goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Acid666 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:45 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:22 pm

no, I should. thanks for the reminder.

you going to Delta next week?
Delta was last week. I'll be at Cenla on the 23rd. You can pretty much count on me being at nearly every Cenla event. Delta I make depending on how I'm feeling (since it's a 2 hour trek instead of 1)
ah, word. if weather is good I might go. either way I'll head out and get those taillights from you!
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:In other news I took the bike out today. it was very cold.

the clutch is definitely still slipping. So add that to the to do list, sooner rather than later because it's getting to be good riding weather!
:jelly:

It was 10F today, will be -5F in the morning.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

well, in other :rage: news..... the :mk6: is leaking freaking coolant. from the NEW lower radiator hose. :rage:. found it when changing the oil this weekend.

warranty part is on the way. hopefully doing just this one hose won't be too terrible or take too long.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Final update: Turns out there is a second adjustment on the clutch cable! that was the problem, bike preformed flawless today, no slippage at all.

I consider myself a pretty decent wrench, but let this serve as a reminder that sometimes the KISS principal applies to even the most basic problems...

it was a great day of riding
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Dang...Miata is neat! Looks like a fun driving project.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:34 am Dang...Miata is neat! Looks like a fun driving project.
it is man!

finialy gave it a proper bath... holy hell it cleaned up nice. Definitely a diamond in the rough. this is just a wash, no wax or zil spec detail. I'm a little amazed.

there on the 6uls too. yus!

brain go brrrrrr
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:34 am Dang...Miata is neat! Looks like a fun driving project.
it is man!

finialy gave it a proper bath... holy hell it cleaned up nice. Definitely a diamond in the rough. this is just a wash, no wax or zil spec detail. I'm a little amazed.

there on the 6uls too. yus!

Looks fantastic!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Man the non-poverty wheels really go a long way. Looking good dude.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote:Man the non-poverty wheels really go a long way. Looking good dude.
:dat:

:like:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That pelican license plate is :jimp:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Miata update:

valve cover gasket and CAS oring changed. timing set to stock so it should hopefully run on regular daym gas. Started sanding the hardtop.

:mk6: update. Fucking exact day I need an inspection the thing develops a vacuum leak and throws cel.
So I did some investigating. it's acting like a pcv leak again, and I feel like I can smell pcv vapor slightly. accompanied by mystery oil leak too. threw it on stands and cleaned, looked, with car running and can't find shit. It's not turbo oil return. it's not valve cover as far as I can see. oil seems to be coming from top of the engine. any ideas?
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:49 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:33 am Miata update:

valve cover gasket and CAS oring changed. timing set to stock so it should hopefully run on regular daym gas. Started sanding the hardtop.

:mk6: update. Fucking exact day I need an inspection the thing develops a vacuum leak and throws cel.
So I did some investigating. it's acting like a pcv leak again, and I feel like I can smell pcv vapor slightly. accompanied by mystery oil leak too. threw it on stands and cleaned, looked, with car running and can't find shit. It's not turbo oil return. it's not valve cover as far as I can see. oil seems to be coming from top of the engine. any ideas?
So, if you remove the oil cap, what does it do?
leak must be small, oil cap is hard to pull off with car running, if not impossible. crankcase is under lots of vacuum. if you pull the dipstick it stumbles hard and sucks massive air through the tube, as is expected
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

update:

Rear Main seal.

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:
:rage: :mk6: :rage:

probably from the aftermarket pcv.

I'm going to replace with OEM and put in the aftermarket rear main that uses the traditional style seal
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

holy crap that body filler dries fast. anyway, not as smooth as it could be, buy pretty good, also not broken looking so massive improvement.

I was going to paint next weekend but with the daily needing massive work that is postponed for sure. the following weekend is an Autocross. IDK, I'll find some time and giterdone. if work is cancelled, I'll find time lol
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:12 am update:

Rear Main seal.

:rage: :mk6: :rage:

probably from the aftermarket pcv.

I'm going to replace with OEM and put in the aftermarket rear main that uses the traditional style seal
:disappoint:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I found a vw mechanic that does side work that will do the rear main for 500 plus parts. sending it. I decided I don't want to fucking do it.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:01 pm I found a vw mechanic that does side work that will do the rear main for 500 plus parts. sending it. I decided I don't want to fucking do it.
Totally agree here. I sold my 08 gti because I didnt wanna work on it. That plus some of the routine maintenance was due and at the time i didnt have the tools to really do much of any work. And I knew just doing the timing belt and water pump would cost me $500-1000 to get our local vw shop to do it. I just knew that I wouldn't be looking forward to what lies ahead.

$500 sounds like a drop in the bucket for that. Good call
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

car is dropped off. big weight off my shoulders.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:14 pm car is dropped off. big weight off my shoulders.
:fuckyeah:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Car is back. The bad PCV also blew the cam timing cover seal so its leaking a little. New shit is on order and I'll tackle myself. Also threw a CEL on the way home, I suppose from said crankcase leak at said seal.

That said....if that dont fix it and it dont leave spots im not chasing every pinhole vacuum leak to make the CEL go away.

Oh and it turns out the rear main failure was not so much from the PVC being bad or aftermarket as much as it was just old. The glue on the seal to the metal frame of the seal fails. So that's good...mabe my wrong PCV didn't blow every fucking seal on the engine afterall.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Air compressor broke.

Wife got one of those yard killer blow up pools, so i charge up the 15 gallon and blow up with that, because fuck doing that another, harder way. Good time to drain it, right?

Petcock broke. Ok fine, remove petcock. Petcock broke off in compressor.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:07 am Air compressor broke.

Wife got one of those yard killer blow up pools, so i charge up the 15 gallon and blow up with that, because fuck doing that another, harder way. Good time to drain it, right?

The petcock broke in my old craftsman. Fortunately, it was still sealed. I ran that compressor for 10+ years without ever draining it.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:49 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:07 am Air compressor broke.

The petcock broke in my old craftsman. Fortunately, it was still sealed. I ran that compressor for 10+ years without ever draining it.
mine of course started leaking. I did get it part the way out, so I can get a tap in there and drill and rethread. It was also brass so it should be easy
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

That sounds frustrating as hell, I'm not down for veedub old car problem. Note to self: sell this bish in three years.