Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Wrenching mayhem Friday and Saturday went quite smoothly. Weather turned to shit, so I didn't bother putting insurance back on the car because I wasn't going to drive it anyway. Hopefully next week.

Decided that since I was going to take the effort to paint the calipers and changing lines, I might as well rebuild the calipers to make sure they're solid for a while and I don't have to deal with removing lines again. All of the pistons were in great shape, but it felt good to get all new seals and whatnot. FYI to owners with stock brakes, AC Delco makes a fantastic rebuild kit with all seals, boots, assembly lube, and pin grease. Had them all rebuilt in just over an hour.

Used red G2 paint with the calipers off the car. That stuff is legit :impressive: the self-leveling worked great for a smooth finish, and the color is a great bright red that matches the fuel rail covers on the engine nicely. Really pleased with the end result. Installed with Russel SS lines and bled with Motul using my power bleeder. Best tool ever, BTW.

Also installed the shifter box that came back as a work of art and a new receiver headunit to bring the car into the new millennium with :mindblown: features such as bluetooth and HD radio. Sounds pretty solid overall.

This weekend should finally be nice enough to get the thing on the road. I can't wait. Felt great to be working on the car too.

I neglected photos to dodge claims of the car being totaled from surface rust on the rotors.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 am
I neglected photos to dodge claims of the car being totaled from surface rust on the rotors.
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Good to know about G2, I need to paint some calipers.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 pm Good to know about G2, I need to paint some calipers.
It's seriously 5/7. The brush application takes longer than spray to get full coverage, but the stuff stays wet for a long time, and in doing so gets really smooth. I'm surprised by how well it turned out.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:29 am
Melon wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 pm Good to know about G2, I need to paint some calipers.
It's seriously 5/7. The brush application takes longer than spray to get full coverage, but the stuff stays wet for a long time, and in doing so gets really smooth. I'm surprised by how well it turned out.
Works for me, I'm not planning on rebuilding the ones I need to paint, so brushing will make getting into the nooks and crannies a bit easier.
ChrisoftheNorth

I really went back and forth on rebuilding the calipers. But ultimately I decided that if I'm going through the effort to swap lines (draining fluid) and painting them, I might as well take the extra hour to rebuild so I don't have to worry about doing this all again.

It was probably unnecessary after going through them, but it's just one more thing on the car that's new. Camdalf doesn't have much left that hasn't been touched.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:15 am I really went back and forth on rebuilding the calipers. But ultimately I decided that if I'm going through the effort to swap lines (draining fluid) and painting them, I might as well take the extra hour to rebuild so I don't have to worry about doing this all again.

It was probably unnecessary after going through them, but it's just one more thing on the car that's new. Camdalf doesn't have much left that hasn't been touched.
I'm talking about the rears on the E30.
I might look into it. I'm just not confident I'll do it properly, and I have a special hatred for brake fluid.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:15 am I really went back and forth on rebuilding the calipers. But ultimately I decided that if I'm going through the effort to swap lines (draining fluid) and painting them, I might as well take the extra hour to rebuild so I don't have to worry about doing this all again.

I might look into it. I'm just not confident I'll do it properly, and I have a special hatred for brake fluid.
I'm not familiar with the rear calipers on an e30, but calipers are USUALLY pretty easy to rebuild. Just pop out the piston(s) with air, replace seals, lube and reassemble.

I too have a hatred for brake fluid, and that's why I went through all this. I hope to never have to deal with this much brake fluid again on this car.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:52 am
Melon wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 am

I'm not familiar with the rear calipers on an e30, but calipers are USUALLY pretty easy to rebuild. Just pop out the piston(s) with air, replace seals, lube and reassemble.

I too have a hatred for brake fluid, and that's why I went through all this. I hope to never have to deal with this much brake fluid again on this car.
:dat:

assuming they're single piston, floating calipers, I'd rebuild them if parts are available. Seals are cheap, but replacement pistons can be spendy sometimes.

Drain as much fluid as possible
push out pistons with compressed air (or get brake piston pliers)
Clean everything with denatured alcohol
reassemble.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:17 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:52 am

assuming they're single piston, floating calipers, I'd rebuild them if parts are available. Seals are cheap, but replacement pistons can be spendy sometimes.

Drain as much fluid as possible
push out pistons with compressed air (or get brake piston pliers)
Clean everything with denatured alcohol
reassemble.
:dat: It's really not hard.
ChrisoftheNorth

Insurance is back on the :poorvette:

Tonight is final brake bleed, wheels go on, and :stig:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm Insurance is back on the :poorvette:

ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Bruising Woodward.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I drove mine today
Going to take all the vinyl off and wash it, done with racing this season. Time for driving.

Also the DW rears are done, making for slippidy slideways action.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:12 pm I drove mine today
Going to take all the vinyl off and wash it, done with racing this season. Time for driving.

Also the DW rears are done, making for slippidy slideways action.
Racing season is just getting started up here.

:lolol:

I just can't wait to get back to brubbin'.
wap

:fuckyeah: :plaid:
ChrisoftheNorth

I've had the car out since Saturday. Drove it to work today. Ohhhhh man does it feel good to have Camdalf back bruising the streets. I completely forgot how visceral the car is and how :lolol: the acceleration is.

Some thoughts:

- The Toyo T1 Sport tires are 5/7 so far. Excellent acceleration grip, quiet, :notbad: initial impression
- Upgraded the HU to a $100 Sony HU with bluetooth and HD radio. So nice to have bluetooth in the car finally and HD radio is one of my favorite, most over-looked things
- Pro tip: Anyone installing an HU in a :poorvette: it sounds like crap if you don't max out the gains on the converter box for the Blose audio amps
- Shifter box rebuild mod is 5/7. It feels much more direct and mechanical than before. So many people upgrade shifters and complain about the results...the box is where the magic happens for sure
- Raised the suspension a little bit, still lower than stock, but higher than it was. Looks pretty solid, ride is much better with less scraping
- G2 caliper paint is 5/7, but I have some more bleeding to do to get all the air out of the brake lines (pedal still a tad spongey)

I have some work to do tightening up the windows and the roof that seem to rattle a bit. This is new from last year, which is :notsure: but there's always something to chase.
wap

Sounds like you've got 5/7 summertime brubs ahead of you. :megusta:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:03 pm I've had the car out since Saturday. Drove it to work today. Ohhhhh man does it feel good to have Camdalf back bruising the streets. I completely forgot how visceral the car is and how :lolol: the acceleration is.

Some thoughts:

- The Toyo T1 Sport tires are 5/7 so far. Excellent acceleration grip, quiet, :notbad: initial impression
- Upgraded the HU to a $100 Sony HU with bluetooth and HD radio. So nice to have bluetooth in the car finally and HD radio is one of my favorite, most over-looked things
- Pro tip: Anyone installing an HU in a :poorvette: it sounds like crap if you don't max out the gains on the converter box for the Blose audio amps
- Shifter box rebuild mod is 5/7. It feels much more direct and mechanical than before. So many people upgrade shifters and complain about the results...the box is where the magic happens for sure
- Raised the suspension a little bit, still lower than stock, but higher than it was. Looks pretty solid, ride is much better with less scraping
- G2 caliper paint is 5/7, but I have some more bleeding to do to get all the air out of the brake lines (pedal still a tad spongey)

I have some work to do tightening up the windows and the roof that seem to rattle a bit. This is new from last year, which is :notsure: but there's always something to chase.
Deets?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:03 pm I've had the car out since Saturday. Drove it to work today. Ohhhhh man does it feel good to have Camdalf back bruising the streets. I completely forgot how visceral the car is and how :lolol: the acceleration is.

Some thoughts:

Deets?
Not sure if it's the same in the C6, but in C5's with Blose audio, the door speakers are amplified. As such, you can't just connect an HU to them, they need some converter box BS. Metra makes a harness with the box built-in, so you just plug n play. When I first put it together, I could barely hear anything out of the front speakers. Thinking I screwed something up, I pulled the wiring out and noticed gainz controls on the box. I cranked them all the way up and the front speakers sound normal again.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:27 pm Deets?
Not sure if it's the same in the C6, but in C5's with Blose audio, the door speakers are amplified. As such, you can't just connect an HU to them, they need some converter box BS. Metra makes a harness with the box built-in, so you just plug n play. When I first put it together, I could barely hear anything out of the front speakers. Thinking I screwed something up, I pulled the wiring out and noticed gainz controls on the box. I cranked them all the way up and the front speakers sound normal again.
I had the same experience. It sounds decent now with the Kenwood/Blose combo, solid update for $100, really brings the car into the 21st Century nicely.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, I waited way too long to upgrade. I'd been waiting for a double din Android Auto HU, but ultimately am way too :scrooge: for that. Bluetooth and HD radio is a 5/7 improvement.
ChrisoftheNorth

Man, placitis is flaring bad...but not even to buy anything else, just to do silly things with the ZR2.

Car's been driving great, I somewhat got the window fixed after the disaster road last week, and while it's absolutely :lolol: I don't get the opportunity to enjoy it the way I want to. I spend so much time sitting in traffic and driving on roads with low speed limits, it's getting to be :rage: to have any sort of fun car.

To make matters worse, I spent yesterday cleaning it, getting it all primped. Go to drive it to work today, and passenger side window is dead, the security light is on in the dash (no idea if it'll let me get home tonight), and the "service active handling/traction control" is flashing...a fix I did 3 years ago.

Modding is fun, fixing broken shit is less so. Ugh old cars.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:27 am Man, placitis is flaring bad...but not even to buy anything else, just to do silly things with the ZR2.

Car's been driving great, I somewhat got the window fixed after the disaster road last week, and while it's absolutely :lolol: I don't get the opportunity to enjoy it the way I want to. I spend so much time sitting in traffic and driving on roads with low speed limits, it's getting to be :rage: to have any sort of fun car.

To make matters worse, I spent yesterday cleaning it, getting it all primped. Go to drive it to work today, and passenger side window is dead, the security light is on in the dash (no idea if it'll let me get home tonight), and the "service active handling/traction control" is flashing...a fix I did 3 years ago.

Sorry dude. Re-fixing stuff you already fixed is a huge bummer.

I also know the feels of having a sporty/fast-ish car that you can't really use. Kind of why I enjoyed the Miata so much. Summer is almost here, the roads will get fixed, and you can take it on morning romps on the weekend without worrying too much.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:27 am Man, placitis is flaring bad...but not even to buy anything else, just to do silly things with the ZR2.

Go on....