:jeep:
no free99 loaner :jeep: available.
:balls:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:04 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:12 am Wife car maintenance didn't go as well as I hoped. Shout out to the Dubshow for running around town getting more and more powerful impact guns to try. 1200 fot lbs didnt touch this bitch of a crankshaft bolt

In the end I had to just fo full send and either crack it or break tools. I had those 2 half inch extensions bent a good 90 degrees when it went. I thought I broke tools it was so loud. I could calculate the torque one would need but i dont feel like it.

Other than that, the job was pretty easy if not a little tedious. Pro: the cams and vee are made in such a way they dont roll off TDC when the belt is off. Con: You have to remove the fucking ECU to do this job :wtf: Its right over the engine mount, that also has to come out.

This one took a good 8 hours. I think I would have lost money in the shop.

Also, I did do the diff fluid, but didnt get to the trans flush. I'll push that to the next oil change.
Woof. I know it's not an easy job after watching one of the guys in the shop do the timing belt and associated work on his V6 accord coupe of the same vintage.
other than the crank bolt and the fucking serpentine belt it really was not terrible. derp belt was only a bitch because the AC HP line is like exactly in the way. :wtf: Acura. :disgust:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Well, as far as i can tell its a water pump. The area around it on the block is wet. 140k hard miles and 10 years have likely taken their toll. My foot hurts too fucking much to do anything more than pop the hood and poke around with a flashlight.

UPS may or may not be running a good sale on their metal water pump kit. For 260 bucks it has been sent, esp when the plastic ones on rock auto were approaching 200 bucks.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:10 pm Well, as far as i can tell its a water pump. The area around it on the block is wet. 140k hard miles and 10 years have likely taken their toll. My foot hurts too fucking much to do anything more than pop the hood and poke around with a flashlight.

UPS may or may not be running a good sale on their metal water pump kit. For 260 bucks it has been sent, esp when the plastic ones on rock auto were approaching 200 bucks.

I sold mine at 80k miles because of the routine maintenance. I knew that I wouldn't want to work on it. Those germans must all have ferret fingers.
Part of me regrets it because that mkv was an awesome car. But the other part tells me it's no biggie because I can buy another if I really want.
Good choice in the more solid option. Do the job once and you wont regret it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Acid666 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:37 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:10 pm Well, as far as i can tell its a water pump. The area around it on the block is wet. 140k hard miles and 10 years have likely taken their toll. My foot hurts too fucking much to do anything more than pop the hood and poke around with a flashlight.

I sold mine at 80k miles because of the routine maintenance. I knew that I wouldn't want to work on it. Those germans must all have ferret fingers.
Part of me regrets it because that mkv was an awesome car. But the other part tells me it's no biggie because I can buy another if I really want.
Good choice in the more solid option. Do the job once and you wont regret it.
Upgrade to the :mk6: :hubba:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

finally got it off. full write up later but at least I diagnosed it right
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

ok, so full write up. This job is a real pain in the ass. There just isn't much room for my yuge meathooks to maneuver things about. Getting the stupid intake tube off the throttle body was one of the worse. Its ribbed (for her pleasure) i guess to assist grip at high boost.

THEN, radiator hoses. I broke a MSRP 150 bucks upper rad hose. It come from trans cooler and this plastic t and thermostat housing broke. Of course you can't just buy it seperate.... Rock auto to the rescue with ~50 dollar rad hoses. I bought both, just to be sure. :dubshow: to the rescue with continued loaner vehicle.

almost out

Oh, and vw, fucking triple square bits.
Triple square here, hex up top. :butwhy:

drive gear and belt off balance shaft. That bolet is reverse threaded! don't snap it cause its unpossible to get to if you do.

see all that oil residue, thats the root cause of failure. Gasket swelled from previous oil / vacuum leak in the side of the head from the plug.

swollen rubber, old brittle heat cycled plastic? Fail. From what I briefly researched this is not a typical failure.

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:08 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 pm Image

finally got it off. full write up later but at least I diagnosed it right
Plastic water pump housing. RIP.
Won't happen again :doe: . I think a cast Aluminium water pump is worth the extra half a pound for the reliability factor honestly.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

weighed for shits and grins

more like 3/4 pounds :whocares: :fax: :whocares:
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:16 pm weighed for shits and grins

I would have bought a metal water pump if I kept my GTI. I went through two in 30K miles. That plastic one is shite. Try not to understeer into some Krail with all that added weight up front doe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Big Brain Bradley wrote:weighed for shits and grins

https://enginewaterpumpsettlement.com/

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:40 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:weighed for shits and grins

https://enginewaterpumpsettlement.com/

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I don't qualify. 140k breh
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I tried to put my car back together yesterday. try being the key word. I didn't get the pump seated on the block correct. gotta take it all back apart :(
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:56 am I tried to put my car back together yesterday. try being the key word. I didn't get the pump seated on the block correct. gotta take it all back apart :(
This happened to me with the thermostat change on my MKV gti. Took me nearly 4 hours to swap it, and I didnt seal it on the block right and pinched the oring. Bam, leak. Had to pull it out and do the whole thing again. After that I decided that I really didnt want to start dealing with the routine maintenance on that car
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:26 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:56 am I tried to put my car back together yesterday. try being the key word. I didn't get the pump seated on the block correct. gotta take it all back apart :(
This happened to me with the thermostat change on my MKV gti. Took me nearly 4 hours to swap it, and I didnt seal it on the block right and pinched the oring. Bam, leak. Had to pull it out and do the whole thing again. After that I decided that I really didnt want to start dealing with the routine maintenance on that car
so it turns out that is not what I I did. the coupler between the pump and the oil cooler had an oring roll up and that was my leak, so it was a 100 percent r&r. was super lame.

also, as much as you try you can't get all the coolant wiped up. So I fill it up, and when I started the car it all starts shaking and vibrating down. I about had an aneurysm. Couldn't find source, but it slowly stopped...level stabilized quickly (as it does on a fill)... and all was well. let's see how the next few days are.

all in all it's a pretty terrible job for being so 'easy'. lots of hidden fasteners. everything is torx. you have to undo alot of wiring but can't really move it out the way. the intercooler to tb piping was a bear to remove. fucking werid size tripple square for the intake, oh and it's hard to get to... better that paying upwards of 1k for someone else to do it but holy crap it sucked ..twice.

Also forgot to mention I snapped a look at my valves while throttle body was off.

don't pussyfoot your cars people. I'm not sure they were cleaned before 80k, but at 140k the definitely ain't been done since 80.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Yep, gotta get me one them GTIs
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:28 am Yep, gotta get me one them GTIs
:hellno:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

ITT we learn Zilch is not a masochist
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:33 am
Only when there’s a rewarding experience

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:44 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:33 am

Only when there’s a rewarding experience

:ohmy:
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:30 am
:hellno:
:gtfo: :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

used barkbusters installed on the Kawasaki. time to go for a test ride.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:45 am used barkbusters installed on the Kawasaki. time to go for a test ride.
:idbu:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:52 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:45 am used barkbusters installed on the Kawasaki. time to go for a test ride.
:idbu:
it happened.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

oil change kit that I paid 2 dollars extra for to being today.... should be in today.

alas I won't be able to change the oil and go ride as I will have to care for sick child
brain go brrrrrr