Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:50 am So earlier this week someone asked me what I was driving because I left early the other night to return the Colorado. I told him, and he says "we gotta get you out of that rubbermaid piece of GM garbage". :lolol:

So he found a JL that has some engineering test stuff on it that just needs miles...these vehicles exist only to be driven to test whatever new stuff is on it. They want real world miles instead of simulation miles on the vehicles. It's a JL Sahara with some secret things (I don't even know what they are) that I've been driving for the last few days now.

I absolutely love the thing. I'm almost certain at this point that the JL/JT is my perfect vehicle. I should have this JL for at least a week, when hopefully my JT arrives.
:lolol: thats :amaze:

I work in the :wrong: industry with my passions obviously... :jelly:

Way to :meatspin: your :alpo: around us plebs.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 am
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:24 am

51k for what is essentially a “base” “off-road” model :mindblown:

Im curious this may be before your time there but did Corp ever run scenarios against the taco ? I mean I can’t imagine the 10k price delta is easy to ignore by the average customer. But I suppose justification can be made that customers don’t cross shop the two
Toyota is jacking up Taco prices to meet the higher MSRPs of other comparable truks.

with WAY less features and capabilities. :disgust:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:13 am Window sticker just posted for my JT, which USUALLY means it's about to be shipped...

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowst ... G5LL142996

:excited:

Im curious this may be before your time there but did Corp ever run scenarios against the taco ? I mean I can’t imagine the 10k price delta is easy to ignore by the average customer. But I suppose justification can be made that customers don’t cross shop the two
we all know the :jeep: has no real competition. It drives like :poop: and people LOVE IT. 90% dont ever off-road the thing. Its really a :unicorn: of a car.

The market obviously shows a winning formula for sales so they can set the bar/price at literally anything. This is the first time I can remember where they are stacking discounts on a current model :jeep: Uncharted waters IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Toyota is jacking up Taco prices to meet the higher MSRPs of other comparable truks.

It's more because people are paying the prices, so why not charge them? Cash cows.

A TuRD Pro (which has smaller tires, no front locker, no disconnecting sway bar, and obviously not a convertible) starts at $44k. Adding an auto trans is 2,700, so $46.7k. Equipment is mostly similar to a Rubicon, only the TuRD has some extra safety stuff, so you're essentially paying ~$3k more for the Rubicon Gladiator. Which is way better off-road and a convertible...which I personally value really highly.

The ZR2 remains a screaming bargain by comparison. But that was mostly my doing when I was at GM. I expect the price of that thing to come up big time this year in-line with the TuRD and Gladiator.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:57 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:58 am
Not really. At any moment, engineering can come ask for the vehicle for evaluation and it's gone from me. Then I'd be scrambling to find another one, which is super hard because most of these engineering vehicles follow a very structured schedule for accumulating mileage and evaluation. I just got lucky with this one because it came before it was scheduled to so it had a few weeks of free time.
:poorvette: :doe:
Yea, I guess if I left it at work rotting on top of the parking garage forever. I'm not too keen on that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:57 am

:poorvette: :doe:
Yea, I guess if I left it at work rotting on top of the parking garage forever. I'm not too keen on that.
its plastic my man, it cant even rust.

:trollface:
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:59 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:50 am So earlier this week someone asked me what I was driving because I left early the other night to return the Colorado. I told him, and he says "we gotta get you out of that rubbermaid piece of GM garbage". :lolol:

So he found a JL that has some engineering test stuff on it that just needs miles...these vehicles exist only to be driven to test whatever new stuff is on it. They want real world miles instead of simulation miles on the vehicles. It's a JL Sahara with some secret things (I don't even know what they are) that I've been driving for the last few days now.

I absolutely love the thing. I'm almost certain at this point that the JL/JT is my perfect vehicle. I should have this JL for at least a week, when hopefully my JT arrives.
:lolol: thats :amaze:

I work in the :wrong: industry with my passions obviously... :jelly:

Way to :meatspin: your :alpo: around us plebs.
:wrong:

The auto industry is torture for enthusiasts. I really wish I never got into this industry. I spent way too much time on :bs: initiatives than stuff that will actually be cool and make money.

I'd love to go work for an appliance company. Something IDGAF about. It's way easier to not care when bean counters are counting beans and whatnot.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:27 am
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:21 am
Unless you’re an audiophile the base in the new jl is passable I’m assuming jt has same system. The jk had an abysmal base Stereo. But Jeep fixed even that part
This is my impression as well, but I've only ever driven engineering vehicles with base audio, and that's usually only for less than an hour. We'll see how it is to live with...especially being able to compare to the JL.
I find people's bend on car audio really weird. I $500 system at home will sound 5X better than the best car systems. Unless base is just horrendous (i.e. some Subarus and Hondas from the 90s, etc) I really don't care. I'm not exactly an audiophile but it's my career... :iono: I like a nice mix of brubs with my music anyway.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:16 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:27 am
This is my impression as well, but I've only ever driven engineering vehicles with base audio, and that's usually only for less than an hour. We'll see how it is to live with...especially being able to compare to the JL.
I find people's bend on car audio really weird. I $500 system at home will sound 5X better than the best car systems. Unless base is just horrendous (i.e. some Subarus and Hondas from the 90s, etc) I really don't care. I'm not exactly an audiophile but it's my career... :iono: I like a nice mix of brubs with my music anyway.
It's tough when you hear systems back to back. I thought the premium "Bose" audio in my Colorado sounded "fine". Then we got in the JL and the audio system was better in every way. Lots of bass, crisp clear highs, really excellent sound overall. But more importantly on a JL/T, take the top off or windows down and the system still sounds great. Most vehicles when you do that, the bass is gone, the mid range is hard to hear, and the highs get shrill.

Is it enough to make me want to spend an extra $1,500 for the bigger screen and fancy audio? :notsure: but I'm going to find out with my truck.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:10 am

It's more because people are paying the prices, so why not charge them? Cash cows.

A TuRD Pro (which has smaller tires, no front locker, no disconnecting sway bar, and obviously not a convertible) starts at $44k. Adding an auto trans is 2,700, so $46.7k. Equipment is mostly similar to a Rubicon, only the TuRD has some extra safety stuff, so you're essentially paying ~$3k more for the Rubicon Gladiator. Which is way better off-road and a convertible...which I personally value really highly.

The ZR2 remains a screaming bargain by comparison. But that was mostly my doing when I was at GM. I expect the price of that thing to come up big time this year in-line with the TuRD and Gladiator.
:iono: I kinda think the :jeep: product is worth the money. It's a super unique, fun, cool product that no one else can touch, and the JLs are actually really nice DDs on top of being so capable. The Taco is just kind of meh, better than the Ranger, maybe equal to the Canyonado... I would just get a Fronturd if I needed a pickup. A JL would be something I'd get because I actually want to own it, versus need for a :truk:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think the base GTI system was the best I've had stock... my Shitvic I blew money on upgrades and it was good. Blose in the C5 is actually pretty decent with an aftermarket HU. The BMW base system is sub par but I mean, it works and :thisisfine:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

My best audiosystem was in the '04 Acura TL ..... I bought Pink Floyd Dark Side of the moon in 5.1 DVD Surround and it was :mindblown: sounded like you were listening from the center of the drum kit.....

ELLIOT SCHEINER AND THE ELS SURROUND PREMIUM AUDIO SYSTEM
THE AWARD-WINNING MUSIC PRODUCER LENDS HIS IMPECCABLE EAR TO ACURA FOR STUDIO-GRADE SOUND ON FOUR WHEELS
“Audio’s been my life for over 40 years. I have always been passionate about what music should sound like,” explains renowned music producer Elliot Scheiner. The recipient of 25 Grammy nominations (with seven wins) and four Emmy nominations (with two wins), as well as an honorary doctorate from the Berklee College of Music and an honor from the Japan Audio Society, Scheiner is considered a master of his craft with an impeccable ear. His career began when he went to work as Phil Ramone’s assistant in 1967, in which he quickly advanced to become an audio engineer. He went on to play percussion in several bands, but ultimately his heart remained in the studio. He returned, and produced albums for the likes of Steely Dan, Van Morrison, Fleetwood Mac, Sting, The Eagles, BB King, Aerosmith and more. More recently, he’s worked on music with Foo Fighters, Band of Horses and Beck.

Scheiner’s prolific experience gained the interest of Acura, who tapped him 10 years ago to help with their Panasonic audio system. He decided to work with the automaker because, he says, “Acura really cares, unlike some other providers that put systems in automobiles; others come from a scientific background, meaning they tune using numbers and charts—not ears! That’s not what music is about, and is the key to why one system is number one: the ELS system.”

“Van Morrison’s ‘Moondance,’ for instance, I know what I made it sound like,” explains Scheiner. “I am intimately acquainted with what sound is and Acura feels the same.
Remember the eight-track cassette? It all became popular because of the car. I got a call from Panasonic to put a demo in a car—in a Cadillac—and it was embraced. In 2002, I got a call from Acura—they were willing to put a system in the 2004 TL. Now, it’s in every car Acura makes.” A luxury sedan may not seem like a quintessential car for rocking out, but thanks to Scheiner, the 2015 Acura TLX is almost like a concert hall on wheels.

https://coolhunting.com/design/elliot-s ... io-system/
Last edited by Irish on Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:52 am I think the base GTI system was the best I've had stock... my Shitvic I blew money on upgrades and it was good. Blose in the C5 is actually pretty decent with an aftermarket HU. The BMW base system is sub par but I mean, it works and :thisisfine:
I was super impressed with the stereo in the Stingah GTS from KIA. There were a lot of speakers tho but it had some really cool dynamic control that tuned it perfectly.
8.0-inch touchscreen, navigation, and 720-watt Harmon Kardon premium audio system.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:05 pm My best audiosystem was in the '04 Acura TL ..... I bought Pink Floyd Dark Side of the moon in 5.1 DVD Surround and it was :mindblown: sounded like you were listening from the center of the drum kit.....

THE AWARD-WINNING MUSIC PRODUCER LENDS HIS IMPECCABLE EAR TO ACURA FOR STUDIO-GRADE SOUND ON FOUR WHEELS
“Audio’s been my life for over 40 years. I have always been passionate about what music should sound like,” explains renowned music producer Elliot Scheiner. The recipient of 25 Grammy nominations (with seven wins) and four Emmy nominations (with two wins), as well as an honorary doctorate from the Berklee College of Music and an honor from the Japan Audio Society, Scheiner is considered a master of his craft with an impeccable ear. His career began when he went to work as Phil Ramone’s assistant in 1967, in which he quickly advanced to become an audio engineer. He went on to play percussion in several bands, but ultimately his heart remained in the studio. He returned, and produced albums for the likes of Steely Dan, Van Morrison, Fleetwood Mac, Sting, The Eagles, BB King, Aerosmith and more. More recently, he’s worked on music with Foo Fighters, Band of Horses and Beck.

Scheiner’s prolific experience gained the interest of Acura, who tapped him 10 years ago to help with their Panasonic audio system. He decided to work with the automaker because, he says, “Acura really cares, unlike some other providers that put systems in automobiles; others come from a scientific background, meaning they tune using numbers and charts—not ears! That’s not what music is about, and is the key to why one system is number one: the ELS system.”

“Van Morrison’s ‘Moondance,’ for instance, I know what I made it sound like,” explains Scheiner. “I am intimately acquainted with what sound is and Acura feels the same.
Remember the eight-track cassette? It all became popular because of the car. I got a call from Panasonic to put a demo in a car—in a Cadillac—and it was embraced. In 2002, I got a call from Acura—they were willing to put a system in the 2004 TL. Now, it’s in every car Acura makes.” A luxury sedan may not seem like a quintessential car for rocking out, but thanks to Scheiner, the 2015 Acura TLX is almost like a concert hall on wheels.

When I was a writer, the Acura cars always blew my mind in the audio department. Easily the best in the business.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:05 pm My best audiosystem was in the '04 Acura TL ..... I bought Pink Floyd Dark Side of the moon in 5.1 DVD Surround and it was :mindblown: sounded like you were listening from the center of the drum kit.....

:neat:

I dated a girl who drove a 2006 TL, was a nice vehicle... she was too dang uptight to ever blast the system :doe:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:08 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:52 am I think the base GTI system was the best I've had stock... my Shitvic I blew money on upgrades and it was good. Blose in the C5 is actually pretty decent with an aftermarket HU. The BMW base system is sub par but I mean, it works and :thisisfine:
I was super impressed with the stereo in the Stingah GTS from KIA. There were a lot of speakers tho but it had some really cool dynamic control that tuned it perfectly.
8.0-inch touchscreen, navigation, and 720-watt Harmon Kardon premium audio system.
Damn, I wish that car was 12-15% smaller.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Damn, I wish that car was 12-15% smaller.
:yeahok: so you would just go and buy another Volkswagen?
McQueenBalls
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

serious brah? i thought the GTI base system was atrocious. I find the base BMW system to be superior, even in that it at least comes with a small sub under the driver's seat. There is an overall lack of mids and clarity in the mid range but the GTI was gnar brah. gnar.

If i listened to anything other than Sirius (mainly howards stern, news, or PRX) or Podcasts, I would upgrade the audio system but its low on the priority list. There is a common upgrade for the 3 series base system but I forgot what its called.
Current: 2016 328i M sport JB+, lots of gay options - Most Expensive 4 banger in history

Past: 2010 GTI 2dr 6 spd stage1 shit pile | 2013 320i Sportpkg stage 1 - Groundskeeper's Edition
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

McQueenBalls wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 pm
serious brah? i thought the GTI base system was atrocious. I find the base BMW system to be superior, even in that it at least comes with a small sub under the driver's seat. There is an overall lack of mids and clarity in the mid range but the GTI was gnar brah. gnar.

If i listened to anything other than Sirius (mainly howards stern, news, or PRX) or Podcasts, I would upgrade the audio system but its low on the priority list. There is a common upgrade for the 3 series base system but I forgot what its called.
:iono: it has been five or six years since I had the GTI, so maybe I remember wrong. After working in the music biz and shit and hearing speakers that are actually good, it's just hard to get excited about car audio. The BMW system isn't all that but it is totally adequate.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I too agree that The high end Acura systems are :mindblown: :amazing: as are the Mark Levinson stereos in Lexus vehicles.

I'm also :wrong: though since I think the Blose in my car and truck sound pretty good, especially with a CD which I still buy.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
McQueenBalls wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 pm serious brah? i thought the GTI base system was atrocious. I find the base BMW system to be superior, even in that it at least comes with a small sub under the driver's seat. There is an overall lack of mids and clarity in the mid range but the GTI was gnar brah. gnar.

:iono: it has been five or six years since I had the GTI, so maybe I remember wrong. After working in the music biz and shit and hearing speakers that are actually good, it's just hard to get excited about car audio. The BMW system isn't all that but it is totally adequate.
:iono:

It's still easy to get a 4/7 system instead of a 2 or 3 with a few <$1k MODZZZ or just buying something that sounds ok in the first place.

Just because I've raced shifter karts doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the difference between a :poorvette: and a :minivan: even though they both fucking suck compared to the kart...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

More than a few reviews have said the new ELS Studio 3D in the RDX is mind blowing. Partly why I want one. That and the engine with real balls and a good transmission and true not brake based torque vectoring AWD...
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:19 pm
McQueenBalls wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Base MK6 stereo lacked deep bass but otherwise I thought it was decent :notbad:
Johnny_P

I really like the Stinger. The :notsure: bits of it are Kia badge resale and rattles. From everything I can find, its a decently handling fast GT barge with a huge hatch for relatively cheap. Sounds pretty good to me.