Tar's Adventures with a GoRf Failomatic

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I still wonder what happens with all these overpriced cars and who ends up buying them on the other end. Like a used vehicle has not been on my mind for 2+ years…. Who does these purchases ?!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:28 am I still wonder what happens with all these overpriced cars and who ends up buying them on the other end. Like a used vehicle has not been on my mind for 2+ years…. Who does these purchases ?!
Maybe increases to MSRPs are on their way? Or people are getting private loans for cars that they don't normally qualify for? I'm not sure, and I'm also not confident that we will have stable and affordable gas/energy prices. It's time to :nope: out IMO
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:28 am I still wonder what happens with all these overpriced cars and who ends up buying them on the other end. Like a used vehicle has not been on my mind for 2+ years…. Who does these purchases ?!
People who aren't very smart with money.

Like, they want a Golf R, new isn't available and/or new is like $45K so they will pay $36K retail for Mario's R with 100K+ miles. If you think about actual costs to own, they will probably spend more money than the new one, but people are dumb and don't consider that. Meanwhile, people like us obsess over this shit day in/day out, so we make a bit wiser, albeit equally as insane choices.

Hell, my GTI was a very dumb purchase at the time, I lived and I learned.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:16 pm

Like, they want a Golf R, new isn't available and/or new is like $45K so they will pay $36K retail for Mario's R with 100K+ miles. If you think about actual costs to own, they will probably spend more money than the new one, but people are dumb and don't consider that. Meanwhile, people like us obsess over this shit day in/day out, so we make a bit wiser, albeit equally as insane choices.

It just seems so prolific. Like its not even a golf R guy... but a honda guy and a tacoma guy or Cucktrek guy and you name it... People are just unwilling to wait ? Or am I missing something? Like since when did 36k on a 100k mile golf R become OK or reasonable. It's frankly insane.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Plus this forum acts as a place to expose your bad choices as ....................bad choices. I am literally lusting after General Motors products that cost $70K plus yet do not have heated or cooled seats because of a chip shortage. :ayfkm: Rather than chase unobtanium for the next six months I'm just going to keep the BMW. GM Titanic will arrive before Xmas that gives me one new ride to screw with and one old one to rehab. The BMW would be a lot funner with a square setup/new ramz, toon and exhaust and some B6s and sway bars. But those are also bad choices.

Waiting for the post pandemic world to right itself is best done conservatively. There will be plenty of time to piss money down your leg.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:20 pm

It just seems so prolific. Like its not even a golf R guy... but a honda guy and a tacoma guy or Cucktrek guy and you name it... People are just unwilling to wait ? Or am I missing something? Like since when did 36k on a 100k mile golf R become OK or reasonable. It's frankly insane.
It's the new normal :bruh:

I don't think people care or think about it that much. Impatience is a huge factor, yes.

It's just a new version of payment shopping/trade in/ :plac: shit that has gone on for years.

Here's an example. Coworker of mine had a lifted JKU when she started here. She was upside down on it, traded it for a brand new Civic. She rolled $9K negative equity into the Civic (clearly previous poor choices were made, how is is even possible to be upside down on a Beep Beep?). So recently she bought a Challenger used, from Carvana. I'm sure she paid new MSRP for the thing and it's like a 2018, but from her point of view, she got so much for the Civic it didn't matter.

I think it comes down to people 'realizing' they can get into a better vehicle with the same payment because their current shitbox went up 50% and interest rates are low. What they don't really consider is that they're taking on thousands more in debt and reducing wealth. This is obviously won't compute with bean counter Max and it certainly isn't the wisest choice, but that is what people do.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The thing is, the guy who picked my Remus up has a 17R and bought it for 36k retail with half the mileage. I don't think this will move, mainly crickets from my post, and anyone who considered it (two people) both ran for the hills when they found out about the "rock incident"
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:28 pm

Plus this forum acts as a place to expose your bad choices as ....................bad choices. I am literally lusting after General Motors products that cost $70K plus yet do not have heated or cooled seats because of a chip shortage. :ayfkm: Rather than chase unobtanium for the next six months I'm just going to keep the BMW. GM Titanic will arrive before Xmas that gives me one new ride to screw with and one old one to rehab. The BMW would be a lot funner with a square setup/new ramz, toon and exhaust and some B6s and sway bars. But those are also bad choices.

Waiting for the post pandemic world to right itself is best done conservatively. There will be plenty of time to piss money down your leg.
The flip side is that this is fun and it's OK to 'waste money' on shit you enjoy. Pretty much everything other than Ramen noodles, utility bills, and a house are wasted money... :ohwell:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:33 pm

The flip side is that this is fun and it's OK to 'waste money' on shit you enjoy. Pretty much everything other than Ramen noodles, utility bills, and a house are wasted money... :ohwell:
Right but this whole time of dealer empowerment fueled by people who want to pay $36K for some Golf R Mario has run through 800 cubic feet of salt for 4 years is beyond the pale.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

I turn my heat down to 62... I ain't paying $250 a month for some Luxurious living environment. That's for :waxer: 's
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:36 pm

Right but this whole time of dealer empowerment fueled by people who want to pay $36K for some Golf R Mario has run through 800 cubic feet of salt for 4 years is beyond the pale.
Bolts don't come off unless they are ground off, LOL
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:39 pm

I turn my heat down to 62... I ain't paying $250 a month for some Luxurious living environment. That's for :waxer: 's
I keep it a lot warmer during the day............62 makes my hands numb.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:44 pm
I couldn’t really handle 55-59 so up it went.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:20 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:48 pm

Bolts don't come off unless they are ground off, LOL
I know those feels. I had to grind off a few bolts when I refreshed the suspension on the :taco:

I hate rusty hardware.
I chopped the exhaust bracket off, no biggie but it will be par for the course for anything driven year round in Northern climates. I think that the 5 yr/90k mile rule should become my new standard.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Oh man, that sounds amazing, :tits: will crank our heat to 71 at whim, i sneak over and drop it back to 68 when she's not looking. I keep telling her it is programmed to drop automatically and shrug it off like there is something wrong with the software or its designed to save utilities. I can't really win that battle so that's my countermeasure until I can come up with a better plan. :facepalm:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat: I literally could not do my WFH job in 62F temps, can't type.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:30 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:50 pm

I couldn’t really handle 55-59 so up it went.
I do 66 in the morning, let it creep up to 68 during the day at the sun's peak, let it come down to 66 in the early evening, and it settles to 60 overnight.
This is pretty much my setting as well.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:51 pm

:dat: I literally could not do my WFH job in 62F temps, can't type.
Max has those Russian clutching the Mosin-Nagant at Stalingrad hands.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The wheel fairy magically delivered the new wheel setup this evening, I'm positive that she followed the most cautionary social distancing techniques including an e-transfer and outdoor solitary pickup technique.

A quick comparo confirms that the 55 profile adds nearly an inch to the OD. The old set is already spoken for and will cut the $1500 price tag down to about 1K. I was going to try and reuse the old tars but I think getting rid of them is the better choice.

They look good, can't wait to throw them on the new whip. This is how I make Cammie joyous :lolol:

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:nice: :ramz: :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:00 pm :nice: :ramz: :like:
Hey, sometimes you've got to put lipstick on that pig. :lolol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:drunk:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I forgot to square up the center caps, Toyota OEM has a very spherical locking tooth design that appear durable. I'm excited to own my first 'Yoda, figured it will have a fairly strong New Balance representation. We will all hang out and laugh at one another like a bunch of cucks.
-Musings of Tarspin
max225

So what’s the eta on Camry arrival and R departure ?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:19 am So what’s the eta on Camry arrival and R departure ?
The Camry will be ready for pick up between current ETA is showing 1/29 – 2/8, I'm going to close the loop on the Canada Drives :bs: , but basically they said that I have two weeks on the offer, I don't drive the car now, it's got the summer :ramz: on it can be picked up anytime. My parents are out of country, and both retired, so they want me to keep their brakes from ceasing up, so I can drive their cars until they return in late Feb. The Toyota offer is about $2k lower, but I'm on the hook for a new windshield, if I take that deal I just drive it across town on pickup day. Rain, shine, sleet or snow, 19" prets with General Gmax RSs, which should be hard as :woodplow: at that time of year.

The total post tax cash outlay for the trade up is $7-10k which is acceptable and puts me in a stronger :aintcare: position. Looking forward to it.