Brad's Garage, It's not easy being Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:03 am 2010 MDX 97 miles, tech package, 13,9 ask, tires have about 1/3 of life left, car is solid. Might need timing belt soonish if not donw already. New brake pads, new PS pump, looks like it was well maintained at a diller by PO.

whay saith the hive
Color?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Apex wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:03 am 2010 MDX 97 miles, tech package, 13,9 ask, tires have about 1/3 of life left, car is solid. Might need timing belt soonish if not donw already. New brake pads, new PS pump, looks like it was well maintained at a diller by PO.

whay saith the hive
Color?
Gray. Pics Monday. Maybe.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote:2010 MDX 97 miles, tech package, 13,9 ask, tires have about 1/3 of life left, car is solid. Might need timing belt soonish if not donw already. New brake pads, new PS pump, looks like it was well maintained at a diller by PO.

whay saith the hive
Was the self destructing transmission still a thing at this point?

Once you get the timing belt/tires, you're over 15k into a 10 year old minivan. I'm not digging that :math: personally.

My parents 2001 Odyssey lasted over 240k miles and still looked pretty good inside and out at that point, would've been an excellent vehicle had it not gone through like four transmissions. Fortunately they had a couple given for near free.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:26 pm :cerealguy:

I guess man. The newer ones are around $20k so I don't really know what goals are.
no, they are not.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:29 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:2010 MDX 97 miles, tech package, 13,9 ask, tires have about 1/3 of life left, car is solid. Might need timing belt soonish if not donw already. New brake pads, new PS pump, looks like it was well maintained at a diller by PO.

whay saith the hive
Was the self destructing transmission still a thing at this point?

Once you get the timing belt/tires, you're over 15k into a 10 year old minivan. I'm not digging that :math: personally.

My parents 2001 Odyssey lasted over 240k miles and still looked pretty good inside and out at that point, would've been an excellent vehicle had it not gone through like four transmissions. Fortunately they had a couple given for near free.
MDX =/= to a minivan.
tires are wear items, as is the timing belt.
I did not see anything about transmission issues in these things.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

pics as promised.

brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:29 am Was the self destructing transmission still a thing at this point?

MDX =/= to a minivan.
MDX is literally the same vehicle as an Odyssey, how is it not a minivan? The rear seats and rear doors are less useful?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:46 am pics as promised.

:notbad:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
dubshow wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:26 pm :cerealguy:

I guess man. The newer ones are around $20k so I don't really know what goals are.
no, they are not.
:yeahok:

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Keep on beating the :wrong: horse :doe:

I rest my case and hope you enjoy the new thing

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:20 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
MDX =/= to a minivan.
MDX is literally the same vehicle as an Odyssey, how is it not a minivan? The rear seats and rear doors are less useful?
we simply disagree here.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
no, they are not.
:yeahok:

.. and i got one that has all of 6k more miles for nearly 6 grand less? How is that not a GOOD thing? :wtf:
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:15 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 am :yeahok:

.. and i got one that has all of 6k more miles for nearly 6 grand less? How is that not a GOOD thing? :wtf:
you got 2 body styles older. that is the last body style (4 years newer with updated electronics and comforts). IMO, a 10 year old car is a terrible thing to finance. And that price point was above KBB suggested retail. Combine that with the tire needs and TB job that is due.

Long/short of it, with out knowing your goals and or numbers game, why ask for opinions on the MDX.

There are a plethora of 2011-10s available locally for under your deal so I fail to see the haste that was applied.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

In about 45 seconds of car shopping I have formed some pretty solid opinions. But i have no clue how upside down inthe van you were. For the same money, other things can be found.

:deadhorse:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:26 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:15 am

you got 2 body styles older. that is the last body style (4 years newer with updated electronics and comforts). IMO, a 10 year old car is a terrible thing to finance. And that price point was above KBB suggested retail. Combine that with the tire needs and TB job that is due.

Long/short of it, with out knowing your goals and or numbers game, why ask for opinions on the MDX.

There are a plethora of 2011-10s available locally for under your deal so I fail to see the haste that was applied.

In about 45 seconds of car shopping I have formed some pretty solid opinions. But i have no clue how upside down inthe van you were. For the same money, other things can be found.

ok captin :salt: and :dubshow:
1. IT IS A 2010. its the previous gen body and not 2 generations old. :fax: It's just like the one you linked. That exact car is/was actually on my saved list of potentials at autotrader.
2. It was virtually the SAME PRICE as the one you linked. Only slightly more miles, AND a better trim package.
YOU don't know that the tires on that one are better or worse than the one we looked at. We can almost guarantee that the timing belt was not changed on it either. MY CAR has a full dealer service history for the first 91 thousand miles of its life including differential and transmission fluid changes. And new brakes, and a new power steering pump.
3. We were NOT upside down on van. We we at the value, hence this mission. Ended up getting nearly everything we owed on van for trade, only $350 short. That was the high end of KBB trade in, so :notbad:

Anything else to add about how awful a decision this is, after the fact? :dubshow:

Came to post this, BTW:
Rockautos most expensive timing belt kit is 210 dollars, about half of what I found when I was looking on google the other day. IT really looks like its a :notbad: job to do.
:fuckyeah:
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:facepalm:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:wrong:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

J-series timing belt/water pump DIY

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-gene ... 622/page3/
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:38 am J-series timing belt/water pump DIY

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-gene ... 622/page3/
looks like a days work. Pretty straight fwd tho. Nice that there are no specially electronic tools needed.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I dig the new puppy hauler.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:46 am pics as promised.

Nothing wrong with this.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:43 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:26 am

ok captin :salt: and :dubshow:
1. IT IS A 2010. its the previous gen body and not 2 generations old. :fax: It's just like the one you linked. That exact car is/was actually on my saved list of potentials at autotrader.
2. It was virtually the SAME PRICE as the one you linked. Only slightly more miles, AND a better trim package.
YOU don't know that the tires on that one are better or worse than the one we looked at. We can almost guarantee that the timing belt was not changed on it either. MY CAR has a full dealer service history for the first 91 thousand miles of its life including differential and transmission fluid changes. And new brakes, and a new power steering pump.
3. We were NOT upside down on van. We we at the value, hence this mission. Ended up getting nearly everything we owed on van for trade, only $350 short. That was the high end of KBB trade in, so :notbad:

Anything else to add about how awful a decision this is, after the fact? :dubshow:

Came to post this, BTW:
Rockautos most expensive timing belt kit is 210 dollars, about half of what I found when I was looking on google the other day. IT really looks like its a :notbad: job to do.
:fuckyeah:
So is this a typical backyard BBQ interaction for you guys?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:19 pm [

there is usually more :beer: involved.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:19 pm

meh, sometimes. We had a talk about it and I concede he found a cheap name badge SUV thing.

We talk more online than IRL and live 1 mile apart. :millennial:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

since everyone (or at least zilch) is posting pics of all the work they did this weekend, this is what i got around too:

Charging port & RAM mount for the kawasaki. Used the OE relay plug and power taps to tie it in all proper like. Had to remove the whole goddamn front of the bike :doe: Took about 2 hours, easy peasy.

This was my 2nd time buying all the parts :doe: , much :rage: was had when the first order of :poop: was somehow misplaced and likely thrown away from kids 1st birthday activities. :rage:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:34 am since everyone (or at least zilch) is posting pics of all the work they did this weekend, this is what i got around too:

Charging port & RAM mount for the kawasaki. Used the OE relay plug and power taps to tie it in all proper like. Had to remove the whole goddamn front of the bike :doe: Took about 2 hours, easy peasy.

This was my 2nd time buying all the parts :doe: , much :rage: was had when the first order of :poop: was somehow misplaced and likely thrown away from kids 1st birthday activities. :rage:
:bravo:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...