Tar's Adventures with a GoRf Failomatic

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:56 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:52 pm

Thank you! I feel like I pulled them out too soon, probably would have made it until spring or summer next year. :iono: , see what the back pads look like tomorrow. :scrooge: :math: always computing in the background.
Maybe, but brakes are something that it isn't necessarily bad to not be totally :scrooge: with, IMO.
:smrt: :mahman:

It's also really nice out during the day and makes the process really enjoyable.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:18 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:56 pm

Maybe, but brakes are something that it isn't necessarily bad to not be totally :scrooge: with, IMO.
:smrt: :mahman:

It's also really nice out during the day and makes the process really enjoyable.
:megusta:
Enjoy that :nice: weather while it still exists.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I got busy partway through the rear pad/rotor replacement job today, and it's the first time I'm doing brakes so i didn't finish the back two corners, but am basically a half hour from finishing up. Will jump back on it tomorrow.

Troy is right, there's no point in trying to do the rears without the right piston compression tool. Also i was enjoying hex bolts on the front corners and got hung up on a round triple square M14 setup in the rear today. With the car apart and my wife well enough to drive on her own today i was left with a Cannondale to get me to the local parts supply store and back.

They had a whole set of triple square metric sockets on sale for $29, but the whole event cut into more of the free time I had between work requests. Great 30 min cardio sesh :doe:

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The pads are rotors on the back have were shot. It was time.

So folks, that's what four years does to a Golf R, i think it's at the half life, I'll take it to 300k and off the bitch.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:nice:

In4deetz on the Cannondale Commute.

Brakes look good, glad the :gorf: is going strong!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:22 pm :nice:

Here's the trek to Canadian Tire, not much action until you go across the valley about halfway into the commute, then it's a fairly good incline down to the bridge center, and the climb back up will get the thighs burning. Very scenic, especially now that the leaves are changing color in the valley below.

Here's a picture that I found of the bike, it's generally used for dad duties, me and the kids go to nearby parks, etc... and occasionally into the gravel path networks around the river that cuts through the town.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I haven't really tired of the :gorf: , it may be less exciting then other hot hatch competitors, but after this many years of mixed bag duties, i think that I'm happy with my choice to choose vanilla. I just think of it as a regular commuting vehicle, with extra performance on tap for those very rare occasions that allow me to actually enjoy spirited driving. Just like the bike, it's a nice mode of transportation - dad spec.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:57 pm I haven't really tired of the :gorf: , it may be less exciting then other hot hatch competitors, but after this many years of mixed bag duties, i think that I'm happy with my choice to choose vanilla. I just think of it as a regular commuting vehicle, with extra performance on tap for those very rare occasions that allow me to actually enjoy spirited driving. Just like the bike, it's a nice mode of transportation - dad spec.
It is the best of the best 'jack of all trades' vehicle, really.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:46 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:22 pm :nice:

Here's the trek to Canadian Tire, not much action until you go across the valley about halfway into the commute, then it's a fairly good incline down to the bridge center, and the climb back up will get the thighs burning. Very scenic, especially now that the leaves are changing color in the valley below.

Here's a picture that I found of the bike, it's generally used for dad duties, me and the kids go to nearby parks, etc... and occasionally into the gravel path networks around the river that cuts through the town.

:notbad: dad bike at all! Cannondale makes some nice :boxodicks:

Also, random aside, I sold a bunch of hardware to a digital signage company that did all of the displays in every Canadian :225: location, so there was some shit I sold in that store. Those were a :nice: few months of sales in 2019.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:04 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:46 pm

:notbad: dad bike at all! Cannondale makes some nice :boxodicks:

Also, random aside, I sold a bunch of hardware to a digital signage company that did all of the displays in every Canadian :225: location, so there was some shit I sold in that store. Those were a :nice: few months of sales in 2019.
That sounds like a big sale, congrats! It is such a good store, I'm never disappointed when looking for rando shit.

I love my Cannondale, it's comfortable and somewhat holds it's own at higher speeds. I really need to service it this winter.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

T'was a busy day today again, but i finished the rears and happy to report that everything works as intended. The brakes feel :nice: ! Hopefully i didn't mess anything up lol

I should wash my car.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:13 pm T'was a busy day today again, but i finished the rears and happy to report that everything works as intended. The brakes feel :nice: ! Hopefully i didn't mess anything up lol

I should wash my car.
Renews braking system, takes photo with ramz that have not been cleaned in 6 months. :disappoint:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:13 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:13 pm T'was a busy day today again, but i finished the rears and happy to report that everything works as intended. The brakes feel :nice: ! Hopefully i didn't mess anything up lol

I should wash my car.
Renews braking system, takes photo with ramz that have not been cleaned in 6 months. :disappoint:
The ramz are indeed :disgust:

I'm contemplating cleaning the bitch, but my power washer needs attention too haha. Retirement will be blissful.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Poor fucking car gets treated to a coin-op car wash for five bucks in loonies. Happy half-life you filthy animal :facepalm: :lolol:

The brakes are starting to bed in the back and the fronts are pretty much there. They feel waay nicer than stock, tonnes more initial bite and can easily overwhelm these poor :225: , and they don't rust at all after a car wash. :amazing: !! I highly recommend this setup for anyone needing to replace their worn out stock setup.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Spent some time pulling parts, the exhaust is spoken for at $1300, which will finance 80% of my winter setup for the new car....

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:24 pm Spent some time pulling parts, the exhaust is spoken for at $1300, which will finance 80% of my winter setup for the new car....

:pouroneout:

:notbad: at all :doe:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:48 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:24 pm Spent some time pulling parts, the exhaust is spoken for at $1300, which will finance 80% of my winter setup for the new car....

:pouroneout:

:notbad: at all :doe:
Yeah it was a solid car, and with a little bit of money and effort can continue to be a reliable DD for the next guy/gal.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

These showed up :doe:
:excited:

:jimp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Weird man, these guys are scouring the internet for cars to buy. Looks like we have a Canuckian Carvana afterall. They are throwing a dece offer that I'd be about taking. I won't even need to worry about the windshield replacement. :notbad:

I am worried about the legitimacy as they do a direct deposit after they pick the car up. :notsure:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:57 pm Weird man, these guys are scouring the internet for cars to buy. Looks like we have a Canuckian Carvana afterall. They are throwing a dece offer that I'd be about taking. I won't even need to worry about the windshield replacement. :notbad:

I am worried about the legitimacy as they do a direct deposit after they pick the car up. :notsure:
I am ABSOLUTELY not fucking sure.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:28 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:57 pm Weird man, these guys are scouring the internet for cars to buy. Looks like we have a Canuckian Carvana afterall. They are throwing a dece offer that I'd be about taking. I won't even need to worry about the windshield replacement. :notbad:

Ok so they explain to me that the deposit happens right at pickup, but the banks take time to process the transfer. What does CarMax/carvana typically do when they transact their cars?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:33 pm

Ok so they explain to me that the deposit happens right at pickup, but the banks take time to process the transfer. What does CarMax/carvana typically do when they transact their cars?
They pick up you pray to :jesus: for 3-5 days and then you get paid
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Okay great, the system works as long as :jesus: underwrites the deal. Got it. I like the offer, and it will get me into the new thing for a few grand so I'll probably :doit:

Will need to get more info, but the website seems legit. :iono:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:33 pm

You can get a check from those guys. I mean, its probably fine Carvana offered a wire as well and it would have made the funds available to me faster.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I think I'm going to take the deal. They are going to deal with the windshield crack, so I'm good to save a few extra bucks by not having to cert the thing. It really is the best deal around.

The guys that came to pick up my remus exhaust today were familiar with Canada Drives, they are a pretty big outfit apparently.