Brad's Garage, It's not easy being Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

car 'fixed'. seals changed, not leaking, idle is solid...still throwing a cel :rolleyes:
vagcom is loaned out so can't pull code. I'm in clear in inspection due to pandemic.
if it's a minor vac leak.... :aintcare:

also, the air compressor is fixed. work was done today. tomorrow a Moto ride and some Miata hardtop sanding
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Now the car is leaking coolant again..from the same lower radiator hose. I'll drive it this week at some point to see if i fixed it....
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Still leaking coolant :rolleyes: new hose ordered. Hopefully it comes in soon.

With the move coming up i decided to pay someone to paint the Miata stuff. Then I'll change the oil and poke around under it to make sure its GTG for the move.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

New hose installed. Old one definitely looked like it had an issue at connection, new one appears to be holding in all the watery bits.

oil changed on the miata, poverty spec tires installed. One of the nice wheels still has a slow leak, and also dont want to transport on the nice wheels
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

just went an picked up the miata hardtop and it looks NICE.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I like how we're not reporting on getting anything ready to move except for cars.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:28 pm I like how we're not reporting on getting anything ready to move except for cars.
Thats the other thread. But yes, had to get the cars ready. Looking like the miata will ride a trailer down anyway, so mute point. I have to decide if i spend the time working on it tonight or bring it up there slightly busted and deal with later. I think the answer has to be slightly busted.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

done with car work before the move. Miata is probably riding a trailer down, but i wanted to at least mostly 'unfuck' it before i left. I also ordered the hardtop side latches but will delay install until i get to TN.

SOOOOO..... the fact-o-bake paint jerb actually looks pretty decent. This car was my diamond in the rough. Still have some work to do to get it better, but its a solid 10 footer now.

once i got it apart, the damage is a little worse than i thought. I used the hammer to move things to where they were out the way.

Lets look at another 'before' pic :

now...the payoff.... daylight....and its not even clean right now.

after replacing the trim panel. Yes, I put the poverty steelies back on for its potential drive up. But its just so....nice now.

brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

That looks pretty good! :like:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:14 pm That looks pretty good! :like:
It's shiny? That's a lot more than most NA's are.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:15 pm
Apex wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:14 pm That looks pretty good! :like:
It's shiny? That's a lot more than most NA's are.
:dat:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:39 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:28 pm I like how we're not reporting on getting anything ready to move except for cars.
Thats the other thread. But yes, had to get the cars ready. Looking like the miata will ride a trailer down anyway, so mute point. I have to decide if i spend the time working on it tonight or bring it up there slightly busted and deal with later. I think the answer has to be slightly busted.
:triggered:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

But seriously, that looks really good!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:09 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Why’s that?
Also, what would you replace it with?
it's leaking transmission fluid, so a new leak.  Occam's razor says that's it's likely in the bell housing because that's what was touched.  so throw another 1k at car.  transmission getting confused and not going into gear getting worse in general.  plus I'm looking at 30 miles a day in a year on a car that takes preium fuel.

Gen 2 volt is the strongest contender. won't use gas for commute and takes 87 when you do feed it.  modern infotainment.  comfortable. I want to find one locally to drive and see if I like.

now that I'm committed to 3 car life again...and the motorcycle... I don't want to have all the cars be 10 years old or older. I like my weekends and don't want to have to work on the fleet all the time. getting my car, the one that gets used the most, to being newer will go a long way to cut down on the amount of time I'm forced to wrench. Between the Miata and the motorcycle I'll have plenty of equipment to get my kicks on the roads around here.
posting here for continued discussion
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:27 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:09 pm

it's leaking transmission fluid, so a new leak.  Occam's razor says that's it's likely in the bell housing because that's what was touched.  so throw another 1k at car.  transmission getting confused and not going into gear getting worse in general.  plus I'm looking at 30 miles a day in a year on a car that takes preium fuel.

Gen 2 volt is the strongest contender. won't use gas for commute and takes 87 when you do feed it.  modern infotainment.  comfortable. I want to find one locally to drive and see if I like.

now that I'm committed to 3 car life again...and the motorcycle... I don't want to have all the cars be 10 years old or older. I like my weekends and don't want to have to work on the fleet all the time. getting my car, the one that gets used the most, to being newer will go a long way to cut down on the amount of time I'm forced to wrench. Between the Miata and the motorcycle I'll have plenty of equipment to get my kicks on the roads around here.
I can feel this. I don't take the vette out, the oil is out of the Meowta currently until I get pull the motor to figure out the rod knock, and looked at my last fillup and my Silverado is at 235K miles. Truck is doing good, but I'm weary of having to spend money on it. An eco daily would be kinda nice, but I don't want 4 cars.
If you can get a Volt for that cheap go for it. My buddy's brother apparently just bought a used Prius for $500. Wtf. I'd sport that for a while if I ran across it and all it needed some was cheap maintenance like brakes and shit.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:11 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:27 am

I can feel this. I don't take the vette out, the oil is out of the Meowta currently until I get pull the motor to figure out the rod knock, and looked at my last fillup and my Silverado is at 235K miles. Truck is doing good, but I'm weary of having to spend money on it. An eco daily would be kinda nice, but I don't want 4 cars.
If you can get a Volt for that cheap go for it. My buddy's brother apparently just bought a used Prius for $500. Wtf. I'd sport that for a while if I ran across it and all it needed some was cheap maintenance like brakes and shit.
yea a 20-30k mile volt is 14-17 k and I can probably get 5 to 6 for my car. cheap new reliable runabout.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I'm going to test drive one at lunch. :doomed:
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:28 am I'm going to test drive one at lunch. :doomed:
:waiting:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:51 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:28 am I'm going to test drive one at lunch. :doomed:
:waiting:
I liked it. I'm going to clean up my car today and list it for sale, and then go from there. once my car is sold I'll look more seriously.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I'm over the GTI. it's listed for sale. hopefully I can find a car I like within a reasonable distance that I can get a trade on
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:07 pm I'm over the GTI. it's listed for sale. hopefully I can find a car I like within a reasonable distance that I can get a trade on
in4Prius
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:43 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:07 pm I'm over the GTI. it's listed for sale. hopefully I can find a car I like within a reasonable distance that I can get a trade on
in4Prius
:stfu:
brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

in4Prius
:wtf:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:49 pm

in4Prius
:stfu:
:lolol:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:ohwell: L8R VW

You still thinking Volt? Or is there another vehicle in consideration?