Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:53 am :nice:

I think premium audio would be a must for me
It might be one of the best audio systems I've heard. We were doing 80 on the highway over horrific roads yesterday with tunes blasting that sounded epic. Unheard of in a :jeep: prior.

I also really like the 8.4" screen with navi. We used the built-in navi a bit and ended up preferring it to android auto that we had plugged in. The screen is crazy responsive, and has traffic. Also has speed limits, AND will tell you what lane to me in for merging/etc. Best is ~2 miles before the next turn, it'll pop up in the center screen, so you can turn the audio alerts off and just go off when the screen tells you to turn. Really great.

Will be interesting to compare to the base audio and 7" screen in my Gladiator, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be :| by it. Good thing it's just a year lease.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Also after driving the JL quite a bit yesterday, I'm legit concerned that when my :truk: comes in, I'll lose all interest in the :poorvette:

:jeep: is fun, unique, refined...not "fast" but with where I drive, I never get to enjoy "fast" anyway. I can't wait for it to come in now. Hopefully by the end of the month.

:excited:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:03 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:53 am :nice:

I think premium audio would be a must for me
It might be one of the best audio systems I've heard. We were doing 80 on the highway over horrific roads yesterday with tunes blasting that sounded epic. Unheard of in a :jeep: prior.

I also really like the 8.4" screen with navi. We used the built-in navi a bit and ended up preferring it to android auto that we had plugged in. The screen is crazy responsive, and has traffic. Also has speed limits, AND will tell you what lane to me in for merging/etc. Best is ~2 miles before the next turn, it'll pop up in the center screen, so you can turn the audio alerts off and just go off when the screen tells you to turn. Really great.

Will be interesting to compare to the base audio and 7" screen in my Gladiator, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be :| by it. Good thing it's just a year lease.
Yep my dad prefers the factory Navi as well over dealing with car play. He hasn't figured out the voice inputs yet though. He kind of lucked out. His car is an ex-rental with pano, radar cruise, and factory nav. That's $5500 in options :mindblown:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:06 am Also after driving the JL quite a bit yesterday, I'm legit concerned that when my :truk: comes in, I'll lose all interest in the :poorvette:

:jeep: is fun, unique, refined...not "fast" but with where I drive, I never get to enjoy "fast" anyway. I can't wait for it to come in now. Hopefully by the end of the month.

And you don’t have to park in some foreign lot. A sports car is tough to own in your sitch.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:09 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:06 am Also after driving the JL quite a bit yesterday, I'm legit concerned that when my :truk: comes in, I'll lose all interest in the :poorvette:

And you don’t have to park in some foreign lot. A sports car is tough to own in your sitch.
I had a dr. appt this morning so I got in late. The "competitive" lot in BFE was full, so I had to park on the roof of a 5 story parking garage (roof is only where competitive vehicles can park). By level 3, there were open spots, but I wasn't allowed to park until the roof...which was also almost full but I think I got the last spot. The pavement entering the garage is buckled badly, and hit the subframe (I hope not the oil pan, I didn't check) entering. If I come out to a pool of oil under the car, I might just light it on fire. The world is increasingly not suitable for sports cars. It's really not fun anymore, despite me really loving the car. It's not the car's fault.

After this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if I don't even consider driving the :poorvette: once I have my JT.

:pouroneout: :(
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:16 am
I had a dr. appt this morning so I got in late. The "competitive" lot in BFE was full, so I had to park on the roof of a 5 story parking garage (roof is only where competitive vehicles can park). By level 3, there were open spots, but I wasn't allowed to park until the roof...which was also almost full but I think I got the last spot. The pavement entering the garage is buckled badly, and hit the subframe (I hope not the oil pan, I didn't check) entering. If I come out to a pool of oil under the car, I might just light it on fire. The world is increasingly not suitable for sports cars. It's really not fun anymore, despite me really loving the car. It's not the car's fault.

After this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if I don't even consider driving the :poorvette: once I have my JT.

Hey man I understand, that’s exactly why I sold my vette. I actually DD’d it for a year, put like 20k miles on it as wel. But not being able to clear speed bumps without scrape, that epic shitty turning radius, not being able to use city parking garages, scraping into most driveways. Was a yuge :disgust: I just wanna get in and go...
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

But you can keep it in that new garage and wax it every Sunday like a proper Corvette owner.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:21 am

But you can keep it in that new garage and wax it every Sunday like a proper Corvette owner.
Yep, that's probably all I'll do with it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I will appreciate you keeping it nice for me
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:37 am I will appreciate you keeping it nice for me
:lolol:

Probably going to get serious about selling it in the Spring. My dad's leaving for the winter and I should be able to squeak the car into his heated garage. Out of sight, out of mind for the winter.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

That sucks man :disgust:

The garage where I live now is what caused me to raise mine up... if I had to park above the 2nd floor, it would high center on the ramps no matter the angle/speed. Definitely sucks horribly. I love the :poorvette: but it can be an epic pain at times. It's too bad more roads/parking areas aren't designed better.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:40 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:14 am In4 :truk: update
Should be assembled today. :excited:

Drove the JL for the first time yesterday, it's really quite great. Steering is tight and leagues better than the JK was. We drove 45 minutes on the highway doing about 80, and wind noise was surprisingly minimal. The road noise from tires or whatever was worse than wind noise, and even then it isn't much worse than the ZR2 was.

Thoughts on that:
On 2.0T hybrids, there's active noise cancelling with premium audio. That might be doing a lot, but it's not noticeable at all. The audio system is freaking awesome.

The headliner might be helping with noise more than expected.

Overall, I really love that thing. I can't wait to get mine now.
:wrong:

Both of our JLs are the loudest, loose steering vehicles on the road.

I would go so far as to say they are so loud inside that they are unsafe.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:41 pm

Drove the JL for the first time yesterday, it's really quite great. Steering is tight and leagues better than the JK was. We drove 45 minutes on the highway doing about 80, and wind noise was surprisingly minimal. The road noise from tires or whatever was worse than wind noise, and even then it isn't much worse than the ZR2 was.

Thoughts on that:
On 2.0T hybrids, there's active noise cancelling with premium audio. That might be doing a lot, but it's not noticeable at all. The audio system is freaking awesome.

:wrong:

Both of our JLs are the loudest, loose steering vehicles on the road.

I would go so far as to say they are so loud inside that they are unsafe.
True. We're the only morans willing to put our hard earned money into them. :derp:

Good thing my wife drives ours most of the time, she can be the dangerous one.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:29 pm

That sucks man :disgust:

The garage where I live now is what caused me to raise mine up... if I had to park above the 2nd floor, it would high center on the ramps no matter the angle/speed. Definitely sucks horribly. I love the :poorvette: but it can be an epic pain at times. It's too bad more roads/parking areas aren't designed better.
In my case, it's not the design/engineering of things, but the upkeep. The pavement that I high centered on would be fine if they'd grind it flat. But no, there's a giant hump in the middle that's perfect to catch a low subframe or oil pan. Company doesn't make super low cars, so whatever I guess.

With construction and traffic combined with crumbling infrastructure everywhere, it's just not fun. When I started my job in the Spring, it was epic...then they decided to start construction on every single road on my route, and it's been nothing but :| and :rage:
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:14 am In4 :truk: update

Thoughts on that:

Does the 2.slow have issues maintaining 80? By that I mean, does the trans shift 8>7>6>7>8 a lot or no? The 3.6s was hunting a bit.

Glad to hear you guys are liking it a lot. That's a great feeling, then again its an epic 50k+ :jeep: what's not to like.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:49 pm

Thoughts on that:

Does the 2.slow have issues maintaining 80? By that I mean, does the trans shift 8>7>6>7>8 a lot or no? The 3.6s was hunting a bit.

Glad to hear you guys are liking it a lot. That's a great feeling, then again its an epic 50k+ :jeep: what's not to like.
Mine doesn't hunt at all, but with the Rubicon I have 4.10 gears.

Now, that POS Cherokee Trail Hawk hunted gears and never hit 9th.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:13 pm

You drive pretty fast IIRC, and 4.10s, so I am assuming your rpms never dip below 2200 on the freeway.
The 2.slow has a better low end so I am curious how it does on the freeway. It is kind of insane to me that it is literally the same size engine as the one in my mini.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:15 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:13 pm

You drive pretty fast IIRC, and 4.10s, so I am assuming your rpms never dip below 2200 on the freeway.
The 2.slow has a better low end so I am curious how it does on the freeway. It is kind of insane to me that it is literally the same size engine as the one in my mini.
Yeah, I was just responding to your comment about the 3.6 hunting for you. I usually am about 2800+ IIRC at 80ish.
ChrisoftheNorth

Thoughts on that:

Not that I noticed, but I wasn't paying close attention. I will on our next road trip.

The 2.0T is great overall...really solid engine. The BSG helps make the start/stop feature undetectable, which makes it much less :rage:

What surprised me the most was how slow it felt. In that...I'd be doing 80 and it felt like 60. There were many times taking off from a light or whatever and I when I looked at the speedo I was doing 60+. The thing is remarkably refined.

In fact, it addresses all the issues I had with my JK and then some. And my JK was one of my favorite vehicles I've had.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Not that I noticed, but I wasn't paying close attention. I will on our next road trip.

The 2.0T is great overall...really solid engine. The BSG helps make the start/stop feature undetectable, which makes it much less :rage:

What surprised me the most was how slow it felt. In that...I'd be doing 80 and it felt like 60. There were many times taking off from a light or whatever and I when I looked at the speedo I was doing 60+. The thing is remarkably refined.

In fact, it addresses all the issues I had with my JK and then some. And my JK was one of my favorite vehicles I've had.
Yea, JL was better than the JK in almost every single if not every way.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:38 pm

I can't think of an aspect that isn't better. Pretty remarkable, really.

You mentioned in the review of your rental that the thing manages to feel special and unique which adds significantly to the "funness" of it. That's really what I felt when driving the wife's. Even she mentioned that it feels really "special". She loves it, and I'm really glad she ended up with something that we both like so much.

Even at $50k, it almost feels worth it. Which is :mindblown: to me.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:46 pm

You mentioned in the review of your rental that the thing manages to feel special and unique which adds significantly to the "funness" of it. That's really what I felt when driving the wife's. Even she mentioned that it feels really "special". She loves it, and I'm really glad she ended up with something that we both like so much.

too much :troywax: for me. I talked it over with the wife. I like my :gorf: too much to let it go right now.
max225

Yea for sure, I get the JL. If I had the opportunity to have multiple vehicles and I wasn't such a :scrooge: I would certainly have one.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 pm

too much :troywax: for me. I talked it over with the wife. I like my :gorf: too much to let it go right now.
I wouldn't pay $50k for it...but $50k is pushing the upper limits of what I'm willing to pay for any vehicle.

Low $40k like we paid is more palatable. Still pricey :doe: We'll see how well it holds its value, but hopefully it won't matter much if it stays for a while.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:53 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 pm

I wouldn't pay $50k for it...but $50k is pushing the upper limits of what I'm willing to pay for any vehicle.

Low $40k like we paid is more palatable. Still pricey :doe: We'll see how well it holds its value, but hopefully it won't matter much if it stays for a while.
It'll be over 30 for 3 years... not pending any Major oil crisis (which may happen, Saudis just got blown up). Then dip into the 20s for another 2... but 5 years... is eternity in :plac: land...

No one can predict the future with solid accuracy. I think the vehicle even at around 50k after tax is ok...

Speaking of... did you finance or pay cash? Did FCA put decent rates on it the wranglers yet? or still that 4.20%