Brad's Garage, It's not easy being Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 am

as do i, and the wifes likes it. but the ones in our price range dont have nav. got to try and talk her out of nav.... compromises, used cars, etc.
Why Nav? Waze and Google Maps is immensely better than the OE integrated stuff.
Agree. Wife likes having the map handy on screen, and i have to agree its nice. However id rather save on nav and get a legit phone mount that replaces the nav.

Besides, speaking in honda/ Acura land, the nav on the rdx was meh at best and the screen was shit in full daylight, I cant imagine the MDX of the same generation had anything vastly different/better.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 am

Agree. Wife likes having the map handy on screen, and i have to agree its nice. However id rather save on nav and get a legit phone mount that replaces the nav.

Besides, speaking in honda/ Acura land, the nav on the rdx was meh at best and the screen was shit in full daylight, I cant imagine the MDX of the same generation had anything vastly different/better.
I'd tell the wife unit to :gtfo:

Jill and I both have nav in our vehicles and I don't think either of us have ever used it.

rokform.com for cases and mount (note we're Apple people)
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I use the factory nav in my truck all the time. Usually because I don't have to bother hooking up my phone to say "go home" or "go to work".
Would it be a deal breaker on a used car though, absolutely not.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Google nav on a decent phone >> factory nav, especially on a 3+ year old cheap car.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:43 am

I'd tell the wife unit to :gtfo:

Jill and I both have nav in our vehicles and I don't think either of us have ever used it.

rokform.com for cases and mount (note we're Apple people)

Word, working on expectations. When we go look friday I think it will become apparent. Good tip on rokform, kellie has the apple machine.
Apex wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:46 am

I use the factory nav in my truck all the time. Usually because I don't have to bother hooking up my phone to say "go home" or "go to work".
Would it be a deal breaker on a used car though, absolutely not.
:dat:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:50 am Google nav on a decent phone >> factory nav, especially on a 3+ year old cheap car.
:dat: x2
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Pro-clip mounts used to be the shit for iphones too. I loved mine when I had the :fancy: Audi S4 + iPhone 4S combo.
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:54 am Pro-clip mounts used to be the shit for iphones too. I loved mine when I had the :fancy: Audi S4 + iPhone 4S combo.
All the 4's and S's. Such synergy.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 am I like the MDX on that list... no idea why, but it jumps out to me?
as do i, and the wifes likes it. but the ones in our price range dont have nav. got to try and talk her out of nav.... compromises, used cars, etc.
All but the best nav systems pale compared to what is on your phone?

https://www.proclipusa.com/?utm_campaig ... gJQKfD_BwE

Here is your nav
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:45 pm

All but the best nav systems pale compared to what is on your phone?

https://www.proclipusa.com/?utm_campaig ... gJQKfD_BwE

Here is your nav
i know dis
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wow beaten to the punch on every level.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

emailed a :dillerman:

so when can you come in for a test drive?
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm emailed a :dillerman:

so when can you come in for a test drive?
You should start your email with that.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Of your list, the Exploder will have the most engine options, but I think I like the Acura the most? I'd get a warranty with the Ford.... maybe powertrain for the Acura.... I dunno. I'd throw a Highlander on there as well, they're unibody chassis cars, run on same platform as a Camry/Avalon.

Old nav sucks. Lisa's C-Max is a 2014 model with the Sync system and it blows chunks. Takes forever to input an address, tiny touch buttons, and despite the big map screen we use our phones 99% of the time when we're in that car.

Also pro tip here, go to CarMax when you're first starting the search. You can fart around on their lot the entire day, get in/out of every single vehicle they have, and not get harassed by a single person. Could be a nice way to whittle down the list quickly. Lisa knocked 6 cars off the list in 2 hours at a CarMax lot just by sitting in them and playing with them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:15 pm Of your list, the Exploder will have the most engine options, but I think I like the Acura the most? I'd get a warranty with the Ford.... maybe powertrain for the Acura.... I dunno. I'd throw a Highlander on there as well, they're unibody chassis cars, run on same platform as a Camry/Avalon.

Old nav sucks. Lisa's C-Max is a 2014 model with the Sync system and it blows chunks. Takes forever to input an address, tiny touch buttons, and despite the big map screen we use our phones 99% of the time when we're in that car.

Also pro tip here, go to CarMax when you're first starting the search. You can fart around on their lot the entire day, get in/out of every single vehicle they have, and not get harassed by a single person. Could be a nice way to whittle down the list quickly. Lisa knocked 6 cars off the list in 2 hours at a CarMax lot just by sitting in them and playing with them.
Other than the :fullretard: lack of Blootoof in my BMW, I love the poverty-spec tech package with nothing, it's so much better and the car doesn't feel dated at all because no garbage tech.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:15 pm Of your list, the Exploder will have the most engine options, but I think I like the Acura the most? I'd get a warranty with the Ford.... maybe powertrain for the Acura.... I dunno. I'd throw a Highlander on there as well, they're unibody chassis cars, run on same platform as a Camry/Avalon.

Other than the :fullretard: lack of Blootoof in my BMW, I love the poverty-spec tech package with nothing, it's so much better and the car doesn't feel dated at all because no garbage tech.
Counterpoint.
I love the integrated nav in my Beemer. I click 1 (on the presets) to get to work or 2 to go home nothing is faster, including any smartphone .

It precalcs the routes and displays everything on the hud. Super useful and completely non distracting. I can also send any address from my phone to the nav directly... I prefer the factory nav to my phone 9/10 times.

Screen res is great and it is really fast and responsive. I have 0 feelings of it dating back to 2016/2015 since my 15 had same screen.

Best of all worlds is car play
Last edited by max225 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:50 am Google nav on a decent phone >> factory nav, especially on a 3+ year old cheap car.
True for most cars
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Counterpoint.
I love the integrated nav in my Beemer. I click 1 (on the presets) to get to work or 2 to go home nothing is faster, including any smartphone .

It precalcs the routes and displays everything on the hud. Super useful and completely non distracting. I can also send any address from my phone to the nav directly... I prefer the factory nav to my phone 9/10 times.

Screen res is great and it is really fast and responsive. I have 0 feelings of it dating back to 2016/2015 since my 15 had same screen.

Best of all worlds is car play
I dont know of any pre 2015 cars with good fluid nav. I agree with this. Nav in new cars is really really good in certain situations. I have 2 clicks to get to a pre-set destination. It takes in traffic and road reports and its as accurate as google maps. Now all new cars have massive screens and good fluid interfaces.

But this thread isnt talking about the newest car out there.
troyguitar

I set my destination on a real computer with a real keyboard and mouse and click send to phone for most one-time stuff, way easier than using a touchscreen. For regular "Home" type destinations, they take two taps in google maps on the phone - or zero taps if you use the voice control but I'm :wap: and have never learned how to use it. :iono: :wrong:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 am I set my destination on a real computer with a real keyboard and mouse and click send to phone for most one-time stuff, way easier than using a touchscreen. For regular "Home" type destinations, they take two taps in google maps on the phone - or zero taps if you use the voice control but I'm :wap: and have never learned how to use it. :iono: :wrong:
:dat:

except i do use voice control on occasion. Mostly just to turn the fucking thing off doe.
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Voice control in the car is terrible I don’t know why they ever bother
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 am Voice control in the car is terrible I don’t know why they ever bother
for the phone. The car.... :lolol:
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:neat:

Metrics are poorly defined :doe: They do say 'lightly used' counterparts, and unfortunately with our budget nothing 'lightly used' will be in our future.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

2010 MDX 97 miles, tech package, 13,9 ask, tires have about 1/3 of life left, car is solid. Might need timing belt soonish if not donw already. New brake pads, new PS pump, looks like it was well maintained at a diller by PO.

whay saith the hive
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:cerealguy:

I guess man. The newer ones are around $20k so I don't really know what goals are.