Brad's Garage, It's not easy being Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:53 pm To be clear if I was to dip my toe into motorcycles, the Grom would be my starting point. Seems like a place to build skills B4 splattering my :melon:
:dat:

We've talked about getting scooters or something to cruise around town on...I'd probably go Grom. This seems :notbad:

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2 ... 78987.html
The aftermarket for these things slays me. Literally like Jr. Hotrodding.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:53 pm To be clear if I was to dip my toe into motorcycles, the Grom would be my starting point. Seems like a place to build skills B4 splattering my :melon:

We've talked about getting scooters or something to cruise around town on...I'd probably go Grom. This seems :notbad:

thats not a bad price with all those upgrades if its sorted. You'd want to get the stock rearsets though due to your height. They are cheap even if this dude sold them.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:07 pm

A few friends and I talked about each getting a Honda Ruckus for mobbing down to the beach and around that part of town on. Would be fun. I don't know the difference between those and Grom, other than that the Ruckus looks more like a scooter.
Ruckus is the same price (or more), but goes slower. Most top out around 50 mph, which can be sketchy on some surface roads around here.

Grom has an actual transmission, clutch, etc more of a mini motorcycle.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:08 pm

The aftermarket for these things slays me. Literally like Jr. Hotrodding.
It's hilarious. Would be a fun little thing to tinker with for sure.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

A few friends and I talked about each getting a Honda Ruckus for mobbing down to the beach and around that part of town on. Would be fun. I don't know the difference between those and Grom, other than that the Ruckus looks more like a scooter.
ruckus = slow scooter. Auto trans, just twist and go

Grom= slow, but fun, motorcycle.

Honestly the new (to US) honda cub that is coming out would be a perfect beach town ride. Its an auto trans like the scoot but has gears. It also comes with ABS
Last edited by goIftdibrad on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 pm

thats not a bad price with all those upgrades if its sorted. You'd want to get the stock rearsets though due to your height. They are cheap even if this dude sold them.
What's a "rearset"?
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Honestly the new (to US) honda cub that is coming out would be a perfect beat town ride. Its an auto trans like the scoot but has gears. It also comes with ABS
:word: I'll have to look up the CUb.
ChrisoftheNorth

Honestly the new (to US) honda cub that is coming out would be a perfect beat town ride. Its an auto trans like the scoot but has gears. It also comes with ABS
https://jalopnik.com/honda-is-bringing- ... 1826685548

Oh, wow. :notbad:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:12 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 pm

What's a "rearset"?

Where you put your feet. Those ones he installed are higher up and further back, more of a sport riding position. The stock position is very comfortable, even for tall guys. Hell you have seen :melon: and I.
The downside to the stock position is once you get better at going around corners quickly they begin to scrape. It would take you a very long time to get there as a n00b.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:14 pm

Yas, room for you and 5 Thai hookers.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:17 pm

You haven't lived until you get a ride from a thai tranny back to your hotel
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Ruckus is the same price (or more), but goes slower. Most top out around 50 mph, which can be sketchy on some surface roads around here.

Thats a decent deal with all those good upgrades. I have all that and then some done to mine at this point.

As the only member that has owned a ruck and then the grom as soon as it released, and at the same time, a ruck is nearly pointless unless you were on a small college campus. It can barely do 45mph with a 200lb rider on a modded stock engine. Only way to break 45 mph is motor swap it. Its superb for easy derp scooter riding. You can drive it one handed.

A Grom is a LOT better for multi purpose fun, but actual riding and transport. Not scooter derping. Its a more engaging vehicle and a great way to enter into bikes. The market is still hot with them, so no a Grom isnt the best deal in terms of bikes. Its a hands down better deal than a ruckus.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Thats a decent deal with all those good upgrades. I have all that and then some done to mine at this point.

As the only member that has owned a ruck and then the grom as soon as it released, and at the same time, a ruck is nearly pointless unless you were on a small college campus. It can barely do 45mph with a 200lb rider on a modded stock engine. Only way to break 45 mph is motor swap it. Its superb for easy derp scooter riding. You can drive it one handed.

A Grom is a LOT better for multi purpose fun, but actual riding and transport. Not scooter derping. Its a more engaging vehicle and a great way to enter into bikes. The market is still hot with them, so no a Grom isnt the best deal in terms of bikes. Its a hands down better deal than a ruckus.
Good info!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Did we not discuss this from :fax: and :dubshow: attend the smoky mountain crawl?? They released them there in TN at the even. Was great for honda to support such and odd event.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm

POTD
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:51 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Good info!
https://jalopnik.com/why-the-cult-of-th ... 1792018304
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:33 am Did the OEM TPS recalibration and did it in the power commander. Double checked cam timing. The AFR trim at 100% throttle and around idle are sorted. I did an ignition cut from WOT and the plug looks good. FYI AFR targets at high loads are set at 13.1

I guess nest step is to check compression, but any ideas from the peanut gallery as to why I'm not making power? I'd expect lots of holes in the map to sort out but WOT above 7k seems good.... but still no power.
Fuel pressure, flow, air in fuel. Etc.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:09 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:33 am Did the OEM TPS recalibration and did it in the power commander. Double checked cam timing. The AFR trim at 100% throttle and around idle are sorted. I did an ignition cut from WOT and the plug looks good. FYI AFR targets at high loads are set at 13.1

I guess nest step is to check compression, but any ideas from the peanut gallery as to why I'm not making power? I'd expect lots of holes in the map to sort out but WOT above 7k seems good.... but still no power.
Fuel pressure, flow, air in fuel. Etc.
but the plug looks good and the afr is on target?
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I am also going to get a fuel tank of 93 oct, just to be sure. I honestly can remember the last gas we put in them groms.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Built in grab bar :notbad:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

of course autozone does not have the right compression tester to rent, only for sale and its 50 bucks. 20 on amazon. more waiting i guess. Let's hope the sunday delivery is not a lie this week.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Grom is burning so much oil its pulling fuel at WOT. Like prob 1/4 of a quart in a tank of gas. Like 2 stroke levels. Guess shes getting pull apart tomorrow :(
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

rough-rough

well...dang

sooo.... the pistons marks here are so light that you can't feel them with the finger. i think its ok to reuse, what yall say?
Also, since i toasted the oil rings.... think its ok to pull the ones from the stock piston and reuse? The main rings are fine.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

jug ordered.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Worst case is reusing bad parts ruins the new parts and wastes time. I can't really tell enough from those pics, but I have definitely polished and reused pistons like that in the past with no real issues.