Brad's Garage, It's not easy being Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Welp the olde :mk6: developed a coolant leak. Turns out it was the heater hoses. Ecs and fcp and vw parts finders made it a royal pita to get the right parts.
Since I was most of the way there I decided to also change my o2 sensors.
All this went well and I got the parts r&r'ed with a light coolant flush before noon.

Well running an errand....the other shoe drops. Somewhere on that 30 mile drive I developed a no power problem. Car won't generate boost
:rage:
So up in the air she goes next weekend, again, for some diagnostic on the recirculation valve, the n75, and the wastegate if I can get at it.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Vacation pics

brain go brrrrrr
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:12 am Welp the olde :mk6: developed a coolant leak. Turns out it was the heater hoses. Ecs and fcp and vw parts finders made it a royal pita to get the right parts.
All this went well and I got the parts r&r'ed with a light coolant flush before noon.

Well running an errand....the other shoe drops. Somewhere on that 30 mile drive I developed a no power problem. Car won't generate boost
So up in the air she goes next weekend, again, for some diagnostic on the recirculation valve, the n75, and the wastegate if I can get at it.
Did you get all this sorted?

How many miles on this bad boy?
Irish

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:02 pm Vacation pics

:nice: pics!

How did you facilitate the Imgur slideshow? I did this a few times by accident but was never able to replicate
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Irish wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:19 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:02 pm Vacation pics

How did you facilitate the Imgur slideshow? I did this a few times by accident but was never able to replicate
Normally you just link the album and it automatically makes it as a slide show on forums.
Acid666

Irish wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:16 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:12 am Welp the olde :mk6: developed a coolant leak. Turns out it was the heater hoses. Ecs and fcp and vw parts finders made it a royal pita to get the right parts.

It was at that point that I had decided to sell my GTI. 80K miles, and the thermostat busted. Took me a good while to fix and I figured I'd rather get rid of it than deal with the other routine maintenance stuff on it since I know those wacky German's crammed some shit in there that would make life difficult. I don't regret it, but I did love that car. I just knew that I didn't want to work on it. LOL
Irish

Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:39 pm

It was at that point that I had decided to sell my GTI. 80K miles, and the thermostat busted. Took me a good while to fix and I figured I'd rather get rid of it than deal with the other routine maintenance stuff on it since I know those wacky German's crammed some shit in there that would make life difficult. I don't regret it, but I did love that car. I just knew that I didn't want to work on it. LOL
Yeah, super hit or miss with these..... mine has 165K ..... I dont want to jinx myself but i have only had the "normal" issues..... i.e. Water pumps/intake manifolds/carbon build up......
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Nope. Goes back on the lift this weekend for diagnostic. I have a feeling the diverter valve is stuck or something.

About 137k
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:37 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Normally you just link the album and it automatically makes it as a slide show on forums.
:dat:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Irish wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:50 pm
Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Yeah, super hit or miss with these..... mine has 165K ..... I dont want to jinx myself but i have only had the "normal" issues..... i.e. Water pumps/intake manifolds/carbon build up......
See and I've had non of that.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Well that was easy. The wastegate actuator came undone from the wastegate for some reason. It's wallowing out the hole. I snapped it back in and I couldn't get it off, so :ino:. It's a fluke.

Powers back. Code clear. Car even set reddiness with the new o2 sensors.

Next....some work needs to be done to the track bike. And the garage needs attention, especially the trailer hoist.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:42 pm Well that was easy. The wastegate actuator came undone from the wastegate for some reason. It's wallowing out the hole. I snapped it back in and I couldn't get it off, so :ino:. It's a fluke.

Next....some work needs to be done to the track bike. And the garage needs attention, especially the trailer hoist.
I have an idea for the base mount.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:32 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:42 pm Well that was easy. The wastegate actuator came undone from the wastegate for some reason. It's wallowing out the hole. I snapped it back in and I couldn't get it off, so :ino:. It's a fluke.

Wasn't there a TSB for the wastegate actuators on the TSIs?

I seem to remember there being a recall/tsb for the clip or something.
I have no idea but I'll look into it, thanks
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Wasn't there a TSB for the wastegate actuators on the TSIs?

I seem to remember there being a recall/tsb for the clip or something.
This?

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20401

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... OD4xbU2nov

Either way, the clip is my long term fix! Thanks for making me look
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-was ... E0QAvD_BwE
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

There's a wastegate issue on those? On mine it was the divertor valve. The fix was to go to a REVD. I bought one just to do some preventative maintenance, get under the car and low and behold I've already got the D. $180 dick right up my ass. Ended up selling to a friend who had an older GLI that likely needed it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:00 am
Yarp!

That's the one. Knew I saved that bit of useless knowledge for something.
:nice: glad the hive mind shows it's might again.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:11 am $180 dick right up my ass.
:ohmy:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Truck GTI strikes again, bringing home new couch.

This would not have even fit in a truck bed. Trailer came in super handy.
brain go brrrrrr
Irish

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:28 am Truck GTI strikes again, bringing home new couch.

Whats the scoop on the sticker/magnet on the GIT?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Irish wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:12 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:28 am Truck GTI strikes again, bringing home new couch.

Whats the scoop on the sticker/magnet on the GIT?
Annual Tail of the Dragon trip with my buddies
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

My work day Saturday on the track bike didn't go as well as planned.

The front fork rebuild was straight forward enough.

The heavy rear spring was impossible to get off the stock shock so I could swap to the nice shock. I had to just use the sticker. The whole linkage was stiff as hell and needed tons of lube and the rivetgun to get it apart.

Swapping the hotter cdi Box was easy.

Then I forgot about my sticky clutch lever. So in trying to disassemble, it broke. So 120 bucks of asv levers are on the way.

I still need to change the oil and check / tighten the cam chain. And try to make my catch can.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:56 am My work day Saturday on the track bike didn't go as well as planned.

The heavy rear spring was impossible to get off the stock shock so I could swap to the nice shock. I had to just use the sticker. The whole linkage was stiff as hell and needed tons of lube and the rivetgun to get it apart.

Then I forgot about my sticky clutch lever. So in trying to disassemble, it broke. So 120 bucks of asv levers are on the way.

I still need to change the oil and check / tighten the cam chain. And try to make my catch can.
I forgot to drop grom off on friday for repairs. oops.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:56 am My work day Saturday on the track bike didn't go as well as planned.

:yuno: :dubshow: :ayfkm: :doomed:
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:21 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 am

:yuno: :dubshow: :ayfkm: :doomed:
:dat: :dafuq:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:mk6: vacuum leak has been experisapted by the cold weather, I now have a high and sometimes hunting idle. It's not much. I think a pcv replacement is in order as the most likely source for now.
brain go brrrrrr