Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Ford Performance meatheads are all like this for some reason.

I’d look at a Honda type R first. If you get a used Subaru and are willing to tune I’d skip the STI and go with a WRX, tune it they respond well to that and the motors are more stout than the EJ. From the factory the tune and throttle map are horrific on the WRX.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Type R used is above MSRP. Also giant dubs that have to go and Failwheelsdrive
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:37 pm Type R used is above MSRP. Also giant dubs that have to go and Failwheelsdrive
So get some tire rack rams for it? Not a huge deal just a bit more to sell when it’s done and over with. I’d love a Honda R. Sounds freaking rad.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:37 pm Type R used is above MSRP. Also giant dubs that have to go and Failwheelsdrive
So get some tire rack rams for it? Not a huge deal just a bit more to sell when it’s done and over with. I’d love a Honda R. Sounds freaking rad.
A hype R would require 2 sets of ramz.

They seem like great cars but I still don't believe they can put all that power down on the street.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:49 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
A hype R would require 2 sets of ramz.

They seem like great cars but I still don't believe they can put all that power down on the street.

300 is not that much ... especially with sticky 18s and 245/255
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:51 pm :rage: The GoRf really is the best jack of all trades. I'd love to have one that works reliably.

There are only 6 certified Fuckus RS' on autotrader but Fraud quality scares me. All the used ones look like this....

Corvette fender hashes and other fender badging on your Fuckus RS? Sure, why not.

Hennessey Performance badge from those hacks? Check.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

The problem I have with the FoRS is you’re sitting inside a $45k Ford Focus. Everything you touch that isn’t a recaro seat is $15k econobox. That’s the one thing that stuck with me for the few days I spent with one.

Even in my $22k FoST, the interior was... rough.

The interior in my Mexican GTI has by far and away the nicest interior in a sub $35-$40k car out there, short of the entry level luxury platforms.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Also, we are a Cobb dealer at work now, so I tuned the GTI for $250.

My car is now perfect.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:43 pm Also, we are a Cobb dealer at work now, so I tuned the GTI for $250.

My car is now perfect.
:nice: little stage 1 tune?
I want to drive your :turboyaris: sometime.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote:Also, we are a Cobb dealer at work now, so I tuned the GTI for $250.

My car is now perfect.
:nice:

Stage 1 puts it at close to 300hp right?

Have you done clutch research?

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:16 am
fledonfoot wrote:Also, we are a Cobb dealer at work now, so I tuned the GTI for $250.

My car is now perfect.
:nice:

I'm running the stage 1 91 Octane file... a modest increase

The stage 1 93 octane file is a bit more aggressive.

Cobb only really call for clutch upgrades on the stage 2 files. I haven't tried the 93 file yet, but the 91 file has given me no issues so far.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:16 am :nice:

I'm running the stage 1 91 Octane file... a modest increase

The stage 1 93 octane file is a bit more aggressive.

Cobb only really call for clutch upgrades on the stage 2 files. I haven't tried the 93 file yet, but the 91 file has given me no issues so far.
You probably should. It seems like once people get a t00n on Mk7's the clutches go soon after. Even more so than it did on the Mk6.

How about a used S3? Although that's probably :ludacris:

Same car but maybe I'll get "premium" service. Hopefully.

max225

Going S3 after golf is :fullretard: same car worse packaging.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

S3 makes perfect sense if buying used, IMO.

$40k GoRf with 20k miles? $32k
$50k S3 with 20k miles? ... $32k

If you don't need a hatch and like round vents, then I don't know why you wouldn't consider the S3. They cost the exact same if buying used. The Golf interior is nice, but the A3 interior is nicer.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:56 pm Going S3 after golf is :fullretard: same car worse packaging.
It is. But damn does the Audi look good.

M240i or M2 may be problems being rwd and northeast winters.

Also, I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it before, but the R also chirps on overnight startups. I'll post a video later but when I had it in at the dillerman they claim it didn't make the noise.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:56 pm Going S3 after golf is :fullretard: same car worse packaging.

Also, I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it before, but the R also chirps on overnight startups. I'll post a video later but when I had it in at the dillerman they claim it didn't make the noise.
M2 is quite expensive compared to a golf R. M240i is boring. A 240i will handle worse than golf R stock for stock, it is also kind of ugly IMO. The M version fixes it. then again an Egg isn't exactly a looker.
Last edited by max225 on Thu May 30, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

coogles wrote:S3 makes perfect sense if buying used, IMO.

If you don't need a hatch and like round vents, then I don't know why you wouldn't consider the S3. They cost the exact same if buying used. The Golf interior is nice, but the A3 interior is nicer.
:manuel: :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:45 pm
coogles wrote:S3 makes perfect sense if buying used, IMO.

:manuel: :doe:
I'm sure I'm :wrong:, but I think the AWD MQB cars are better with the DSG. I wouldn't buy a GTI with one because drag racing a GTI is dumb, but the AWD cars are a full second faster in the quarter in most cases than the 6M cars. Have driven a stage 2 Golf R, and keeping up with that car with a VW manual gearbox would be more frustrating than fun. The STi gearbox? Sign me up. But not with the clutch and shifter action in a Golf R.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I'd probably get DSG on a VW/audi product too, but a lot of people still buy the :manuel: in murica on the GTI/R.

Realistically I kind of want an A3 quattro or 4mo GSW, in part because DSG can hold up to the torque of a tune better and in part so that :tits: can drive it. A tuned A3 is already plenty quick, probably on par with a stock S3/R for $10-15k less.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:05 pm I'd probably get DSG on a VW/audi product too, but a lot of people still buy the :manuel: in murica on the GTI/R.

Realistically I kind of want an A3 quattro or 4mo GSW, in part because DSG can hold up to the torque of a tune better and in part so that :tits: can drive it. A tuned A3 is already plenty quick, probably on par with a stock S3/R for $10-15k less.
They have something like a 50% take rate. Because MANUEL TILL I DIE BREH!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:44 pm

M2 is quite expensive compared to a golf R. M240i is boring. A 240i will handle worse than golf R stock for stock, it is also kind of ugly IMO. The M version fixes it. then again an Egg isn't exactly a looker.
Used ones aren't too bad. Looking at used BMW's seriously :triggered: me though. The amount of cars listed as a manual but are actually automatic is too damn high. It always seems to be BMW's too.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:49 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:45 pm :manuel: :doe:
I'm sure I'm :wrong:, but I think the AWD MQB cars are better with the DSG. I wouldn't buy a GTI with one because drag racing a GTI is dumb, but the AWD cars are a full second faster in the quarter in most cases than the 6M cars. Have driven a stage 2 Golf R, and keeping up with that car with a VW manual gearbox would be more frustrating than fun. The STi gearbox? Sign me up. But not with the clutch and shifter action in a Golf R.
Having driven a stock :gorf: for a year I agree. R is better with DSG. GTI is better with a :manuel:

I could try improving the shifter with the dieselgeek lever and some bushings but I don't know if it'd be worth it.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:07 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:44 pm

Used ones aren't too bad. Looking at used BMW's seriously :triggered: me though. The amount of cars listed as a manual but are actually automatic is too damn high. It always seems to be BMW's too.

Used M2s are well into the 40s, that's nearly double what a used R costs. :iono: Also the DCT is a decent trans this car is too fast to have a :manuel: unless you truly MUST have a manual.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:24 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:07 pm

Used M2s are well into the 40s, that's nearly double what a used R costs. :iono: Also the DCT is a decent trans this car is too fast to have a :manuel: unless you truly MUST have a manual.
Well I don't think I should :nuke: this R for another used R. That's full on :plac:

You're probably right but I can't let :manuel: go in a sports car.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:57 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Well I don't think I should :nuke: this R for another used R. That's full on :plac:

You're probably right but I can't let :manuel: go in a sports car.
Why not?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I have never had an issue in NJ winters with RWD vehicles. My truck spends nearly all winter in RWD.

Good tires make a hell of a difference.