Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:49 pm
wap wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Damn, I wish that car was 12-15% smaller.
:yeahok: so you would just go and buy another Volkswagen?
:roasted:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:50 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:10 am
It's more because people are paying the prices, so why not charge them? Cash cows.

A TuRD Pro (which has smaller tires, no front locker, no disconnecting sway bar, and obviously not a convertible) starts at $44k. Adding an auto trans is 2,700, so $46.7k. Equipment is mostly similar to a Rubicon, only the TuRD has some extra safety stuff, so you're essentially paying ~$3k more for the Rubicon Gladiator. Which is way better off-road and a convertible...which I personally value really highly.

The ZR2 remains a screaming bargain by comparison. But that was mostly my doing when I was at GM. I expect the price of that thing to come up big time this year in-line with the TuRD and Gladiator.
:iono: I kinda think the :jeep: product is worth the money. It's a super unique, fun, cool product that no one else can touch, and the JLs are actually really nice DDs on top of being so capable. The Taco is just kind of meh, better than the Ranger, maybe equal to the Canyonado... I would just get a Fronturd if I needed a pickup. A JL would be something I'd get because I actually want to own it, versus need for a :truk:
Jeep feels more special I think.

Taco isn't a bad truck. Maybe a bit underwhelming in its class. I love the way they look though, esp in orange and that tan color :datass: I came close to getting a last gen four-oh Taco. Should have bought the fucking thing.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:notwrong: :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Actually, I've been trolling local dillers and VW's website and I'm not all that :fuckyeah: on their offerings these days. Not interested in the Tig or Atlas, the GSW now comes with the :jalepenis: 1.4 , don't really want an Alltrack, ARR is too :troywax: , the Arteon is nice but also 15% too big. That just leaves the :turboyaris: which are great, but :iono: if I'm going to go that route again.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:50 am

:iono: I kinda think the :jeep: product is worth the money. It's a super unique, fun, cool product that no one else can touch, and the JLs are actually really nice DDs on top of being so capable. The Taco is just kind of meh, better than the Ranger, maybe equal to the Canyonado... I would just get a Fronturd if I needed a pickup. A JL would be something I'd get because I actually want to own it, versus need for a :truk:

Taco isn't a bad truck. Maybe a bit underwhelming in its class. I love the way they look though, esp in orange and that tan color :datass: I came close to getting a last gen four-oh Taco. Should have bought the fucking thing.
My buddy has a :manuel: 2014 TRD... it is a decent truck but kinda meh.

You should get a Stingah, seems like it would fit your needs pretty well. Go lightly used or hugely discounted to help with the depreciation.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Actually, I've been trolling local dillers and VW's website and I'm not all that :fuckyeah: on their offerings these days. Not interested in the Tig or Atlas, the GSW now comes with the :jalepenis: 1.4 , don't really want an Alltrack, ARR is too :troywax: , the Arteon is nice but also 15% too big. That just leaves the :turboyaris: which are great, but :iono: if I'm going to go that route again.
Nothing wrong with a GTI but four in a row or whatever would be a bit much.

Have you thought about a G70? Like a Stinger but smaller... oddly enough with actual cars now I feel like Hyundai/Kia are kinda leading the charge. The Civic/Accord/Mazderps are also nice.

You could get like a 230i M Sport or something to mix it up.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:37 pm I too agree that The high end Acura systems are :mindblown: :amazing: as are the Mark Levinson stereos in Lexus vehicles.

I'm also :wrong: though since I think the Blose in my car and truck sound pretty good, especially with a CD which I still buy.
My :poorvette: sounds horrific. I think the wiring adapter thing I bought for the aftermarket headunit is faulty. Sometimes it sounds decent, while other times it's like listening to a 1960's AM radio.

Been debating putting the stock radio back in so I don't have to deal with the :bs: anymore. You're right, the stock radio with a CD sounds :notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:12 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:37 pm I too agree that The high end Acura systems are :mindblown: :amazing: as are the Mark Levinson stereos in Lexus vehicles.

I'm also :wrong: though since I think the Blose in my car and truck sound pretty good, especially with a CD which I still buy.
My :poorvette: sounds horrific. I think the wiring adapter thing I bought for the aftermarket headunit is faulty. Sometimes it sounds decent, while other times it's like listening to a 1960's AM radio.

Been debating putting the stock radio back in so I don't have to deal with the :bs: anymore. You're right, the stock radio with a CD sounds :notbad:
Even the old school aux setup I have on the stock HU sounds decent. Do you have aftermarket speakers as well?
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:14 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:12 am

Even the old school aux setup I have on the stock HU sounds decent. Do you have aftermarket speakers as well?
No, stock speakers and I think that's the problem. There's this adapter box thing that you install for an aftermarket headunit to work with the stock Blose amp and speakers. I've read those things can be kind of shitty, and if you get a bad one, they can really suck. I think I got a bad one.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:19 am

No, stock speakers and I think that's the problem. There's this adapter box thing that you install for an aftermarket headunit to work with the stock Blose amp and speakers. I've read those things can be kind of shitty, and if you get a bad one, they can really suck. I think I got a bad one.
Finding aftermarket speakers to use with the factory amp is tough. At least on my truck the factory speakers are 2ohm so switching to standard 4ohm speakers will lack volume and over work the amp. The closest I could find were some 2.7/2.3 ohm speakers. Haven't installed them yet though.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:24 am
Finding aftermarket speakers to use with the factory amp is tough. At least on my truck the factory speakers are 2ohm so switching to standard 4ohm speakers will lack volume and over work the amp. The closest I could find were some 2.7/2.3 ohm speakers. Haven't installed them yet though.
If I were committed to the car, I'd bypass the factory amp and do it all from scratch.

But I don't care that much.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:28 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:24 am

If I were committed to the car, I'd bypass the factory amp and do it all from scratch.

But I don't care that much.
It's a 17 step process to get the the amp in my truck. It's staying.

Forever
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:58 am

You should get a Stingah, seems like it would fit your needs pretty well. Go lightly used or hugely discounted to help with the depreciation.
It has crossed my mind. They are rather large and I do worry about rattles. Probably worth a drive. Problem is, if going something that large, just get a Charger or 300 for cheaper and possibly with a big ass V8. I know those 2 can handle shit roads if you forego the performance packages.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

This was basically it:

I think it was a 2011, black with grey interior. TRD off road with the locking rear diff. Crew cab. I passed because dillerman games hardcore. They wanted $20k for the truck which had something like 70k on it. It was a bad deal.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:01 am

This was basically it:

I think it was a 2011, black with grey interior. TRD off road with the locking rear diff. Crew cab. I passed because dillerman games hardcore. They wanted $20k for the truck which had something like 70k on it. It was a bad deal.
:dillerman: games do not deserve to be rewarded.

But I also don't "get it" with Tacomas.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:17 am

This was basically it:

Agreed on the games which is why I walked.
It was a nice truck. They're very dependable. Nicer interior and features than the Frontier which was the only other truck I was cross shopping. :iono: I drove about 5 of these. And even with 140k on the one, it drove pretty similar to the others. Drive a 140k mile GTI and compare it to a new one :mahman:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:21 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:17 am

It was a nice truck. They're very dependable. Nicer interior and features than the Frontier which was the only other truck I was cross shopping. :iono: I drove about 5 of these. And even with 140k on the one, it drove pretty similar to the others. Drive a 140k mile GTI and compare it to a new one :mahman:
They're certainly durable and decent, I just don't get people's obsession with them driving prices so high.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:26 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:21 am

They're certainly durable and decent, I just don't get people's obsession with them driving prices so high.
juan hunnit percent
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I don't remember the details, but I actually had an issue with distortion when I installed my aftermarket HU and I think you actually helped me. IIRC it was something with the gain structure - adjusting the input/output levels on that little transformer thing. Mine sounds just fine/like stock with my poverty Kenwood. Considering it's all almost 20 years old, I am actually happy with it, it sounds better than the factory BMW system. :tits: has a Fusion with a Sony system that is pretty solid as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:18 am
I don't remember the details, but I actually had an issue with distortion when I installed my aftermarket HU and I think you actually helped me. IIRC it was something with the gain structure - adjusting the input/output levels on that little transformer thing. Mine sounds just fine/like stock with my poverty Kenwood. Considering it's all almost 20 years old, I am actually happy with it, it sounds better than the factory BMW system. :tits: has a Fusion with a Sony system that is pretty solid as well.
Yep, the gains need to be maxed out to sound the best.

The problem with mine is the sound quality varies DRASTICALLY with each start up. That stupid little module is powered and apparently has a "reset" function as per the installation instructions. It involves pulling the battery, which I do every year and has had no impact. Sometimes the audio sounds fantastic, other times it sounds terrible.

I'm just over this cheap aftermarket garbage.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:23 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:18 am

The problem with mine is the sound quality varies DRASTICALLY with each start up. That stupid little module is powered and apparently has a "reset" function as per the installation instructions. It involves pulling the battery, which I do every year and has had no impact. Sometimes the audio sounds fantastic, other times it sounds terrible.

Yeah... that sucks. Mine is totally fine. Maybe you just need a new $5 box? I would hate to lose BT.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:23 am

Yeah... that sucks. Mine is totally fine. Maybe you just need a new $5 box? I would hate to lose BT.
The box is $60 :doe:

This bullshit:

https://www.amazon.com/Axxess-XSVI-2004 ... JTY88CJ0PE

I too would hate to lose BT. It's the whole reason I switched to the aftermarket stereo.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:51 pm

This was basically it:

That truck is still $20k. :mindblown:
Shit doesn't make any god damn sense. "The four-oh is better :triggered: " - Olds
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:lolgasm:

Mod :trollface:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:57 pm

The box is $60 :doe:

This bullshit:

https://www.amazon.com/Axxess-XSVI-2004 ... JTY88CJ0PE

I too would hate to lose BT. It's the whole reason I switched to the aftermarket stereo.
Was going to suggest Crutchfield, but it is still pricey: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120SVI200 ... rface.html

It was super cheap as an add on with my HU...