Tar's Adventures with a GoRf Failomatic

Strut your greasy stuff!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:18 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:54 am How much for the wipers ... curious
$80CAD/$60USD for the three, which is in line with Bosch wipers available locally. I didn't price online.
I just replaced all 3 on mine yesterday too! I went with the Bosch aerotwins up front and a bosch rear. $26 and $11 on amazon. No need to mess with adapters on the aerotwins either.

I agree on the mpg. It's pretty disappointing. I get pretty much the same 26-27 mpg with the cruise at 70. My GTI would break 30 easily on the highway. I think I've only seen 30 on a long trip once in this car.

And do you do 5k or 10k oil changes?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:09 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:18 am

$80CAD/$60USD for the three, which is in line with Bosch wipers available locally. I didn't price online.
I just replaced all 3 on mine yesterday too! I went with the Bosch aerotwins up front and a bosch rear. $26 and $11 on amazon. No need to mess with adapters on the aerotwins either.

I agree on the mpg. It's pretty disappointing. I get pretty much the same 26-27 mpg with the cruise at 70. My GTI would break 30 easily on the highway. I think I've only seen 30 on a long trip once in this car.

This one was a 10k change, longest to date. I try to get in sooner, like 7 or 8k, but the first one was 5k bust because the engine was probably shedding a lot of metal during break in, so good to get that filter out of there.

Online is always cheapest for wipers, I :troywax: purely out of laziness and they were right there and threw them on during the oil change.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:23 am

This one was a 10k change, longest to date. I try to get in sooner, like 7 or 8k, but the first one was 5k bust because the engine was probably shedding a lot of metal during break in, so good to get that filter out of there.

Online is always cheapest for wipers, I :troywax: purely out of laziness and they were right there and threw them on during the oil change.
:notsure:

You did it for the :tits:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm debating whether or not to do 5k or 10k for changes for the R. I'm sure it's probably fine to go 10k especially since it's unmodded. I did 5k changes on my GTI but that's also cause I always had problems they needed to look at while I was there.

I thought about :troywax: 'ing for those PIAA silicone blades or the fancy Bosch's but they're both $50+ for a set. The aerotwins should be good enough.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:59 pm 55k kms and this time I maxed out the full duration of oil life on my service reminder.

When I pulled in to the service bay I checked my oil dipstick and was still where it was filled to at my last oil change. I don't usually go that long but i was doing a whole lot of highway mileage with less abusive driving then i sometimes do. Not much idle time, not much stop and go, so it really was ideal conditions for the oil from a mechanical standpoint. Nice to see that the car doesn't burn oil, coolant or anything else that i could tell from personal observation and the dealership report.

This isn't the most exciting car for the price but man does it ever serving me well. I love it and would have a hard time choosing something else over the :gorf: , i do a lot of driving and when i go somewhere chances are that i really need to get there, so I'd chose new or near new for my primary transportation.

I would like better fuel economy, 26-27 mpg isn't amazing when I'm doing a lot of highway mileage, but I keep in mind that the car can do 0-60 in less than five seconds, and I enjoy that often.

40k (murican units) DSG service is just around the corner, I will go a little beyond the 40k, like probably next oil change which will be closer to the 45k mile mark, again mainly since I'm racking up big miles with cruise set to 72mph.

New windshield wipers front and back thrown it because my service adviser is cute and she gave me 10% off.
Pics.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:09 am

I'm debating whether or not to do 5k or 10k for changes for the R. I'm sure it's probably fine to go 10k especially since it's unmodded. I did 5k changes on my GTI but that's also cause I always had problems they needed to look at while I was there.

I thought about :troywax: 'ing for those PIAA silicone blades or the fancy Bosch's but they're both $50+ for a set. The aerotwins should be good enough.
Why wouldn't you go with 10k. It is perfectly fine, and will outlast your interest in the car. You should blackstone it after 5k and 10k to be sure of course. That's how i determined the interval on the crown vic. It was "3k miles" old after 10k miles in that car according to them.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Why wouldn't you go with 10k. It is perfectly fine, and will outlast your interest in the car. You should blackstone it after 5k and 10k to be sure of course. That's how i determined the interval on the crown vic. It was "3k miles" old after 10k miles in that car according to them.
I've never done blackstone but I probably should since I intend to keep this long term.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:03 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:50 pm

I've never done blackstone but I probably should since I intend to keep this long term.
And this way you can use :science: and actual data to determine your OCI, vs forum bullshit like my uncle, always changes it at 3k or 3 months and I will to.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:05 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:03 pm

And this way you can use :science: and actual data to determine your OCI, vs forum bullshit like my uncle, always changes it at 3k or 3 months and I will to.
Just submitted for the kit. Getting an oil change soon so that's good.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The oil didn't look bad at 10k. I'll probably only go shorter (7-8k) durations in peak summer weather. I'm pretty gentle on the car generally.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The two euro spec LED tail lights i needed to complete the set came in, low and behold they were chipped during shipping so another set is being sent my way. I now have two tail lights with corners chipped off and two inners with the cover plate tabs broken. :impressive: because the first ones bought from some forum bro were shipped by e-acca, and my two were ordered from cars245. The problem is clear as day, the tail lights are bigger then their shipping boxes and the corners get a strip of foam and protrude beyond the box geometry, appearing like a bulge out the top of the box. I'm now convinced that the seller puts a claim in for all lights to shop and get reported as broken, easily doubling their sales figure.

I'm going to keep the two slightly damaged ones and sell the hopefully mint set when they arrive.

Install happens in the spring, I'm not going to play around with plastic covers in this cold.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

[user not found] wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:48 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:14 pm 17s can :gtfo: , real racekar drivers roll on 19s, 20s in the case of the Hype R.
I hate the 20s on the HypeR.

Looks so much better with 18s.

If i’d get a type r, the first thing i would do are wheels. Before it gets bent and it’ll kill me on the inside
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:48 pm

I hate the 20s on the HypeR.

Looks so much better with 18s.

If i’d get a type r, the first thing i would do are wheels. Before it gets bent and it’ll kill me on the inside
I like them, decent cars with a cool motor and :manuel: trans. It's also amazing to see them figure out a way to lay down power to the front wheels with trick suspension.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd have more fun with a hypeR... but prefer the AWD when I think about the snow storm that's coming this Saturday.

Getting rid of 20" ramz for light 18s is a great idea.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:05 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 pm

I like them, decent cars with a cool motor and :manuel: trans. It's also amazing to see them figure out a way to lay down power to the front wheels with trick suspension.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd have more fun with a hypeR... but prefer the AWD when I think about the snow storm that's coming this Saturday.

I k ind of feel like a FoRS or Hype R as an only car would've been a better choice for me, but oh well.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:10 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:05 pm

I k ind of feel like a FoRS or Hype R as an only car would've been a better choice for me, but oh well.
They are both awesome, wondering if the peice tag is too high for :scrooge: lyfe?
Gorfs are starting to hit high 20s to low 30s, FoRS hype ended when the head gasket ordeal popped off but the HypeR is probably still mid or high 30s used if they can even be found.

Honda is supposed to ramp up production quite a bit, so those will likely be depreciating faster in a year or two....
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:10 am I k ind of feel like a FoRS or Hype R as an only car would've been a better choice for me, but oh well.
They are both awesome, wondering if the peice tag is too high for :scrooge: lyfe?
Gorfs are starting to hit high 20s to low 30s, FoRS hype ended when the head gasket ordeal popped off but the HypeR is probably still mid or high 30s used if they can even be found.

Honda is supposed to ramp up production quite a bit, so those will likely be depreciating faster in a year or two....
Are the trans issues fixed?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:47 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:10 am

Would be cheaper than what I've got currently I think... Two cars worth of maintenance and insurance adds up. Plus I could get a decent amount of cash for the :poorvette: , it's paid off, maybe $11-12k. The BMW is likely a wash with $0 :plac: profit, I owe $18-19K on it.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Would be cheaper than what I've got currently I think... Two cars worth of maintenance and insurance adds up. Plus I could get a decent amount of cash for the :poorvette: , it's paid off, maybe $11-12k. The BMW is likely a wash with $0 :plac: profit, I owe $18-19K on it.
I have been looking for FUCKus RS for a M3 replacement, but the prices are rather high... and they are rare enough that it is difficult to find a clean unmolested 17+ model as the 16s are popping headgaskets.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Although compromised, I'm really content with the onc car life right now.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It took some ball breaking, but I finally got a refund for the chipped tail light that I ordered. My total cost for the OEM dynamic blinker euro tails and harness adapters is $425US. Although not cheap, that's a :fuckyeah: discount of 50%! :notbad:

Now if only I could get some spring weather!

Found good use for the savings, I woke up to a furnace that stopped working overnight, and after clearing snow from the furnace exhaust tube outside the vacuum pressure fault turned into a limit fault of some sort. Wife is sick too so she waits for the furnace guy to show up today and I'm at work. If I had more time I think I could fix it assuming it isn't a control board. I think its a simple fix because I bypassed the vacuum pressure and it ran for a while. I probably polluted another sensor that now needs to be cleaned or replaced.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yesterday was a day off for me.....

I decided to install the :wasteful: and :useless: euro spec gorf tail lights on my car. It was a great time.

The coding was pretty cool, the system logic in a typical VW is :mindblown: , there are so many variables in every function block (if that's what they are called). The harness I picked up and build locally was flawless aside from being a little short to run professionally, instead of it being zip tied to the existing harness it needed to cut across the middle of the hatch in a straight line.

I get VW, the control system reminds me of Seimens PLC equipment.

Pics:
Pre coding:

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

People behind me tell me the the car has more appeal, instead of it looking like a TSI there is the impression of a 40k car. 5/7 would do again.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:nice:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So :jelly:

:like:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Dats a nice egg.