Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:00 pm I spent like an hour on the RAM configurator last night. Laramie is the sweet spot IMO
It has everything anyone could possibly want in a vehicle. If it were me on my own, I'd go for a Big Horn, but the Laramie comes with suede inserts on the seats where her legs hit the bottom...which apparently is gamechanging because her legs don't stick to the seats when wearing shorts.

That leather is now a 100% must have requirement. I won't dare suggest otherwise.
Does the brown and tan interior come with the same suede? That green and gray two tone (two tone paint option deletes the chrome bumpers for like $100) with the brown and tan interior = JIMP
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 pm
It has everything anyone could possibly want in a vehicle. If it were me on my own, I'd go for a Big Horn, but the Laramie comes with suede inserts on the seats where her legs hit the bottom...which apparently is gamechanging because her legs don't stick to the seats when wearing shorts.

That leather is now a 100% must have requirement. I won't dare suggest otherwise.
Does the brown and tan interior come with the same suede? That green and gray two tone (two tone paint option deletes the chrome bumpers for like $100) with the brown and tan interior = JIMP
Wife hates the two tone...not to mention, the "green" is just black with green metallic in it. She wants the green color...but wants it green, not black. She apparently doesn't care what color it is as long as it's not Red. The hate for red is new.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:39 pm I do wonder if there's going to be another Ram salesathon in September for Labor Day. There were great Ram deals for 4th of July, but since we're leasing it probably won't matter much.

I am considering buying the Ram and leasing the Jeep, but :tits: even admitted that she'll probably want something else in 3 years so what's the point.

As nice as the Ram is, I really don't want to drive it every day. The thing is gargantuan. Sure, I'm comfortable in it, but navigating that barge around my daily traffic is a :nope: She wants to do it, so that's fine...but if I bought it and she gets sick of it then she needs to finish out the lease and not be a petulant child.
:notbad:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

She's 1000% right on the leather. I was ok with the big Horn but the leather seats are amazing in the Laramie and they come with butt coolers.

The Laramie has everything you could ever want.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Wife hates the two tone...not to mention, the "green" is just black with green metallic in it. She wants the green color...but wants it green, not black. She apparently doesn't care what color it is as long as it's not Red. The hate for red is new.
That's a boner kill. The website makes it look like the color on the last gen Outdoorsman trim or whatever it was called.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Heated steering wheel though?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:39 pm I do wonder if there's going to be another Ram salesathon in September for Labor Day. There were great Ram deals for 4th of July, but since we're leasing it probably won't matter much.

I am considering buying the Ram and leasing the Jeep, but :tits: even admitted that she'll probably want something else in 3 years so what's the point.

As nice as the Ram is, I really don't want to drive it every day. The thing is gargantuan. Sure, I'm comfortable in it, but navigating that barge around my daily traffic is a :nope: She wants to do it, so that's fine...but if I bought it and she gets sick of it then she needs to finish out the lease and not be a petulant child.
:notbad:
:lolol:

We'll see what happens. This is the first time she's chosen a vehicle 100% without input from me or any overall reservations.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Might as well kill youself if the vehicle doesn't have that (standard on the Laramie trim)...same with the suede/leather blended seats.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:26 pm
That's a boner kill. The website makes it look like the color on the last gen Outdoorsman trim or whatever it was called.
Yea, I know. IIRL, it looks black unless it's in bright sun.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:30 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:26 pm
I'm surprised you can't get the olive green from the LX platform cars on the RAM. I think Rebels would fly off the lots in that color.

Edit: maybe not with the red interior actually
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:30 pm
I'm surprised you can't get the olive green from the LX platform cars on the RAM. I think Rebels would fly off the lots in that color.

Edit: maybe not with the red interior actually
Man...the red interior elicited the WORST reaction from :tits: She absolutely despised it.

And I'll agree to an extent. It's a bit over the top, especially when compared to a Laramie which is :megusta:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:29 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Might as well kill youself if the vehicle doesn't have that (standard on the Laramie trim)...same with the suede/leather blended seats.
Agreed and understood.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:42 am Well, took :tits: to test drive some stuff at the :dillerman: on Saturday. I gave ZERO guidance on what to look at and drive, let her set her own budget, etc. The goal was to drive:

Compass
Grand Cherokee
Ram 1500

:dillerman: had a Compass in the showroom. One LOOK inside (didn't sit in it) was a :nope: for being "too small" and "too cheap".

That was easy.

They also had a Ram Rebel out front that she crawled around looked "badass" but the interior has a bunch of Rebel branding and red accents that "looks like it just fucked its cousin in the 909" (909 is the SoCal desert area code renowned for bro trucks). So the Rebel was out.

:dillerman: brought around a Grand Cherokee Laredo with a V6, sunroof, and loaded features. :tits: was surprisingly :notsure: upon getting in. She said it "felt old and somewhat cheap". Driving it she said it was "way too slow" and didn't "feel very comfy" whatever that means. We get back...and the Pièce De Résistance... :dillerman: brought around a Ram 1500 Laramie with 12" screen and panoramic sunroof.

We didn't even get in it before I could tell that was it. She was smitten with the outside. Inside, it was ridiculous. She raved about the suede/leather combo seats (unique to Laramie of course), and the 12" screen blew her mind. Then opening the panoramic sunroof set her over the top...and she hadn't even driven it yet. She floors it leaving the lot and the 5.7 Hemi ROARS with tire squeal undertones. "THIS is what I should be driving!" she exclaimed. I kept quiet the entire time, but it was clear she was sold.

And TBH, so was I. I was completely 100% blown away by the Ram. The Silverado is an embarrassment by comparison. Not just the quality of the interior which was bordering on German lux car quality, but the ride was incredible. The truck she drove has 22" wheels, and you'd never know it from the drive. It glided over everything with ease, and the rear coil springs REALLY showed their stuff with how compliant and easy it was to ride in. The thing felt like riding in a true luxury vehicle. Absolutely incredible.

So we'll be getting a Ram. Laramie Crew Cab with 12" screen, panoramic sunroof, and sport appearance package (which deletes all chrome and adds the nice leather buckets she loved so much). :dillerman: was quoting us ~$400/mo on a 10k mile lease for 36 mos with $0 down on a truck like that (the one they had with the 22's had too much crap we didn't care about on it, lease price pushing $500). Wife thinks $400 is "a steal" so I'm glad it fits her budget.

That means I'm focusing my efforts on a JL for myself. Maybe even a 2-door because it would be more fun and the Ram will do all our trips for us. :dillerman: was foaming at the mouth about the thought of a 2 vehicle :dill: so if we can find some vehicles in their inventory that works, we might be able to get a little extra on trade for the Volt or something. He even mentioned that I could order my Jeep and work a deal with a truck when the Jeep comes in...but he confirmed that I'd need to order in the next few weeks if I want it by September.

I told him to let us know if any :mindblown: deals pop up in the next month or so...maybe around Labor Day or something.
:neat: visit to the :dillerman: , glad that :tits: found the :truk: she likes. It actually sounds like a compelling spec, and you're :notwrong: about :gtfo: of her way and letting her make her own :dill: . Still infinitely cheaper then :baby: , so y'all get what you like!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

:popcorn:

She's right about the GC. It's old as hell and is showing it at this point.

Been saying the Ram is the best truck in the segment for some time now. Hemi sounds good, ride is good, new interior is pretty killer. Too bad FCA doesn't make a non-Jeep midsize truck.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:42 pm :popcorn:

Been saying the Ram is the best truck in the segment for some time now. Hemi sounds good, ride is good, new interior is pretty killer. Too bad FCA doesn't make a non-Jeep midsize truck.
The Ram destroys the other trucks from my experience. It's not even close. And I drove many T1 Silverados when I worked at GM. The Ram is just WAY nicer in every way.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:16 pm

The Ram destroys the other trucks from my experience. It's not even close. And I drove many T1 Silverados when I worked at GM. The Ram is just WAY nicer in every way.
Fords may have the better motors. Chevys may be more reliable long term. I think the Ram is the best everyday package for sure. Still plenty powerful and new lease so reliability doesn't matter.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:23 pm
Fords may have the better motors. Chevys may be more reliable long term. I think the Ram is the best everyday package for sure. Still plenty powerful and new lease so reliability doesn't matter.
Fca doesn’t have reliability issues. That’s just a myth from 1995. The 3.6,5.7 are all 300k mile powertrains which is 100 :plac: lifetimes. I’d only worry about consumables .... that 5.7 powered house will average 15 at best, and likely has a 26 gallon tank. It’s all fun and games at $2 a gallon, but once you guys edge to $4 where we are.... it’ll be $100+ fill ups which :triggered: everyone
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Fca doesn’t have reliability issues. That’s just a myth from 1995. The 3.6,5.7 are all 300k mile powertrains which is 100 :plac: lifetimes. I’d only worry about consumables .... that 5.7 powered house will average 15 at best, and likely has a 26 gallon tank. It’s all fun and games at $2 a gallon, but once you guys edge to $4 where we are.... it’ll be $100+ fill ups which :triggered: everyone
:tits: has like a 2 mile commute doe. Fill up every 6 months.
max225

:dat: while I do like the other 2, RAM is best. Main thing that sucks in the 5.7 unless they fixed it, is the 16 $8 each plugs every 40k miles and 89 fuel recommendation
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:54 pm

:tits: has like a 2 mile commute doe. Fill up every 6 months.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:55 pm
:dat: while I do like the other 2, RAM is best. Main thing that sucks in the 5.7 unless they fixed it, is the 16 $8 each plugs every 40k miles and 89 fuel recommendation
:aintcare: lease
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I know 3 people who've all got the new Ram Rebels. One is a local autocross friend that trailers his Kswapped miata in it. He LOVEs the airbag assist I think it is, where he can lower the rear to help get his car hauler hitched up. Guy I work with has one as well. He had a Titan before. I think he's got the V6 and loves it. Another friend was in the market and ended up in the Ram because of the price difference between the new F150 and Silverado. I kinda agree, the starting price for the Rams is the only one that seems affordable. I'd consider it if I wanted another full size, but I don't really need it.
Johnny_P

Why I have little interest in a truck. But the .gov will do everything in their power to keep gas prices low. And they won't get out of control anyway as we are a net oil exporter anymore.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:01 pm

Why I have little interest in a truck. But the .gov will do everything in their power to keep gas prices low. And they won't get out of control anyway as we are a net oil exporter anymore.
I dunno man ... $4 a gallon isn’t “low” and Alaska/ny/commifornia/Hawaii are all there already. I think some of the south/texass would lose their shit at these prices ... meanwhile :aintcare: out here ...
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:57 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:55 pm

:aintcare: lease
$400 a month (taxes included) with 0 down is epic....