Tar's Adventures with a GoRf Failomatic

Strut your greasy stuff!
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:42 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:03 pm

The mileage is whats killing its value methinks (155K)

Yeah.....I agree with that assessment.....if you get a good one, you're golden, if not its all :rage: all the time ....

I cant run the :jackass: piss anyway because tOOn

I mean I do have map switching capability (Thanks Arin) but I never switch it, because racecar....
155K after having your ECU shorted out by Arin is pretty good living.
QFT Yeah, I've got no complaints.....which is, in no small measure, why I am still considering staying in the dublyfe game.....
Last edited by Irish on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:09 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:38 am

:oops: Looking back I see where I went wrong......

I think I am going to watch the 2017's :gorf: prices and see if I can get a :derp: :millenial: to overpay for my :mk6: in about 6 months.....

APR Stage 1+ yo, CAI mang, RES delete :bruh: !

My son is convinced I can get $5K for it from one of his FB PADubber bro's....

Dealer offered me $3k trade in :disappoint: its worth Waaaaay more than that to me.....
One thing I'll mention is that if you get a :manuel: R and are expecting it to be much faster than your Mk6, you will be :disappoint: .
Yeah.....I am about halfway through the 66 pages of gold in your thread.....and you mentioning that def gave me paws.....

While I do love me some :manuel: ..... I may have to seriously consider the DSgay......

plus it gives me the option to go :fullretard: with a Stg1 without having to go through another clutch debacle.....

I am hoping to get something that has at least 10k left on the the warranty in order to (at least potentially) work out any major gremlins......

Did the Mk7 2.0T's suffer the same weak Water Pump, Intake Manifold etc issues?
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Irish wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:38 am

:oops: Looking back I see where I went wrong......

I think I am going to watch the 2017's :gorf: prices and see if I can get a :derp: :millenial: to overpay for my :mk6: in about 6 months.....

APR Stage 1+ yo, CAI mang, RES delete :bruh: !

My son is convinced I can get $5K for it from one of his FB PADubber bro's....

Dealer offered me $3k trade in :disappoint: its worth Waaaaay more than that to me.....
One thing I'll mention is that if you get a :manuel: R and are expecting it to be much faster than your Mk6, you will be :disappoint: .
It puts the power down, tho
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Irish wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Yeah.....I am about halfway through the 66 pages of gold in your thread.....and you mentioning that def gave me paws.....

While I do love me some :manuel: ..... I may have to seriously consider the DSgay......

plus it gives me the option to go :fullretard: with a Stg1 without having to go through another clutch debacle.....

I am hoping to get something that has at least 10k left on the the warranty in order to (at least potentially) work out any major gremlins......

Did the Mk7 2.0T's suffer the same weak Water Pump, Intake Manifold etc issues?
Hindsight I probably should've gone DSGay. A GTI is better with a :manuel: and an R is better with DSGay. T00ns on a DSGay R are crazy. I think with just stage 1 people were running under 4 seconds to 60.

Water pumps and manifolds are all good as far as I can tell on the gen 3 EA888. VW seemed to do a nice job with it. I think the only thing that's still a problem is obviously carbon.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:manuel: :doe: :foreveralone:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm :manuel: :doe: :foreveralone:
I still :wub: :manuel: but it just seems like DSGay is a better match for the :gorf:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Sixty thousand miles and counting...

The engine air filter is like new, I'm not even going to replace it yet. The one I was given at the :dillerman: parts counter is :wrong: , so it justifies a return in my mind.

Spark plugs:

I think these would have gone another 30k at least, each one looks identical in wear and color, :notbad:

Pic:

I really :like: the car
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 am
Irish wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:24 am

I am almost glad they don't offer a sunroof..... one less decision when the time comes. As far as sound, would you say there was any improvement from what you had in the :mk6: ? And theres no BT in the :gorf: ? :wtf:
Misunderstanding, there is Bluetooth in the :gorf: , the head unit and speakers are good, interface is :megusta: and I like all the touch/nav/physical buttons offered. I get good sound, similar or slightly better then :mk6: , the subwoofer is decent but not booming but the fender package is clear at high volume. Max distortion free volume is higher then the previous gen. I have no issue with the setup personally.

I was referring to the beemer not having blootoof, that is kind of :disappoint:
:dat:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:Sixty thousand miles and counting...

The engine air filter is like new, I'm not even going to replace it yet. The one I was given at the :dillerman: parts counter is :wrong: , so it justifies a return in my mind.

Spark plugs:

I think these would have gone another 30k at least, each one looks identical in wear and color, :notbad:

Pic:

Just replace your engine air filter with an AFE. Get a bit more noise and you don't have to replace it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:47 pm
Just replace your engine air filter with an AFE. Get a bit more noise and you don't have to replace it.

I'll see who has it cheapest and what is the easiest way to get it to me, more intake noise will be cool!

Hey what do you guys have in your (US spec) owner's manual for spark plug replacement?

Weirdly enough my maintenance section shows them due at 40k but shopdap and other aftermarket and US dealer postings show it at 60k (miles). My dealership has it scheduled at 60k and after pulling the plugs I don't see a reason to yank them any sooner, at least for my driving habits.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Gberg2119 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm :manuel: :doe: :foreveralone:
I still :wub: :manuel: but it just seems like DSGay is a better match for the :gorf:
Absolutely agree, I don't think I would wanna go back to a :manuel: :turboyaris:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:22 pm Sixty thousand miles and counting...

Spark plugs:

Pic:

Whoa, I wonder why your air filter is in that good of a shape. I have never seen one that’s like new after that many miles.

Plugs look like they are well worn, you really don’t want different gaps etc because they would cause issues at that point. So 60k seems like a decent replacement time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:48 am
Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:22 pm Sixty thousand miles and counting...

Spark plugs:

Pic:

Whoa, I wonder why your air filter is in that good of a shape. I have never seen one that’s like new after that many miles.

Plugs look like they are well worn, you really don’t want different gaps etc because they would cause issues at that point. So 60k seems like a decent replacement time.
Canadian air is cleaner? :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:30 am
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:48 am

I do a lot of highway driving, maybe there's less dust and leaf :bs:

I shoved it back in since the new one was :wrong: , I don't think I'm even going to swap it until year 5 or something.
🦸‍♂️ :scrooge: mode enabled
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:53 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:30 am

I shoved it back in since the new one was :wrong: , I don't think I'm even going to swap it until year 5 or something.
:word:

I was kind of joking but in seriousness, Canada does always feel a bit cleaner than stateside to me.

Toronto is like a clean, safe Chicago.
Vancouver is a nice, clean Seattle or San Fran minus 90% of the homeless people.
Montreal is... nothing like any US city.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:11 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:53 am

:word:

I was kind of joking but in seriousness, Canada does always feel a bit cleaner than stateside to me.

Vancouver is a nice, clean Seattle or San Fran minus 90% of the homeless people.
It is rapidly growing so who knows if that will last forever, but for now there's more land and less people so cities are spaced apart, which could contribute to the cleanliness.

I think Max may be hinting at the possibility that the filter was changed once by the dealer whilst bundling it into another visit? :iono: I tried to check my printed service summaries on my lunch break but I pulled my owners manual to review service intervals on the weekend and didn't put it back, half of my summaries are still in my glove box and half of them are in my owners manual sleeve. I want to double check on that filter now that Max got my thinking about it.

Yet another reason why I want to perform and track my own service. I called about the discrepancy between the 40k and 60k filter and plug debacle and the same girl that quoted me the service sounded confused and suggested that I ask my SA. Either way I'm stoked, I just picked up an oil extractor, 32mm socket for my oil filter, and a spark plug gap tool (just because it was $5 & I know I'll be doing it again some day).
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:11 pm :word:

It is rapidly growing so who knows if that will last forever, but for now there's more land and less people so cities are spaced apart, which could contribute to the cleanliness.

I think Max may be hinting at the possibility that the filter was changed once by the dealer whilst bundling it into another visit? :iono: I tried to check my printed service summaries on my lunch break but I pulled my owners manual to review service intervals on the weekend and didn't put it back, half of my summaries are still in my glove box and half of them are in my owners manual sleeve. I want to double check on that filter now that Max got my thinking about it.

Yet another reason why I want to perform and track my own service. I called about the discrepancy between the 40k and 60k filter and plug debacle and the same girl that quoted me the service sounded confused and suggested that I ask my SA. Either way I'm stoked, I just picked up an oil extractor, 32mm socket for my oil filter, and a spark plug gap tool (just because it was $5 & I know I'll be doing it again some day).
I don't think they snuck that change in. The stock airboxes must be pretty effective because when I cleaned my AFE after 15k it was also spotless.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:30 pm
Tarspin wrote:

I don't think they snuck that change in. The stock airboxes must be pretty effective because when I cleaned my AFE after 15k it was also spotless.

Good to know :like:

Hey did you notice any throttle responsiveness when you switched to the :fancy: filter?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:30 pm I don't think they snuck that change in. The stock airboxes must be pretty effective because when I cleaned my AFE after 15k it was also spotless.

Good to know :like:

Hey did you notice any throttle responsiveness when you switched to the :fancy: filter?
Maybe a tiny bit. I left the snow screen or whatever it's called in the airbox too. The internet bros say taking that out helps but :iono:

The noise you'll notice more in windows down driving.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Impressions after 120,000 km!

It seems that my fellow Lapiz Bloo brothers are all MIA lately, @Gberg2119 @dubshow @corvettewaxer, you'll be happy to know that the :gorf: does not start to fall apart as it ages, and if anything, I can say that the car starts to proverbially shine as it ages.

The 2017 Golf R DSG is the second production year of the German MK7 offered in North America, but it comes from a plant that has been building VW Golf MK7s since August 6, 2012, according to a quick google search. The car is sturdy, and to date, has no real rattles or body integrity issues. The paint is good, but I attribute any success level in this department to the protective film applied to the entire hood, headlights, front bumper, and fenders. Without the wrap, this car would be sandblasted and probably show some rust level where bare sheet metal would have faced the elements.

There is one weird phenomenon that I cannot explain and am a little perturbed about, and that is the crack in the windshield. It is an almost perfect crack going from the mirror area to the bottom center of the windshield. Thankfully it cracked straight down or up and never spread. There is no evidence of a rock hitting it, which is verified but not warrantied by the service advisor who didn't receive a hand job the day of my visit, at least not from me. I think either the body tweaked cracking the glass or the heat repelling film caused the glass to overheat, expand and crack. The second is more likely since I was parked in the hot sun when it happened, not moving.

The six-speed DSG is due for its second fluid change, and I'm going to have the dealer do it for me for almost double what it costs for the kit from ECS. They did my first fluid change and the car still has a warranty until 200k km, and I'm not going to give them any excuse not to cover that mechano-marvel. I did my plugs, filters, and am taking over the engine oil changes. The car burns zero oil or coolant and runs like a swiss watch. I feel like VWs will give their owners a good reliability experience assuming that they are babied 9 out of 10 drives and abused within the design's confines. Which in any case means FULLY STOCK!

I do think about t00ning :doe: but truth be told, I drive it like I did my TDI, A to B with the odd spirited :scoot: now and then. So this likely won't happen anytime soon. It is more for a :science: than anything else, but I need this car not to break.

The six-speed DSG trans is quick and adds fun to the :plaid: , but I feel like the sixth gear should be taller, and has been addressed with the MK7.5. Besides that, it serves me well. The motor is strong enough to keep things fun when given the coals. Sure it would be more fun with an extra 70-100 HP but it is well tuned and generally is fine aside from turbo lag.

Brakes are still original pads and rotors; I'm :excite: for them to wear out to justify a nicer setup and rotors that don't go orange after a car wash or some rain. I've done a lot of miles and haven't been servicing them. That is a sign of a well designed, bedded, and operated product. They probably have 40% left.

No recent warranty issues, but I drove over a boulder and have 6k of work done to bring it back to the original condition, so one of my three warranty issues may be directly attributed to that experience. The car has had three warranty claims since new, a KESSY sensor in the driver's door handle, a gas tank flow switch, and the possible rock crusher causing the last issue, a frayed harness cable going to the fuel temperature sensor. That's :notbad:

No signs of rust anywhere, all hardware works, the head unit is consistent and reliable, and still on the original battery. The steering wheel has gone from flat soft leather to a somewhat shiny finished leather, and the seats have a few scratches from rivets but no tears in material or stitching. VW leather is more practical than plush. You can't ask for much more after three and a half years and this many miles. I think it helps that the car doesn't have a sunroof, not sure. The wheels are :lolol: big, and three out of four of them have minor bends on the inner side of the barrels, but I'm running General GMax RS tars, and they are so versatile that I still haven't swapped for winters yet. I love them; they are quiet and stick great in every weather condition aside from actual deep snow.

That's it for now; in a nutshell, the 2017 R in DSG trim averages 25 MPG lifetime thing when doing a long term study of 70% freeway driving. It does an excellent job of feeling refined but rewards its owner with infinite traction in all weather conditions and just enough power to stay entertained or pass like a champion.

I don't think owners of the :gorf: will be ill-served but may find themselves wanting to trade up to more for change and excitement rather than fear or need a more reliable vehicle.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Very detailed and thorough review !

Goes to show stock and reliable good service has a lot in common. Unless you of course get johnnys oktoberfestmobile

I had a nearly fully trouble free experience in my tdi from 0-78k Miles. It was an excellent machine
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am Very detailed and thorough review !

Goes to show stock and reliable good service has a lot in common. Unless you of course get johnnys oktoberfestmobile

I had a nearly fully trouble free experience in my tdi from 0-78k Miles. It was an excellent machine
I totally agree, you really shouldn't do a thing to these cars if problem free motoring is a priority. It might be noteworthy to mention that I stick to the high end of allowable service, for example, if they say oil lasts 15k kms, I take it to 15k before changing it. The plugs were 30k late but the old ones were still decent looking when they came out.

I mention the build location and timeframe of MK7 manufacturing (in the Wolfsburg plant) because I think it might have something to do with the reliability. Maybe being German built, or the # of years the plant had to clean up their MK7 build might have some bearing.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Glad to see it is holding up. I've been enjoying my '19 Rabbit so far, and my hope is to run out the 6/72 warranty before looking at the MK8 Rs.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:47 am Glad to see it is holding up. I've been enjoying my '19 Rabbit so far, and my hope is to run out the 6/72 warranty before looking at the MK8 Rs.
The MK8R comes with a lot of cool hardware; I like that they addressed the AWD system and brakes the most. :jelly:

I'm probably not going to spend over 30 grand on whatever I get next so this will be my last egg. I might take it to the very outer edge of reliability :doe: , and feel that it might be sturdy enough to deal with five more years of my style of driving before it gets sold to a teenager who ends up slamming and t00ning the life out of it. Hopefully someone local so they can take me for a rip lol

I still think I'll move into a large and kamfy RWD/AWD V8 powered LS460 or maybe gas will be ridiculously priced and I'll pick up a hybrid Corolla or something. I'm glad to be in a situation where I can ride out the next three years and see what pops off with all this uncertainty.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:25 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:47 am Glad to see it is holding up. I've been enjoying my '19 Rabbit so far, and my hope is to run out the 6/72 warranty before looking at the MK8 Rs.
The MK8R comes with a lot of cool hardware; I like that they addressed the AWD system and brakes the most. :jelly:

I'm probably not going to spend over 30 grand on whatever I get next so this will be my last egg. I might take it to the very outer edge of reliability :doe: , and feel that it might be sturdy enough to deal with five more years of my style of driving before it gets sold to a teenager who ends up slamming and t00ning the life out of it. Hopefully someone local so they can take me for a rip lol

I still think I'll move into a large and kamfy RWD/AWD V8 powered LS460 or maybe gas will be ridiculously priced and I'll pick up a hybrid Corolla or something. I'm glad to be in a situation where I can ride out the next three years and see what pops off with all this uncertainty.
I plan on riding the no-payment train for a while. I'm hoping to have this car paid off towards the end of next year. The current balance is right at $12.5k. Ideally, I'd be looking in 2024 or 2025.
There is some interesting stuff coming out in the next few years, so the R isn't a guarantee, but it is certainly at the top for consideration, with the Bronco and WRX also in the mix.