Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:My experience is that they provide more controlled, even damping over the nasty stuff.....don't know if they improve lap times doe because I am a Hooters meat up driver only.
Right, I'm sure they're better than stock but compared to the Koni FSD, Ridetech/Fox, or Viking offerings who knows? Most of us have only tried at most one of those options and they're all in a similar price range with similar missions. That's why I try to ask guys like Strano who have driven a lot of cars and tested a lot of parts for advice.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:01 am I knew that modz are a money flush, but the base value of the car is also dropping, so it makes it even harder. I should really just keep it.

The employee deals are only on 18's, and most of what's left around here are 1LEs...I think maybe because people don't buy them here since the roads are so straight. I'd absolutely be just as happy with a base SS with mag ride, but they're not around. Would be fun to start going to the track again without the fear of :nuke: , but then again there's almost no tracks around me, so I don't know how often I'd do it.

I'll probably go checkout and drive the 1LE next week and see what I think. May result in :plac: may not. Luckily the dealer we're working with is on Baghdad streets, so it'll be easy to tell quickly how it drives on the stuff I'm :rage: about.
FWIW, taking the car to a track will make you all :fuckyeah: on it again. It's really an awesome and very durable platform for that, I've had a lot of fun doing it a few times this year and will continue to do so. That said, I'm still considering :plac: , but that's really because it's my only car.

Only trouble is, you'll probably need to upgrade the brakes for tracking since you have the :plaid: power.
You're absolutely right, but that's the problem with where I live. The closest decent track is a 4 hour drive away, which means an overnight stay or serious driving to have fun. Then I'm driving the car there and back and run the real risk of breaking it and being stranded. This area just isn't the place to have fun.

I've pretty much given up on tracking. I just want something stupid fast for the street that's fun and (somewhat) comfortable. That's where Troy's suggestion of talking to Strano about comfortable street suspension setups might be worth it. I'm running C6Z shocks that I bought new on sale from Rock Auto for $200 for the set of 4. They perform better than OEM shocks should, but if FSDs are more comfortable on the street, it could be worth the change.

I drove the car yesterday, really have next to no desire to :plac: I'd rather just play around with it a bit to see if I can make it a bit more livable on the street and call it. I'd have to sell it for less than I want to, and I just don't see the point. Doesn't look like I'll have time to go see the 1LE this week anyway, so oh well.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

FWIW the base C6 shock/spring setup is VERY compliant and makes a perfect DD setup.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:51 am FWIW the base C6 shock/spring setup is VERY compliant and makes a perfect DD setup.
I don't doubt that...perhaps I should consider it.

My biggest thing is that I still want it to be sporty should I decide to go to the track or auto-x. That's why something like the FSDs or adjustable Fox/Ridetech or Viking shocks intrigue me. Fortunately, I'm already on stock springs.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Woa...almost a year since posting in here. :impressive:

Cleaned up the :poorvette: yesterday after driving it nearly daily for a month.

Been 3 years since applying CQuartz, and it's incredible what a wash with Reset and a quick wipe down with Reload does for it.

I still absolutely love this car. Even with nearly DDing it for a month, it's just so much fun. Now that my commute is on epic roads, my complaints are nill. The computer seems to have taught itself how to drive well, and I've taken the top off almost every day for the last week or so. I find few things more enjoyable than brubbing along with the top off in nice weather after a long day...especially with the occasional take-off from a light for a quick 1-2 rip. The whole thing just works so well.

Remarkable lack of :plac: thoughts right now.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Nice! Also still really like that color it seems quite rare
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:52 am Nice! Also still really like that color it seems quite rare
Spiral Gray was only in 03 and 04, and volume was somewhat limited. It's rare to see another one. Super rare to find one with black interior (most were tan/beige :gag: ) and :manuel:

I've really grown to like the color. Changes color a bit depending on the light, and manages to keep the C5 more modern feeling. With the anthracite Z06 wheels and red accents (calipers and center cap logos), the whole thing really pops IMO.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:01 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:52 am Nice! Also still really like that color it seems quite rare
Spiral Gray was only in 03 and 04, and volume was somewhat limited. It's rare to see another one. Super rare to find one with black interior (most were tan/beige :gag: ) and :manuel:

I've really grown to like the color. Changes color a bit depending on the light, and manages to keep the C5 more modern feeling. With the anthracite Z06 wheels and red accents (calipers and center cap logos), the whole thing really pops IMO.
Yep that sounds about right. The car looks oem which I really like. That’s the only thing that ages over time.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:07 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:01 am

Yep that sounds about right. The car looks oem which I really like. That’s the only thing that ages over time.
I've always been a fan of "OEM+" I haven't done anything aesthetically to the car that didn't come from the OEM. It helps that the C5Z wheels are my favorite wheel design maybe ever.

As I get older, I appreciate OEM more and more. My interest in aftermarket stuff has waned significantly. Especially when I think about my eventual Jeep.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:07 am
I've always been a fan of "OEM+" I haven't done anything aesthetically to the car that didn't come from the OEM. It helps that the C5Z wheels are my favorite wheel design maybe ever.

As I get older, I appreciate OEM more and more. My interest in aftermarket stuff has waned significantly. Especially when I think about my eventual Jeep.
Same exact thoughts.

I’ll just buy the better car at this point no point in wasting all this money on “upgrades” to lose it when you’re done
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:27 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 am

Same exact thoughts.

I’ll just buy the better car at this point no point in wasting all this money on “upgrades” to lose it when you’re done
I struggle with this on my next purchase.

I'll be picking up a Gladiator.

A Sport S does everything I want/need with convenience and tech packs. Add the max tow package and it has Rubicon axles (without lockers). Rubicon fender flares will bolt on and enable 35's without a suspension lift. That's all I could want, and all-in cheaper than a Rubicon by $3k.

But that $3k in the grand scheme isn't really that much, and if a Rubicon will hold it's value better/sell faster, then it's really peanuts in price difference.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I like the gray wheels on the gray car. M235i's can be had in that combo and IMO its sharp.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:27 am
Same exact thoughts.

A Sport S does everything I want/need with convenience and tech packs. Add the max tow package and it has Rubicon axles (without lockers). Rubicon fender flares will bolt on and enable 35's without a suspension lift. That's all I could want, and all-in cheaper than a Rubicon by $3k.

But that $3k in the grand scheme isn't really that much, and if a Rubicon will hold it's value better/sell faster, then it's really peanuts in price difference.
3k on a 45k vehicle. :ayfkm: just get the better vehicle. Get the rubicunt and call it a day. There is very little actual upcharge for that trim level.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Funny. As I get older I'm more interested in the aftermarket stuff since I know better (and have more money) to be able to buy quality stuff that does what I want it to do - especially suspension stuff.

OEM setups designed to understeer and built by the lowest bidder might be better than alibaba coilovers, but some $3000 Penskes valved properly for the application are going to be hard to beat. Same idea with lightweight smaller diameter :ramz: - most OEM shit is big and heavy, C5Z speedlines being a rare exception.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 am

3k on a 45k vehicle. :ayfkm: just get the better vehicle. Get the rubicunt and call it a day. There is very little actual upcharge for that trim level.
The biggest challenge is showing restraint on the order sheet. Rubicon opens up so many more options that jacks the price fast. I'd get a base Rubicon with auto, hardtop, cold weather, and proximity entry and that's it.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:19 pm Funny. As I get older I'm more interested in the aftermarket stuff since I know better (and have more money) to be able to buy quality stuff that does what I want it to do - especially suspension stuff.

OEM setups designed to understeer and built by the lowest bidder might be better than alibaba coilovers, but some $3000 Penskes valved properly for the application are going to be hard to beat. Same idea with lightweight smaller diameter :ramz: - most OEM shit is big and heavy, C5Z speedlines being a rare exception.
I'm just losing interest in messing with cars as I get older. I want something fun that I don't worry about that doesn't need a lot. I love my :poorvette: but I doubt I'd do everything to it today that I did a few years ago. Shifting priorities I guess.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:28 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:16 pm

The biggest challenge is showing restraint on the order sheet. Rubicon opens up so many more options that jacks the price fast. I'd get a base Rubicon with auto, hardtop, cold weather, and proximity entry and that's it.
Well yea, that's the issue I have had as well. But you have to look at it apples to apples. Ordering HIDs+Leather+other crap will quickly add 1000s, and its not fair to compare that to a sport.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 am Woa...almost a year since posting in here. :impressive:

Cleaned up the :poorvette: yesterday after driving it nearly daily for a month.

Been 3 years since applying CQuartz, and it's incredible what a wash with Reset and a quick wipe down with Reload does for it.

I still absolutely love this car. Even with nearly DDing it for a month, it's just so much fun. Now that my commute is on epic roads, my complaints are nill. The computer seems to have taught itself how to drive well, and I've taken the top off almost every day for the last week or so. I find few things more enjoyable than brubbing along with the top off in nice weather after a long day...especially with the occasional take-off from a light for a quick 1-2 rip. The whole thing just works so well.

Remarkable lack of :plac: thoughts right now.
Great looking car man.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:28 pm
Well yea, that's the issue I have had as well. But you have to look at it apples to apples. Ordering HIDs+Leather+other crap will quickly add 1000s, and its not fair to compare that to a sport.
Speaking of options, what's interesting to me about Gladiator Sport S is availability of Adaptive cruise control. You can add it to a loaded Sport S, which is pretty much base Rubicon content with ACC. To get ACC on a Rubicon, you need to full max it out, driving the price difference between an ACC Sport S and ACC Rubicon to well over $10k.

I've always wanted adaptive cruise control because it seems like I'm always behind people that can't use normal cruise control. There's many times where I don't even use CC because I simply can't. For the long drives we do, would be SUPER nice to have.
max225

See the C5 was very similar to what I wanted with my E46 M3, when I had it except i had a major "meet your heroes" moment when you realize how shit of a chassis+engine the E46 really is with age. At least you can completely rebuild the entire C5 powertrain for ~5-7k. That barely gets you started on the S54. Just too expensive for what it is, a weekend toy that simply isn't reliable, while the C5 isn't exactly reliable due to age at this point at least it is relatively cheap to fix.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:11 pm See the C5 was very similar to what I wanted with my E46 M3, when I had it except i had a major "meet your heroes" moment when you realize how shit of a chassis+engine the E46 really is with age. At least you can completely rebuild the entire C5 powertrain for ~5-7k. That barely gets you started on the S54. Just too expensive for what it is, a weekend toy that simply isn't reliable, while the C5 isn't exactly reliable due to age at this point at least it is relatively cheap to fix.
The C5 is really a great toy/fun vehicle. They are surprisingly cheap and simple to fix, and since there's so many of them, the procedure to replace/fix pretty much everything is well documented.

Mine has pretty much everything that could go wrong addressed at this point. It should be problem free for a while. The only things that worry me are aftermarket parts failing, but I didn't cheap out on anything, so I should be good there too.

With the values of things dropping, it makes me way less inclined to get rid of mine, but they pose a serious value to someone looking to get into such a vehicle.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:15 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:11 pm See the C5 was very similar to what I wanted with my E46 M3, when I had it except i had a major "meet your heroes" moment when you realize how shit of a chassis+engine the E46 really is with age. At least you can completely rebuild the entire C5 powertrain for ~5-7k. That barely gets you started on the S54. Just too expensive for what it is, a weekend toy that simply isn't reliable, while the C5 isn't exactly reliable due to age at this point at least it is relatively cheap to fix.
The C5 is really a great toy/fun vehicle. They are surprisingly cheap and simple to fix, and since there's so many of them, the procedure to replace/fix pretty much everything is well documented.

Mine has pretty much everything that could go wrong addressed at this point. It should be problem free for a while. The only things that worry me are aftermarket parts failing, but I didn't cheap out on anything, so I should be good there too.

With the values of things dropping, it makes me way less inclined to get rid of mine, but they pose a serious value to someone looking to get into such a vehicle.
By 100k miles unfortunately a lot of shit will fail on a C5...
ABS control module
TPMS
Window control module
HVAC display
Leaky ass
Leaky battery
likely OPS
On pre 01 models oil burning
headlight gears unless you literally don't use em
Rear hatch paint
04 model fuel issues
Z06 valve spring non sense
Suspension and clutch usually by 100k
etc etc old car shit can add up fast to the value of the entire vehicle. But it does have very cheap parts and is made like crap so it is easy to pull it apart and fix. So irony becomes... even though it s a "cheap" vehicle to buy the $ value of parts to keep it going quickly approaches it's value if you wanted it close to factory perfect.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:15 pm

By 100k miles unfortunately a lot of shit will fail on a C5...
ABS control module
TPMS
Window control module
HVAC display
Leaky ass
Leaky battery
likely OPS
On pre 01 models oil burning
headlight gears unless you literally don't use em
Rear hatch paint
04 model fuel issues
Z06 valve spring non sense
Suspension and clutch usually by 100k
etc etc old car shit can add up fast to the value of the entire vehicle. But it does have very cheap parts and is made like crap so it is easy to pull it apart and fix. So irony becomes... even though it s a "cheap" vehicle to buy the $ value of parts to keep it going quickly approaches it's value if you wanted it close to factory perfect.
Assuming you buy one that's not been maintained...A lot of these are well cared for.

mine for example has all of those issues above addressed...except for the headlights because I never use them...when I do they work so whatever.

My car is realistically a $15k car. For something that should have zero worry about driving another 50k+ miles without touching it, that's a pretty good value IMO.
max225

In todays world yep. And you probably spent what 7k + 100 hrs of your time making it nice?