Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:56 pm
This guy gets it.
Pentastar gets a bad rap? I thought these are in everything? In4impressions
It's a great engine, just most opt for 8 cylinders on a full size truck because bigger is better. I don't want/need bigger in that case, I value better efficiency, and the V6 is FINE

I had a 4.3 V6 Silverado and towed my dad's CTS-V Wagon from Dallas to Detroit with no issues. Everyone thought we were crazy, big engines aren't NEEDED, they're WANTED.

This is a truck decision based entirely on NEED
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This guy gets it.
They are

1. Adequate
2. Perfectly Fine
3. Plenty of Power
4. Don't really need any more.
5. Plenty of power for 95% of uses.

Looking for a little more is all.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:05 pm

It's a great engine, just most opt for 8 cylinders on a full size truck because bigger is better. I don't want/need bigger in that case, I value better efficiency, and the V6 is FINE

I had a 4.3 V6 Silverado and towed my dad's CTS-V Wagon from Dallas to Detroit with no issues. Everyone thought we were crazy, big engines aren't NEEDED, they're WANTED.

This is a truck decision based entirely on NEED
I misunderstood the convo to be a case of reliability, V6 is fine for a rental truck!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Waits for 392 Wrangler. :sad:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:07 pm

They are

1. Adequate
2. Perfectly Fine
3. Plenty of Power

Gotcha, a V8 makes sense for a long term ownership thing you actually like and wanna hear burbles and pull the occasional tree stump. I bet if any of us took the V6 for a spin we wouldn't miss the extra power, my wife has a 268 HP 3.6L V6 in her Touareg which is a pig of a vehicle and we rarely ever need to push it beyond 4000rpm. Hell, I don't even put the "recommended" gas in it, 87 octane donkey piss for life.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:notbad: It's only a year and seems pretty affordable/utilitarian. It frees up future :plac: moves as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:52 pm This will also be the first time in my life where I don't have a fun/interesting vehicle. Kind of hoping this is the end of wasting money on that crap, BUT if not, it could open the door to me getting a MINI or a fun car again showing sacrifice to the :tits:

Or a 2-door Wrangler.
Stop trying to stomp out a part of yourself. Nothing :wrong: with going for a cheap/sensible thing for a bit, but why the desire to not be a car guy when you're a car guy? Especially now when you live somewhere where both a :jeep: or something like a :meata: , :poorvette: , etc. would be so much more enjoyable than in the D.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:52 pm This will also be the first time in my life where I don't have a fun/interesting vehicle. Kind of hoping this is the end of wasting money on that crap, BUT if not, it could open the door to me getting a MINI or a fun car again showing sacrifice to the :tits:

Or a 2-door Wrangler.
Stop trying to stomp out a part of yourself. Nothing :wrong: with going for a cheap/sensible thing for a bit, but why the desire to not be a car guy when you're a car guy? Especially now when you live somewhere where both a :jeep: or something like a :meata: , :poorvette: , etc. would be so much more enjoyable than in the D.
:dat: Which is particularly inane when he has no cf and ain't ever gonna. It's not like Chris is feeding his kids frozen peas cuz the last of the paycheck is tied up in Charger gas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:30 pm

:dat: Which is particularly inane when he has no cf and ain't ever gonna. It's not like Chris is feeding his kids frozen peas cuz the last of the paycheck is tied up in Charger gas.
:dat: I don't really understand when the means are there and the desire is there.

I get the :scrooge: , I've been driving the same shitty C5 for over six years, but still have a lot of fun with it. It doesn't need to be a $75K C8.
ChrisoftheNorth

Or a 2-door Wrangler.
Wife hates it...it's a constant battle for me. She hated all the cars I had when we met. She hated the Corvette. She hates and refuses to try to try to understand fun cars. She's an instant :nope: on being a 3 vehicle household, and northern MI is not the place to drive a fun car 365 days a year. The JT is the perfect answer...a fun 365 vehicle that does everything, but that's not an option right now. Too many financial balls in the air, lots of driving potential on the horizon, etc.

Objectively, they're money pits and a waste of resources both time and money. Plus the uphill battle with the wife, it's easier to just acquiesce and find another hobby. Camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing, etc all I can do in the poverty truck and I live in a mecca for all those things.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:13 pm Waits for 392 Wrangler. :sad:
Only 70k bro
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:56 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:13 pm Waits for 392 Wrangler. :sad:
Only 70k bro
Seems like it should just be a $3500 engine option. :lol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:48 pm In some weird fucked up way this is how I imagine trucks to be, and all the fancy shit is just a money grab IMO. Admittedly, I am a city slicker and don't really hang with dudes who dick swing their trucks so I haven't really been programmed to want more out of one. In fact when it comes to actually hauling stuff, I'd probably be pissed if my 50k truck got scratched. This base model "Tradesman" spec does what trucks do and saves a few bucks on monthly costs and is probably somewhat fuel miserly not to mention that it tracks better on highways then the JT. Even the black trim pieces look good, :iono:
This is my train of thought. I've always seen appeal in bare bones "honest" work trucks, but never had one. The thing has all the basics, but nothing more. IDGAF about advanced safety, power seats, giant screens, etc in a tool that's intended to be used. I might miss heated seats and remote start, but again I really don't NEED these things. Will be an interesting test.

I honestly prefer the black parts to Chrome. I can't stand chrome. Especially with the bright ass blue color, it's a neat contrast.
Bloo with black trim >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bloo with chrome trim.

Good luck with new :truk:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:07 pm

They are

1. Adequate
2. Perfectly Fine
3. Plenty of Power

They sound pretty :notbad: , too.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Wife hates it...it's a constant battle for me. She hated all the cars I had when we met. She hated the Corvette. She hates and refuses to try to try to understand fun cars. She's an instant :nope: on being a 3 vehicle household, and northern MI is not the place to drive a fun car 365 days a year. The JT is the perfect answer...a fun 365 vehicle that does everything, but that's not an option right now. Too many financial balls in the air, lots of driving potential on the horizon, etc.

Objectively, they're money pits and a waste of resources both time and money. Plus the uphill battle with the wife, it's easier to just acquiesce and find another hobby. Camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing, etc all I can do in the poverty truck and I live in a mecca for all those things.
:iono: I mean... don't want to overstep my bounds, but per the other thread you are doing a fuckoad of :pinshit: to fulfill her whims and also working full time/household bread winner. I would call :bs: on that real fast. My wife doesn't particularly enjoy the :poorvette: either, has zero interest in track days and any other :stig: shit, but I told her long ago she has to :dealwithit: or :gtfo:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:43 pm

:iono: I mean... don't want to overstep my bounds, but per the other thread you are doing a fuckoad of :pinshit: to fulfill her whims and also working full time/household bread winner. I would call :bs: on that real fast. My wife doesn't particularly enjoy the :poorvette: either, has zero interest in track days and any other :stig: shit, but I told her long ago she has to :dealwithit: or :gtfo:
Well, time for some :eeyore:

I don't have any car friends IRL. Zero. So I'm on my own for enjoyment, which is tough when the wife is so against it. But to make matters worse, I never drive anywhere by myself. No reason to, and when I do, it'll just be 3 hours on the highway. I'm not going on pleasure cruises on my own, the roads aren't THAT twisty, and frankly it's a waste. The nearest track is 2 hours away, which isn't bad, and a good excuse, but not enough on its own to buy a car for it.

My dad brought the Vagon up to visit a few weeks back and had me drive so he could :drunk: at wineries. I was excited at first, but then paranoia set in about curbing wheels or scraping the lip on a parking block, or whatever car shit. Car's fast, handles great, but is by no means comfortable. The seats are great to sit in but suck to regularly get in and out of (like a day of wine tasting), and the ride is firm enough to be near jarring. Half way through the day, I wished we were in a Jeep.

That's when I realized I might be over it all. I'm legit sad to be losing the JT, but it's really a jack of all trades master of none. A Ram and a side by side for wheeling would probably be more fun and utilitarian than anything else. Or a 2 door Wrangler for top off cruising. Still have the JL too even though I find it a bit boring because White Sahara's are everywhere.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:21 pm

I don't have any car friends IRL. Zero. So I'm on my own for enjoyment, which is tough when the wife is so against it. But to make matters worse, I never drive anywhere by myself. No reason to, and when I do, it'll just be 3 hours on the highway. I'm not going on pleasure cruises on my own, the roads aren't THAT twisty, and frankly it's a waste. The nearest track is 2 hours away, which isn't bad, and a good excuse, but not enough on its own to buy a car for it.

My dad brought the Vagon up to visit a few weeks back and had me drive so he could :drunk: at wineries. I was excited at first, but then paranoia set in about curbing wheels or scraping the lip on a parking block, or whatever car shit. Car's fast, handles great, but is by no means comfortable. The seats are great to sit in but suck to regularly get in and out of (like a day of wine tasting), and the ride is firm enough to be near jarring. Half way through the day, I wished we were in a Jeep.

That's when I realized I might be over it all. I'm legit sad to be losing the JT, but it's really a jack of all trades master of none. A Ram and a side by side for wheeling would probably be more fun and utilitarian than anything else. Or a 2 door Wrangler for top off cruising. Still have the JL too even though I find it a bit boring because White Sahara's are everywhere.
Hmm I mean you can't do a corp lease on a mojave for +100 or even +200 ? seems like it may be worth it :iono:
I hear you on the curbing etc, which is why I am also looking for a comfortable larger cruiser. It may make me :nuke: the mini, who knows... But I do really like that car for "fun" and with the fart pipe it is :muah:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:09 pm

Hmm I mean you can't do a corp lease on a mojave for +100 or even +200 ? seems like it may be worth it :iono:
I hear you on the curbing etc, which is why I am also looking for a comfortable larger cruiser. It may make me :nuke: the mini, who knows... But I do really like that car for "fun" and with the fart pipe it is :muah:
I could get a Mojave lease, but they restrict off-road usage which is :butwhy: and for the type of truck work I probably need to do over the next year, it's just not as good as a RAM.

How do they know you took the vehicle off-road?

When I took my Rubicon in for an oil change, they did an inspection and found my steering stabilizer "destroyed". The one time I took it wheeling was last November, and I was breaking through inch thick ice on trails...which must have damaged the stabilizer. I got a stern warning that the damage was clearly not from road use and that I would be on the hook to pay damages if it was found again.

Which is why I was hoping to buy the Whorange truck...instead I'll just look to buy something next fall, or maybe I'll pick up a 2-door Wrangler or side by side before then.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:09 pm Well, time for some :eeyore:

Man. I see where you're coming from, but I reach a totally different conclusion despite having similar circumstances.

Since the kiddos went back to daycare I've been driving the Atlas almost exclusively, ferrying them to and fro. It's a great SUV, handles way better than it has any right to for what it is, and is super relaxing, but...it's boring. I hadn't driven the GTI in over a week, then yesterday one of the twins was sent home because she started running a fever - we think it's just from teething - so I was able to pick up our other two in the GTI at the end of the day. It was SO refreshing to be back in a car with a :manuel:, with sharper responses and more direct feedback, even though the GTI is far from the sharpest razor across the sport compact realm.

I took the long way down a windy bit that leads up from town toward where we are, and it was SO nice. It's only a 40mph road and I never hit more than 55, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. This car has 100% made me realize that I don't need a car that traps 120+mph, I just need a car that feels right.

I'll have to sell this thing sooner or later, but :tits: is 100% on board with getting a fun car eventually, it's just going to be one she enjoys too. We share finances, she gets at least some weight in the decision, so it is what it is. It'll probably have to be something like an M3 or a Porsche for her to get on board, but I'm totally okay with that. It'll still primarily be my car, she just wants to enjoy looking at it and riding in it. Maybe you could get her to go along with a different kind of sports car?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Roxors can be modified to 150hp+ easily, and might even be road legal where you are moving, at least for limited use. It might be a cool option.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:55 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:09 pm Well, time for some :eeyore:

Man. I see where you're coming from, but I reach a totally different conclusion despite having similar circumstances.

Since the kiddos went back to daycare I've been driving the Atlas almost exclusively, ferrying them to and fro. It's a great SUV, handles way better than it has any right to for what it is, and is super relaxing, but...it's boring. I hadn't driven the GTI in over a week, then yesterday one of the twins was sent home because she started running a fever - we think it's just from teething - so I was able to pick up our other two in the GTI at the end of the day. It was SO refreshing to be back in a car with a :manuel:, with sharper responses and more direct feedback, even though the GTI is far from the sharpest razor across the sport compact realm.

I took the long way down a windy bit that leads up from town toward where we are, and it was SO nice. It's only a 40mph road and I never hit more than 55, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. This car has 100% made me realize that I don't need a car that traps 120+mph, I just need a car that feels right.

I'll have to sell this thing sooner or later, but :tits: is 100% on board with getting a fun car eventually, it's just going to be one she enjoys too. We share finances, she gets at least some weight in the decision, so it is what it is. It'll probably have to be something like an M3 or a Porsche for her to get on board, but I'm totally okay with that. It'll still primarily be my car, she just wants to enjoy looking at it and riding in it. Maybe you could get her to go along with a different kind of sports car?
:dat:

I seldom drive the C5 these days, I don't drive much period and when I do, it's usually with the wife and the :jeep: is in the back of the driveway, but man, when I do, it is just such a treat to be in a car with a :manuel: and just good responsiveness. I think a MINI would still be a great choice here, fuel efficient, inexpensive, not a thing like a 944 or old Corvette where it's a little meh to be in, but actually nice, while still being fun.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:09 pm

I seldom drive the C5 these days, I don't drive much period and when I do, it's usually with the wife and the :jeep: is in the back of the driveway, but man, when I do, it is just such a treat to be in a car with a :manuel: and just good responsiveness. I think a MINI would still be a great choice here, fuel efficient, inexpensive, not a thing like a 944 or old Corvette where it's a little meh to be in, but actually nice, while still being fun.
The big draw of a mini is that they are so much fun DAILY. And the interiors are nice, as is the refinement. Can't say that about a C5. This makes a mini enjoyable and :tits: usually really like em too. A fun car that you both can enjoy.
Last edited by max225 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:11 pm

The big draw of a mini is that they are so much fun DAILY. And the interiors are nice, as is the refinement. Can't say that about a C5. This makes a mini enjoyable and :tits: usually really like em up. A fun car that you both can enjoy.
:dat: A C5 definitely wouldn't be the right move here, plus he's had one. But any car that drives decent whether it's on the Mini/GTI side of the spectrum or the Corvette/Miata side, is so damn rewarding after SUVs and shit. Anyone who says that :jeep: don't drive like dog turds is a liar.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

There is nothing meh about a 944 with a well preserved interior.