Tar's Adventures with a GoRf Failomatic

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:07 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:07 pm Image

A nasty rock bounced over my partial hood coverage PPF and took paint off of my hood up higher. My goal is to get this thing to 8 yrs/200k miles and sell it at a premium.

With boulders everywhere and winter fast approaching I decided to remove my partial coverage and throw on a full hood wrap.

I'm also secretly happy to get rid of that line 1/3 of the way up the hood. :fuckyeah:

:wasteful:
You got them AZNs in canadialand wrapping shit? :neat: my car has a pretty big gash above the 1/3 line of the hood due to a rock also. :aintcare: that's what happens when you drive em.
Not me, the owner Mark lol! He's at home jerking off or something and just takes calls and tells the crew what he wants to charge. He's great at wraps but comes in when he feels like it. Known shop, happened to have an opening and not far from my cousin who I'm visiting right afterwards.

We get snow, and salted roads so i sealed the scratch in and joined the :aintcare: team. I'm married to this thing till the wheels fall off or an out of control Nigerian t-bones me.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

GORFs are :neat: cars. nothing wrong with that.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:23 pm GORFs are :neat: cars. nothing wrong with that.
There isn't that much out there that I'd trade it for to handle my car needs. Fits two kids, the occasional dishwasher, my tools, loves Shiite snow, and is reasonably fast and comfy. And not a bad place to spend hours of mindless commuting in. The sound system and connectivity is good, not great but above average.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Washed, bagged and shelved what i think are the nicest golf wheels ever released. The ones :narc: had on his :mk6: are a close second. I've been meaning to clean them for a week. There's something rewarding about scrubbing the grime off of wheels after they are removed. might was them in the spring.

max225

Tarspin wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:46 pm Washed, bagged and shelved what i think are the nicest golf wheels ever released. The ones :narc: had on his :mk6: are a close second. I've been meaning to clean them for a week. There's something rewarding about scrubbing the grime off of wheels after they are removed. might was them in the spring.

These are my faves also... especially in the gray on gray combo and I’m a sucker for blue
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:04 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:46 pm Washed, bagged and shelved what i think are the nicest golf wheels ever released. The ones :narc: had on his :mk6: are a close second. I've been meaning to clean them for a week. There's something rewarding about scrubbing the grime off of wheels after they are removed. might was them in the spring.

These are my faves also... especially in the gray on gray combo and I’m a sucker for blue
I wonder why your posts today both had the cadiz. I bet someone did a swap plus cash at least on the higher end spec gorf. Nobody gets those ramz on purpose.
max225

I think the cadiz wheels are hideous, they look like cheap aftermarket wheels designed to be big and nothing else
max225

https://www.carmax.com/car/16655059?utm ... ppShareiOS

Here is the other problem with the golf R, a used s3 is same price or less. But I think I’d prefer the golf
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:20 am I think the cadiz wheels are hideous, they look like cheap aftermarket wheels designed to be big and nothing else
Fun fact, at least on the 17s, the prets are a $130 upgrade. Why wouldnt someone pay that miniscule difference?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:21 am https://www.carmax.com/car/16655059?utm ... ppShareiOS

Here is the other problem with the golf R, a used s3 is same price or less. But I think I’d prefer the golf
Same exact car, sedan vs hatch, sunroof vs none, pop up screen plus fancy mouse vs integrated dash head unit, best in line up vs baby dick of the audi S series, street cred vs sudoku tournament cred.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Audi has an aluminum sub frame vs steel. Ask me how i know.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:38 am Audi has an aluminum sub frame vs steel. Ask me how i know.
What’s better ?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/d/ ... 40735.html

Man this is cheap ...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:50 am
Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:38 am Audi has an aluminum sub frame vs steel. Ask me how i know.
What’s better ?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/d/ ... 40735.html

Man this is cheap ...
Aluminum, lighter. I dont know if one is better, i guess the one that speaks to the owner more. I like the S3 but like the R more. The hatch thing is cool in a euro trash kind of way. And I'm euro trash so it fits.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote:
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:20 am I think the cadiz wheels are hideous, they look like cheap aftermarket wheels designed to be big and nothing else
Fun fact, at least on the 17s, the prets are a $130 upgrade. Why wouldnt someone pay that miniscule difference?
17s are better?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:46 am
Tarspin wrote:
17s are better?
If you're going to stick with stock wheels on a 2017, why not pay $130 more for a car with the nicer wheels? The pretorias are a much nicer wheel then the cadiz. At very least there is resale proposition on the prets because they are desired by a large percentage of vw golf/jetta owners.
troyguitar

I don't know what a cadiz is, are we talking about two different flavors of 17s?

Does :dillerman: really let you get different :ramz: on cars? I've never bought a new car before.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:02 am I don't know what a cadiz is, are we talking about two different flavors of 17s?

Does :dillerman: really let you get different :ramz: on cars? I've never bought a new car before.
Two flavors of 19 inch wheels on the 2017 R. You would hate both.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:02 am I don't know what a cadiz is, are we talking about two different flavors of 17s?

Your GTI wasn't new?
Leased, not bought.

I see that 17 meant 2017, not 17 inch wheels...

:nevermind:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

17s can :gtfo: , real racekar drivers roll on 19s, 20s in the case of the Hype R.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

On the 2010's the 18" Detroit rams were a $1k upgrade. That I didn't want. So I kept the $1k and rolled on 17" Denvers like a :scrooge:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:24 pm

On the 2010's the 18" Detroit rams were a $1k upgrade. That I didn't want. So I kept the $1k and rolled on 17" Denvers like a :scrooge:
On my 2011 I "traded down" my Detriot's to Denver's and got a $300 check back from the :dillerman: for doing so. :fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Driving around on 17s is neat! Feels like I'm in a different car. If i yolod more I'd consider selling the prets to fund a high performance 17 or 18 like @dubshow bought for his :gorf:

Alas, vanity rules the day. If the ramz were Cadizes I'd have already done it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

55k kms and this time I maxed out the full duration of oil life on my service reminder.

When I pulled in to the service bay I checked my oil dipstick and was still where it was filled to at my last oil change. I don't usually go that long but i was doing a whole lot of highway mileage with less abusive driving then i sometimes do. Not much idle time, not much stop and go, so it really was ideal conditions for the oil from a mechanical standpoint. Nice to see that the car doesn't burn oil, coolant or anything else that i could tell from personal observation and the dealership report.

This isn't the most exciting car for the price but man does it ever serving me well. I love it and would have a hard time choosing something else over the :gorf: , i do a lot of driving and when i go somewhere chances are that i really need to get there, so I'd chose new or near new for my primary transportation.

I would like better fuel economy, 26-27 mpg isn't amazing when I'm doing a lot of highway mileage, but I keep in mind that the car can do 0-60 in less than five seconds, and I enjoy that often.

40k (murican units) DSG service is just around the corner, I will go a little beyond the 40k, like probably next oil change which will be closer to the 45k mile mark, again mainly since I'm racking up big miles with cruise set to 72mph.

New windshield wipers front and back thrown it because my service adviser is cute and she gave me 10% off.
max225

How much for the wipers ... curious
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:54 am How much for the wipers ... curious
$80CAD/$60USD for the three, which is in line with Bosch wipers available locally. I didn't price online.