waking up early to launch the boat, and we'll see what happens. I'm fully expecting them to ghost us.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:47 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:05 pm [/size][/b]

The cover that came with it isn't water proof...rain water just soaks right through it and floods the boat. I'd rather leave that off so the boat can air out after rain. My waterproof cover is supposed to be delivered today, so that will go on as soon as it's on.

BUT

Michele has been lighting up the world, and supposedly the hoist company is going to meet us at our hoist at 9am tomorrow to get it setup with the boat and everything. We're waking up early to launch the boat, and we'll see what happens. I'm fully expecting them to ghost us.
:fuckyeah: :excited:
In4updates