Brad's Garage, It's not easy being Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:46 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 am I bought the Amazon Chinese knock off adapter and quick release. YOLO

Parts are so haliariousily cheap. what a time to be alive.
wipe it down with lysol first.

:scoot:
prime and ships from USA stock so it's been on the mainland before the outbreak
:like:
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:24 am drove the beater Miata to work this morning, for the lolz. It's pretty tight with this Mazda 3 steering wheel.... dude is supposed to be getting me the airbag to go back to stock wheel, but should I just get the adapter hubs to install my MOMO wheel? it's a little smaller and I can push it out a little farther. but then no airbag. but will a 25 year old airbag realllllly work?
I’ve had the Momo Nono airbag wheel for quite some time in my NA and later C5... if I die, at least I’ll do it having fun with better steering feel/weight and no Astro Van wheel.

I think this is 5/7.

I’ve been kinda getting the wants for a Miata again lately.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I pulled the tail lights from the attic last night. Look pretty decent honestly. I'll get a pick when I go home at lunch.
I want a new wheel, but we still drive it to events if it's not on the trailer, so I'd rather have the airbag due to being on I-10. Do i trust that it still works? Yes/no, but I'd rather not chance the wife or my safety. Once we start tracking it, we'll go full bore into race mode with a proper racing seat and straps
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Can't you run an NB wheel/airbag?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:18 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:24 am drove the beater Miata to work this morning, for the lolz. It's pretty tight with this Mazda 3 steering wheel.... dude is supposed to be getting me the airbag to go back to stock wheel, but should I just get the adapter hubs to install my MOMO wheel? it's a little smaller and I can push it out a little farther. but then no airbag. but will a 25 year old airbag realllllly work?
It's truly a good question to ponder as airbags age.

When do they become grenades instead of safety restraints (Takata notwithstanding, as those all seem to be grenades).
yea. the adapters for the nice ass wheel I already own was 30 bucks, so ordered. But I will still put some effort into getting stock back in.
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:11 am Can't you run an NB wheel/airbag?
I'm sure I can, :butwhy:.
I'm actually keeping this one very near stock for the next few years.
Acid666 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 am I pulled the tail lights from the attic last night. Look pretty decent honestly. I'll get a pick when I go home at lunch.
I want a new wheel, but we still drive it to events if it's not on the trailer, so I'd rather have the airbag due to being on I-10. Do i trust that it still works? Yes/no, but I'd rather not chance the wife or my safety. Once we start tracking it, we'll go full bore into race mode with a proper racing seat and straps
thanks man!

not sure what my Friday will look like, but I have a line on a hardtop in Houston. if the dude can meet me at lunch or something I might try to buzz over there and get it... if that happens I'll try to connect with you on the way there or back as well.
if not I might just make a trip on the motorcycle over to laffy Friday :iono:
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

No worries. Or rush. If you go to Houston I can pretty much meet you any time.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

NB wheels are nice and still have modern-ish airbags, that's why. I'm a fucking :pussy: :doe: or I'd drive an 80s car myself.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

red trunk lid ordered, new finish panel ordered.
might even be getting a wheel.

parts were a little more than I thought, but still only like 2100 and counting into it... once I get paint and misc. bs I'll still be under 2500
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

new to me wheel with airbag was only 80 more from junkyard, so i added that. I cancelled my hub shit from Amazon for now. If it continues to be a problem I can always re order. parts are cheap.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

No idea what the white is. It's like it's underneath the plastic. But hell, they're in one piece, and the parts where the bulbs are is the right color at least. It'll at least get you legal until you decide to go another route
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:42 pm Image

No idea what the white is. It's like it's underneath the plastic. But hell, they're in one piece, and the parts where the bulbs are is the right color at least. It'll at least get you legal until you decide to go another route
awesome thanks man!

looks like I scored a cheaper hardtop in Mississippi, so long day driving Friday
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I guess :melon: and I are the only sepuku friendly dudes around here driving sans airbag... I guess I still view it as a far cry safer than a motorcycle or my bicycle, at least I'll die doing what I love?

:megusta: the :scrooge: :meata: :doe:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

The airbag light on my NA has been flashing, but it passes inspection in TX so :aintcare:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:56 pm I guess :melon: and I are the only sepuku friendly dudes around here driving sans airbag... I guess I still view it as a far cry safer than a motorcycle or my bicycle, at least I'll die doing what I love?

since I actually ride a motorcycle I'm just hedging my bets.

also....on modern roads not sure am NA is that much better than a motorcycle. I'm fucking invisible. avoided 3 wrecks today
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

stripethree wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:19 pm The airbag light on my NA has been flashing, but it passes inspection in TX so :aintcare:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
even tho I'm sure my airbag does not work I have no light :ino:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

long weekend, including going to get this boi

car punched in for 600 plus miles and gave zero fucks and was flawless to drive. the aftermarket cruise even works fine.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Nice! I think Cruise is the only thing in my car that isn't currently working that I need to look at.
It's definitely nice to have.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:56 pm I guess :melon: and I are the only sepuku friendly dudes around here driving sans airbag... I guess I still view it as a far cry safer than a motorcycle or my bicycle, at least I'll die doing what I love?

E30 doesn't have an airbag either.
But, it never came with one.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

bad news: well, my junk yard steering wheel was not as good as I hoped

good news: the guy who used to refinish them for like 250 plus now just sells a diy kit for 50 bucks.
https://www.custom-steering-wheels.com/mazda-miata-mx5

I'm going to test fit the wheel tonight to make sure it's giving me the little bit of extra room I am looking for over this Mazda 3 unit. If not ... I might abort and just get the stuff to use my MOMO wheel.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:13 am bad news: well, my junk yard steering wheel was not as good as I hoped

good news: the guy who used to refinish them for like 250 plus now just sells a diy kit for 50 bucks.
https://www.custom-steering-wheels.com/mazda-miata-mx5

I'm going to test fit the wheel tonight to make sure it's giving me the little bit of extra room I am looking for over this Mazda 3 unit. If not ... I might abort and just get the stuff to use my MOMO wheel.
Gonna look into this later.
Our wheel is trash (crackled and shit).
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

New trunk deck is in and took minimal hammering to get things in the right places. It's definitely not in as good of shape as I'd have hoped. And now the car is officially 5 different colors of red, 😆.

Next. Preping and painting the rear trim panel and hardtop. And maybe the deck lid. And if I'm going to do that much... maybe the bumper. 🙄

brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

You get tail light seals? I'd say that's cheap insurance for the leakage (if you've got it or not)
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

In other news I took the bike out today. it was very cold.

the clutch is definitely still slipping. So add that to the to do list, sooner rather than later because it's getting to be good riding weather!
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:09 pm You get tail light seals? I'd say that's cheap insurance for the leakage (if you've got it or not)
no, I should. thanks for the reminder.

you going to Delta next week?
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:22 pm
Acid666 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:09 pm You get tail light seals? I'd say that's cheap insurance for the leakage (if you've got it or not)
no, I should. thanks for the reminder.

you going to Delta next week?
Delta was last week. I'll be at Cenla on the 23rd. You can pretty much count on me being at nearly every Cenla event. Delta I make depending on how I'm feeling (since it's a 2 hour trek instead of 1)